Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Draft Day Review

Draft Day Review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
6 Posts 6 Posters 721 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Draft Day

    Summit Entertainment

    PG 13 110 min

    To those of you who are not football fans I would imagine Kevin Costner's latest sports film draft day would probably hold precious little interest.it is basically a pseudo insiders look into the machinations that go on behind the scenes in the National Football League.

    In case you weren't aware the process leading up to the NFL Draft is going on as we speak and probably no one in the league is more involved in controversy than our own Cleveland Browns.

    Even those of us who regularly listen to sports talk and argue on the message boards really have a tiny idea of what actually goes on inside a team headquarters. Rumor has it that draft day was originally written with various other NFL teams in mind but, as it should be, the producers realized that the Browns are blessed with the greatest fans in the league if not the greatest win loss record over the last few decades.

    It may seem strange but I find myself watching this movie with the same mindset as when I watched NOAH. First of all is this an accurate depiction of how the inner circle of the team works? And second is it an entertaining movie regardless of that. Here's what I am guessing. I'm sure there are some similarities but the basic deal, which I won't reveal here, is something that most experts agree would never ever happened in the real world.

    Right off the bat (from the kickoff?) I will tell you that there's no doubt this will be more interesting to those of us in Northeast Ohio that it will any of the other 31 cities that host a pro football team. Second a couple similarities are quite striking, whether or not they are coincidence. In the film the quarterback oddly enough named Brian had a bad knee injury this season previous to the draft and the team is considering drafting a quarterback very very high. As we bicker about Teddy Twatwater Johnny Manziel Derek Carr and Blake Bortles there are many who hope that Brian Hoyer will come back from his injury and lead the team to the promised land.

    There are also many who are on the fence about drafting a high profile quarterback with our first pick.

    I'm not sure if that element was filmed quickly before the release or just chance.

    Still since most people in America are not Browns fans, even though they should be, the main point is entertainment value. I'll admit my grade is probably a letter grade higher just because it's the Brownies.

    Basically Sonny Weaver is on the hotseat as GM who needs to put together a draft that will be successful as well as make headlines. He’s also the son of a Cleveland coaching legend.

    I think draft day falls a little flat because Kevin Costner is not a particularly sympathetic character. He seems a little abrasive and bitter about being expected to follow in his famous fathers footsteps. I personally didn't get the chemistry between Weaver (Costner) and his girlfriend nor did I completely understand the animosity he held against his mother. There is a scene in which his hostility overrides his fathers last wishes concerning the crematory ashes is a character flaw I never truly got over.

    Most football fans would honor the old man IMO.

    As for the ending? Sure it was fun but if you know anything about football realize it's ridiculous. I won’t get specific. Not a chance in hell that would happen. So I give this movie a B-. Had it not been my Cleveland Browns I’d have given it a C. It was, after all, fun hearing Tony Rizzo and seeing some Browns players and shots of Cleveland.

    B-

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
      #2

      A couple of other coincidences: One of the best players available in the movie draft is a Linebacker from Ohios State named "Vontae Mack"....and it just so happens that one of the best players in the real draft this year is a linebacker name Khalil Mack who had his biggest exposure in a game against Ohio St.. (Again, coincidence or no?).

      Also....there is talk on the regular board about the Cowboys being desperate to take Bo Callahan...errrr...Johnny Manziel in the first round....and I said....sure, the cost to move up is 3 first round picks. If I were Ray Weavfarmer that is what I would ask the Cowboys for....and I think he could do it with a somewhat straight face. Life imitating art.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • slowburn slowburnS
        • 2k Posts
        • 116 Reputation
        slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
        #3

        its been said Gipper is gay for Costner

        1 Reply Last reply
        πŸ‘
        Quote Reply
        • SCDawg82 SCDawg82S
          • 170 Posts
          • 5 Reputation
          SCDawg82S SCDawg82 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          They should have taken the Quarterback! 😎

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • larryfine L
            • 206 Posts
            • 5 Reputation
            L larryfine wrote on last edited by
            #5

            This was a great movie based on a true story.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Axe AxeA Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 10k Posts
              • 8k Reputation
              AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
              #6

              "Two Days in April" was pretty decent too. More of a documentary and I'm partial to it because a large part of it was filmed at IMG academy here in town.. I ran into Nick Bollettieri grabbing a South Philly Cheesesteak recently.. The man is a dynamo, and a trip.... Love that guy 😎

              Our musical works to date http://www.arielsatticmusic.com/
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              Theme
              • System
              • Light
              • Dark
              The Browns Board Terms Privacy

              The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Forums
              • Recent
              • Popular
              • Users
              • Donate