Skip to content

TEAM AMERICA: World Cup

Barber Shop Talk
252 20 8.2k
  • i'll watch just to see if a goalie gets shot for missing a block on a shot that wins the game or if someone gets hit in the head with a molotov cocktail.

    other than that the shit is boring as hell.

    rather watch golf.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @miktoxic said:

    i'll watch just to see if a goalie gets shot for missing a block on a shot that wins the game or if someone gets hit in the head with a molotov cocktail.

    other than that the shit is boring as hell.

    rather watch golf.

    Man golf is boring. Almost as bad as snooker.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Soccer is as soccer does.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Wow... this got moved.

    I mean, I could have guessed, based on the comments from our posters in the stone age... but damn.

    I guess that means 17 more JF threads are more important than our country

  • Wow... this got moved.

    I mean, I could have guessed, based on the comments from our posters in the stone age... but damn.

    I guess that means 17 more JF threads are more important than our country

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @mld-woody said:

    Wow... this got moved.

    I mean, I could have guessed, based on the comments from our posters in the stone age... but damn.

    I guess that means 17 more JF threads are more important than our country

    It got moved because the other forum is, after all, called The Browns Forum....and at least it is a football forum. This is not a football topic. I have gotten things moved off the Browns forum that were not football topics and it doesnt bother me.

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Soccer is gay.

  • T Taco918 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    http://grantland.com/features/how-to-watch-the-world-cup-like-a-true-soccer-nerd/

    For those of you not real familiar with the game. It's a good read.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Men's team plays Nigeria tonight at 6 on ESPN

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Soccer is so gay even the French were able to win the World Cup

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.

    I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).

    I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.

  • Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.

    I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).

    I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @the-gipper said:

    Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.

    I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).

    I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.

    Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.

    Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.

    I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).

    I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.

    Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.

    Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @gftchris said:

    Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.

    Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.

    Right, well the thing I forgot about is that these national teams are reallly just a ragtag bunch that are put together just before the WC is played, that they need this time to even learn the names of their teammates....and that they have real jobs to go back to.

    Kind of like Olympics teams in a lot of sports, including soccer. And FWIW, if I had my choice, I would rather have our USA team win the Olympic Gold medal than the World Cup. (nothing against the WC, I just put more prestige on the Olympics)

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why are they bothering to play these meaningless "friendly" matches against teams that haven't made the 32 team World Cup field.

    I say expand the tournament to 64 teams....and instead of just having these games be meaningless exhibitions have them be at least first round elimination games (or maybe double elimination rounds).

    I mean, that is like having the NFL teams play preseason exhibition games right before the playoffs start.

    Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.

    Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gftchris said:

    Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.

  • @gftchris said:

    Because the national teams generally get a very small amount of time together to work on their tactics and formations, and so this time together - about 3 weeks after the end of the domestic season for a lot of the teams - is vital in helping preparations. In that time, the teams play friendlies against some opposition they choose, sometimes that's a team they might play in the finals, sometimes it's not. It helps the manager emphasise his points regarding the tactics, and make decisions about selection with more information.

    Again, you're showing you really don't know what you're talking about, but I can't wait for your next bright idea.

    Right, well the thing I forgot about is that these national teams are reallly just a ragtag bunch that are put together just before the WC is played, that they need this time to even learn the names of their teammates....and that they have real jobs to go back to.

    Kind of like Olympics teams in a lot of sports, including soccer. And FWIW, if I had my choice, I would rather have our USA team win the Olympic Gold medal than the World Cup. (nothing against the WC, I just put more prestige on the Olympics)

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @the-gipper said:

    Right, well the thing I forgot about is that these national teams are reallly just a ragtag bunch that are put together just before the WC is played, that they need this time to even learn the names of their teammates....and that they have real jobs to go back to.

    Kind of like Olympics teams in a lot of sports, including soccer. And FWIW, if I had my choice, I would rather have our USA team win the Olympic Gold medal than the World Cup. (nothing against the WC, I just put more prestige on the Olympics)

    Oh I had forgotten about the "Olympics is more prestigious than the world cup" thing you're trying. No, it's not. You ask literally any footballer which they'd rather win and you'll get a 100% response for the world cup. A major reason being that it's limited to the u23 age group (with three over 23 players allowed), so it's basically just another youth tournament.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Right, well the thing I forgot about is that these national teams are reallly just a ragtag bunch that are put together just before the WC is played, that they need this time to even learn the names of their teammates....and that they have real jobs to go back to.

    Kind of like Olympics teams in a lot of sports, including soccer. And FWIW, if I had my choice, I would rather have our USA team win the Olympic Gold medal than the World Cup. (nothing against the WC, I just put more prestige on the Olympics)

    Oh I had forgotten about the "Olympics is more prestigious than the world cup" thing you're trying. No, it's not. You ask literally any footballer which they'd rather win and you'll get a 100% response for the world cup. A major reason being that it's limited to the u23 age group (with three over 23 players allowed), so it's basically just another youth tournament.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #22

    @gftchris said:

    Oh I had forgotten about the "Olympics is more prestigious than the world cup" thing you're trying. No, it's not. You ask literally any footballer which they'd rather win and you'll get a 100% response for the world cup. A major reason being that it's limited to the u23 age group (with three over 23 players allowed), so it's basically just another youth tournament.

    I don't care what any soccer player/fan thinks....I personally would rather see a Gold Medal than a WC world cup. (of course, maybe the fact that the US has no real shot at it is a factor).

    And, since as you say the Olympic tournament is nothing but a youth tournament, (I did not know that) I propose that they eliminate soccer as an Olympic Sport. The IOCs reasoning for taking baseball out of the Olympics is because the very best baseball players could not participate due to the regular baseball season conflicting with the baseball schedule. The same should apply to soccer as well. If soccer would send its best to the Olympics, then that tournament, in my mind, would supersede the WC.

    Oh, by the way schmekelheads, trying to put me down because you say I don't know about certain esoteric aspects of the game of soccer, or how they run their tournament is NOT, to me a criticism at all. In fact, it is somewhat a badge of honor. It is like criticizing me for not knowing the nuances concerning the methods of cooking and flavoring Liver and Onions. I don't care because I don't like it that well. Bottom line, you can put lipstick on a pig...it is still a pig.

    I will watch some soccer, expecially games involving the US. I will probably hope that some upstart wins. I think it would be boring as fuck to have Brazil win the tournament. The USA won't....so how about England. For your sake gft I will be all behind the Brits winning it (though I guess it is not "the Brits"....since "Brits" includes the Scotch and Welsh no?).

    Or how about Uruguay?

    Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass for Brazilian pride for Uruguay to win.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    As for removing soccer from the olympics, there are plenty of people who would agree with you on that.

  • Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    As for removing soccer from the olympics, there are plenty of people who would agree with you on that.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @gftchris said:

    Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    I understand. My point is that somehow YOU imply that because I don't know all these esoteric nuances about your sport that I am somehow disgualified from commenting on it.

    I mean, do you know what a double play is? hit and run? double switch? Sacrifice? Phantom tag? Slurve? Balk? OPS?

    As for removing soccer from the olympics, there are plenty of people who would agree with you on that.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #25

    A lot of the things you don't seem to know aren't tiny little nuances in the game. Some of them seem important enough to devalue your opinion as far as how you rate the game and how you would want it changed.

  • Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    As for removing soccer from the olympics, there are plenty of people who would agree with you on that.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @gftchris said:

    Ignorance as a badge of honour? Are you 14?

    He'd fit in on the Political Board, lol

  • A lot of the things you don't seem to know aren't tiny little nuances in the game. Some of them seem important enough to devalue your opinion as far as how you rate the game and how you would want it changed.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @mld-woody said:

    A lot of the things you don't seem to know aren't tiny little nuances in the game.

    There is nothing about soccer that isn't a "little nuance".

    Some of them seem important enough to devalue your opinion as far as how you rate the game and how you would want it changed.

    The game sucks. So devalue that opinion.

    But it migh suck less if they adopted some of my suggestions.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #28
    With the 23rd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select... Devin Funchess, Wide Receiver, Michigan

    I might have dated his Grandma back in the late 60's or early 70's