Skip to content

Greatest Guitar Riffs

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
152 16 6.3k
  • To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

    @nickers said:

    To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

    yes I think that's exactly right. I mean you can tell if somebody is sloppy and not very technically proficient from somebody who's precise but still there are a lot of guys who are fast and sharp. Hard to tell if one is better than the other. There's no real objective test. Kind of like who's the best athlete?

    WSS

  • i haven't even tapped into a umpteenth of music that is out there, meanwhile my collection of bands and musicians that 'no one' (my friends) have ever heard of scares most people.

    something about jeff beck that i always turn to when someone says technical....i mean it seems like the guitar is an extension of his natural body, maybe vai too.

    another great finger picker is/was mark knoppfler. when sultans of swing came out i was pretty floored.

    brian may used to play with a coin instead of a pick, which i guess gave the guitar a different sound.

    interesting stuff here.

  • They great thing about Jeff Beck is.. theres no gimmick.. It's all pure tone that comes from his fingers..If your a good player...It really doesnt matter what you play through (amp wise) . Your natural finger print will shine through.

  • How about Alvin Lee on I'm going home when he played at woodstock. Roy Clark was great too!

  • When I think of riffs i think of:

    Satisfaction

    Smoke on the Water

    Money for nothing

    Sweet child o mine.

    Thats a pretty good Mount Rushmore of Riffs.

    Z

  • Born to be Wild

    Working Man

    Crazy Train

    Hall of the Mountain King..

    Mr Scary

    Back IN FUCKING BLACK!!!!

  • Golden Earring then had several great riffs then, including 3-4 songs from the Radar Love album.

    Then, also going by all y'alls definition of riffs, Simple Sister by Procul Harum had two of the best contained in the same song:

  • Good call Gipper. I think that was the broken barricades album. Robin Trower last one and they gave him what's more songs that he ever did before.

    WSS

  • Let's not forget Steel Panther headbang.gif

    😁

  • Good call Gipper. I think that was the broken barricades album. Robin Trower last one and they gave him what's more songs that he ever did before.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Good call Gipper. I think that was the broken barricades album. Robin Trower last one and they gave him what's more songs that he ever did before.

    WSS

    The first "riff" has got to up there with like Smoke on the Water for simplicity and effect. The second riff could be a TV show theme song.

  • Lest we forget the opening guitar hook on aqualung.

    WSS

  • Billy-Idol-Mountain-Winery-11.jpg

    steve stevens is a bad man

  • Billy-Idol-Mountain-Winery-11.jpg

    steve stevens is a bad man

    @slowburn said:

    steve stevens is a bad man

    Indeed he is 1306.gif

    Some of his best work was on Vince Neil's solo cd "Exposed"

  • Back to the "RIFF" thing.

    this is one of my favorite riffs. As soon as it comes on I turn it way up

  • Wolf Hoffman has written some awesome riffs..

  • I just flat out love this band

  • I guess that White Stripes song they play everywhere would have to be considered one of the top known recent riffs, no? Seven Nation Army?

  • The a fore mentioned Mr Hoffman

    Before someone brings up Hanson or Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche in a "Greatest Guitar Riffs" thread hand.gif

  • The good thing about music is its subjective and you can never be wrong. What Axe just put up raped my ear holes and you could not pay me to listen to it again. But to him it's great and who the f am I to say different?

  • Yeah, well, seeing how we're being all subjective and no one can be wrong..

    What you posted epitomizes the pussification of America imo..

    If someone asked me to listen to it again I'd tell them that before I would, I'd slap the dick taste so far out of their mouth that it would be late next week before they could enjoy it again.. But hey!! To you it's great ! 😵

    Just being subjective and all.. No one can be wrong,, right 😉

    Now maybe,, before you decide to get all snarky again under the guise of subjectivity and insult some one else's appreciation of good taste on anything, perhaps you'll remember...

    c'est la vie

    or

    Pura vida