Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Open Carry

Open Carry

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
116 Posts 12 Posters 2.0k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
    • 33k Posts
    • 3k Reputation
    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I'm curious, what do our resident gun enthusiasts think about this? Do you support open carry? What do you think of dudes walking into restaurants and shit with big ass rifles on their back?

    Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
    BrownsKiddB 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • gftChris gftChrisG
      • 13k Posts
      • 428 Reputation
      gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
      #2

      628x471.jpg

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
        • 28k Posts
        • 6k Reputation
        DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
        #3

        It's already legal in many places.

        "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • LogicIsForSquares LogicIsForSquaresL Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 10k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Open carry of a pistol? Not my cup but I understand why some would. Open carry of long guns into stores? Those guys are fucking idiots and trying to seek attention. They are alienating people who very well may be sympathetic towards gun rights.

          W 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares

            Open carry of a pistol? Not my cup but I understand why some would. Open carry of long guns into stores? Those guys are fucking idiots and trying to seek attention. They are alienating people who very well may be sympathetic towards gun rights.

            Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
            • 39k Posts
            • 9k Reputation
            W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @logicisforsquares said:

            Open carry of a pistol? Not my cup but I understand why some would. Open carry of long guns into stores? Those guys are fucking idiots and trying to seek attention. They are alienating people who very well may be sympathetic towards gun rights.

            I agree with you logic. Many times people enjoy exercising their rights to a ridiculous degree just to show off. However I think I would hesitate at taking that right away.

            WSS

            www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
              • 39k Posts
              • 9k Reputation
              W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Should a 5th degree black belt be allowed to wear his uniform and belt in a public place, a restaurant or a bar since those are the places get people worked up?

              Yes he does the capacity to cause a great deal of harm.

              WSS

              www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
                • 3k Posts
                • 197 Reputation
                Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by Legacy Fan
                #7

                It's not for me personally, but I am not opposed to it and can see where it's necessary (for pistols/handguns). IWB carry of a Glock 21/17/22 is not comfortable, but I don't personally like having a target painted on me, so when I carry, I choose a more concealable firearm, and make sure I'm the only one that knows it's there.

                OC of rifles is silly. I agree with Logic on that, but recent events in the news about OC in texas (Chipotle, starbucks, or wherever) I support their premise / cause. Here's why:

                Woody (or Chris maybe), this goes back to our discussion of Politicians/Lawmakers being clueless hacks. Keep that in mind. In Texas, it is illegal to carry a pistol openly, even if it's holstered Level 3 (3 pts of retention). All pistols must be concealed. Printing (having the outline of a gun show through your clothing) could be considered "not concealed" depending on the prosecutor. Which, again, is silly. It is, however, legal to carry a rifle openly. Which is why that's what you're currently seeing. the OC movement in TX is looking to bring attention to the absurdity of the current laws, by saying, "it's within the law (and our rights) to carry this openly, but not a handgun?"

                You can find videos on YOUTUBE of punk-ass dummies carrying rifles openly in states that do permit OC of handguns just to badger police officers and upload to YT. They are the worst of the worst, imo.

                Edit:

                When I take my family hiking/ camping there are some natl & state forests that do not permit OC. This would be a time where I preferred it due to comfort. I'm more concerned with bears/ bobcats than other hikers/campers with ill intent (like a 95/5 % relationship here). Being "the dad" I get to carry the family's snacks drinks jackets etc. and OC would make my hike a bit more comfortable.

                Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
                MLD WoodyM 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • gftChris gftChrisG
                  • 13k Posts
                  • 428 Reputation
                  gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  I've seen a few of those videos, Legacy. The kids are all about 'showing the public that they have a right to carry a gun and don't have to comply with the police' - when asked 'why are you carrying that large scary looking weapon around' - paraphrasing, obviously - their only response is 'we're exercising our rights as citizens'. Dicks. If they'd come up with 'it's self defense' or anything remotely approaching a relevant reason then it's a different story.

                  I can see that there's a case for people to show their weapons as a deterrent to any would-be criminals, such as someone going in to rob a corner shop or whatever. But then, I suspect it's not putting them off for life, just a day. While there's a right to carry guns, whether it's on display or concealed is not a big issue for me. The problem comes when you have people walking around with the 'big scary looking guns' intimidating people, professing to just be 'exercising their rights.' If your concern is self defense, stopping a rampage or whatever, then a pistol will fire a bullet in to a guy's head just as easily as a rifle. And - I'm just guessing here but it would make sense - it's a lot quicker on the draw.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                    • 64k Posts
                    • 8k Reputation
                    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    Legacy nailed it.

                    I see open carry as a right, but this unnecessary open carry to shove it into

                    other peoples' faces is an abuse of a right, as I see it.

                    When I go out back to shoot groundhogs (those vermin are making a few big holes in our

                    hay field and ag field), if I see the kids next door playing out in their yard, I don't go out.

                    Sure, I have every right to. But I just think I can wait til they aren't out to go walking back to shoot.

                    I love my ccw license, and my little 9mm semi-auto, American made goes with us on vacation, out

                    to auctions in the country, for most any half day drive anywhere, and if we go out in the evening.

                    All sorts of times. But if it were totally legal to open carry also...why would I do that, outside

                    of wanting to impress people I don't know, or intimidate them, or scare them.... nah.

                    I will say that Legacy is also right - when we were hiking in N.C., it was hot, and usually I wear

                    two shirts - the lower one to protect my skin from the edge of the gun while we climb

                    over rocks, up a group of stairs, etc. It would be cooler, literally, to just have it open carry.

                    But there are other folks, like kids, who are afraid of guns, whatever, and it isn't necessary to advertise I have it

                    with open carry.

                    Besides, open carry of a gun anymore, isn't that like walking around with a handful of big bills for everybody

                    to see? That could end up with the holder getting mugged, eh?

                    With freedom comes responsibility. I hold myself responsible in all ways in being a gun guy.

                    This belligerent open carry alienates people who are against guns. It's stupid, isn't necessary at all.

                    To me, that's similar to yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater just because you have freedom of speech.

                    Not so fast with the abuse of a freedom. That's pretty much why there are 50 states with ccw laws now -

                    it allows us the freedom to be armed in case, someday, we desperately need to defend ourselves against

                    some potentially lethal threat, while not offending the sensibilities of those who would otherwise be alarmed.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                      • 15k Posts
                      • 2k Reputation
                      T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      They're all assholes. That is the long and short of it. They're hurting the cause of people who aren't. There's no reason to walk around strapped bothering people's families.

                      Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                        • 33k Posts
                        • 3k Reputation
                        MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        This is sort of analogous to gay rights parades where dudes are mostly naked and covered in glitter. I would guess, for the average gay person that just wants to be treated like everyone else, this excessive display is turning the rest of america off your side (possibly). Here, instead of being naked and covered in glitter, these guys carry around big, scary ass looking guns just to bring attention to themselves. It is most likely turning a lot of people off of the pro gun side by seeing idiots take actions like this.

                        It isn't the exact same situation, but I see some similarities.

                        Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Legacy FanL Legacy Fan

                          It's not for me personally, but I am not opposed to it and can see where it's necessary (for pistols/handguns). IWB carry of a Glock 21/17/22 is not comfortable, but I don't personally like having a target painted on me, so when I carry, I choose a more concealable firearm, and make sure I'm the only one that knows it's there.

                          OC of rifles is silly. I agree with Logic on that, but recent events in the news about OC in texas (Chipotle, starbucks, or wherever) I support their premise / cause. Here's why:

                          Woody (or Chris maybe), this goes back to our discussion of Politicians/Lawmakers being clueless hacks. Keep that in mind. In Texas, it is illegal to carry a pistol openly, even if it's holstered Level 3 (3 pts of retention). All pistols must be concealed. Printing (having the outline of a gun show through your clothing) could be considered "not concealed" depending on the prosecutor. Which, again, is silly. It is, however, legal to carry a rifle openly. Which is why that's what you're currently seeing. the OC movement in TX is looking to bring attention to the absurdity of the current laws, by saying, "it's within the law (and our rights) to carry this openly, but not a handgun?"

                          You can find videos on YOUTUBE of punk-ass dummies carrying rifles openly in states that do permit OC of handguns just to badger police officers and upload to YT. They are the worst of the worst, imo.

                          Edit:

                          When I take my family hiking/ camping there are some natl & state forests that do not permit OC. This would be a time where I preferred it due to comfort. I'm more concerned with bears/ bobcats than other hikers/campers with ill intent (like a 95/5 % relationship here). Being "the dad" I get to carry the family's snacks drinks jackets etc. and OC would make my hike a bit more comfortable.

                          MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                          • 33k Posts
                          • 3k Reputation
                          MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @legacy-fan said:

                          It's not for me personally, but I am not opposed to it and can see where it's necessary (for pistols/handguns). IWB carry of a Glock 21/17/22 is not comfortable, but I don't personally like having a target painted on me, so when I carry, I choose a more concealable firearm, and make sure I'm the only one that knows it's there.

                          OC of rifles is silly. I agree with Logic on that, but recent events in the news about OC in texas (Chipotle, starbucks, or wherever) I support their premise / cause. Here's why:

                          Woody (or Chris maybe), this goes back to our discussion of Politicians/Lawmakers being clueless hacks. Keep that in mind. In Texas, it is illegal to carry a pistol openly, even if it's holstered Level 3 (3 pts of retention). All pistols must be concealed. Printing (having the outline of a gun show through your clothing) could be considered "not concealed" depending on the prosecutor. Which, again, is silly. It is, however, legal to carry a rifle openly. Which is why that's what you're currently seeing. the OC movement in TX is looking to bring attention to the absurdity of the current laws, by saying, "it's within the law (and our rights) to carry this openly, but not a handgun?"

                          You can find videos on YOUTUBE of punk-ass dummies carrying rifles openly in states that do permit OC of handguns just to badger police officers and upload to YT. They are the worst of the worst, imo.

                          Edit:

                          When I take my family hiking/ camping there are some natl & state forests that do not permit OC. This would be a time where I preferred it due to comfort. I'm more concerned with bears/ bobcats than other hikers/campers with ill intent (like a 95/5 % relationship here). Being "the dad" I get to carry the family's snacks drinks jackets etc. and OC would make my hike a bit more comfortable.

                          I think, in this case, it speaks more to how messed up or legislative process can be as opposed to politicians not knowing what they're talking about

                          Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                            • 33k Posts
                            • 3k Reputation
                            MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I saw Jon Steward bring up an interesting point. Combined this with Stand Your Ground. There are a bunch of dudes (or one dude) walking around with big ass guns. You don't know if they're good guys or bad guys. You don't know their intentions. They're walking in to your business, who knows what they're up to. With Stand Your Ground, you are within your right to shoot them then and there because you feel reasonably threatened. You have no duty to see what they are up to first.

                            I'd laugh if this situation plays out. If one of these douchebags shoots another douchebag because they felt "threatened".

                            Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                              • 39k Posts
                              • 9k Reputation
                              W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                              #14

                              I doubt that would stand up Woody.

                              I would imagine any shit bag first year law student could point out that the person with the weapons would probably need to do something threatening before you can shoot him.

                              I realize how hip it is too freaking out over stand your ground but you really do need to be threatened before you can respond.

                              WSS

                              www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                              Browns149B 1 Reply Last reply
                              👍
                              Quote Reply
                              • W Westside Steve

                                I doubt that would stand up Woody.

                                I would imagine any shit bag first year law student could point out that the person with the weapons would probably need to do something threatening before you can shoot him.

                                I realize how hip it is too freaking out over stand your ground but you really do need to be threatened before you can respond.

                                WSS

                                Browns149 Browns149B Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 10k Posts
                                • 2k Reputation
                                Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @westside-steve said:

                                I doubt that would stand up Woody.

                                I would imagine any shit bag first year law student could point out that the person with the weapons would probably need to do something threatening before you can shoot him.

                                I realize how hip it is too freaking out over stand your ground but you really do need to be threatened before you can respond.

                                WSS

                                I do believe you are correct. You can't shoot someone just because they are carrying a gun. Carrying a gun, in its self, is NOT considered a threat. Now if you are carrying it in your hands and pointing it a people, that's another story. But if the gun is on your hip or across your back, it is NOT a threat.

                                "And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about And I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve."
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                  • 64k Posts
                                  • 8k Reputation
                                  C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  You did a good job in the previous post, woody, except you drug that subject into a

                                  different subject ...again.

                                  But simply walking around with a hammer doesn't mean somebody is going to use it on you.

                                  Emminent danger of lethal or serious physical injury.

                                  That Stand Your Ground scenerio isn't one. No eminence. The store owner had better

                                  have a security video camera in use....

                                  MLD WoodyM 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
                                    • 3k Posts
                                    • 197 Reputation
                                    Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    There is a clear legal distinction between "carrying" a firearm, and "brandishing" a firearm.

                                    As a CHP carrier, you're expected and permitted to respond accordingly. (Responding to the latter is permissible and considered self defense, responding to the former is against the law).

                                    Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • C calfoxwc

                                      You did a good job in the previous post, woody, except you drug that subject into a

                                      different subject ...again.

                                      But simply walking around with a hammer doesn't mean somebody is going to use it on you.

                                      Emminent danger of lethal or serious physical injury.

                                      That Stand Your Ground scenerio isn't one. No eminence. The store owner had better

                                      have a security video camera in use....

                                      MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                                      • 33k Posts
                                      • 3k Reputation
                                      MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @calfoxwc said:

                                      You did a good job in the previous post, woody, except you drug that subject into a

                                      different subject ...again.

                                      But simply walking around with a hammer doesn't mean somebody is going to use it on you.

                                      Emminent danger of lethal or serious physical injury.

                                      That Stand Your Ground scenerio isn't one. No eminence. The store owner had better

                                      have a security video camera in use....

                                      It was an analogy. Keep up.

                                      Hammers generally have other uses. Like, idk, hammering a nail. A gun pretty much just does one thing.

                                      Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                                      DieHardBrownsFanD W 2 Replies Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody

                                        @calfoxwc said:

                                        You did a good job in the previous post, woody, except you drug that subject into a

                                        different subject ...again.

                                        But simply walking around with a hammer doesn't mean somebody is going to use it on you.

                                        Emminent danger of lethal or serious physical injury.

                                        That Stand Your Ground scenerio isn't one. No eminence. The store owner had better

                                        have a security video camera in use....

                                        It was an analogy. Keep up.

                                        Hammers generally have other uses. Like, idk, hammering a nail. A gun pretty much just does one thing.

                                        DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                                        • 28k Posts
                                        • 6k Reputation
                                        DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @mld-woody said:

                                        It was an analogy. Keep up.

                                        Hammers generally have other uses. Like, idk, hammering a nail. A gun pretty much just does one thing.

                                        When do you start working? Summer vacation is over. Time for the adulthood to kick in.

                                        "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        👍
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                          • 64k Posts
                                          • 8k Reputation
                                          C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          ROF,LMAO !!!!

                                          One more reason why I don't drink at the computer anymore. New computer, new keyboard......

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate