Skip to content

Scott Wright's New Mock

The Browns Board
22 12 2.0k
  • @shepwrite said:

    The OBR guys keep puking every time a national media type says the Browns will draft Jenkins because, well...

    Because there's alcohol even in the Bud Light they swill....

    😄

    I'm gonna puke if they waste another high pick for an average player at a huge price.

    Trade down.

    WSS

  • @ballpeen said:

    From New Era

    http://www.newerascouting.com/2009-nfl-mock-draft/

    I'm intrigued by mocks that have us taking Brown over Orakpo. I wonder if those people think Orakpo can't play OLB or that Brown's just a better prospect.

  • rey has seemingly fallen out of popular predraft favor.. I still like him even over curry.

  • @ballpeen said:

    From New Era

    http://www.newerascouting.com/2009-nfl-mock-draft/

    I'm intrigued by mocks that have us taking Brown over Orakpo. I wonder if those people think Orakpo can't play OLB or that Brown's just a better prospect.

    Aloysius said:

    I'm intrigued by mocks that have us taking Brown over Orakpo. I wonder if those people think Orakpo can't play OLB or that Brown's just a better prospect.

    it seems like brown's the hot prospect at the moment, whereas orakpo was hot during the season but interest in him tapered off towards the end. brown's rise is similar to vernon gholston's last year, but nowhere near as meteoric.

  • Yeah, I wouldn't love a Jenkins pick, and I doubt Mangini, who's been getting by with retreads like Hank Poteat and Otis Smith since he was a defensive assistant with the Pats, is going to go CB. But what do I know?

    And oh, how I hate when they justify the pick because a guy played for a nearby college. Who gives a shit?

    @heckofajobbrownie said:

    Yeah, I wouldn't love a Jenkins pick, and I doubt Mangini, who's been getting by with retreads like Hank Poteat and Otis Smith since he was a defensive assistant with the Pats, is going to go CB. But what do I know?

    It's also a well known fact that he loves big, physical Corners. That's why he traded up to grab Derrelle Revis.

    As a matter of fact, both of the Jets corners are around 6' and over 200 lbs.

    At 6'1" and just over 200 pounds and a great tackler, He's right up Mangini's alley.

    I hope he doesn't go after Jenkins at #5. I think he's more of a 15 to 25 area draft pick.

  • Aloysius said:

    I'm intrigued by mocks that have us taking Brown over Orakpo. I wonder if those people think Orakpo can't play OLB or that Brown's just a better prospect.

    it seems like brown's the hot prospect at the moment, whereas orakpo was hot during the season but interest in him tapered off towards the end. brown's rise is similar to vernon gholston's last year, but nowhere near as meteoric.

    @jewdago said:

    brown's rise is similar to vernon gholston's last year, but nowhere near as meteoric.

    Not yet.

    I think Orapko overtakes Brown by the time the combine ends.

  • @ballpeen said:

    From New Era

    http://www.newerascouting.com/2009-nfl-mock-draft/

    I'm intrigued by mocks that have us taking Brown over Orakpo. I wonder if those people think Orakpo can't play OLB or that Brown's just a better prospect.

    Aloysius said:

    I'm intrigued by mocks that have us taking Brown over Orakpo. I wonder if those people think Orakpo can't play OLB or that Brown's just a better prospect.

    I don't know....maybe they feel Brown is more the tweener to switch to 3-4 backer and Orakpo is more a 4-3 end?

    The combine will shift some players....so those start in a few weeks.

    Once those are over, most of the sites will end up with fairly similar boards.....not picks mind you, but the players will start to fall in to similar slots, were now you can go around and see various players pretty high one place and lower in another.

    Scouting is kind of funny.....if everybody but you has a guy rated high....even if you don't agree...all of a sudden the rating changes a bit.

  • Walter's new mock has us taking Curry & Shonn Greene.

    Interestingly, he has Brown going before Orakpo, and to a 3-4 team (SF). Not sure he's right about that, and I think he's way off putting Michael Oher in the top 10.

  • i agree completely on oher. he's got all the physical ability in the world but hasn't ever put it all together. i don't think he has the IQ (football nor otherwise) to properly harness his ability. someone is going to take him in the first round and be very upset in two years that they didn't go a different direction.

    as good as curry's going to be, i'm starting to think that going after an ILB in FA and taking an OLB in the draft could be just as beneficial because it would still let us grab a RB in the second and would let us fill three holes instead of two.

    if we get a pass rusher in FA, i'm more comfortable taking curry, but i don't know how the same guys that got only 12.5 non shaun rogers sacks last year can get more pressure when they're playing essentially the same scheme that we've seen for the past four years.

  • I guess it all depends on what FA's we can afford. Don't know if we'll be in the running for guys like Bart Scott and Karlos Dansby. More likely, we'll sign an aging veteran like Barton or a modest upside guy like Ricky Brown (Raiders) or Pat Thomas (Chiefs). If that's the case, then I think you have to take Curry - he's way better than those guys.

    Unfortunately, the OLB options are either ridiculously expensive (Peppers, Suggs) or old (Bertrand Berry, possibly Greg Ellis).

    One more thing to ponder: our OLB's are much smaller than the guys Mangini seemed to prefer in New York. Vernon Gholton was actually the smallest guy he brought in, and he's 10 pounds & a ton of muscle bigger than Wimbley. So I'm not sure Everette Browns fits the mold. Unfortunately, intriguing Round 2/3 guys like Cody Brown (6'2", 242 lbs.) may also be out of consideration.

    I think you could see us bring in a guy like Utah's Paul Kruger (6'5", 265 lbs.) in Round 2, then sign Greg Ellis (6'6", 262 lbs.) when Dallas cuts him. That would seem to fit Mangini's MO.

  • it's unfortunate that we're in the cap situation that we are, though i'd prefer curry to bart scott, and would say he's likely going to be at least the kind of player that dansby is.

    i think it really hurts us with guys like suggs and peppers, though i think both of them are likely to be franchised by their respective teams and, in peppers' case, shipped out for picks, and, in suggs' case, signed to a large, long-term deal.

    as far as size goes, larry english is 254 right now, and it seems that maualuga would have the exact kind of size that mangini wants, while frantz joseph and curry are a bit smalller than the kind of guys he likes.

    it would be very frustrating to see us not upgrade the running game. two yards and a pile of shit is no way to win a game.

  • I'd love to see us snag a 2nd or 3rd for DA and grab 2 lbs and a powerback in the first 3 rounds and a center or guard in the 4th.

    Whatever extras we can get from trading down plus whatever we've got left should be used on a developmental OT and DE.

    At least that's what I'd gun for.

  • I saw a yahoo mock this morning that had us taking Brown and McCoy.

    Browns name keeps popping up and nobody around here seems very excited about it...I think we may have to wrap our arms around that.

    More and more it looks like KC is going with Curry.

    Just something about Brown I can't get all fired up about.....but everywhere you go his name is at the top of the draft boards.

    I just don't know what to think. ??

  • I think Brown is terrific, but I think that of Curry and Orakpo and Raji as a pick, too.

    McCoy over Victor Harris or Sean Smith, the cb's ? No way. McCoy over a big quality ROG or RT ? Nope.

    A change of pace back is already Harrison:

    But many scouts are mixed on McCoy. He has decent instincts and is certainly sporting a nice mixture of size and speed. It also takes a lot to knock him down. On many occasions, his superb balance and control have kept McCoy upright when most backs would be lying on the ground. But he does not run between the tackles very well or often.

    While not running between the tackles is a concern for most starting backs, that does not mean McCoy can not find a place in the NFL. In this day and age of multiple running backs, he can be a great change of pace back who can run to the outside and catch the ball out of the backfield. If he tests well at the combine McCoy could be a first day selection this year.

  • it's unfortunate that we're in the cap situation that we are, though i'd prefer curry to bart scott, and would say he's likely going to be at least the kind of player that dansby is.

    i think it really hurts us with guys like suggs and peppers, though i think both of them are likely to be franchised by their respective teams and, in peppers' case, shipped out for picks, and, in suggs' case, signed to a large, long-term deal.

    as far as size goes, larry english is 254 right now, and it seems that maualuga would have the exact kind of size that mangini wants, while frantz joseph and curry are a bit smalller than the kind of guys he likes.

    it would be very frustrating to see us not upgrade the running game. two yards and a pile of shit is no way to win a game.

    @jewdago said:

    as far as size goes, larry english is 254 right now, and it seems that maualuga would have the exact kind of size that mangini wants, while frantz joseph and curry are a bit smalller than the kind of guys he likes.

    I think Curry & Joseph are fine; it's more the OLB's that Mangini likes big. David Harris is listed at 6'2", 243 lbs. (same size as Joseph, smaller than Curry) and Eric Barton's 6'2", 245 lbs.