Skip to content

Greatest Guitar Riffs

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
152 16 6.3k
  • yeah it's not a listing of great guitar players it's a listing of great guitar hooks. Yet they neglected Wally Bryson's opening on go all the way.

    WSS

  • I don't know that. Every one knows money for nothing. That gets my vote. I turn it up every single time.

  • Hadn't heard of go all the way, but that opening seems to fit exactly the criteria for this list.

  • My Top Ten from that list, in no particular order:

    All Right Now, Free

    Satisfaction, Stones

    Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry

    Layla, Derek and the Dominos

    Miserlou, Dick Dale

    Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison

    Smoke On the Water, Deep Purple

    Sweet Home Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd

    Sharp Dressed Man, ZZ Top

    You Really Got Me, The Kinks

    Given a little time to think, I might say that there are others that I would put in there instead.

    Also....correct me if I am wrong, but the notable hook from the Seven Nations Army song is really more of a bass line than an guitar riff...isn't it?

  • Smoke on the water is deep purple.

  • Some others not on the list:

    When Doves Cry, Prince

    Revolution, Beatles

    Freebird, Skynyrd

    Hotel California, Eagles

    Billion Dollar Babies, Alice Cooper

  • No there is a bass line but seven nation army is a straight power chord riff. It's well known but wouldn't make my top ten.

  • I don't know that free bird has a particularly notable riff. Solos sure.

  • Jimi hendrix is widely regarded as the best but like Muhammed Ali it's a reputation thing. I feel like many have eclipsed him and I'll be honest I don't really like any Jimi hendrix songs all that much.

  • I don't know that free bird has a particularly notable riff. Solos sure.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I don't know that free bird has a particularly notable riff. Solos sure.

    Are you fucking kidding me? What difference does it make if it is a solo or not?

    Was this list just limited to song intro riffs? I don't think so.

  • A riff and a solo are two very different things gip.

  • Jimi hendrix is widely regarded as the best but like Muhammed Ali it's a reputation thing. I feel like many have eclipsed him and I'll be honest I don't really like any Jimi hendrix songs all that much.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Jimi hendrix is widely regarded as the best but like Muhammed Ali it's a reputation thing. I feel like many have eclipsed him and I'll be honest I don't really like any Jimi hendrix songs all that much.

    Pete Townshend and Eric Clapton say he is the best ever. Their opinions are good enough for me. (though I might agree that I am not that hot on his songs).

  • A riff is usually played somewhat repetitively, often as an intro and coming out of a chorus or a bridge. A solo is a solo.

  • A riff and a solo are two very different things gip.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    A riff and a solo are two very different things gip.

    Yea....one is a guy playing a guitar, and the other is a guy playing a guitar. Please explain what you think is the difference.

    Are you saying this category should be limited to only those parts played by the rhythm guitar?

  • Clapton and townshed have also been eclipsed. And frankly I'd put clapton above hendrix. I think he's selling himself short.

  • The riff is the underlying melody, if you like, of a song. The solo is the bit in the middle where the guy goes crazy. They can be the same tune, often they're not.

  • Think of the chain - the bass solo isn't something that's a recurring melody in the song, it's an iconic solo.

  • Layla has an iconic riff and an iconic solo.

  • yeah it's not a listing of great guitar players it's a listing of great guitar hooks. Yet they neglected Wally Bryson's opening on go all the way.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    yeah it's not a listing of great guitar players it's a listing of great guitar hooks. Yet they neglected Wally Bryson's opening on go all the way.

    WSS