Skip Bayless piece
-
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10938955&src=desktop
Go ahead and delete this if it's already been posted.
WSS
-
Good read.
-
-
Imagine the amount of pressure this kid will be under? More then any quarterback in recent history I'd say.
-
Imagine the amount of pressure this kid will be under? More then any quarterback in recent history I'd say.
Imagine the amount of pressure this kid will be under? More then any quarterback in recent history I'd say.
The good news is that it isn't new to him. He was already "Johnny Football" (or JFF) back in high school when he was something of a local/state legend.
He has been on Sportscenter seemingly every night since he took his first snap at A&M, both during the season and the off season... you could make an argument that he has drawn more media scrutiny than any college player in recent years, perhaps ever. He hasn't always handled it well, but the spotlight is more than a little familiar to him.
-
Anyone who knows me knows that the media has ZERO credibility with me. Even with all the garbage they have written/stated before that has proven to be wrong, folks continue to post as fact what they speculate & exaggerate.
I'm a huge Johnny Fan & a huge Farmer/Pettine Fan, so I'm waiting to see what actually happens & I will continue to support the Browns & the Browns Players.
Mike
-
No, Manziel is a backup until he learns the offense, NFL defenses, protections,
reads, etc etc
And he's actually a starter-in-waiting. But there isn't any reason to force him
in there, unless you lose Hoyer again to injury. If it weren't for how well Hoyer can play,
Manziel starting would be a given, but a pretty tall order.
I'm a big fan of all three qbs. Give Manziel some time already. But I've come around to
figuring that he'll excel when he gets his chance.
-
If the Browns wanted a backup they shouldn't have drafted Manziel. He may not start from day one, but he is either going to be a huge star or a complete bust... nothing in between.
Actually risked the super cookie to have a look at this...
It was a good read and, at the risk of being punny, sobering.
If the Browns wanted a backup they shouldn't have drafted Manziel. He may not start from day one, but he is either going to be a huge star or a complete bust... nothing in between.
No one drafts a player in the first round with the idea that they will never be more than a back up.
While I hope there is nothing between "star or bust", my greatest JM fear is that there is a sizeable "almost" middle, and that is where he will land.
Imagine the amount of pressure this kid will be under? More then any quarterback in recent history I'd say.
Wanted to say RG3 or Luck, but no... upon reflection, I agree, JM could be under more. Recognition of this by our FO would then be the reason for their National media ban and talk of being (and acting like) the back-up QB.
-
Imagine the amount of pressure this kid will be under? More then any quarterback in recent history I'd say.
The good news is that it isn't new to him. He was already "Johnny Football" (or JFF) back in high school when he was something of a local/state legend.
He has been on Sportscenter seemingly every night since he took his first snap at A&M, both during the season and the off season... you could make an argument that he has drawn more media scrutiny than any college player in recent years, perhaps ever. He hasn't always handled it well, but the spotlight is more than a little familiar to him.
The good news is that it isn't new to him. He was already "Johnny Football" (or JFF) back in high school when he was something of a local/state legend.
He hasn't always handled it well, but the spotlight is more than a little familiar to him.
All true, but what is also true is that the stage is now bigger than any he's been on before...
-
my friend emailed me this last night and i'll say here what i said to him then...
skip bayless is the biggest poser on national tv. if you want a shot at sucking JF's cock you better get in line before him (hear me walter).
what an unabated faggot this dude is at every level. makes a 12 yr. old queef look like colossus. first it's tom brady, then it's tim tebow now it's johnny football.
if 'he' (bayless) feels one of his 'boys' isn't getting treated correctly he uses his position on espn's roto repeat show first take where he takes the stand for 10 mins per topic and gloms out this god-awful lathering of this guy or that guy and now it's aimed at the browns because we didn't anoint JF as KING ALMIGHTY when he blessed with his presence.
hmmmmmm. wasn't the kid falling into the 2nd round?
-
miktoxic-"hmmmmmm. wasn't the kid falling into the 2nd round?"
Not really. The Browns realized several teams were trying to maneuver into that #22 spot to take him. They just made a better offer. They didn't go up there just because Johnny asked them to. It makes for a good story, but no one makes that choice because a player asks. They make it to help their team win and to not let him slip away to someone else. Minn. made the same decision to beat Houston to Bridgewater before he went to them at the top of the second round.
-
Does anyone remember Shurmur declaring Weeden the starter the day he was drafted? It's bullshit to anoint JF the starter until he earns it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making it very clear he is the BACKUP until proven otherwise.
-
If the Browns wanted a backup they shouldn't have drafted Manziel. He may not start from day one, but he is either going to be a huge star or a complete bust... nothing in between.
If the Browns wanted a backup they shouldn't have drafted Manziel. He may not start from day one, but he is either going to be a huge star or a complete bust... nothing in between.
Their is a difference between wanting a backup and telling someone with a chip on their shoulder to act like one. How does a backup with a chip on their soldier act? Like someone who wants to earn the starting job. C'mon people, read between the lines.
-
too many drama queens can't take the backup statement for it's true meaning.
-
I don't have a problem with telling the kids to get ready to be a backup. I don't think the front office thinks he is a career backup and sending any other message would be a slap in the face to Brian Hoyer.
Until he sets the world on fire in training camp or wins a game or even take a snap in the NFL I think he should be a backup. The starting job is his to take, not a present.
WSS
-
I don't have a problem with telling the kids to get ready to be a backup. I don't think the front office thinks he is a career backup and sending any other message would be a slap in the face to Brian Hoyer.
Until he sets the world on fire in training camp or wins a game or even take a snap in the NFL I think he should be a backup. The starting job is his to take, not a present.
WSS
I don't have a problem with telling the kids to get ready to be a backup. I don't think the front office thinks he is a career backup and sending any other message would be a slap in the face to Brian Hoyer.
Until he sets the world on fire in training camp or wins a game or even take a snap in the NFL I think he should be a backup. The starting job is his to take, not a present.
WSS
Which is exactly as it should be & why I despise the media. They take everything & distort the hell out of it.
Mike
-
Does anyone remember Shurmur declaring Weeden the starter the day he was drafted? It's bullshit to anoint JF the starter until he earns it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making it very clear he is the BACKUP until proven otherwise.
Does anyone remember Shurmur declaring Weeden the starter the day he was drafted? It's bullshit to anoint JF the starter until he earns it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making it very clear he is the BACKUP until proven otherwise.
I didn't even remember Shurmur until I read your post
-
I don't have a problem with telling the kids to get ready to be a backup. I don't think the front office thinks he is a career backup and sending any other message would be a slap in the face to Brian Hoyer.
Until he sets the world on fire in training camp or wins a game or even take a snap in the NFL I think he should be a backup. The starting job is his to take, not a present.
WSS
Which is exactly as it should be & why I despise the media. They take everything & distort the hell out of it.
Mike
Which is exactly as it should be & why I despise the media. They take everything & distort the hell out of it.
Mike
Well I guess they have to make a big commotion about something. To be honest I'm glad it's the Browns finally. I'm about sick of the Andrew Luck and rg3 hype. Time for some Cleveland Browns hype.
WSS
-
Which is exactly as it should be & why I despise the media. They take everything & distort the hell out of it.
Mike
Well I guess they have to make a big commotion about something. To be honest I'm glad it's the Browns finally. I'm about sick of the Andrew Luck and rg3 hype. Time for some Cleveland Browns hype.
WSS
Well I guess they have to make a big commotion about something. To be honest I'm glad it's the Browns finally. I'm about sick of the Andrew Luck and rg3 hype. Time for some Cleveland Browns hype.
WSS
That's a good point Steve.
Mike
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login