Greatest Guitar Riffs
-
Clapton and townshed have also been eclipsed. And frankly I'd put clapton above hendrix. I think he's selling himself short.
-
The riff is the underlying melody, if you like, of a song. The solo is the bit in the middle where the guy goes crazy. They can be the same tune, often they're not.
-
Think of the chain - the bass solo isn't something that's a recurring melody in the song, it's an iconic solo.
-
Layla has an iconic riff and an iconic solo.
-
yeah it's not a listing of great guitar players it's a listing of great guitar hooks. Yet they neglected Wally Bryson's opening on go all the way.
WSS
yeah it's not a listing of great guitar players it's a listing of great guitar hooks. Yet they neglected Wally Bryson's opening on go all the way.
WSS
-
Clapton and townshed have also been eclipsed. And frankly I'd put clapton above hendrix. I think he's selling himself short.
Clapton and townshed have also been eclipsed. And frankly I'd put clapton above hendrix. I think he's selling himself short.
Bullshit, most of what I suspect that you think are people that have eclipsed them are merely people that mimic them.
Is there good new talent out there? Sure.. But your opinion smacks is tantamount to trying to say that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abe Lincoln have been been eclipsed. No fucking way.
-
Christ Gipper. Spare me the old "only old guys are good" crap, ok?
-
Muse I find are one of the better newer acts - I'm not sure if they ever made it big over there?
-
In terms of iconic riffs "smells like teen spirit" has to be considered.
-
He we are now, in containers...
-
And clapton specifically but the whole British invasion lot simply aped blues guitarists who came before them gipper.
-
My top ten rock guitar riffs:
Take It Off The Donnas
Fortunate Son CCR
Holy Diver DIO
Give It Away RHCP
Highway Star Deep Purple
Rebel Rebel Bowie
Ziggy Stardust Bowie
Breaking The Law Judas Priest
Man on Silver Mountain Rainbow
Working Man Rush
Rocking In The Free World Neil Young
-
Christ Gipper. Spare me the old "only old guys are good" crap, ok?
Christ Gipper. Spare me the old "only old guys are good" crap, ok?
No, it is "the Old guys are better" crap. Or at least spare me the "young guys are better" crap.
They aren't. No more than saying that a young QB is better than Otto Graham.
-
And clapton specifically but the whole British invasion lot simply aped blues guitarists who came before them gipper.
And clapton specifically but the whole British invasion lot simply aped blues guitarists who came before them gipper.
Some, sure. So?
-
So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?
-
I think guitar players over history have mastered certain chops and the great ones add to them. This happens generation after generation after generation.
WSS
-
-
So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?
So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?
Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul
The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.
(but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).
-
So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?
Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul
The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.
(but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).
Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul
The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.
(but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).
I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.
We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.
WSS
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login