Skip to content

RIP Chuck Noll

The Browns Board
32 17 1.5k
  • RIP. He was born in Cleveland and went to Benedictine High School.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    RIP. He was born in Cleveland and went to Benedictine High School.

    As did I. Our most famous alumni. RIP Chuck.

  • I've always felt Chuck Noll's greatest accomplishment was the 1984 season. When you have four future NFL Hall of Famers drafted in one draft class on the team - like those teams in the 70s - you expect to be successful. In 1984, there was next to NOBODY on that team. Mark Malone - who threw more picks than TDs that year - and rookie Louis Lipps, and a couple of over the hill dudes from the golden years who were still hanging around. Yet, that team went 9-7, going 2-0 its last two regular season games, and won the division. They clinched the division last game of the season on the road against the defending Super Bowl champion Raiders. Then they beat Denver on the road in the divisional round of the playoffs, and made the AFC championship game. Talent-wise, that team had no business being in the AFC Championship game - but there they were. That is good coaching. Despite the poor quarterbacking, John Stallworth managed to rise to the occasion after two previous years of injuries and poor performance to have the best season of his career, racking up almost 1,400 receiving yards - and that was with Malone splitting time with Woodley at quarterback. Contrast that to the great receiving year Josh Gordon had last year with poor/split quarterbacking. We went 4-12. The Steelers in '84 sniffed the Super Bowl. The difference? Chuck Noll. RIP.

  • I'd like to add that the AFC West in 1984 might well have been the deepest division in the history of the NFL. Denver was 13-3. Seattle 12-4. Raiders 11-5. Chiefs 8-8 San Diego 7-9. They all played each other twice; nobody was weak. Chuck Noll chewed up the AFC West to claw his way into the AFC Championship game - both times on the road. That is SERIOUSLY fucking impressive.

  • 58T-Noll.jpg

  • I have always hated the stoolers and I always will.

    But I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll

    RIP SIR

    @browns149 said:

    I have always hated the stoolers and I always will.

    But I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll

    RIP SIR

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney

    ...and Dan Rooney

    ...and the Steelers front office

    ...and Mike Webster

    ...and Jack Ham

    ...and Rocky Blier

    ...and John Stallworth

    ...and Joe Greene

    ...and Lynn Swann

    ...and Dick Lebeau

    ...and Heath Miller

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.)

    ...and Troy Polamalu

    ...and Rod Woodson

    ...and Jerome Bettis

    ...and Dermontti Dawson

    ...and Terry Bradshaw

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate)

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher)

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol)

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

  • @browns149 said:

    I have always hated the stoolers and I always will.

    But I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll

    RIP SIR

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney

    ...and Dan Rooney

    ...and the Steelers front office

    ...and Mike Webster

    ...and Jack Ham

    ...and Rocky Blier

    ...and John Stallworth

    ...and Joe Greene

    ...and Lynn Swann

    ...and Dick Lebeau

    ...and Heath Miller

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.)

    ...and Troy Polamalu

    ...and Rod Woodson

    ...and Jerome Bettis

    ...and Dermontti Dawson

    ...and Terry Bradshaw

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate)

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher)

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol)

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

    @stewy said:

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney

    ...and Dan Rooney

    ...and the Steelers front office

    ...and Mike Webster

    ...and Jack Ham

    ...and Rocky Blier

    ...and John Stallworth

    ...and Joe Greene

    ...and Lynn Swann

    ...and Dick Lebeau

    ...and Heath Miller

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.)

    ...and Troy Polamalu

    ...and Rod Woodson

    ...and Jerome Bettis

    ...and Dermontti Dawson

    ...and Terry Bradshaw

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate)

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher)

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol)

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

    Chuck Noll was first and foremost a Cleveland Brown.

    He died a proud Cleveland Brown.

    Your list is a bunch of drug users, idiots and douchebags.

    Zombo

  • @browns149 said:

    I have always hated the stoolers and I always will.

    But I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll

    RIP SIR

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney

    ...and Dan Rooney

    ...and the Steelers front office

    ...and Mike Webster

    ...and Jack Ham

    ...and Rocky Blier

    ...and John Stallworth

    ...and Joe Greene

    ...and Lynn Swann

    ...and Dick Lebeau

    ...and Heath Miller

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.)

    ...and Troy Polamalu

    ...and Rod Woodson

    ...and Jerome Bettis

    ...and Dermontti Dawson

    ...and Terry Bradshaw

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate)

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher)

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol)

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

    @stewy said:

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney

    ...and Dan Rooney

    ...and the Steelers front office

    ...and Mike Webster

    ...and Jack Ham

    ...and Rocky Blier

    ...and John Stallworth

    ...and Joe Greene

    ...and Lynn Swann

    ...and Dick Lebeau

    ...and Heath Miller

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.)

    ...and Troy Polamalu

    ...and Rod Woodson

    ...and Jerome Bettis

    ...and Dermontti Dawson

    ...and Terry Bradshaw

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate)

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher)

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol)

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

    Kiss my ass.

  • I've always felt Chuck Noll's greatest accomplishment was the 1984 season. When you have four future NFL Hall of Famers drafted in one draft class on the team - like those teams in the 70s - you expect to be successful. In 1984, there was next to NOBODY on that team. Mark Malone - who threw more picks than TDs that year - and rookie Louis Lipps, and a couple of over the hill dudes from the golden years who were still hanging around. Yet, that team went 9-7, going 2-0 its last two regular season games, and won the division. They clinched the division last game of the season on the road against the defending Super Bowl champion Raiders. Then they beat Denver on the road in the divisional round of the playoffs, and made the AFC championship game. Talent-wise, that team had no business being in the AFC Championship game - but there they were. That is good coaching. Despite the poor quarterbacking, John Stallworth managed to rise to the occasion after two previous years of injuries and poor performance to have the best season of his career, racking up almost 1,400 receiving yards - and that was with Malone splitting time with Woodley at quarterback. Contrast that to the great receiving year Josh Gordon had last year with poor/split quarterbacking. We went 4-12. The Steelers in '84 sniffed the Super Bowl. The difference? Chuck Noll. RIP.

    @onkyoreceiver said:

    I've always felt Chuck Noll's greatest accomplishment was the 1984 season. When you have four future NFL Hall of Famers drafted in one draft class on the team - like those teams in the 70s - you expect to be successful. In 1984, there was next to NOBODY on that team. Mark Malone - who threw more picks than TDs that year - and rookie Louis Lipps, and a couple of over the hill dudes from the golden years who were still hanging around. Yet, that team went 9-7, going 2-0 its last two regular season games, and won the division. They clinched the division last game of the season on the road against the defending Super Bowl champion Raiders. Then they beat Denver on the road in the divisional round of the playoffs, and made the AFC championship game. Talent-wise, that team had no business being in the AFC Championship game - but there they were. That is good coaching. Despite the poor quarterbacking, John Stallworth managed to rise to the occasion after two previous years of injuries and poor performance to have the best season of his career, racking up almost 1,400 receiving yards - and that was with Malone splitting time with Woodley at quarterback. Contrast that to the great receiving year Josh Gordon had last year with poor/split quarterbacking. We went 4-12. The Steelers in '84 sniffed the Super Bowl. The difference? Chuck Noll. RIP.

    Recall the 89 season, except this time the Steelers lost to Denver by a narrow margain.

    Had the Steelers won, they would have played the browns for the AFC Championship.

    Browns probably would have beaten the Steelers and advanced to their first Super Bowl.

    Recall they beat the Steelers that year in the opener 51-0...(althoug the Steelers beat the browns 6 or so games later proving 51-0 was a fluke)

    Maybe it was better to lose to Denver than to chance losing to the browns for the Super Bowl. Horrible thought.

  • Protege of Paul Brown having played and coached under PB. Always a no nonsense guy.

    Yes, supposedly he had great talent.....or...were they great because he coached them that way?

    I think a lot of the latter is true.

    He was a miracle worker. Turned around the worst franchise in the history of the league to make it the best team in the league for a long stretch.

    He was kind of Bill Belichick before Bill Belichick.

    Tough loss for the NFL and its fans.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, supposedly he had great talent.....or...were they great because he coached them that way?

    I think a lot of the latter is true.

    You couldn't be more wrong...although an excellent coach, Chuck Noll himself said it isn't hard coaching 11 pro bowlers.

    Chuck Nolls "genius" was not in his coaching. It was in an area that is not politically correct to discuss these days.

  • @browns149 said:

    I have always hated the stoolers and I always will.

    But I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll

    RIP SIR

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney

    ...and Dan Rooney

    ...and the Steelers front office

    ...and Mike Webster

    ...and Jack Ham

    ...and Rocky Blier

    ...and John Stallworth

    ...and Joe Greene

    ...and Lynn Swann

    ...and Dick Lebeau

    ...and Heath Miller

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.)

    ...and Troy Polamalu

    ...and Rod Woodson

    ...and Jerome Bettis

    ...and Dermontti Dawson

    ...and Terry Bradshaw

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate)

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher)

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol)

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

    @stewy said:

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney ........ irish mafia boss

    ...and Dan Rooney ........ irish mafia boss

    ...and the Steelers front office....who?

    ...and Mike Webster.....steroid eating freak who committed suicide because it ate away his brains

    ...and Jack Ham...... closet homo

    ...and Rocky Blier.... war hero

    ...and John Stallworth...crackhead

    ...and Joe Greene...great player, dumb as a rock

    ...and Lynn Swann....another closet queef. if he was any sweeter he would have been walter payton.

    ...and Dick Lebeau...great defensive mind

    ...and Heath Miller....who???

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.) no respect from me. how's your team been since he took over w/o the all-stars that were handed to him?

    ...and Troy Polamalu.......really? the biggest gayest commercial on tv? really?

    ...and Rod Woodson.... awesome. deserves HOF status.

    ...and Jerome Bettis.... what TR was supposed to be for us. no hall of famer though.

    ...and Dermontti Dawson.... who?

    ...and Terry Bradshaw....a dumb hick but a great arm.

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate) grew under schottenheimer after playing for browns and put his knowledge towards making the steelers another SB winner.

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher) ultimate faggot that has/had to prove himself with cheap shots. fuck him til he dies.

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol) awesome. wish we had him back then. don't care if he was one of the dirtiest players ever.

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

    if the steelers were on a bus going off a cliff on fire i wouldn't waste an ounce of piss to help put the flames out.

    go fuck yourself, stooge.

  • Don't let a trolling Steeler fan throw this respectful post off.

    RIP Coach Noll.

  • @onkyoreceiver said:

    I've always felt Chuck Noll's greatest accomplishment was the 1984 season. When you have four future NFL Hall of Famers drafted in one draft class on the team - like those teams in the 70s - you expect to be successful. In 1984, there was next to NOBODY on that team. Mark Malone - who threw more picks than TDs that year - and rookie Louis Lipps, and a couple of over the hill dudes from the golden years who were still hanging around. Yet, that team went 9-7, going 2-0 its last two regular season games, and won the division. They clinched the division last game of the season on the road against the defending Super Bowl champion Raiders. Then they beat Denver on the road in the divisional round of the playoffs, and made the AFC championship game. Talent-wise, that team had no business being in the AFC Championship game - but there they were. That is good coaching. Despite the poor quarterbacking, John Stallworth managed to rise to the occasion after two previous years of injuries and poor performance to have the best season of his career, racking up almost 1,400 receiving yards - and that was with Malone splitting time with Woodley at quarterback. Contrast that to the great receiving year Josh Gordon had last year with poor/split quarterbacking. We went 4-12. The Steelers in '84 sniffed the Super Bowl. The difference? Chuck Noll. RIP.

    Recall the 89 season, except this time the Steelers lost to Denver by a narrow margain.

    Had the Steelers won, they would have played the browns for the AFC Championship.

    Browns probably would have beaten the Steelers and advanced to their first Super Bowl.

    Recall they beat the Steelers that year in the opener 51-0...(althoug the Steelers beat the browns 6 or so games later proving 51-0 was a fluke)

    Maybe it was better to lose to Denver than to chance losing to the browns for the Super Bowl. Horrible thought.

    @stewy said:

    Recall the 89 season, except this time the Steelers lost to Denver by a narrow margain.

    Had the Steelers won, they would have played the browns for the AFC Championship.

    Browns probably would have beaten the Steelers and advanced to their first Super Bowl.

    Recall they beat the Steelers that year in the opener 51-0...(althoug the Steelers beat the browns 6 or so games later proving 51-0 was a fluke)

    Maybe it was better to lose to Denver than to chance losing to the browns for the Super Bowl. Horrible thought.

    Yes, you are correct, That '89 team was another Noll team that totally overachieved. They started out 4-6 and then won 5 of 6 to close out the year and sneak into the playoffs. Their fist two games of the year they lost 51-0 to us, and 41-10 to the Bengals. To recover from that sort of start and make the playoffs is astounding.

  • @browns149 said:

    I have always hated the stoolers and I always will.

    But I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll

    RIP SIR

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney

    ...and Dan Rooney

    ...and the Steelers front office

    ...and Mike Webster

    ...and Jack Ham

    ...and Rocky Blier

    ...and John Stallworth

    ...and Joe Greene

    ...and Lynn Swann

    ...and Dick Lebeau

    ...and Heath Miller

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.)

    ...and Troy Polamalu

    ...and Rod Woodson

    ...and Jerome Bettis

    ...and Dermontti Dawson

    ...and Terry Bradshaw

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate)

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher)

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol)

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

    @stewy said:

    Lol...and how many times have I heard that before!?

    "I have always hated the Steelers but I have the utmost respect for Chuck Noll....

    ...and Art Rooney

    ...and Dan Rooney

    ...and the Steelers front office

    ...and Mike Webster

    ...and Jack Ham

    ...and Rocky Blier

    ...and John Stallworth

    ...and Joe Greene

    ...and Lynn Swann

    ...and Dick Lebeau

    ...and Heath Miller

    ...and Mike Tomlin...(gets "respect" from Browns fans, although I don't think he's that great.)

    ...and Troy Polamalu

    ...and Rod Woodson

    ...and Jerome Bettis

    ...and Dermontti Dawson

    ...and Terry Bradshaw

    ...and Bill Cowher (although a 50/50 respect or purely hate)

    ...and Hines Ward (same as with Cowher)

    ...and Jack Lambert (same as above because #58 would always pick on poor Brian Sipe lol)

    Those are the Steelers I recall that have gotten "respect" from browns fans.. (as if it really matters lol)

    Feel free to add other Steelers you respect.

    We respect all those guys.....it is Steeler fans who we have little respect for because they don't respect the fact that they have been fortunate to have all those guys play/coach for their team......They somehow think that they were responsible for the success of that team.....they weren't. They simply got to sit back and enjoy the ride.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, supposedly he had great talent.....or...were they great because he coached them that way?

    I think a lot of the latter is true.

    You couldn't be more wrong...although an excellent coach, Chuck Noll himself said it isn't hard coaching 11 pro bowlers.

    Chuck Nolls "genius" was not in his coaching. It was in an area that is not politically correct to discuss these days.

    @stewy said:

    You couldn't be more wrong...although an excellent coach, Chuck Noll himself said it isn't hard coaching 11 pro bowlers.

    By this statement you seem to be denigrating Noll's capability. Noll certainly would be self effacing and say that it is not hard to coach a team with a ton of Pro Bowlers on it and win.....but that is just his humility. I don't believe it is true at all. A lot of those guys were Pro Bowlers because he coached them. Had they been on another team, they may have faded away into obscurity. Hell, for all we know, if the Steelers had taken Mike Phipps at #1 overall instead of Bradshaw....it may have been Phipps in the HOF and not TB. TB may have been taken by the Browns and gone the way of Mike Phipps.

    Chuck Nolls "genius" was not in his coaching. It was in an area that is not politically correct to discuss these days.

    Well, you are free to be non-politically correct here. And please do so, as I truly don't know what you are referring to.

  • Remember Rommel was a damn fine general.

    Seriously rest in peace coach. We always respected you.

    WSS

  • RIP Chuck...

    You exemplified what Steeler football was,is and probably will be for years to come.

  • VesnaKociper said:

    Bednarik punched Noll in the jaw and knocked him out cold.

    So? Does that make you an advocate of sucker punches?

  • @stewy said:

    You couldn't be more wrong...although an excellent coach, Chuck Noll himself said it isn't hard coaching 11 pro bowlers.

    By this statement you seem to be denigrating Noll's capability. Noll certainly would be self effacing and say that it is not hard to coach a team with a ton of Pro Bowlers on it and win.....but that is just his humility. I don't believe it is true at all. A lot of those guys were Pro Bowlers because he coached them. Had they been on another team, they may have faded away into obscurity. Hell, for all we know, if the Steelers had taken Mike Phipps at #1 overall instead of Bradshaw....it may have been Phipps in the HOF and not TB. TB may have been taken by the Browns and gone the way of Mike Phipps.

    Chuck Nolls "genius" was not in his coaching. It was in an area that is not politically correct to discuss these days.

    Well, you are free to be non-politically correct here. And please do so, as I truly don't know what you are referring to.

    @the-gipper said:

    @stewy said:

    You couldn't be more wrong...although an excellent coach, Chuck Noll himself said it isn't hard coaching 11 pro bowlers.

    By this statement you seem to be denigrating Noll's capability. Noll certainly would be self effacing and say that it is not hard to coach a team with a ton of Pro Bowlers on it and win.....but that is just his humility. I don't believe it is true at all. A lot of those guys were Pro Bowlers because he coached them. Had they been on another team, they may have faded away into obscurity. Hell, for all we know, if the Steelers had taken Mike Phipps at #1 overall instead of Bradshaw....it may have been Phipps in the HOF and not TB. TB may have been taken by the Browns and gone the way of Mike Phipps.

    Chuck Nolls "genius" was not in his coaching. It was in an area that is not politically correct to discuss these days.

    Well, you are free to be non-politically correct here. And please do so, as I truly don't know what you are referring to.

    Has it ever occurred to you that Noll never won the NFL Coach of the Year Award, considering he "coached up" these players to win 4 Super Bowls?

    I wonder why he couldn't "coach up" his players in the 80's to win 4 more?

    ...and I'm certain Mean Joe, or Mel Blount or, Lambert would have been pro bowlers with the browns or any other team.

    OK...now for the PC thing...Noll loved the black player.

    From the article below...

    Much of the Steelers’ success in the 1970’s is due to players drafted from small black schools. The Steelers had this figured out before the rest of the league caught on. It was Noll who pushed hard for the team to draft John Stallworth, Mel Blount and L.C. Greenwood.

    Not only did he look at small black schools, Noll looked at black players from small schools period.

    Joe Green, Ernie Holmes, and others came from small schools not considered football powerhouses.

    The bottom line, and a hard pill for you political correctness freaks to swallow is that the Pittsburgh Steelers won because they were the first team in the NFL whos roster was majority black.

    That was Nolls genius my friend.

    Ok, now I'm forced to admit that I'm an old fuck..Back in the day, back home in Western Pa., in the early 70's i would hear bigots express their hatred toward the Steelers just because they had "too many fucking ni@@ers."...and wanted them to lose solely because of that...can't have them ni@@ers beating the white man at everything ya know.

    http://www.gamingtoday.com/articles/article/47748-Pittsburgh_Steelers_were_created_in_Chuck_Noll_s_image

    A little tidbit from WIKI...

    Noll's legacy includes providing opportunities for African Americans. Under Noll, Joe Gilliam became the league's first African American starting quarterback just a few seasons after the AFL started Marlin Briscoe, and James Harris . In 1975, Franco Harris became the first African American to win the Super Bowl MVP award. During the 1980s, Tony Dungy (who briefly played under Noll in the late 1970s) got his start as an NFL assistant coach, initially as the Steelers' Defensive Backs Coach.

    Proir to the 70's, there was an unwritten quota amongst NFL owners on how many blacks could be on an NFL teams roster...Jim Brown musta had a lot of fun running over and around of slow undersized white guys.

    I take that era with a grain of salt.

  • @the-gipper said:

    @stewy said:

    You couldn't be more wrong...although an excellent coach, Chuck Noll himself said it isn't hard coaching 11 pro bowlers.

    By this statement you seem to be denigrating Noll's capability. Noll certainly would be self effacing and say that it is not hard to coach a team with a ton of Pro Bowlers on it and win.....but that is just his humility. I don't believe it is true at all. A lot of those guys were Pro Bowlers because he coached them. Had they been on another team, they may have faded away into obscurity. Hell, for all we know, if the Steelers had taken Mike Phipps at #1 overall instead of Bradshaw....it may have been Phipps in the HOF and not TB. TB may have been taken by the Browns and gone the way of Mike Phipps.

    Chuck Nolls "genius" was not in his coaching. It was in an area that is not politically correct to discuss these days.

    Well, you are free to be non-politically correct here. And please do so, as I truly don't know what you are referring to.

    Has it ever occurred to you that Noll never won the NFL Coach of the Year Award, considering he "coached up" these players to win 4 Super Bowls?

    I wonder why he couldn't "coach up" his players in the 80's to win 4 more?

    ...and I'm certain Mean Joe, or Mel Blount or, Lambert would have been pro bowlers with the browns or any other team.

    OK...now for the PC thing...Noll loved the black player.

    From the article below...

    Much of the Steelers’ success in the 1970’s is due to players drafted from small black schools. The Steelers had this figured out before the rest of the league caught on. It was Noll who pushed hard for the team to draft John Stallworth, Mel Blount and L.C. Greenwood.

    Not only did he look at small black schools, Noll looked at black players from small schools period.

    Joe Green, Ernie Holmes, and others came from small schools not considered football powerhouses.

    The bottom line, and a hard pill for you political correctness freaks to swallow is that the Pittsburgh Steelers won because they were the first team in the NFL whos roster was majority black.

    That was Nolls genius my friend.

    Ok, now I'm forced to admit that I'm an old fuck..Back in the day, back home in Western Pa., in the early 70's i would hear bigots express their hatred toward the Steelers just because they had "too many fucking ni@@ers."...and wanted them to lose solely because of that...can't have them ni@@ers beating the white man at everything ya know.

    http://www.gamingtoday.com/articles/article/47748-Pittsburgh_Steelers_were_created_in_Chuck_Noll_s_image

    A little tidbit from WIKI...

    Noll's legacy includes providing opportunities for African Americans. Under Noll, Joe Gilliam became the league's first African American starting quarterback just a few seasons after the AFL started Marlin Briscoe, and James Harris . In 1975, Franco Harris became the first African American to win the Super Bowl MVP award. During the 1980s, Tony Dungy (who briefly played under Noll in the late 1970s) got his start as an NFL assistant coach, initially as the Steelers' Defensive Backs Coach.

    Proir to the 70's, there was an unwritten quota amongst NFL owners on how many blacks could be on an NFL teams roster...Jim Brown musta had a lot of fun running over and around of slow undersized white guys.

    I take that era with a grain of salt.

    @stewy said:

    I wonder why he couldn't "coach up" his players in the 80's to win 4 more?

    I'll give you a clue, they were no longer the only team using steroids.

  • @the-gipper said:

    @stewy said:

    You couldn't be more wrong...although an excellent coach, Chuck Noll himself said it isn't hard coaching 11 pro bowlers.

    By this statement you seem to be denigrating Noll's capability. Noll certainly would be self effacing and say that it is not hard to coach a team with a ton of Pro Bowlers on it and win.....but that is just his humility. I don't believe it is true at all. A lot of those guys were Pro Bowlers because he coached them. Had they been on another team, they may have faded away into obscurity. Hell, for all we know, if the Steelers had taken Mike Phipps at #1 overall instead of Bradshaw....it may have been Phipps in the HOF and not TB. TB may have been taken by the Browns and gone the way of Mike Phipps.

    Chuck Nolls "genius" was not in his coaching. It was in an area that is not politically correct to discuss these days.

    Well, you are free to be non-politically correct here. And please do so, as I truly don't know what you are referring to.

    Has it ever occurred to you that Noll never won the NFL Coach of the Year Award, considering he "coached up" these players to win 4 Super Bowls?

    I wonder why he couldn't "coach up" his players in the 80's to win 4 more?

    ...and I'm certain Mean Joe, or Mel Blount or, Lambert would have been pro bowlers with the browns or any other team.

    OK...now for the PC thing...Noll loved the black player.

    From the article below...

    Much of the Steelers’ success in the 1970’s is due to players drafted from small black schools. The Steelers had this figured out before the rest of the league caught on. It was Noll who pushed hard for the team to draft John Stallworth, Mel Blount and L.C. Greenwood.

    Not only did he look at small black schools, Noll looked at black players from small schools period.

    Joe Green, Ernie Holmes, and others came from small schools not considered football powerhouses.

    The bottom line, and a hard pill for you political correctness freaks to swallow is that the Pittsburgh Steelers won because they were the first team in the NFL whos roster was majority black.

    That was Nolls genius my friend.

    Ok, now I'm forced to admit that I'm an old fuck..Back in the day, back home in Western Pa., in the early 70's i would hear bigots express their hatred toward the Steelers just because they had "too many fucking ni@@ers."...and wanted them to lose solely because of that...can't have them ni@@ers beating the white man at everything ya know.

    http://www.gamingtoday.com/articles/article/47748-Pittsburgh_Steelers_were_created_in_Chuck_Noll_s_image

    A little tidbit from WIKI...

    Noll's legacy includes providing opportunities for African Americans. Under Noll, Joe Gilliam became the league's first African American starting quarterback just a few seasons after the AFL started Marlin Briscoe, and James Harris . In 1975, Franco Harris became the first African American to win the Super Bowl MVP award. During the 1980s, Tony Dungy (who briefly played under Noll in the late 1970s) got his start as an NFL assistant coach, initially as the Steelers' Defensive Backs Coach.

    Proir to the 70's, there was an unwritten quota amongst NFL owners on how many blacks could be on an NFL teams roster...Jim Brown musta had a lot of fun running over and around of slow undersized white guys.

    I take that era with a grain of salt.

    @stewy said:

    Has it ever occurred to you that Noll never won the NFL Coach of the Year Award, considering he "coached up" these players to win 4 Super Bowls?

    I wonder why he couldn't "coach up" his players in the 80's to win 4 more?

    ...and I'm certain Mean Joe, or Mel Blount or, Lambert would have been pro bowlers with the browns or any other team.

    Well, certainly Noll had better players in the 70s than in the 80s....but he did actually make a few playoff appearances with that chicken shit that he turned into chicken salad.

    But hell, if you, as a Steeler fan want to state that Chuck Noll was not that good of a coach...well, I find it surprising.....and look at me, the Browns fan defending the Steeler HC against the Steeler fan.

    OK...now for the PC thing...Noll loved the black player.

    Well, he got that from Paul Brown who brought in black players into the Browns in the AAFC when no one in the NFL would do it. It was partially a factor in why the Browns dominated. Noll was smart, he knew where talent could be found.

    From the article below...

    Much of the Steelers’ success in the 1970’s is due to players drafted from small black schools. The Steelers had this figured out before the rest of the league caught on. It was Noll who pushed hard for the team to draft John Stallworth, Mel Blount and L.C. Greenwood.

    Not only did he look at small black schools, Noll looked at black players from small schools period.

    Joe Green, Ernie Holmes, and others came from small schools not considered football powerhouses.

    The bottom line, and a hard pill for you political correctness freaks to swallow is that the Pittsburgh Steelers won because they were the first team in the NFL whos roster was majority black.

    That was Nolls genius my friend.

    I don't know that it was just putting many black players on the team that was genius...it was putting the right black players on the team....and coaching those guys from small schools up to the top level they reached. And honestly, I don't really think the Steelers were the first team to have a majority of black players on their team....the Browns had a large contingent on their squads in the 60s.

    Ok, now I'm forced to admit that I'm an old fuck..Back in the day, back home in Western Pa., in the early 70's i would hear bigots express their hatred toward the Steelers just because they had "too many fucking ni@@ers."...and wanted them to lose solely because of that...can't have them ni@@ers beating the white man at everything ya know.

    I don't recall that being a sentiment expressed around here...at all.

    http://www.gamingtoday.com/articles/article/47748-Pittsburgh_Steelers_were_created_in_Chuck_Noll_s_image

    A little tidbit from WIKI...

    Noll's legacy includes providing opportunities for African Americans. Under Noll, Joe Gilliam became the league's first African American starting quarterback just a few seasons after the AFL started Marlin Briscoe, and James Harris . In 1975, Franco Harris became the first African American to win the Super Bowl MVP award. During the 1980s, Tony Dungy (who briefly played under Noll in the late 1970s) got his start as an NFL assistant coach, initially as the Steelers' Defensive Backs Coach.

    The Akron Pros (again, another Northeast Ohio team) in the 1920s had a few black players on that team....most notably Fritz Pollard.

    Proir to the 70's, there was an unwritten quota amongst NFL owners on how many blacks could be on an NFL teams roster...Jim Brown musta had a lot of fun running over and around of slow undersized white guys.

    I take that era with a grain of salt.

    Except that the Browns did NOT acquiesce to any such quota. I guess I would have to go back and review the roster but they had many, many black players on the team.