TEAM AMERICA: World Cup
-
What is the Maracanazo...and why would it have an effect on the team
Seems like it could be compared to Super Bowl III a bit.. Let me know if you need to know about that.
-
Wooooo. They'll be short Pepe for us.
Eh, maybe we'd be better off if he was in.
Wooooo. They'll be short Pepe for us.
Eh, maybe we'd be better off if he was in.
You always were one to whoot about short Pepes.
-
-
-
What a gut wrenching game
-
That was hard to watch. Our sidebacks were awful, especially Beasley, and I'm not looking forward to him matching up against Nani or Ronaldo. Bradley needed to wake the fuck up because he was awful too. Jermaine Jones played lights out. Tim Howard let in an easy near post goal, but it was one-on-one, and his play kept us in the game as usual - the guy's in the top 5 keepers. Sucks to see Altidore go out like that, but hopefully Johannsen steps up as he'll be getting some first team reps in practice.
-
-
I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.
Z
Zombo said:
I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.
Z
I know you're being facetious, but you're god damn right it is a proud day. This small African nation sent us packing from the last two World Cups, and they're ranked better than we are.
-
I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.
Z
Zombo said:
I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.
Z
Yea, but the guy that took the knee to the nose, which was broken, sucked it up and stayed in the game.
But, I agree, US soccer players should not be the preening pansies they are everywhere else on the globe. You don't flop, you don't whine, you don't cry. You don't act like a fucking drama queen. You are an American athlete....act like one. Dempsey, the guy with the broken nose, did so. Not sure about the other guy. I wasn't watching it then ..I hadn't gotten home from work yet. But even if he was legitimately hurt, which I don't doubt....a gurney for a hamstring pull? You walk off with the limp...or you get a couple of teammates to help you off while you lean on their shoulders.
-
Even though they won, even I, with my non soccer background, could tell that it looked like the US Soccer team was playing sluggish. They seemed overall slower than the other team. And they seemed sloppy...always losing possession. And it seemed that for most of the game that I saw, (which was maybe a half to 2/3rds of it) it was Ghana that seem to press the action. They seemed more aggressive. The US seemed to a great extent to just want to do a 4 corners act after they got that first goal very early on.
I mean, is that a strategy? Get a goal in the first minute of the game and then play prevent defense for the other 90+ minutes. It seemed like that is what they were attempting.
Those of you with more intimate knowledge of the sport, please advise if I am off base here. Was that the strategy...or was the US just more affected by the heat and humidity than the other team?
-
I didn't watch the game (it kicked off at 11pm last night), but that's not something I've read in any reports here. USA got an early goal, then Ghana were the better team for large parts, while USA tired in the second half. Ghana got the equaliser, and it looked like they would be the team most likely to get the winner, but then the young lad popped up with a header from a corner and that was all she wrote.
-
Zombo said:
I hear we beat a small African country and had a player with pulled hammy taken off the field on a stretcher ... Proud day in American sports history.
Z
Yea, but the guy that took the knee to the nose, which was broken, sucked it up and stayed in the game.
But, I agree, US soccer players should not be the preening pansies they are everywhere else on the globe. You don't flop, you don't whine, you don't cry. You don't act like a fucking drama queen. You are an American athlete....act like one. Dempsey, the guy with the broken nose, did so. Not sure about the other guy. I wasn't watching it then ..I hadn't gotten home from work yet. But even if he was legitimately hurt, which I don't doubt....a gurney for a hamstring pull? You walk off with the limp...or you get a couple of teammates to help you off while you lean on their shoulders.
Yea, but the guy that took the knee to the nose, which was broken, sucked it up and stayed in the game.
But, I agree, US soccer players should not be the preening pansies they are everywhere else on the globe. You don't flop, you don't whine, you don't cry. You don't act like a fucking drama queen. You are an American athlete....act like one. Dempsey, the guy with the broken nose, did so. Not sure about the other guy. I wasn't watching it then ..I hadn't gotten home from work yet. But even if he was legitimately hurt, which I don't doubt....a gurney for a hamstring pull? You walk off with the limp...or you get a couple of teammates to help you off while you lean on their shoulders.
For the most part, the hold-your-face-and-roll around flopping doesn't happen too much on the US side compared to the rest of the world, especially Central American and African teams, imo. That being said, I've seen Dempsey flop more than anyone else on our team.
Even though they won, even I, with my non soccer background, could tell that it looked like the US Soccer team was playing sluggish. They seemed overall slower than the other team. And they seemed sloppy...always losing possession. And it seemed that for most of the game that I saw, (which was maybe a half to 2/3rds of it) it was Ghana that seem to press the action. They seemed more aggressive. The US seemed to a great extent to just want to do a 4 corners act after they got that first goal very early on.
I mean, is that a strategy? Get a goal in the first minute of the game and then play prevent defense for the other 90+ minutes. It seemed like that is what they were attempting.
Those of you with more intimate knowledge of the sport, please advise if I am off base here. Was that the strategy...or was the US just more affected by the heat and humidity than the other team?
Your first paragraph sums up the game aptly.
Altidore and Dempsey both getting hurt disrupted the rhythm of the offense. To further compound this problem, Bradley had one of the worst games of his career, imo. This had a huge impact as Bradley is usually heavily involved as we bring the ball upfield. Unfortunately for the team, his passes were way off, his runs off the ball were non-existent, and it resulted in turnovers and a stagnant offense. I don't necessarily think that a prevent defense was the strategy, rather poor play from the defense and midfield which resulted in Ghana's offense teeing off against Howard.
-
Awesome match last night. You fags missed it, what a game.
-
What a game. I can't believe people are not watching it.
FYI, it got a 7.0 rating. NBA Finals Game 5 got a 6.8.
You guys are gay.
-
Even though they won, even I, with my non soccer background, could tell that it looked like the US Soccer team was playing sluggish. They seemed overall slower than the other team. And they seemed sloppy...always losing possession. And it seemed that for most of the game that I saw, (which was maybe a half to 2/3rds of it) it was Ghana that seem to press the action. They seemed more aggressive. The US seemed to a great extent to just want to do a 4 corners act after they got that first goal very early on.
I mean, is that a strategy? Get a goal in the first minute of the game and then play prevent defense for the other 90+ minutes. It seemed like that is what they were attempting.
Those of you with more intimate knowledge of the sport, please advise if I am off base here. Was that the strategy...or was the US just more affected by the heat and humidity than the other team?
Even though they won, even I, with my non soccer background, could tell that it looked like the US Soccer team was playing sluggish. They seemed overall slower than the other team. And they seemed sloppy...always losing possession. And it seemed that for most of the game that I saw, (which was maybe a half to 2/3rds of it) it was Ghana that seem to press the action. They seemed more aggressive. The US seemed to a great extent to just want to do a 4 corners act after they got that first goal very early on.
I mean, is that a strategy? Get a goal in the first minute of the game and then play prevent defense for the other 90+ minutes. It seemed like that is what they were attempting.
Those of you with more intimate knowledge of the sport, please advise if I am off base here. Was that the strategy...or was the US just more affected by the heat and humidity than the other team?
The most important stat, they won. Their defense is ranked in the top 10. Probably the best goalie. If they can get the players that were hurt back, they have a good chance.
-
What a game. I can't believe people are not watching it.
FYI, it got a 7.0 rating. NBA Finals Game 5 got a 6.8.
You guys are gay.
What a game. I can't believe people are not watching it.
FYI, it got a 7.0 rating. NBA Finals Game 5 got a 6.8.
You guys are gay.
Uhh, no. The article I saw says that the Nielsen ratings for USA-Ghana were 7.0, but for Spurs-Heat is was 11.7.
-
That trend continued on Monday, when the Ghana-USA broadcast on ESPN earned an 11.8 overnight rating in the Washington market, the highest number in the country by quite a bit. New York (10.2), Hartford/New Haven (10.1), Boston (10.0) Columbus (8.9) and Baltimore (8.7) rounded out the top six.
-
The 7.0 rating does not, overall, match World Series ratings. (obviously World Cup ratings could get higher if USA continues to win.).
One thing they did good: start the game early. World Series games start and end way too late.
-
The USA vs Germany match would get huge ratings if it wasn't in the afternoon
-
This great performance too
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
