Skip to content

Hello! UK Football (soccer) Fan Looking For Help!

Barber Shop Talk
17 10 872
  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #8

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Cleveland was to have gotten an expansion MLS team before Bart Wolstein died. See this article on overall MLS expansion:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_Major_League_Soccer

    Sure, it seems like Cleveland may be dead in the water there....but as noted, the prime factor in getting expansion is having an interested, viable owner, and a stadium plan.

    Lerner would be the ticket there....if he still really wants to be involved. Finding a spot for a stadium would be no problem, and FYI, the Browns stadium proved entirely adequate to host soccer when an exhibition match was held here.

  • HowieDawgH HowieDawg wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Wow, Zombo was gentle on this guy, I think is is getting soft in his old age. I bet Horseballs would not be so kind.

  • Wow, Zombo was gentle on this guy, I think is is getting soft in his old age. I bet Horseballs would not be so kind.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @howiedawg said:

    Wow, Zombo was gentle on this guy, I think is is getting soft in his old age. I bet Horseballs would not be so kind.

    When it comes to Randy Lerner bashing, yes, Zombo is the post Christmas Grinch.

  • Firstly, UTV. RL brought me to the Browns as well - it's a good time to get on board, things are just about looking up! At the risk of turning this in to a soccer thread (I've been here long enough I keep calling it soccer automatically), I'm not sold on either Senderos or Cole, but waiting to see. Hopefully Benteke comes back as strong as before, and Okore can form a solid partnership with Vlaar. Saw also that N'Zogbia and Kozak are back in training too, and the 'bomb squad' are back in - Hutton surely won't get a game though?

    Now, on to the matter at hand, I see similarities like yourself between the two teams, or at least I did until last season. Randy sold up to Jimmy Haslam, a guy who seems to want only the best things for the club, isn't getting too involved iin the day to day running of the team, but can be ruthless when needed. He seems to generally be a decent guy, apart from the obligatory federal investigation...

    Once Randy had made up his mind to sell the Browns, which some people would argue happened years ago, he seemed to lose interest, although it's debatable how much interest he had in the first place - he inherited the Browns, he bought the villa.

    It's difficult to asset strip an NFL club. You can't sell players, you can only release them or trade them for other players/draft picks, so it's not like he could sell the top stars and pocket the cash.

    B blowe wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @gftchris said:

    Firstly, UTV. RL brought me to the Browns as well - it's a good time to get on board, things are just about looking up! At the risk of turning this in to a soccer thread (I've been here long enough I keep calling it soccer automatically), I'm not sold on either Senderos or Cole, but waiting to see. Hopefully Benteke comes back as strong as before, and Okore can form a solid partnership with Vlaar. Saw also that N'Zogbia and Kozak are back in training too, and the 'bomb squad' are back in - Hutton surely won't get a game though?

    You can call it football again when your country wins more world cup games than the United States! haha

  • @gftchris said:

    Firstly, UTV. RL brought me to the Browns as well - it's a good time to get on board, things are just about looking up! At the risk of turning this in to a soccer thread (I've been here long enough I keep calling it soccer automatically), I'm not sold on either Senderos or Cole, but waiting to see. Hopefully Benteke comes back as strong as before, and Okore can form a solid partnership with Vlaar. Saw also that N'Zogbia and Kozak are back in training too, and the 'bomb squad' are back in - Hutton surely won't get a game though?

    You can call it football again when your country wins more world cup games than the United States! haha

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @blowe said:

    You can call it football again when your country wins more world cup games than the United States! haha

    That obligates him for the next 4 years at least

  • Wow, Zombo was gentle on this guy, I think is is getting soft in his old age. I bet Horseballs would not be so kind.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @howiedawg said:

    Wow, Zombo was gentle on this guy, I think is is getting soft in his old age. I bet Horseballs would not be so kind.

    I think he's mellowed after the World Cup. At least the USA didn't get humiliated by the Germans like Brazil did. 🙂

  • @howiedawg said:

    Wow, Zombo was gentle on this guy, I think is is getting soft in his old age. I bet Horseballs would not be so kind.

    I think he's mellowed after the World Cup. At least the USA didn't get humiliated by the Germans like Brazil did. 🙂

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @hoorta said:

    I think he's mellowed after the World Cup. At least the USA didn't get humiliated by the Germans like Brazil did. 🙂

    suicide hotlines were ring off the hook. i guess when you're whole country's athletic hopes and dreams go out the window in one 45 minute period people start considering teetering on the edge of a building top.

    brazil needs to learn how to embrace other sports besides 'kick the ball' and 'dress like woman'.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Any chance of Vassell coming in as punt returner....

  • Any chance of Vassell coming in as punt returner....

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @londonbrown said:

    Any chance of Vassell coming in as punt returner....

    With Ugo Ehiogu and John Carew at DEs?