Training Camp Battles (by position group): QB
-
I hope to go through all position groups before training camp, but I thought I'd start with the most controversial and the group with the least amount of players in it... the quarterbacks
4 QBs coming to training camp (for now). Here's how I see it:
Starting QB Battle - Brian Hoyer vs Johnny Manziel
I believe that if we draft a player in the 1st round, he should be able to beat out a former UDFA, career backup/3rd string QB... but... this is Hoyer's job to lose. If he keeps the starting job, it will only be because he trully stepped up his game, and has shown he can be the guy he was in those 2 games last year. I personally don't care who starts anymore week 1, I just hope Pettine puts in the guy who gives us the best chance to win.
Both players make the roster (obviously)
3rd string QB Battle - Tyler Thigpen vs Connor Shaw
Not sure how many repse these guys will get in camp, so I'm pretty sure Thigpen has the major advantage here, being that he is a veteran. I have no preference, but I will be interested to hear how Shaw is doing.
Eligible for Practice Squad - Johnny Manziel, Connor Shaw
My picks to make the roster:
QB1 - Brian Hoyer
QB2 - Johnny Manziel
QB3 - Tyler Thigpen
PS - Connor Shaw
Running backs will be next...
-
-
I agree with your assessment of it going Hoyer-Manzel -Thygpen holding down the 3rd string position, The fact that Shaw can be regulated to Practice squad will work against him in this situation...he can be developed.
-
Shaw probably wouldn't clear waivers.
-
I think Vince Young could win the starting gig.
-
No way Shaw clears waivers. It's a nice, tough situation to have.
Browns got DEPTH !
-
Shaw probably only makes the PS if he sucks it up in camp. Otherwise probably wouldn't clear waivers and Browns would feel like they had to give him the nod at string 3.
-
-
Shaw probably only makes the PS if he sucks it up in camp. Otherwise probably wouldn't clear waivers and Browns would feel like they had to give him the nod at string 3.
Shaw probably only makes the PS if he sucks it up in camp. Otherwise probably wouldn't clear waivers and Browns would feel like they had to give him the nod at string 3.
+ Shaw probably will be making UFA rookie minimum, Thigpen is a multi year vet.. If the talent level is close, the $$$ factor makes it a no brainer who to keep.
=
-
A QB triumvirate of Hoyer, Manziel, & Shaw would have a nice upside, great competitive attitudes, & be fun to watch all around. Those are the 3 I would like to see, in the order the Coaches decide. I just feel real good about this Browns' Team. I think that, given a little more experience, we could be looking at a dominant football team in the not too distance future.
Mike
-
I think Hoyer gets the start until he fucks up or gets injured.
-
I hope the guy who is the most productive and gives us the best chance to win is the guy who starts. At this point, I am not sure who that will be.
I do believe that there will be QB camps, though. Some will love Manziel and act like he is a god. Others will hate Manziel no matter what and mock anyone who wants JM to succeed. That is the last thing we need.
Screw the QB camps. Let it play out and let the better player play.
Right now, it's hard for me to say who is better. Here are a couple of things that I believe to be true. Emphasis on "believe," rather than be factually true.
Hoyer:
--Will do everything in his power to learn the playbook and not miss out on this opportunity.
--Probably has the support of many of his teammates.
--Gets rid of the ball quick. Helps OL and WRs.
--How much is his injury holding him back? Is he ready for full scale contact? Is his leg strong enough to plant and throw w/velocity? Could he avoid the rush if he has too? Could be issues here.
--Played well last year, but a 2 game sample is not enough to form an intelligent evaluation. Will defenses catch-up to him and exploit his weaknesses or will he continue to develop?
Manziel:
--Has more "it" than anyone around.
--Will he study enough or will his lifestyle get in the way?
--Has a ton of confidence.
--Makes plays out of nothing.
--Can he stay healthy?
--Will he become more disciplined and not expose himself to big hits?
--Has the ability to electrify his teammates, coaches, and even the entire Brown's nation.
It should be interesting to see it unfold. At this point, I don't care who starts. I just want the better QB to be the guy. I don't want Manziel to start just because he is a 1st round pick and Hoyer was a nobody. I don't want Hoyer to start just because they want to take is slow w/Manziel.
Just play the best guy.
-
I hope the guy who is the most productive and gives us the best chance to win is the guy who starts. At this point, I am not sure who that will be.
I do believe that there will be QB camps, though. Some will love Manziel and act like he is a god. Others will hate Manziel no matter what and mock anyone who wants JM to succeed. That is the last thing we need.
Screw the QB camps. Let it play out and let the better player play.
Right now, it's hard for me to say who is better. Here are a couple of things that I believe to be true. Emphasis on "believe," rather than be factually true.
Hoyer:
--Will do everything in his power to learn the playbook and not miss out on this opportunity.
--Probably has the support of many of his teammates.
--Gets rid of the ball quick. Helps OL and WRs.
--How much is his injury holding him back? Is he ready for full scale contact? Is his leg strong enough to plant and throw w/velocity? Could he avoid the rush if he has too? Could be issues here.
--Played well last year, but a 2 game sample is not enough to form an intelligent evaluation. Will defenses catch-up to him and exploit his weaknesses or will he continue to develop?
Manziel:
--Has more "it" than anyone around.
--Will he study enough or will his lifestyle get in the way?
--Has a ton of confidence.
--Makes plays out of nothing.
--Can he stay healthy?
--Will he become more disciplined and not expose himself to big hits?
--Has the ability to electrify his teammates, coaches, and even the entire Brown's nation.
It should be interesting to see it unfold. At this point, I don't care who starts. I just want the better QB to be the guy. I don't want Manziel to start just because he is a 1st round pick and Hoyer was a nobody. I don't want Hoyer to start just because they want to take is slow w/Manziel.
Just play the best guy.
-
-
I hope the guy who is the most productive and gives us the best chance to win is the guy who starts. At this point, I am not sure who that will be.
I do believe that there will be QB camps, though. Some will love Manziel and act like he is a god. Others will hate Manziel no matter what and mock anyone who wants JM to succeed. That is the last thing we need.
Screw the QB camps. Let it play out and let the better player play.
Right now, it's hard for me to say who is better. Here are a couple of things that I believe to be true. Emphasis on "believe," rather than be factually true.
Hoyer:
--Will do everything in his power to learn the playbook and not miss out on this opportunity.
--Probably has the support of many of his teammates.
--Gets rid of the ball quick. Helps OL and WRs.
--How much is his injury holding him back? Is he ready for full scale contact? Is his leg strong enough to plant and throw w/velocity? Could he avoid the rush if he has too? Could be issues here.
--Played well last year, but a 2 game sample is not enough to form an intelligent evaluation. Will defenses catch-up to him and exploit his weaknesses or will he continue to develop?
Manziel:
--Has more "it" than anyone around.
--Will he study enough or will his lifestyle get in the way?
--Has a ton of confidence.
--Makes plays out of nothing.
--Can he stay healthy?
--Will he become more disciplined and not expose himself to big hits?
--Has the ability to electrify his teammates, coaches, and even the entire Brown's nation.
It should be interesting to see it unfold. At this point, I don't care who starts. I just want the better QB to be the guy. I don't want Manziel to start just because he is a 1st round pick and Hoyer was a nobody. I don't want Hoyer to start just because they want to take is slow w/Manziel.
Just play the best guy.
I hope the guy who is the most productive and gives us the best chance to win is the guy who starts. At this point, I am not sure who that will be.
I do believe that there will be QB camps, though. Some will love Manziel and act like he is a god. Others will hate Manziel no matter what and mock anyone who wants JM to succeed. That is the last thing we need.
Screw the QB camps. Let it play out and let the better player play.
Right now, it's hard for me to say who is better. Here are a couple of things that I believe to be true. Emphasis on "believe," rather than be factually true.
Hoyer:
--Will do everything in his power to learn the playbook and not miss out on this opportunity.
--Probably has the support of many of his teammates.
--Gets rid of the ball quick. Helps OL and WRs.
--How much is his injury holding him back? Is he ready for full scale contact? Is his leg strong enough to plant and throw w/velocity? Could he avoid the rush if he has too? Could be issues here.
--Played well last year, but a 2 game sample is not enough to form an intelligent evaluation. Will defenses catch-up to him and exploit his weaknesses or will he continue to develop?
Manziel:
--Has more "it" than anyone around.
--Will he study enough or will his lifestyle get in the way?
--Has a ton of confidence.
--Makes plays out of nothing.
--Can he stay healthy?
--Will he become more disciplined and not expose himself to big hits?
--Has the ability to electrify his teammates, coaches, and even the entire Brown's nation.
It should be interesting to see it unfold. At this point, I don't care who starts. I just want the better QB to be the guy. I don't want Manziel to start just because he is a 1st round pick and Hoyer was a nobody. I don't want Hoyer to start just because they want to take is slow w/Manziel.
Just play the best guy.
Thank you for the most logical post I've seen regarding these 2 QBs. Personally, I am confident in this coaching staff & front office & believe that they will play the best guy.
Mike
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login