Skip to content

Actual vs. Prospect rank

The Browns Board
8 5 427
  • So? How did the Browns do in the draft. Obviously only time will tell for sure, but lets look at how they did vis a vis the pre-draft rankings of the players they actually have picked.

    For this first grouping I will compare the pre-draft rank of the players the Browns took in the CBS Draft prospect ranking. Later I may do it with other draft ranking services, but for now, this one:

    John Manziel chosen at #22 pre draft rank: #7

    Justin Gilbert chosen at #8 pre draft rank: #20

    Joel Bitonio chosen at #35 pre draft rank: #41

    Christian Kirksey chosen at #71 pre draft rank #141

    Terence West chosen at #94 pre draft rank #96

    Paul Desir chosen at #127 pre draft rank #85

    So, if you just switched the numbers on the first rounders Gilbert and Manziel it would even out on the slots where those two players were chosen. Bitonio and West were taken just about right on with their rankings. Kirksey looks to have been the one real reach, where Desir looks to be the one real bargain pickup.

    But, bottom line is this: generally a team should have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds of a draft, or 3.125% of the best 96 players on the board (3x32=96)

    The Browns got 5 of the top 96 players ranked...or 5.2% of the best 96 players available. (JFF, Gilbert, Bitonio, West, Desir). If they had not "reached" for Kirksey perhaps they could have double the number of top picks a team usually selects.

    Will these guys play like the top choices they were? God only knows. Maybe it will be Kirksey who turns out to be the best of the bunch.

  • There certainly isn't any Viekune, Miava, Hardesty, Little, or Weeden type reaches.

    I didn't care for the Kirksey pick, but I thought Kilo Alonso was a reach last season and Pettine made him defensive rookie of the year.

  • There certainly isn't any Viekune, Miava, Hardesty, Little, or Weeden type reaches.

    I didn't care for the Kirksey pick, but I thought Kilo Alonso was a reach last season and Pettine made him defensive rookie of the year.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    There certainly isn't any Viekune, Miava, Hardesty, Little, or Weeden type reaches.

    I didn't care for the Kirksey pick, but I thought Kilo Alonso was a reach last season and Pettine made him defensive rookie of the year.

    Very good point.

  • Let's look at where the BROWNS BOARD Mock draft had our guys:

    Justin Gilbert #10 to Lions. We took him #8

    Johnny Manziel #16 to Cowboys. We took him #22

    Joel Bitonio #48 to Baltimore. We took him #35

    We did not have Kirksey or West on our board.

    But 4th rounder Pierre Desir we had drafted in 2nd round, #50, by Carolina

    So we thought Manziel was a good value and Desir a great value. Gilbert a slight reach and Bitonio a bigger reach.

    As for the guys Jcam picked for the Browns:

    4. Cleveland Browns ... Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

    Off the board. #2 to Rams

    26. Cleveland (from Indianapolis) ... Blake Bortles, QB UCF

    Off the board. #3 to jags

    35. Cleveland (4-12) ... Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State

    Passed over. #61 to Jags

    71. Cleveland (4-12) Keith McGill, CB Utah

    Passed over. #116 to Raiders

    83. Cleveland (from Pittsburgh) (8-8) Marcus Martin C USC

    Off the board at #70 to 49ers

    I know all off our pick numbers changed except #35, just generalizing on whether we could have drafted the guy or if he was off the board at that spot.

  • There certainly isn't any Viekune, Miava, Hardesty, Little, or Weeden type reaches.

    I didn't care for the Kirksey pick, but I thought Kilo Alonso was a reach last season and Pettine made him defensive rookie of the year.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I thought Kilo Alonso was a reach last season and Pettine made him defensive rookie of the year.

    That's what I have been thinking also. I'm hoping that pick was a Pettine pick and he see's the same in Kirksey that he saw in Alonso

  • I still think the most important thing among all these numbers is that the Browns got 5 of the top 96 prospects.....about double their pro rata share. And that, hopefully can only bode well. Doing so well early in the draft apparently allowed them to literally ignore the entire second half.

  • What is most impressive to me is we drafted 5 guys who could start day 1...

  • What is most impressive to me is we drafted 5 guys who could start day 1...

    @cleinchi said:

    What is most impressive to me is we drafted 5 guys who could start day 1...

    Yes, and the one of those that is least likely to start day 1 is JFF.