Skip to content

TEAM AMERICA: World Cup

Barber Shop Talk
252 20 8.2k
  • @jrb12711 said:

    The bottom line for me is I respect soccer and can actually watch it when USA is playing because you know what? They don't dive like weenies. To be fair, I know a good number of guys who enjoy futbol and they hate the dive and fake injury crap probably more than we do. It's a shame because soccer could be a sport to watch but it's unbearable seeing guys get grazed and go down like they broke their neck.

    Sorry, I love soccer (I'm English, what do you expect?), but the players dive all over the place and it's disgraceful. See Fred's penalty from last night against Croatia, it's utterly shameful. It's a cancer on the game.

    @gftchris said:

    Sorry, I love soccer (I'm English, what do you expect?), but the players dive all over the place and it's disgraceful. See Fred's penalty from last night against Croatia, it's utterly shameful. It's a cancer on the game.

    Yeah, I could be totally wrong but I honestly think the USA dives less because they know the shit they'll take from it here. I'm sure right now in Brazil most fans are saying, 'oh just part of the game'.

    I read a very interesting op-ed piece in my local paper though (US again) about soccer that will likely get people here pissed off but makes sense. With the push away from football and other 'contact' sports, kids of this generation are going to be playing soccer more and more. However, we as Americans aren't going to settle for the dive crap and kids will be taught in the game to play hard and clean. I don't think football will ever be overtaken but it wouldn't surprise me at all if soccer becomes the 2nd or 3rd highest watched sport in the US in 15-20 years.

  • The bottom line for me is I respect soccer and can actually watch it when USA is playing because you know what? They don't dive like weenies. To be fair, I know a good number of guys who enjoy futbol and they hate the dive and fake injury crap probably more than we do. It's a shame because soccer could be a sport to watch but it's unbearable seeing guys get grazed and go down like they broke their neck.

    @jrb12711 said:

    The bottom line for me is I respect soccer and can actually watch it when USA is playing because you know what? They don't dive like weenies. To be fair, I know a good number of guys who enjoy futbol and they hate the dive and fake injury crap probably more than we do. It's a shame because soccer could be a sport to watch but it's unbearable seeing guys get grazed and go down like they broke their neck.

    The big controversy in the opening game was that the Brazil team got some kind of penalty kick to score that put them ahead....but all the analysts said that play was wrong....that it was just a big flop on the part of the Brazil player.

    My cousin....from England no less...has a name for soccer players: Preening Pansies. His words.

    (but of course, we have our own floppers here as well....in basketball particularly. Dwane Wade just got fined for flopping. and what about in football those guys that fake injuries in order to stop the clock.)

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, but answer honestly....what kind of kick in the ass would it be for Uruguay to win on Brazil soil? Or perhaps better yet: Argentina. What would be more embarassing?

    Uruguary, without any doubt in my mind, because of the Maracanazo and the effect it still has on the team. The best possible scenario for Brazil at the world cup would be to play Uruguay in the final and beat them.

    @gftchris said:

    Uruguary, without any doubt in my mind, because of the Maracanazo and the effect it still has on the team. The best possible scenario for Brazil at the world cup would be to play Uruguay in the final and beat them.

    What is the Maracanazo...and why would it have an effect on the team

  • @gftchris said:

    Uruguary, without any doubt in my mind, because of the Maracanazo and the effect it still has on the team. The best possible scenario for Brazil at the world cup would be to play Uruguay in the final and beat them.

    What is the Maracanazo...and why would it have an effect on the team

    @the-gipper said:

    What is the Maracanazo...and why would it have an effect on the team

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=maracanazo

  • The officiating has been god damn awful. They really need to implement replay so that they can punish divers.

  • It's not been any better in the Mexico - Cameroon game.

  • It's not been any better in the Mexico - Cameroon game.

    @gftchris said:

    It's not been any better in the Mexico - Cameroon game.

    Yeah, Mexico should be up 3 goals.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    The bottom line for me is I respect soccer and can actually watch it when USA is playing because you know what? They don't dive like weenies. To be fair, I know a good number of guys who enjoy futbol and they hate the dive and fake injury crap probably more than we do. It's a shame because soccer could be a sport to watch but it's unbearable seeing guys get grazed and go down like they broke their neck.

    The big controversy in the opening game was that the Brazil team got some kind of penalty kick to score that put them ahead....but all the analysts said that play was wrong....that it was just a big flop on the part of the Brazil player.

    My cousin....from England no less...has a name for soccer players: Preening Pansies. His words.

    (but of course, we have our own floppers here as well....in basketball particularly. Dwane Wade just got fined for flopping. and what about in football those guys that fake injuries in order to stop the clock.)

    @the-gipper said:

    The big controversy in the opening game was that the Brazil team got some kind of penalty kick to score that put them ahead....but all the analysts said that play was wrong....that it was just a big flop on the part of the Brazil player.

    My cousin....from England no less...has a name for soccer players: Preening Pansies. His words.

    (but of course, we have our own floppers here as well....in basketball particularly. Dwane Wade just got fined for flopping. and what about in football those guys that fake injuries in order to stop the clock.)

    LOL, Bill Laimbeer made flopping an art form. 🙂 Yes I agree about the faking in soccer. However, I do enjoy watching the World Cup- sort of like the way a lot of non-football fans watch the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean I don't understand the game- I liken it to slow motion hockey, which I actually played.

  • Oh well, they won in the end, so justice done - unless they draw with Croatia and it comes down to goal difference.

  • Van Persie's header just might be the most spectacular goal of the tournament. Why are they wearing these colors?

    /edit - and just like that he gets upstaged by Robben's magnificent finish

  • @gftchris said:

    Sorry, I love soccer (I'm English, what do you expect?), but the players dive all over the place and it's disgraceful. See Fred's penalty from last night against Croatia, it's utterly shameful. It's a cancer on the game.

    Yeah, I could be totally wrong but I honestly think the USA dives less because they know the shit they'll take from it here. I'm sure right now in Brazil most fans are saying, 'oh just part of the game'.

    I read a very interesting op-ed piece in my local paper though (US again) about soccer that will likely get people here pissed off but makes sense. With the push away from football and other 'contact' sports, kids of this generation are going to be playing soccer more and more. However, we as Americans aren't going to settle for the dive crap and kids will be taught in the game to play hard and clean. I don't think football will ever be overtaken but it wouldn't surprise me at all if soccer becomes the 2nd or 3rd highest watched sport in the US in 15-20 years.

    @jrb12711 said:

    . I don't think football will ever be overtaken but it wouldn't surprise me at all if soccer becomes the 2nd or 3rd highest watched sport in the US in 15-20 years.

    That is just the pipe dream of soccer finooks.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The big controversy in the opening game was that the Brazil team got some kind of penalty kick to score that put them ahead....but all the analysts said that play was wrong....that it was just a big flop on the part of the Brazil player.

    My cousin....from England no less...has a name for soccer players: Preening Pansies. His words.

    (but of course, we have our own floppers here as well....in basketball particularly. Dwane Wade just got fined for flopping. and what about in football those guys that fake injuries in order to stop the clock.)

    LOL, Bill Laimbeer made flopping an art form. 🙂 Yes I agree about the faking in soccer. However, I do enjoy watching the World Cup- sort of like the way a lot of non-football fans watch the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean I don't understand the game- I liken it to slow motion hockey, which I actually played.

    @hoorta said:

    LOL, Bill Laimbeer made flopping an art form. 🙂 Yes I agree about the faking in soccer. However, I do enjoy watching the World Cup- sort of like the way a lot of non-football fans watch the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean I don't understand the game- I liken it to slow motion hockey, which I actually played.

    I heard a hockey announcer refer to hockey as "soccer on ice"....but a couple of guys here disagreed with me that there was such a similarity in the way those games are played.

  • Netherlands up 5-1 on Spain

  • That was an ass beating. The Dutch were literally toying with Casillas on those last two goals.

    I was upset about Mexico winning (even though they deserved the win) but I'm ecstatic with this result.

    The big question now is do the Dutch ride with the navy or go back to the orange?

  • Why is this here and pinned? I thought we had a thread going already

  • The Spanish keeper was awful

  • Why is this here and pinned? I thought we had a thread going already

    @mld-woody said:

    Why is this here and pinned? I thought we had a thread going already

    ponch-chips-homo-insulting-picture-abusi

  • Gipper, if you need an explanation as for why there are more European and South American teams in the world cup I suggest you watch the first 15 minutes of Chile v Australia.

  • Gipper, if you need an explanation as for why there are more European and South American teams in the world cup I suggest you watch the first 15 minutes of Chile v Australia.

    @taco918 said:

    Gipper, if you need an explanation as for why there are more European and South American teams in the world cup I suggest you watch the first 15 minutes of Chile v Australia.

    I didn't see the first 15 minutes, but I did see about 15 minutes in some later part of the game. Chile had the lead but I saw the Aussies pressing the action more.

    I mean, the Dutch made the defending champions look like a high school squad or something.....perhaps a team from another continent would have given the Dutch a better match.....and, after all, the last time I looked, Spain was still in Europe.

  • The hustle by that Swiss dude on the transition was beautiful.

    Palacios getting sent off was poetic justice, fucking diving pussy.