Skip to content

Greatest Guitar Riffs

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
152 16 6.3k
  • and usually I write in my head then pick up the guitar since its handy and start putting the chords where I heard them.

    I don't have the piano in the living room anymore but 1 of these days I will have a digital with weighted keys to play while I'm upstairs. I do have one in the studio. Sometimes the song I hear in my head is a piano song so I go work on it there.

    but again I'm a vocalist who plays enough piano and guitar to hack through what needs to be done.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    and usually I write in my head then pick up the guitar since its handy and start putting the chords where I heard them.

    I don't have the piano in the living room anymore but 1 of these days I will have a digital with weighted keys to play while I'm upstairs. I do have one in the studio. Sometimes the song I hear in my head is a piano song so I go work on it there.

    but again I'm a vocalist who plays enough piano and guitar to hack through what needs to be done.

    WSS

    By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! 😁 See you then if not before.

  • @westside-steve said:

    and usually I write in my head then pick up the guitar since its handy and start putting the chords where I heard them.

    I don't have the piano in the living room anymore but 1 of these days I will have a digital with weighted keys to play while I'm upstairs. I do have one in the studio. Sometimes the song I hear in my head is a piano song so I go work on it there.

    but again I'm a vocalist who plays enough piano and guitar to hack through what needs to be done.

    WSS

    By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! 😁 See you then if not before.

    @the-gipper said:

    By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! 😁 See you then if not before.

    Great.

    Maybe the Philip Seymour Hoffman flick tomorrow?

  • @the-gipper said:

    By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! 😁 See you then if not before.

    Great.

    Maybe the Philip Seymour Hoffman flick tomorrow?

    @westside-steve said:

    Great.

    Maybe the Philip Seymour Hoffman flick tomorrow?

    It would have to be later in the day....4:00ish.

  • Page is no Malmsteen but he's written/co wrote more classics. John Paul Jones did almost all the arranging.

    There's an old joke in guitarist circles..

    How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

    Six, one to actually do it and five to stand around and say "PPPHHHTTT!!! I could've done that shit better" 😁

    As a guitarist,, I TRY to remember to NOT think in terms of impressing other guitarists when I write. If you do that i think you are fucking up. And that's probably why the BEST riffs of all time are extremely simple riffs that you don't have to be well versed in modal theory to understand and feel..

  • Jimmy Hendrix rocks! Nobody can play a guitar like him!

  • Meh on hendrix. I've never liked his stuff or been that impressed by him. I can't think of one hendrix tune that I hear and have to crank it up. Maybe "let me stand next to your fire"

  • Jimmy Hendrix rocks! Nobody can play a guitar like him!

    @jppt1974 said:

    Jimmy Hendrix rocks! Nobody can play a guitar like him!

    Agree!

  • To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

  • To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

    @nickers said:

    To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

    yes I think that's exactly right. I mean you can tell if somebody is sloppy and not very technically proficient from somebody who's precise but still there are a lot of guys who are fast and sharp. Hard to tell if one is better than the other. There's no real objective test. Kind of like who's the best athlete?

    WSS

  • i haven't even tapped into a umpteenth of music that is out there, meanwhile my collection of bands and musicians that 'no one' (my friends) have ever heard of scares most people.

    something about jeff beck that i always turn to when someone says technical....i mean it seems like the guitar is an extension of his natural body, maybe vai too.

    another great finger picker is/was mark knoppfler. when sultans of swing came out i was pretty floored.

    brian may used to play with a coin instead of a pick, which i guess gave the guitar a different sound.

    interesting stuff here.

  • They great thing about Jeff Beck is.. theres no gimmick.. It's all pure tone that comes from his fingers..If your a good player...It really doesnt matter what you play through (amp wise) . Your natural finger print will shine through.

  • How about Alvin Lee on I'm going home when he played at woodstock. Roy Clark was great too!

  • When I think of riffs i think of:

    Satisfaction

    Smoke on the Water

    Money for nothing

    Sweet child o mine.

    Thats a pretty good Mount Rushmore of Riffs.

    Z

  • Born to be Wild

    Working Man

    Crazy Train

    Hall of the Mountain King..

    Mr Scary

    Back IN FUCKING BLACK!!!!

  • Golden Earring then had several great riffs then, including 3-4 songs from the Radar Love album.

    Then, also going by all y'alls definition of riffs, Simple Sister by Procul Harum had two of the best contained in the same song:

  • Good call Gipper. I think that was the broken barricades album. Robin Trower last one and they gave him what's more songs that he ever did before.

    WSS

  • Let's not forget Steel Panther headbang.gif

    😁

  • Good call Gipper. I think that was the broken barricades album. Robin Trower last one and they gave him what's more songs that he ever did before.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Good call Gipper. I think that was the broken barricades album. Robin Trower last one and they gave him what's more songs that he ever did before.

    WSS

    The first "riff" has got to up there with like Smoke on the Water for simplicity and effect. The second riff could be a TV show theme song.

  • Lest we forget the opening guitar hook on aqualung.

    WSS

  • Billy-Idol-Mountain-Winery-11.jpg

    steve stevens is a bad man