Skip to content

NFL To Reduce Pot Discipline

The Browns Board
92 27 3.4k
  • Rules are rules. Dumb or not, they were broken. I agree they can and will be changed, but until then follow them. It's not that hard...make millions or smoke weed? Hmmmm.....

    @tml1138 said:

    Rules are rules. Dumb or not, they were broken. I agree they can and will be changed, but until then follow them. It's not that hard...make millions or smoke weed? Hmmmm.....

    I couldn't disagree more. Dumb rules, once they are discovered to be dumb are obsolete and there is no principled reason for following them. Enforcing dumb rules once they are known to be dumb is dumb.

    Even if I agree with you that dumb rules should be followed (obviously I don't), shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?

    How does suspending a player for the season (harming fans and the team) for non-football behavior occurring outside the regular season fit the crime? It's just nonsense.

    Also the NFL looks stupid if they cling to this and give a true criminal like Ray Rice a pass.

  • @tml1138 said:

    Rules are rules. Dumb or not, they were broken. I agree they can and will be changed, but until then follow them. It's not that hard...make millions or smoke weed? Hmmmm.....

    I couldn't disagree more. Dumb rules, once they are discovered to be dumb are obsolete and there is no principled reason for following them. Enforcing dumb rules once they are known to be dumb is dumb.

    Even if I agree with you that dumb rules should be followed (obviously I don't), shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?

    How does suspending a player for the season (harming fans and the team) for non-football behavior occurring outside the regular season fit the crime? It's just nonsense.

    Also the NFL looks stupid if they cling to this and give a true criminal like Ray Rice a pass.

    @hish747 said:

    I couldn't disagree more. Dumb rules, once they are discovered to be dumb are obsolete and there is no principled reason for following them. Enforcing dumb rules once they are known to be dumb is dumb.

    For a second there I thought you were saying you wanted to smoke week over being a millionaire.

    And I agree you can fight to get rules removed/changed, but breaking them (or as you put it, not following them) and then whining because you are being punished is not the way to go about it.

  • @hish747 said:

    I couldn't disagree more. Dumb rules, once they are discovered to be dumb are obsolete and there is no principled reason for following them. Enforcing dumb rules once they are known to be dumb is dumb.

    For a second there I thought you were saying you wanted to smoke week over being a millionaire.

    And I agree you can fight to get rules removed/changed, but breaking them (or as you put it, not following them) and then whining because you are being punished is not the way to go about it.

    @tml1138 said:

    For a second there I thought you were saying you wanted to smoke week over being a millionaire.

    And I agree you can fight to get rules removed/changed, but breaking them (or as you put it, not following them) and then whining because you are being punished is not the way to go about it.

    It's so much easier that way though.

  • It's bullshit if they do lax their standards. If I have weed in my system and I fail a test I get fired. These assholes GET PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and still don't stop smoking it. Fuck anyone who wants this change. These assholes deserve to get suspended and lose money. Where does this fucking sense of entitlement come from? These guys play football. They do nothing important and don't change the world one but. Why should they get off easy? Fuck em. News flash: ITS FUCKING ILLEGAL. Stop bitching.

    There. Rant over.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    It's bullshit if they do lax their standards. If I have weed in my system and I fail a test I get fired. These assholes GET PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and still don't stop smoking it. Fuck anyone who wants this change. These assholes deserve to get suspended and lose money. Where does this fucking sense of entitlement come from? These guys play football. They do nothing important and don't change the world one but. Why should they get off easy? Fuck em. News flash: ITS FUCKING ILLEGAL. Stop bitching.

    There. Rant over.

    I definitely agree. Your paid millions, if u HAVE to inebriate yourself, do it legally.

  • The fact of the matter is we are all looking at this with rose tinted glasses. We want this to happen so Gordon can maybe get a lighter sentence for his fuck up. Fact of the matter is nothing is going to change before Gordon is punished and it isn't likely to change for another year, if not longer. This whole reduction of penalties for using pot hinges on the NFL and NFLPA agreeing on the HGH testing peramiters. Right now it is in hold up because Goodell wasnts to have fule control over punishment. The NFLPA won't agree to that, they want to have an independent panel go through the appeals and punishment. So just like we have been since the new CPA was signed, the deal is in dead lock. One of the sides leaked the info about disapline for pot related issues in order to try and get this moving along. Maybe the NFL leaked it to try and get players to preasure the NFLPA to except the current deal. Maybe the NFLPA leaked it to turn public perseption against Goodell even more because of the harsh punishments he has been giving out based on a rule that is likely to change at the signing of a pen. Who knows. All I know is that this isn't likely to happen anytime soon and to think that it will in anyway help Gordon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

  • The fact of the matter is we are all looking at this with rose tinted glasses. We want this to happen so Gordon can maybe get a lighter sentence for his fuck up. Fact of the matter is nothing is going to change before Gordon is punished and it isn't likely to change for another year, if not longer. This whole reduction of penalties for using pot hinges on the NFL and NFLPA agreeing on the HGH testing peramiters. Right now it is in hold up because Goodell wasnts to have fule control over punishment. The NFLPA won't agree to that, they want to have an independent panel go through the appeals and punishment. So just like we have been since the new CPA was signed, the deal is in dead lock. One of the sides leaked the info about disapline for pot related issues in order to try and get this moving along. Maybe the NFL leaked it to try and get players to preasure the NFLPA to except the current deal. Maybe the NFLPA leaked it to turn public perseption against Goodell even more because of the harsh punishments he has been giving out based on a rule that is likely to change at the signing of a pen. Who knows. All I know is that this isn't likely to happen anytime soon and to think that it will in anyway help Gordon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    The fact of the matter is we are all looking at this with rose tinted glasses. We want this to happen so Gordon can maybe get a lighter sentence for his fuck up. Fact of the matter is nothing is going to change before Gordon is punished and it isn't likely to change for another year, if not longer. This whole reduction of penalties for using pot hinges on the NFL and NFLPA agreeing on the HGH testing peramiters. Right now it is in hold up because Goodell wasnts to have fule control over punishment. The NFLPA won't agree to that, they want to have an independent panel go through the appeals and punishment. So just like we have been since the new CPA was signed, the deal is in dead lock. One of the sides leaked the info about disapline for pot related issues in order to try and get this moving along. Maybe the NFL leaked it to try and get players to preasure the NFLPA to except the current deal. Maybe the NFLPA leaked it to turn public perseption against Goodell even more because of the harsh punishments he has been giving out based on a rule that is likely to change at the signing of a pen. Who knows. All I know is that this isn't likely to happen anytime soon and to think that it will in anyway help Gordon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

    Thanks Buzz Killington.

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    The fact of the matter is we are all looking at this with rose tinted glasses. We want this to happen so Gordon can maybe get a lighter sentence for his fuck up. Fact of the matter is nothing is going to change before Gordon is punished and it isn't likely to change for another year, if not longer. This whole reduction of penalties for using pot hinges on the NFL and NFLPA agreeing on the HGH testing peramiters. Right now it is in hold up because Goodell wasnts to have fule control over punishment. The NFLPA won't agree to that, they want to have an independent panel go through the appeals and punishment. So just like we have been since the new CPA was signed, the deal is in dead lock. One of the sides leaked the info about disapline for pot related issues in order to try and get this moving along. Maybe the NFL leaked it to try and get players to preasure the NFLPA to except the current deal. Maybe the NFLPA leaked it to turn public perseption against Goodell even more because of the harsh punishments he has been giving out based on a rule that is likely to change at the signing of a pen. Who knows. All I know is that this isn't likely to happen anytime soon and to think that it will in anyway help Gordon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

    Thanks Buzz Killington.

    @taco918 said:

    Thanks Buzz Killington.

    Whats the point of sitting here pretending Satna Clause is real?

  • @taco918 said:

    Thanks Buzz Killington.

    Whats the point of sitting here pretending Satna Clause is real?

    @harry-buffalo said:

    Whats the point of sitting here pretending Satna Clause is real?

    Santa isn't real?

  • The fact of the matter is we are all looking at this with rose tinted glasses. We want this to happen so Gordon can maybe get a lighter sentence for his fuck up. Fact of the matter is nothing is going to change before Gordon is punished and it isn't likely to change for another year, if not longer. This whole reduction of penalties for using pot hinges on the NFL and NFLPA agreeing on the HGH testing peramiters. Right now it is in hold up because Goodell wasnts to have fule control over punishment. The NFLPA won't agree to that, they want to have an independent panel go through the appeals and punishment. So just like we have been since the new CPA was signed, the deal is in dead lock. One of the sides leaked the info about disapline for pot related issues in order to try and get this moving along. Maybe the NFL leaked it to try and get players to preasure the NFLPA to except the current deal. Maybe the NFLPA leaked it to turn public perseption against Goodell even more because of the harsh punishments he has been giving out based on a rule that is likely to change at the signing of a pen. Who knows. All I know is that this isn't likely to happen anytime soon and to think that it will in anyway help Gordon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    The fact of the matter is we are all looking at this with rose tinted glasses. We want this to happen so Gordon can maybe get a lighter sentence for his fuck up. Fact of the matter is nothing is going to change before Gordon is punished and it isn't likely to change for another year, if not longer. This whole reduction of penalties for using pot hinges on the NFL and NFLPA agreeing on the HGH testing peramiters. Right now it is in hold up because Goodell wasnts to have fule control over punishment. The NFLPA won't agree to that, they want to have an independent panel go through the appeals and punishment. So just like we have been since the new CPA was signed, the deal is in dead lock. One of the sides leaked the info about disapline for pot related issues in order to try and get this moving along. Maybe the NFL leaked it to try and get players to preasure the NFLPA to except the current deal. Maybe the NFLPA leaked it to turn public perseption against Goodell even more because of the harsh punishments he has been giving out based on a rule that is likely to change at the signing of a pen. Who knows. All I know is that this isn't likely to happen anytime soon and to think that it will in anyway help Gordon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

    My comments about this potentially helping Josh were predicated on the idea that the rules were to change before Josh's penalty went into effect. I wasn't clear about that. Good points on the back and forth between NFLPA and the NFL.

  • when it all comes down to it you'd have to have some hitler police to even give you a ticket for smoking a joint nowadays. maybe a ticket. but usually cops don't even care unless you are acting a fool or have large quantities for distribution. some dopey kids smoking a joint at the skate park is usually followed up by 'get on home or i'll have to write you up' scolding. hell 30 years ago in ohio they didn't give a shit if you just had a joint on you.

    but yes to the point that doesn't forgive gordon one bit. when you know you got the man on your back and all you might have to do is step in a room full of your homies puffing away to test positive, YOU STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM YOUR HOMIES. i mean if they don't give a fuck about you enough not to smoke around you then it's time to find new friends. btw ask them for their cars back, see what that gets ya.

    only thing i'm seeing as a positive in his case is that i'm seeing or hearing nothing. i mean mathis tested positive for PEDs (which it wasn't) and the story broke yesterday. gordon's fuckup has been plastered all over espn since the second day of the draft and nothing?

    must be some serious negotiating or some scrutinizing of evidence going on.

  • Hey! Just don't do anything illegal! Problem solved.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    If I have weed in my system and I fail a test I get fired.

    @mld-woody said:

    The rule that smoking weed could get you fired from ANY job is stupid

    Not all jobs are created equal...

    Surgeon vs. burger flipper

    Chemical Plant Operator vs. Administrative Assistant

    Commercial Airline Pilot vs. Pro Football WR

    @tour2ma said:

    Not all jobs are created equal...

    Surgeon vs. burger flipper

    Chemical Plant Operator vs. Administrative Assistant

    Commercial Airline Pilot vs. Pro Football WR

    And smoking weed in your free time while off the job would not affect your ability to do any of those.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Not all jobs are created equal...

    Surgeon vs. burger flipper

    Chemical Plant Operator vs. Administrative Assistant

    Commercial Airline Pilot vs. Pro Football WR

    And smoking weed in your free time while off the job would not affect your ability to do any of those.

    @mld-woody said:

    And smoking weed in your free time while off the job would not affect your ability to do any of those.

    By "free time" I assume you are implying several hours, if not a day or more, before reporting to work. If that's the case, then I agree 100%. I certainly hurt a workday performance, or two, in my career far more by partying hard the nite before with alcohol than I ever did getting high.

    My point was that all jobs are not created equal when it comes to the potential for impacting public safety. And in light of that fact, legal sobriety criteria are going to vary.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Not all jobs are created equal...

    Surgeon vs. burger flipper

    Chemical Plant Operator vs. Administrative Assistant

    Commercial Airline Pilot vs. Pro Football WR

    And smoking weed in your free time while off the job would not affect your ability to do any of those.

    @mld-woody said:

    And smoking weed in your free time while off the job would not affect your ability to do any of those.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/marijuana-motivation-longtime-use-pot_n_3534031.html

    Eh, I don't know. I'd rather by pilot or surgeon not be a stoner. There is some evidence that it affects motivation. I don't smoke it so I don't know but I've no idea how someone when faced with losing millions doesn't decide to stop.

  • How does their pay work if they are suspended for a year?

  • How does their pay work if they are suspended for a year?

    @scdawg82 said:

    How does their pay work if they are suspended for a year

    No Play No Pay

  • How does their pay work if they are suspended for a year?

    @scdawg82 said:

    How does their pay work if they are suspended for a year?

    I think it's without pay.

    I wonder if it affects his contract with the Browns if in fact he comes back.

    WSS

  • Tell that to your present employer who gives drug tests. Alcohol is legal, but if you come in buzzed still from the night before you could be fired.

  • I don't believe the nfl considering changing it's rules as soon as Gordon tests positive to be a coincidence. The nfl wants to see this guy play. I don't think he's going to get the full year ban.

  • So are the weed advocates cool with breaking other laws as long as he's not doing it on the football field? I mean if they don't affect the game?

    WSS