Skip to content

Meet Our WR Corp

The Browns Board
31 17 1.8k
  • Looks like the most promising WR gathering we've had since Week 1 2013.

  • Jeez... everybody forgot about Conner Vernon - graduated Duke in 2013 as the ACC's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards...

  • I'm excited about Hawkins as the slot. That's going to be an upgrade because Bess was hideous.

    I also love either Austin of Burleson over Little at #2 because he was hideous.

    Healthy Benjamin will provide a home run hitter off the bench.

    Good prospects among the UDFAs and returning guys.

    Now ... any ideas on how to replace the best WR in the league last year in the #1 role?

    Maybe he doesn't get suspended and we all live happily ever after.

    Zombo

  • I think we'll see a trade as we get into late-August - it might cost us a DL or RB but I believe that Farmer will not field a team without talent at each position.

  • Looks like the most promising WR gathering we've had since Week 1 2013.

    @tour2ma said:

    Looks like the most promising WR gathering we've had since Week 1 2013.

    Lol. I sure would think this new group (or hope anyways) will do better than Bess or Little did.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Looks like the most promising WR gathering we've had since Week 1 2013.

    Lol. I sure would think this new group (or hope anyways) will do better than Bess or Little did.

    @tml1138 said:

    Lol. I sure would think this new group (or hope anyways) will do better than Bess or Little did.

    It'd be hard to do worse.

  • Gordon / Austin / Hawkins / Burleson / Bennett / Benjamin

    Sounds pretty damn good. Age being a concern regarding Austin and especially Burleson, but hopefully a few younger guys make the PS and we can keep them around for the future. Take out Gordon and...

    Austin / Burleson / Hawkins / Bennett / Benjamin / ???

    Doesn't sound so good, but you don't know until they get their shot on the field

  • Travis Benjamin (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    May 28 2014, 9:14 PMRotowire

    Benjamin (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    Analysis:

    Benjamin is recovering from a torn ACL suffered in 2013, and it sounds like his rehab has a chance to trickle in to the early parts of 2014. The injury has limited him to individual work and conditioning so far in Browns' OTAs. Benjamin has a chance to earn a role due to the uncertain Josh Gordon situation, but he'll have to get on the field first. Once this happens, he'll still see plenty of competition for playing time.

    Charles Johnson (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    May 28 2014, 9:09 PMRotowire

    Johnson (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    Analysis:

    Johnson is coming off a torn ACL in 2013, which has limited him to individual work and conditioning so far in Browns' OTAs. Once healthy, he has a chance to earn a role due to the uncertain Josh Gordon situation, but even if Gordon does get suspended, Johnson will still have plenty of competition for playing time.

  • Travis Benjamin (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    May 28 2014, 9:14 PMRotowire

    Benjamin (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    Analysis:

    Benjamin is recovering from a torn ACL suffered in 2013, and it sounds like his rehab has a chance to trickle in to the early parts of 2014. The injury has limited him to individual work and conditioning so far in Browns' OTAs. Benjamin has a chance to earn a role due to the uncertain Josh Gordon situation, but he'll have to get on the field first. Once this happens, he'll still see plenty of competition for playing time.

    Charles Johnson (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    May 28 2014, 9:09 PMRotowire

    Johnson (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    Analysis:

    Johnson is coming off a torn ACL in 2013, which has limited him to individual work and conditioning so far in Browns' OTAs. Once healthy, he has a chance to earn a role due to the uncertain Josh Gordon situation, but even if Gordon does get suspended, Johnson will still have plenty of competition for playing time.

    @kvoethe said:

    Travis Benjamin (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    May 28 2014, 9:14 PMRotowire

    Benjamin (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    Analysis:

    Benjamin is recovering from a torn ACL suffered in 2013, and it sounds like his rehab has a chance to trickle in to the early parts of 2014. The injury has limited him to individual work and conditioning so far in Browns' OTAs. Benjamin has a chance to earn a role due to the uncertain Josh Gordon situation, but he'll have to get on the field first. Once this happens, he'll still see plenty of competition for playing time.

    Charles Johnson (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    May 28 2014, 9:09 PMRotowire

    Johnson (knee) is a candidate to start the season on the physically unable to perform list, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports.

    Analysis:

    Johnson is coming off a torn ACL in 2013, which has limited him to individual work and conditioning so far in Browns' OTAs. Once healthy, he has a chance to earn a role due to the uncertain Josh Gordon situation, but even if Gordon does get suspended, Johnson will still have plenty of competition for playing time.

    We should look into WR's without ACLs.

  • I'm guessing they just keep a close eye on the waiver wire as teams close out their rosters the last week. They show every indication of hanging on to those 1st rounders for their own use, not up for trade without even more good picks as compensation for moving. WR draft does not look as good yet for 2015 as it was in 2014. My bet is they use their highest #1 on that barring unforeseen circumstances.

  • I'm guessing they just keep a close eye on the waiver wire as teams close out their rosters the last week. They show every indication of hanging on to those 1st rounders for their own use, not up for trade without even more good picks as compensation for moving. WR draft does not look as good yet for 2015 as it was in 2014. My bet is they use their highest #1 on that barring unforeseen circumstances.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm guessing they just keep a close eye on the waiver wire as teams close out their rosters the last week. They show every indication of hanging on to those 1st rounders for their own use, not up for trade without even more good picks as compensation for moving. WR draft does not look as good yet for 2015 as it was in 2014. My bet is they use their highest #1 on that barring unforeseen circumstances.

    Ya. Long ways to go. Plus, no more moves will be made until they get the official Gordon suspension... If he IS out for a year, I expect a big trade but not giving up a #1 for anybody...

  • http://www.draftbrowns.com/2014/05/2014-cleveland-browns-undrafted-free-agents/

    I tried to find a link that summarized the undrafted wideouts the Browns got this year, this is the best l could find after a grueling 4 minutes of googling. I didn't see this Conner Vernon fellow on there though. I am curious just HOW deep this receiver class is, and hope one or more if these dudes can bust some chops.

    I'm picking Willie Sneed.

  • http://www.draftbrowns.com/2014/05/2014-cleveland-browns-undrafted-free-agents/

    I tried to find a link that summarized the undrafted wideouts the Browns got this year, this is the best l could find after a grueling 4 minutes of googling. I didn't see this Conner Vernon fellow on there though. I am curious just HOW deep this receiver class is, and hope one or more if these dudes can bust some chops.

    I'm picking Willie Sneed.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    http://www.draftbrowns.com/2014/05/2014-cleveland-browns-undrafted-free-agents/

    I tried to find a link that summarized the undrafted wideouts the Browns got this year, this is the best l could find after a grueling 4 minutes of googling. I didn't see this Conner Vernon fellow on there though. I am curious just HOW deep this receiver class is, and hope one or more if these dudes can bust some chops.

    I'm picking Willie Sneed.

    We signed Conner Vernon week 17 last season. this is his 2nd year... technically

    and as I said before, he is the ACC's all-time leader in career receptions and receiving yards

  • I'm excited about Hawkins as the slot. That's going to be an upgrade because Bess was hideous.

    I also love either Austin of Burleson over Little at #2 because he was hideous.

    Healthy Benjamin will provide a home run hitter off the bench.

    Good prospects among the UDFAs and returning guys.

    Now ... any ideas on how to replace the best WR in the league last year in the #1 role?

    Maybe he doesn't get suspended and we all live happily ever after.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I'm excited about Hawkins as the slot. That's going to be an upgrade because Bess was hideous.

    I also love either Austin of Burleson over Little at #2 because he was hideous.

    Healthy Benjamin will provide a home run hitter off the bench.

    Good prospects among the UDFAs and returning guys.

    Now ... any ideas on how to replace the best WR in the league last year in the #1 role?

    Maybe he doesn't get suspended and we all live happily ever after.

    Zombo

    Enter Charles Johnson

  • I am actually looking forward to seeing this Charles guy play. He went to a small school, but he ran a 4.35 at his pro day. Here's to hoping he will make us forget about flash .

  • This is the guy we picked up late last season, and he ended up having an ACL tear that was found during his physical, correct?

  • This is the guy we picked up late last season, and he ended up having an ACL tear that was found during his physical, correct?

    @tml1138 said:

    This is the guy we picked up late last season, and he ended up having an ACL tear that was found during his physical, correct?

    Yep. Apparently the packers really wanted to keep him.

  • Interesting about Hawkins:

    • Brian Hoyer had some interesting things to say about new wide receiver Andrew Hawkins. Hoyer compared Hawkins to Wes Welker in the way he runs his routes and finishes them. Hawkins looked very good on the day the practice was open.

  • Zombo said:

    I'm excited about Hawkins as the slot. That's going to be an upgrade because Bess was hideous.

    I also love either Austin of Burleson over Little at #2 because he was hideous.

    Healthy Benjamin will provide a home run hitter off the bench.

    Good prospects among the UDFAs and returning guys.

    Now ... any ideas on how to replace the best WR in the league last year in the #1 role?

    Maybe he doesn't get suspended and we all live happily ever after.

    Zombo

    Enter Charles Johnson

    @ballpeen said:

    Enter Charles Johnson

    Don't get too excited. He hasn't even been cleared to practice yet, he's been off the field for quite a while, and is already missing a lot of reps in a new offense...

    As a former 7th round pick, from a small school, who has never played an NFL game... there is no way he is up-to-speed and anywhere near game shape...

    I fear he may be another Carlton Mitchell, but I hope he gets into training camp and gets a chance to show what he can do... Maybe he can be our Marques Colston-type...

  • @ballpeen said:

    Enter Charles Johnson

    Don't get too excited. He hasn't even been cleared to practice yet, he's been off the field for quite a while, and is already missing a lot of reps in a new offense...

    As a former 7th round pick, from a small school, who has never played an NFL game... there is no way he is up-to-speed and anywhere near game shape...

    I fear he may be another Carlton Mitchell, but I hope he gets into training camp and gets a chance to show what he can do... Maybe he can be our Marques Colston-type...

    @thenew23 said:

    Don't get too excited. He hasn't even been cleared to practice yet, he's been off the field for quite a while, and is already missing a lot of reps in a new offense...

    As a former 7th round pick, from a small school, who has never played an NFL game... there is no way he is up-to-speed and anywhere near game shape...

    I fear he may be another Carlton Mitchell, but I hope he gets into training camp and gets a chance to show what he can do... Maybe he can be our Marques Colston-type...

    He may end up being like Gordon in his first season (optimistic, I know)