Skip to content

OFFICIAL 2014 UDFA Thread

The Browns Board
124 34 6.3k
  • I expect Shaw to battle with the Thig for a roster spot, although I could see us keeping both. Shaw won't clear waivers to make it to the practice squad, yet he's a very interesting prospect. With the way injuries have decimated Cleveland QB's as well as Shanahan QB's, keeping three active QB's and an emergency QB isn't that far fetched.

  • I expect Shaw to battle with the Thig for a roster spot, although I could see us keeping both. Shaw won't clear waivers to make it to the practice squad, yet he's a very interesting prospect. With the way injuries have decimated Cleveland QB's as well as Shanahan QB's, keeping three active QB's and an emergency QB isn't that far fetched.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I expect Shaw to battle with the Thig for a roster spot, although I could see us keeping both. Shaw won't clear waivers to make it to the practice squad, yet he's a very interesting prospect. With the way injuries have decimated Cleveland QB's as well as Shanahan QB's, keeping three active QB's and an emergency QB isn't that far fetched.

    We won't keep 4 qb's on the roster to start the season. Thig is too old to store on the PS, but I imagine he gets cut when we move down to 53 and they keep his phone # in case something happens. That way he has all preseason to go over the playbook and learn everything.

  • Also guys, please note that after the cuts, we still have room for 3 more players that can be added. More than likely, even when considering we will cut a few of the guys we signed to contracts after rookie camp, we will likely be signing at least 3 of the guys we bring in for tryouts, plus UDFA that are cut from other teams/veteran players cut from other teams.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I expect Shaw to battle with the Thig for a roster spot, although I could see us keeping both. Shaw won't clear waivers to make it to the practice squad, yet he's a very interesting prospect. With the way injuries have decimated Cleveland QB's as well as Shanahan QB's, keeping three active QB's and an emergency QB isn't that far fetched.

    We won't keep 4 qb's on the roster to start the season. Thig is too old to store on the PS, but I imagine he gets cut when we move down to 53 and they keep his phone # in case something happens. That way he has all preseason to go over the playbook and learn everything.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    We won't keep 4 qb's on the roster to start the season. Thig is too old to store on the PS, but I imagine he gets cut when we move down to 53 and they keep his phone # in case something happens. That way he has all preseason to go over the playbook and learn everything.

    Thig has a much better chance of making the opening day 53 than Shaw.

    I highly doubt they'd keep a guy with only 5 starts to his career and back him up with two rookies, one of which a UDFA.

    If anyone gets the axe, it would likely be Shaw.

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    We won't keep 4 qb's on the roster to start the season. Thig is too old to store on the PS, but I imagine he gets cut when we move down to 53 and they keep his phone # in case something happens. That way he has all preseason to go over the playbook and learn everything.

    Thig has a much better chance of making the opening day 53 than Shaw.

    I highly doubt they'd keep a guy with only 5 starts to his career and back him up with two rookies, one of which a UDFA.

    If anyone gets the axe, it would likely be Shaw.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Thig has a much better chance of making the opening day 53 than Shaw.

    I highly doubt they'd keep a guy with only 5 starts to his career and back him up with two rookies, one of which a UDFA.

    If anyone gets the axe, it would likely be Shaw.

    Unless he practices really bad I don't see that happening. Like I said, they keep shaw all offseason and preseason so he can learn the offense, cut him when they need to trim it to 53, and then if Hoyer or Manziel go down, they resign him. I don't think Shaw has any chance of seeing playing time this year, but at the same time I don't think they are going to risk putting him on the PS unless he doesn't do well during the preseason.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Thig has a much better chance of making the opening day 53 than Shaw.

    I highly doubt they'd keep a guy with only 5 starts to his career and back him up with two rookies, one of which a UDFA.

    If anyone gets the axe, it would likely be Shaw.

    Unless he practices really bad I don't see that happening. Like I said, they keep shaw all offseason and preseason so he can learn the offense, cut him when they need to trim it to 53, and then if Hoyer or Manziel go down, they resign him. I don't think Shaw has any chance of seeing playing time this year, but at the same time I don't think they are going to risk putting him on the PS unless he doesn't do well during the preseason.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    Unless he practices really bad I don't see that happening. Like I said, they keep shaw all offseason and preseason so he can learn the offense, cut him when they need to trim it to 53, and then if Hoyer or Manziel go down, they resign him. I don't think Shaw has any chance of seeing playing time this year, but at the same time I don't think they are going to risk putting him on the PS unless he doesn't do well during the preseason.

    Except Shaw would be snatched up within hours of being cut, so that reasoning is flawed.

    Shaw is too valuable to cut, but too disposable to matter. He's a guy they'd try to sneak on the practice squad, but wouldn't clear waivers.

  • Our Supposed Best Undrafted WR

    Here he is. I guess he broke all records at Ball State and "all he did was make plays."

    Willie Snead

  • That was FUN to watch. Outstanding focus, even when being mugged.

    Interesting udfa !

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    Unless he practices really bad I don't see that happening. Like I said, they keep shaw all offseason and preseason so he can learn the offense, cut him when they need to trim it to 53, and then if Hoyer or Manziel go down, they resign him. I don't think Shaw has any chance of seeing playing time this year, but at the same time I don't think they are going to risk putting him on the PS unless he doesn't do well during the preseason.

    Except Shaw would be snatched up within hours of being cut, so that reasoning is flawed.

    Shaw is too valuable to cut, but too disposable to matter. He's a guy they'd try to sneak on the practice squad, but wouldn't clear waivers.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Except Shaw would be snatched up within hours of being cut, so that reasoning is flawed.

    Shaw is too valuable to cut, but too disposable to matter. He's a guy they'd try to sneak on the practice squad, but wouldn't clear waivers.

    Ideally, Shaw comes up with an "Injury" and we can shelve him for a season at the end of camp.

    I think we are going to get Thiggy with it for the 3rd QB spot for a year just because he has experience, and if Hoyer goes down again, we have none of that.

    Of course ... we are not talking about a ton of experience here ... Our four QBs have started a grand total of five games since 2009 (Hoyer 4, Thiggy 1).

    But the Thigster did have an 11 game run as the starter with KC in 2008 ... he went 1-10.

    Zombo

  • Also guys, please note that after the cuts, we still have room for 3 more players that can be added. More than likely, even when considering we will cut a few of the guys we signed to contracts after rookie camp, we will likely be signing at least 3 of the guys we bring in for tryouts, plus UDFA that are cut from other teams/veteran players cut from other teams.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    Also guys, please note that after the cuts, we still have room for 3 more players that can be added. More than likely, even when considering we will cut a few of the guys we signed to contracts after rookie camp, we will likely be signing at least 3 of the guys we bring in for tryouts, plus UDFA that are cut from other teams/veteran players cut from other teams.

    Lots of movement between now and the first preseason game...



  • Cleveland Browns -- RB Isaiah Crowell, Alabama State

    While I also think fellow undrafted players WR Chandler Jones, WR Willie Snead and QB Connor Shaw have excellent shots to make the roster, Crowell is the most talented of the group and arguably the most gifted of all the running backs in the 2014 class. Strong off field red flags left him undrafted, but if he stays motivated and clean, look out for the Cleveland backfield.



  • Cleveland Browns -- RB Isaiah Crowell, Alabama State

    While I also think fellow undrafted players WR Chandler Jones, WR Willie Snead and QB Connor Shaw have excellent shots to make the roster, Crowell is the most talented of the group and arguably the most gifted of all the running backs in the 2014 class. Strong off field red flags left him undrafted, but if he stays motivated and clean, look out for the Cleveland backfield.

    @d-bone said:

    Cleveland Browns -- RB Isaiah Crowell, Alabama State
    While I also think fellow undrafted players WR Chandler Jones, WR Willie Snead and QB Connor Shaw have excellent shots to make the roster, Crowell is the most talented of the group and arguably the most gifted of all the running backs in the 2014 class. Strong off field red flags left him undrafted, but if he stays motivated and clean, look out for the Cleveland backfield.

    Crowell is a serious talent. I agree. There's some good film included in this report.

    Crowell scouting report

    And I think Chandler Jones will contribute as a rookie. We did a very good job with the UDFAs.

  • Crowell's video package is pretty impressive. Awesome burst and quickness and runs tough. Hopefully he stays away from Gordon's pot parties.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Except Shaw would be snatched up within hours of being cut, so that reasoning is flawed.

    Shaw is too valuable to cut, but too disposable to matter. He's a guy they'd try to sneak on the practice squad, but wouldn't clear waivers.

    Ideally, Shaw comes up with an "Injury" and we can shelve him for a season at the end of camp.

    I think we are going to get Thiggy with it for the 3rd QB spot for a year just because he has experience, and if Hoyer goes down again, we have none of that.

    Of course ... we are not talking about a ton of experience here ... Our four QBs have started a grand total of five games since 2009 (Hoyer 4, Thiggy 1).

    But the Thigster did have an 11 game run as the starter with KC in 2008 ... he went 1-10.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Ideally, Shaw comes up with an "Injury" and we can shelve him for a season at the end of camp.

    I think we are going to get Thiggy with it for the 3rd QB spot for a year just because he has experience, and if Hoyer goes down again, we have none of that.

    Of course ... we are not talking about a ton of experience here ... Our four QBs have started a grand total of five games since 2009 (Hoyer 4, Thiggy 1).

    But the Thigster did have an 11 game run as the starter with KC in 2008 ... he went 1-10.

    Zombo

    I watched every game of that season, two of them in person.

    The Thig has the talent to start in the NFL. He's never had an overly talented team to work with. He still threw Dwayne Bowe to a 1,000+ yard season, as well as Brandon Marshall.

    He's a mobile quarterback who excels outside of the pocket. That is Shanahan's system. If he had a fit, it would be Cleveland.

    We're not going into the season with a two rookies and another QB with only 4 starts to his career.

  • Crowell's video package is pretty impressive. Awesome burst and quickness and runs tough. Hopefully he stays away from Gordon's pot parties.

    @d-bone said:

    Crowell's video package is pretty impressive. Awesome burst and quickness and runs tough. Hopefully he stays away from Gordon's pot parties.

    Some guys with a past turn it around & some don't, but with this kid's talent & the fact he's a bargain as a UDFA, why not see what he can do? IMHO he's a fantastic pick up & the price is right.

    Mike

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    Unless he practices really bad I don't see that happening. Like I said, they keep shaw all offseason and preseason so he can learn the offense, cut him when they need to trim it to 53, and then if Hoyer or Manziel go down, they resign him. I don't think Shaw has any chance of seeing playing time this year, but at the same time I don't think they are going to risk putting him on the PS unless he doesn't do well during the preseason.

    Except Shaw would be snatched up within hours of being cut, so that reasoning is flawed.

    Shaw is too valuable to cut, but too disposable to matter. He's a guy they'd try to sneak on the practice squad, but wouldn't clear waivers.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Except Shaw would be snatched up within hours of being cut, so that reasoning is flawed.

    Shaw is too valuable to cut, but too disposable to matter. He's a guy they'd try to sneak on the practice squad, but wouldn't clear waivers.

    I ment to say Thig not Shaw in my previous comment.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Except Shaw would be snatched up within hours of being cut, so that reasoning is flawed.

    Shaw is too valuable to cut, but too disposable to matter. He's a guy they'd try to sneak on the practice squad, but wouldn't clear waivers.

    I ment to say Thig not Shaw in my previous comment.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    I ment to say Thig not Shaw in my previous comment.

    Oh. Well that makes sense, then.

    I agree.

    This is a good problem to have.

    A bunch of able bodied quarterbacks with winning experience that fit the offensive system? I don't know if I've ever seen this before.

  • Browns just signed UDFA Elhadji Ndiaye DE. Some super freak athletic dude playing Div II. 6'5 255 pounds and ran a 4.48 at his pro day. Only has two years of football experience but was apparently very productive.

  • Browns just signed UDFA Elhadji Ndiaye DE. Some super freak athletic dude playing Div II. 6'5 255 pounds and ran a 4.48 at his pro day. Only has two years of football experience but was apparently very productive.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    Browns just signed UDFA Elhadji Ndiaye DE. Some super freak athletic dude playing Div II. 6'5 255 pounds and ran a 4.48 at his pro day. Only has two years of football experience but was apparently very productive.

    Saw that today too. If there's a guy to to raw ability on D and make him a solid player, it's Pettine. He's in good hands, glad to have him.
  • Our Supposed Best Undrafted WR

    Here he is. I guess he broke all records at Ball State and "all he did was make plays."

    Willie Snead

    @soju said:

    Our Supposed Best Undrafted WR

    Here he is. I guess he broke all records at Ball State and "all he did was make plays."

    Willie Snead

    Saw this today (some spreadsheets too that I haven't gone through yet) - WR Metrics :

    http://www.allprofootballsource.com/2014-nfl-draft-prospects-watch-list/

    WR

    Jarvis Landry: 92.5

    Games watched in 2013: Texas A&M

    Brandon Coleman: 89.5

    Games watched in 2013: Fresno State, Louisville

    Marquise Lee: 89.25

    Games watched in 2013: Arizona State, UCLA

    Sammy Watkins: 89

    Games watched in 2013: Georgia, NC State

    Brandin Cooks: 89

    Games watched in 2013: Cal, Oregon State

    Willie Snead: 88.5

    Games watched in 2013: Central Michigan

    Justin Hardy: 88.5

    Games watched in 2013: Southern Mississippi

    Mike Evans: 88

    Games watched in 2013: Alabama, Arkansas