Our new FB
-
So we drop Pressley and pick up a back up FB from the bengels? I thought the Pressley kid was suppose to be solid. What do you guys think of our FB corps going into the offseason with this Brooks pick-up and Agnew.
Where is Vickers!!? -
"Brooks is 6-0, 237 pounds and officially in his first NFL season out of Morgan State. Originally signed by Cincinnati as an undrafted free agent, Brooks spent 10 weeks on the Bengals practice squad in 2012. He spent two years at Rutgers and transferred to Morgan State, where his father was an all-conference linebacker for MSU's 1979 MEAC championship team. A native of Germantown, Md., Brooks graduated from Seneca Valley High School."
I like the Agnew kid better, he could be a keeper at the position.
Zombo
-
Related question. If this is going to be a run till you stop us type offense, who will be the road graders up front of all the backs to open up those lanes? And have they all shown they can do that kind of blocking as well as needed? (For the record I think the rookie Bitonio can).
-
Related question. If this is going to be a run till you stop us type offense, who will be the road graders up front of all the backs to open up those lanes? And have they all shown they can do that kind of blocking as well as needed? (For the record I think the rookie Bitonio can).
Related question. If this is going to be a run till you stop us type offense, who will be the road graders up front of all the backs to open up those lanes? And have they all shown they can do that kind of blocking as well as needed? (For the record I think the rookie Bitonio can).
They put payton hillis on the cover of madden. Add theyve gotten better
-
Related question. If this is going to be a run till you stop us type offense, who will be the road graders up front of all the backs to open up those lanes? And have they all shown they can do that kind of blocking as well as needed? (For the record I think the rookie Bitonio can).
Related question. If this is going to be a run till you stop us type offense, who will be the road graders up front of all the backs to open up those lanes? And have they all shown they can do that kind of blocking as well as needed? (For the record I think the rookie Bitonio can).
if you look at the shanahan legacy as HC (mike) in 17 years between denver and washington 12 out of the 17 seasons he had a feature back rush for over a thousand yards. the last 2 years in washington with kyle as OC it was morris. i don't know how he utilizes the FB (not watching any of washington's games and no need to ask about denver) but in this off season he talks about how he needs his offensive line to be able to move so i think the running game will definitely be reignited in cleveland.
it's been a long long time. only 4 out of the 14 seasons since being back in the league has that been accomplished here.
-
Related question. If this is going to be a run till you stop us type offense, who will be the road graders up front of all the backs to open up those lanes? And have they all shown they can do that kind of blocking as well as needed? (For the record I think the rookie Bitonio can).
Related question. If this is going to be a run till you stop us type offense, who will be the road graders up front of all the backs to open up those lanes? And have they all shown they can do that kind of blocking as well as needed? (For the record I think the rookie Bitonio can).
While strength is not a complete non-factor, you don't need traditional road graders for a zone blocking run game, which is what we presume lil' Shanney brought to CLE. An OL that can move and think on the fly combined with a decisive RB that can seize upon any crease that develops are the ticket.
I think Thomas and Mack are made to Zone block. I think Greco will do well in the scheme as well. Bitonio shows promise. Of the other OLs currently on roster, I would not be surprised to see Wallace emerge. Wallace showed good feet and pass-blocking technique in the 2013 pre-season.
Tate showed he is the kind of RB you want behind a zone scheme under Kubiak in Houston. Based upon very limited tape, West has that look as well. And while undersized, Baker flashed one-cut decisiveness late last year... and it was a breath of fresh air.
In 2013 short yardage packages, where strength is at a premium, we batted .658 converting 3rd and shorts... 2nd in the league. However, when inside the 3 we were only able to score via the run 27.3% of the time... 31st in the league. So our power blocking was a mixed bag at best.
-
Coupling the overall talent increase in our offensive line and runningback with the philosophy change, it seems we're bound to be a solid team on the ground.
The use of play action in the Shanahan offense is key. If we're able to successfully cause safeties and LB's to bite on a few deep play action passes early, it will cause them to hesitate later in the game, allowing for linemen to get to the second level with relative ease.
We shouldn't, and I say shouldn't very carefully, see the fourth quarter stagnation in our offense that we've been seeing as of late.
However, this is all for naught if we don't have a QB that can capitalize.
-
Tour2ma-I think it is those short yardage goal line situations that the rookie will excel. Everything I see about him says tough guy inside who can get under and leverage people backwards. Yeah they might trick him a bit at first as a rook, but over time I think he appears to be just what the doctor ordered for those crucial last few yards. Same apples to 3rd and short situations. I love the strong running threat to open up things for the mobile passing game. All the best in the NFL operate that way right now except maybe Denver. But we all saw what happened when they ran into that kind of game in the SB. Lines win football may be a trite saying, but it is still nevertheless true.
-
Tour2ma-I think it is those short yardage goal line situations that the rookie will excel. Everything I see about him says tough guy inside who can get under and leverage people backwards. Yeah they might trick him a bit at first as a rook, but over time I think he appears to be just what the doctor ordered for those crucial last few yards. Same apples to 3rd and short situations. I love the strong running threat to open up things for the mobile passing game. All the best in the NFL operate that way right now except maybe Denver. But we all saw what happened when they ran into that kind of game in the SB. Lines win football may be a trite saying, but it is still nevertheless true.
Lines win football may be a trite saying, but it is still nevertheless true.
your lips to god's ears.
and let's not forget.......
defense wins championships.
-
You bet my friend!
-
Coupling the overall talent increase in our offensive line and runningback with the philosophy change, it seems we're bound to be a solid team on the ground.
The use of play action in the Shanahan offense is key. If we're able to successfully cause safeties and LB's to bite on a few deep play action passes early, it will cause them to hesitate later in the game, allowing for linemen to get to the second level with relative ease.
We shouldn't, and I say shouldn't very carefully, see the fourth quarter stagnation in our offense that we've been seeing as of late.
However, this is all for naught if we don't have a QB that can capitalize.
The use of play action in the Shanahan offense is key. If we're able to successfully cause safeties and LB's to bite on a few deep play action passes early, it will cause them to hesitate later in the game, allowing for linemen to get to the second level with relative ease.
We shouldn't, and I say shouldn't very carefully, see the fourth quarter stagnation in our offense that we've been seeing as of late.
Love me some play-action... and both Hoyer and JM have the ball skills to make it work.
Could you expand on your 4Q "stagnation" comment? Game circumstance dictates so much play selection late in games, i.e., pass if behind, run if ahead, that I am not sure what you are saying will change the dynamic? Especially considering our defensive minded HC...
Tour2ma-I think it is those short yardage goal line situations that the rookie will excel. Everything I see about him says tough guy inside who can get under and leverage people backwards... Lines win football may be a trite saying, but it is still nevertheless true.
With you on the line (and mik and you on the D)... all of which just adds up to balance.
For obvious reasons I initially thought "the rookie" you were referring to "leverage(ing) people" was JM... then realized it was Bitonio (or at least West)...
-
The use of play action in the Shanahan offense is key. If we're able to successfully cause safeties and LB's to bite on a few deep play action passes early, it will cause them to hesitate later in the game, allowing for linemen to get to the second level with relative ease.
We shouldn't, and I say shouldn't very carefully, see the fourth quarter stagnation in our offense that we've been seeing as of late.
Love me some play-action... and both Hoyer and JM have the ball skills to make it work.
Could you expand on your 4Q "stagnation" comment? Game circumstance dictates so much play selection late in games, i.e., pass if behind, run if ahead, that I am not sure what you are saying will change the dynamic? Especially considering our defensive minded HC...
Tour2ma-I think it is those short yardage goal line situations that the rookie will excel. Everything I see about him says tough guy inside who can get under and leverage people backwards... Lines win football may be a trite saying, but it is still nevertheless true.
With you on the line (and mik and you on the D)... all of which just adds up to balance.
For obvious reasons I initially thought "the rookie" you were referring to "leverage(ing) people" was JM... then realized it was Bitonio (or at least West)...
Love me some play-action... and both Hoyer and JM have the ball skills to make it work.
Could you expand on your 4Q "stagnation" comment? Game circumstance dictates so much play selection late in games, i.e., pass if behind, run if ahead, that I am not sure what you are saying will change the dynamic? Especially considering our defensive minded HC...
With you on the line (and mik and you on the D)... all of which just adds up to balance.
For obvious reasons I initially thought "the rookie" you were referring to "leverage(ing) people" was JM... then realized it was Bitonio (or at least West)...
That's what I'm referring to.
Hopefully, by balancing out the playbook, keeping the defense honest and keeping an even keel, we won't fall into situations where we'll have to make up points and quick.
The fourth quarter Browns were one-dimensional...and bad at it. We'd fall into holes and have to dig our way out.
We would come into the fourth quarter and everyone and their mothers knew we were passing. Teams would anticipate the pass, knowing we couldn't do anything on the ground, and our numbers suffered. Fourth quarter completion percentage was significantly lower than the other 3 quarters.
Unfortunately, because of our one-dimensional running attack, we also couldn't capitalize on running against teams that were often in the nickel, expecting pass.
The fourth quarter saw the lowest YPC of any of the quarters, the lowest yardage of any of the quarters and, of course, the least amount of carries. The Browns scores exactly zero fourth quarter rushing touchdowns last season.
Playaction doesn't just achieve results on one play. A successful playaction sets up plays in the future. If we hit defenses with a few successful runs early in the game, linebackers and safeties will be playing on their heels and we can set ourselves up for a late first quarter play action bomb. With those plays under our belt and in the backs of their minds, it will open up the playbook for later in the game and, hopefully, we won't have to be digging ourselves out of a jamb by passing.
-
wow. didn't know the 4th qtr rush td stat.
sad.
-
The use of play action in the Shanahan offense is key. If we're able to successfully cause safeties and LB's to bite on a few deep play action passes early, it will cause them to hesitate later in the game, allowing for linemen to get to the second level with relative ease.
We shouldn't, and I say shouldn't very carefully, see the fourth quarter stagnation in our offense that we've been seeing as of late.
Love me some play-action... and both Hoyer and JM have the ball skills to make it work.
Could you expand on your 4Q "stagnation" comment? Game circumstance dictates so much play selection late in games, i.e., pass if behind, run if ahead, that I am not sure what you are saying will change the dynamic? Especially considering our defensive minded HC...
Tour2ma-I think it is those short yardage goal line situations that the rookie will excel. Everything I see about him says tough guy inside who can get under and leverage people backwards... Lines win football may be a trite saying, but it is still nevertheless true.
With you on the line (and mik and you on the D)... all of which just adds up to balance.
For obvious reasons I initially thought "the rookie" you were referring to "leverage(ing) people" was JM... then realized it was Bitonio (or at least West)...
For obvious reasons I initially thought "the rookie" you were referring to "leverage(ing) people" was JM... then realized it was Bitonio (or at least West)...
LOL-JM doesn't leverage people. Like Barry Sanders he makes them "leverage" and"levitate" themselves.
I was referring to the rookie Bitonio in a guard spot in the LOS. Kid is tough as nails and knows how to make a seam for those power backs to push through. I think as the season goes on he will get better and better at doing that in the crunch. Dogpound will love him. He's a fighter.
-
For obvious reasons I initially thought "the rookie" you were referring to "leverage(ing) people" was JM... then realized it was Bitonio (or at least West)...
LOL-JM doesn't leverage people. Like Barry Sanders he makes them "leverage" and"levitate" themselves.
I was referring to the rookie Bitonio in a guard spot in the LOS. Kid is tough as nails and knows how to make a seam for those power backs to push through. I think as the season goes on he will get better and better at doing that in the crunch. Dogpound will love him. He's a fighter.
LOL-JM doesn't leverage people.
lol... I know... it's enough that JM walks on water, but let's keep it real...

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login