Greatest Guitar Riffs
-
Jimi hendrix is widely regarded as the best but like Muhammed Ali it's a reputation thing. I feel like many have eclipsed him and I'll be honest I don't really like any Jimi hendrix songs all that much.
Jimi hendrix is widely regarded as the best but like Muhammed Ali it's a reputation thing. I feel like many have eclipsed him and I'll be honest I don't really like any Jimi hendrix songs all that much.
Pete Townshend and Eric Clapton say he is the best ever. Their opinions are good enough for me. (though I might agree that I am not that hot on his songs).
-
A riff is usually played somewhat repetitively, often as an intro and coming out of a chorus or a bridge. A solo is a solo.
-
A riff and a solo are two very different things gip.
A riff and a solo are two very different things gip.
Yea....one is a guy playing a guitar, and the other is a guy playing a guitar. Please explain what you think is the difference.
Are you saying this category should be limited to only those parts played by the rhythm guitar?
-
Clapton and townshed have also been eclipsed. And frankly I'd put clapton above hendrix. I think he's selling himself short.
-
The riff is the underlying melody, if you like, of a song. The solo is the bit in the middle where the guy goes crazy. They can be the same tune, often they're not.
-
Think of the chain - the bass solo isn't something that's a recurring melody in the song, it's an iconic solo.
-
Layla has an iconic riff and an iconic solo.
-
yeah it's not a listing of great guitar players it's a listing of great guitar hooks. Yet they neglected Wally Bryson's opening on go all the way.
WSS
yeah it's not a listing of great guitar players it's a listing of great guitar hooks. Yet they neglected Wally Bryson's opening on go all the way.
WSS
-
Clapton and townshed have also been eclipsed. And frankly I'd put clapton above hendrix. I think he's selling himself short.
Clapton and townshed have also been eclipsed. And frankly I'd put clapton above hendrix. I think he's selling himself short.
Bullshit, most of what I suspect that you think are people that have eclipsed them are merely people that mimic them.
Is there good new talent out there? Sure.. But your opinion smacks is tantamount to trying to say that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abe Lincoln have been been eclipsed. No fucking way.
-
Christ Gipper. Spare me the old "only old guys are good" crap, ok?
-
Muse I find are one of the better newer acts - I'm not sure if they ever made it big over there?
-
In terms of iconic riffs "smells like teen spirit" has to be considered.
-
He we are now, in containers...
-
And clapton specifically but the whole British invasion lot simply aped blues guitarists who came before them gipper.
-
My top ten rock guitar riffs:
Take It Off The Donnas
Fortunate Son CCR
Holy Diver DIO
Give It Away RHCP
Highway Star Deep Purple
Rebel Rebel Bowie
Ziggy Stardust Bowie
Breaking The Law Judas Priest
Man on Silver Mountain Rainbow
Working Man Rush
Rocking In The Free World Neil Young
-
Christ Gipper. Spare me the old "only old guys are good" crap, ok?
Christ Gipper. Spare me the old "only old guys are good" crap, ok?
No, it is "the Old guys are better" crap. Or at least spare me the "young guys are better" crap.
They aren't. No more than saying that a young QB is better than Otto Graham.
-
And clapton specifically but the whole British invasion lot simply aped blues guitarists who came before them gipper.
And clapton specifically but the whole British invasion lot simply aped blues guitarists who came before them gipper.
Some, sure. So?
-
So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?
-
I think guitar players over history have mastered certain chops and the great ones add to them. This happens generation after generation after generation.
WSS
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login