Skip to content

TEAM AMERICA: World Cup

Barber Shop Talk
252 20 8.2k
  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by MLD Woody
    #76

    The added time doesn't really have to do with the score, more so with what happened during regular time. A lot of injuries and what not will result in more stoppage time, hence the name. The red ideally adds up the time lost from these stoppages to create stoppage time.

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by VaporTrail
    #77

    So do we want Germany and Portugal to draw or one of them to beat the living crap out of the other?

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #78

    Germany will win all of their games (unless resting players in game 3). Portugal, who are 2-0 down currently, have just lost their main striker to a hamstring injury. They're there for the taking, if you can contain Ronaldo.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #79

    And Pepe sent off (and so banned for the next 2 games at least)

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
    #80

    Wooooo. They'll be short Pepe for us.

    Eh, maybe we'd be better off if he was in.

  • Wooooo. They'll be short Pepe for us.

    Eh, maybe we'd be better off if he was in.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @vaportrail said:

    Wooooo. They'll be short Pepe for us.

    Eh, maybe we'd be better off if he was in.

    He's a quality defender who's a bit hot-headed.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #82

    3-0...

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
    #83

    I'm getting pumped for this Ghana game.

    Redemption.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #84

    But you always lose to Ghana, right? 😛

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by VaporTrail
    #85

    Not this year, I hope.

    Coentrao is likely out too.

  • @the-gipper said:

    What is the Maracanazo...and why would it have an effect on the team

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=maracanazo

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #86

    @gftchris said:

    Seems like it could be compared to Super Bowl III a bit.. Let me know if you need to know about that.

  • Wooooo. They'll be short Pepe for us.

    Eh, maybe we'd be better off if he was in.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @vaportrail said:

    Wooooo. They'll be short Pepe for us.

    Eh, maybe we'd be better off if he was in.

    You always were one to whoot about short Pepes.

  • But you always lose to Ghana, right? 😛

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #88

    @gftchris said:

    But you always lose to Ghana, right? 😛

    No, not with our stockpile of nuclear weapons, I wouldn't think so. And we are prepared to use them!!

  • But you always lose to Ghana, right? 😛

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @gftchris said:

    But you always lose to Ghana, right? 😛

    not today
  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #90

    What a gut wrenching game

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by VaporTrail
    #91

    That was hard to watch. Our sidebacks were awful, especially Beasley, and I'm not looking forward to him matching up against Nani or Ronaldo. Bradley needed to wake the fuck up because he was awful too. Jermaine Jones played lights out. Tim Howard let in an easy near post goal, but it was one-on-one, and his play kept us in the game as usual - the guy's in the top 5 keepers. Sucks to see Altidore go out like that, but hopefully Johannsen steps up as he'll be getting some first team reps in practice.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #92

    I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.

    Z

  • I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.

    Z

    VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
    #93

    Zombo said:

    I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.

    Z

    I know you're being facetious, but you're god damn right it is a proud day. This small African nation sent us packing from the last two World Cups, and they're ranked better than we are.

  • I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.

    Z

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #94

    Zombo said:

    I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.

    Z

    Yea, but the guy that took the knee to the nose, which was broken, sucked it up and stayed in the game.

    But, I agree, US soccer players should not be the preening pansies they are everywhere else on the globe. You don't flop, you don't whine, you don't cry. You don't act like a fucking drama queen. You are an American athlete....act like one. Dempsey, the guy with the broken nose, did so. Not sure about the other guy. I wasn't watching it then ..I hadn't gotten home from work yet. But even if he was legitimately hurt, which I don't doubt....a gurney for a hamstring pull? You walk off with the limp...or you get a couple of teammates to help you off while you lean on their shoulders.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #95

    Even though they won, even I, with my non soccer background, could tell that it looked like the US Soccer team was playing sluggish. They seemed overall slower than the other team. And they seemed sloppy...always losing possession. And it seemed that for most of the game that I saw, (which was maybe a half to 2/3rds of it) it was Ghana that seem to press the action. They seemed more aggressive. The US seemed to a great extent to just want to do a 4 corners act after they got that first goal very early on.

    I mean, is that a strategy? Get a goal in the first minute of the game and then play prevent defense for the other 90+ minutes. It seemed like that is what they were attempting.

    Those of you with more intimate knowledge of the sport, please advise if I am off base here. Was that the strategy...or was the US just more affected by the heat and humidity than the other team?