Skip to content

Vote for the Biggest Epic Fail

The Browns Board
30 12 957
  • Random thoughts on this process of elimination:

    Delete anyone drafted below #20: Tebow, Quinn, Drukenmiller, Marinovich

    Delete anyone with 5000 yds or 20 TDs: Spurrier, Thompson

    Include in Top Ten, anyone drafted in first 5 picks: Norton, Schlichter, Shuler, Leaf, Smith,Russell

    Include any of the others that had less than 2k yards or 10 TDs: McQwire, Ware, Stouffer, Campbell, Pisarkewisz, Tagge

    Those in bold are my final 12. Now, how to get down from there? If I eliminate anyone not drafted in the Top Ten, I delete Tagge, Pisarkewisz, and McGwire, leaving me with 9.

    If I now delete anyone with either 3000 or more career yards, or 10 or more career TDs, I delete Russell, Shuler, and Leaf. (I know that Leaf and Russell may be a lot of peoples 1-2...but by my process, I am eliminating them.) Giving me my final Six:, Rick Norton

    Rich Campell, Art Schlichter,Andre Ware,Kelly Stouffer, Akili Smith

    How to eliminate one? I guess I will do it the way ESPN and some others do: believe that the planet didn't begin until 1970...so Rick Norton gets tossed....as he was drafted in the "dark ages". All the others were post 1980.

    So, here is my Final Five most Epically Failed First Round draft pick QBs of all time:

    1981 Rich Campbell #6 overall pick. 386 career yards and 3 TDs

    1982 Art Schlichter #4 overall pick. 1006 career yards and 3 TDs

    1987 Kelly Stouffer #6 overall pick. 2333 yards and 7 TDs

    1990 Andre Ware #7 overall pick. 1112 yards. 5 TDs

    1999 Akili Smith #3 overall pick. 2212 yards. 5 TDs.

  • Any reason you didn't post the win loss record of everyone?

    WSS

  • Any reason you didn't post the win loss record of everyone?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Any reason you didn't post the win loss record of everyone?

    WSS

    I didn't see it all for everyone, or I thought other factors were more relevent. E.g. I think one guy went like 3-3 in his starts.....but the fact that he only got those 6 starts seemed more telling to me.

  • Jamarcus Russell hands down. He was supposed to be better the anyone on that list

  • Also why isn't Weeden on that list?

  • Leaf

    Thompson

    Ware

    Smith

    Russell

    And a tip of chardonnay or some gay fruity cocktail to Shep on the Quinn/Leinart combo ... there should be a special category for "Busted QBs that were most beloved by the metrosexual population"

  • schlicter

    marinovich

    leaf

    russell

    mcgwire

    some would say leaf would be top but when you know what happened to schlicter and marinovich in their lives after the game.....

    @miktoxic said:

    schlicter

    marinovich

    leaf

    russell

    mcgwire

    some would say leaf would be top but when you know what happened to schlicter and marinovich in their lives after the game.....

    Especially Marinovich.... Watched a special on him today and I have a lot in common with him as far as the demons I have has to fight.... He seems to be a great guy these days though. Wish the best for him. As someone who lived through the hell that Mari did I feel deeply for the guy. So much potential, wasted..... I mean the guy threw ten touchdown passes in an Arena football game whilst going through withdrawals. I'm just glad I got my life together way way sooner in my journey than he did.... God so many years he wasted....

    I'd have to say:

    Marinovich

    J. Russel

    Leaf

    Akili Smith

    Schlicter

  • yeah i saw the same special. i tell you the father put too much on that kid, but that's neither here nor there.

    in my wild times in the army and just getting out i did a lot of stoopid shit but never touched that. but there were many times where i ended up places that i should have never been and look back at it now thinking how many times i should/could have been dead.

    hey, todays a new day and i'm glad to hear you've beat those demons down.

    let's hope the browns finally have the monkey off their back.

  • Leaf

    Thompson

    Ware

    Smith

    Russell

    And a tip of chardonnay or some gay fruity cocktail to Shep on the Quinn/Leinart combo ... there should be a special category for "Busted QBs that were most beloved by the metrosexual population"

    Zombo said:

    Leaf

    Thompson

    Ware

    Smith

    Russell

    And a tip of chardonnay or some gay fruity cocktail to Shep on the Quinn/Leinart combo ... there should be a special category for "Busted QBs that were most beloved by the metrosexual population"

    Gee, you forgot one of Shep's other Man-Crushes, Joey Harrington. (hey Gip JH was drafted #3 overall IIRC) yes. he had a lot of yards, but a 26-50 W-L record, and a 69 QBR. Shep was still in love with him for years (as he was with Leinart). Long after it was painfully obvious they both sucked.

    I have to nominate Mike Phipps as the biggest Browns bust- considering we traded away a HOFer for him. Amazingly (I would have lost big money on it) Phipps actually had a winning record as a qb- though I don't know how- with 55 TD passes, 108 picks, and a QBR of 52.

  • Leaf

    Thompson

    Ware

    Smith

    Russell

    And a tip of chardonnay or some gay fruity cocktail to Shep on the Quinn/Leinart combo ... there should be a special category for "Busted QBs that were most beloved by the metrosexual population"

    Zombo said:

    And a tip of pinot grigio or some faggy-ass lt rum umbrella cocktail to Shlep on the Quinn/Leinart combo ... there should be a special category for "Busted QBs that were most beloved by the metrosexual population"

    as much love as he has for QB's i suspect he's more "metroflexible"...a potential warrior for the browneye...also known in closed circles as "craigslist gay".

    alright let's stop talking about him since he regularly searches his name here as a keyword...or he'll be poppin by slobbering about yet another of his man-crushes "the currently still relevant alex smith"...

    didn't he like Clausen pickle too?? or maybe it was Tannehill. actually i think it was both, depending upon the thread. fuck it who cares.

  • with the amount of TD's Spurrier Reaves and Thompson had you'd think they would have had better records in their respective eras.

    i'm assuming there were also rushing TD's scored by their teams not included in that TD count as well?

    regardless, that's a lot of scoring back then to still lose games...these stats arent telling the whole story obviously.

    EDIT oh yeah...and my Most Horrible QB vote goes to **drum roll** the epically inept Mr. Dan McGuire. Esquire.

  • Jamarcus Russell hands down. He was supposed to be better the anyone on that list

    @browns149 said:

    Jamarcus Russell hands down. He was supposed to be better the anyone on that list

    I asked for your top 5. Can you count to 5? I ask for 5 in order to assess the worst 5. So just voting for one does not allow me to give a full assessment.

  • Also why isn't Weeden on that list?

    @browns149 said:

    Also why isn't Weeden on that list?

    Because the fact is, as bad as he is...he isn't as bad as all these other guys. You just think so because your team picked him very recently. Plus...the fact is, his career is far from over.....he could still do something. These others are done.

  • Zombo said:

    Leaf

    Thompson

    Ware

    Smith

    Russell

    And a tip of chardonnay or some gay fruity cocktail to Shep on the Quinn/Leinart combo ... there should be a special category for "Busted QBs that were most beloved by the metrosexual population"

    Gee, you forgot one of Shep's other Man-Crushes, Joey Harrington. (hey Gip JH was drafted #3 overall IIRC) yes. he had a lot of yards, but a 26-50 W-L record, and a 69 QBR. Shep was still in love with him for years (as he was with Leinart). Long after it was painfully obvious they both sucked.

    I have to nominate Mike Phipps as the biggest Browns bust- considering we traded away a HOFer for him. Amazingly (I would have lost big money on it) Phipps actually had a winning record as a qb- though I don't know how- with 55 TD passes, 108 picks, and a QBR of 52.

    @hoorta said:

    Gee, you forgot one of Shep's other Man-Crushes, Joey Harrington. (hey Gip JH was drafted #3 overall IIRC) yes. he had a lot of yards, but a 26-50 W-L record, and a 69 QBR. Shep was still in love with him for years (as he was with Leinart). Long after it was painfully obvious they both sucked.

    I have to nominate Mike Phipps as the biggest Browns bust- considering we traded away a HOFer for him. Amazingly (I would have lost big money on it) Phipps actually had a winning record as a qb- though I don't know how- with 55 TD passes, 108 picks, and a QBR of 52.

    Give me your five Hoorta

    I am trying to come up with a consensus worst 5....come on guys, grade school: 1,2,3,4,5.

    (Also, no, as bad as Phipps seemed to us then, he would have been the best QB we would have seen here in 15 years.....gggggg!)

  • sorry Gip i just voted one as well...i just couldnt decide.

    if im being honest i was more into bashing Schlep.

    (5 bux says after today he now includes "shlep" and "schlep" in his egomaniacal keyword searches for himself...)

  • Gee, you forgot one of Shep's other Man-Crushes, Joey Harrington. (hey Gip JH was drafted #3 overall IIRC) yes. he had a lot of yards, but a 26-50 W-L record, and a 69 QBR. Shep was still in love with him for years (as he was with Leinart). Long after it was painfully obvious they both sucked.

    Are you saying that Shep was Poetic G version 1.0?

  • Let's Add one more component to this thread....separate and aside from the vote on worst Epic Fail of the Past:

    That is: Epic Failure of the Future. Vote for which QB in this coming draft could be the best candidate to join the above list of Epic Failures.

  • Gee, you forgot one of Shep's other Man-Crushes, Joey Harrington. (hey Gip JH was drafted #3 overall IIRC) yes. he had a lot of yards, but a 26-50 W-L record, and a 69 QBR. Shep was still in love with him for years (as he was with Leinart). Long after it was painfully obvious they both sucked.

    Are you saying that Shep was Poetic G version 1.0?

    @the-gipper said:

    Gee, you forgot one of Shep's other Man-Crushes, Joey Harrington. (hey Gip JH was drafted #3 overall IIRC) yes. he had a lot of yards, but a 26-50 W-L record, and a 69 QBR. Shep was still in love with him for years (as he was with Leinart). Long after it was painfully obvious they both sucked.

    Are you saying that Shep was Poetic G version 1.0?

    Now that you got me to think about it Gip, yes he was (is). Only slobbers over qbs, though. You can bet (if the Browns had the #1 overall) he'd be screaming for the Browns to take a qb, even though Clowney is a once in 10 year talent, and frankly, none of the qbs are. Gee, I forgot about his manly crush on the Clausen Pickle- Alzheimer's must be setting in. 🙁 He'd be far more tolerable if he'd just admit he's been dead wrong a number of times.

    Oh, he's over on the other Board with the same schtick (I occasionally visit- there are some great posters that originally started here, and some guys like Jason J don't much care for the occasional low level of discussion we have here.) Shep's current man-love is JF, subject to change. Maybe he'll kill himself if the Browns don't draft a qb @ #4 this year.

    PS- since you asked for my top 5 worst. Campbell and Druckenmiller- any qb in the first round who can't make 1,000 yards passing was a monumental bust. Art Schlichter, A-kill-me "worm burner" Smith, and so many stinkers to choose from for the 5th. Have to go with Ryan Leaf, with a dishonorable mention to JaFattus Russell.

  • Gip I would have to say the biggest fail of this draft at QB is going to be Teddy B.... I just get the sense that though this guy may have been a good college QB, he doesn't have the "it" to succeed in the NFL. He is just so, I don't know, vanilla! I have been wrong many times before but that is my two cents.

  • Gip I would have to say the biggest fail of this draft at QB is going to be Teddy B.... I just get the sense that though this guy may have been a good college QB, he doesn't have the "it" to succeed in the NFL. He is just so, I don't know, vanilla! I have been wrong many times before but that is my two cents.

    GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Gip I would have to say the biggest fail of this draft at QB is going to be Teddy B.... I just get the sense that though this guy may have been a good college QB, he doesn't have the "it" to succeed in the NFL. He is just so, I don't know, vanilla! I have been wrong many times before but that is my two cents.

    I don't know, like I said, I see a lot of Warren Moon in him. (yes, I am going with the fact they are both black, but beyond that I think there can be a lot of similarities.)