Skip to content

Greatest Guitar Riffs

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
152 16 6.3k
  • Tony Iommi should fill out the top 10 all by himself..

  • So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?

    Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

    The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

    (but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    So you're saying the guitarists of now are only mimicking clapton who himself mimicked Robert Johnson. So what is your point about that?

    Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

    The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

    (but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

    @the-gipper said:

    Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

    The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

    (but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

  • Here's something I find really unique and impressive. I've never seen anything like it before.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

    The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

    (but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    Maybe, but he would have to do it playing a Les Paul, no?

    Where you at?

  • Pretty cool.

    WSS

  • I'm back on the mainland. Just an f.y.i Les Paul had a big feud and lawsuit with Gibson over the guitar.

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

    The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

    (but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai.

    WSS

    How would you rank the following?

    Yngwie Malmsteen

    John Petrucci

    Steve Vai

    Joe Satriani

    Eric Johnson

  • @westside-steve said:

    Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai.

    WSS

    How would you rank the following?

    Yngwie Malmsteen

    John Petrucci

    Steve Vai

    Joe Satriani

    Eric Johnson

    @vaportrail said:

    How would you rank the following?

    Yngwie Malmsteen

    John Petrucci

    Steve Vai

    Joe Satriani

    Eric Johnson

    That's hard to do.

    those guys are all great. I'm not that familiar with Petrucci and I don't enjoy Satriani though I respect his ability. I love Eric Johnson and Yngwie but I don't think either is nearly as versatile Steve Vai.

    Lest we forget long riffs of precise 16th notes from the old master Chet Atkins... And you didn't mention any of the country guys though I'm not sure who's hot in Nashville these days.

    WSS

  • jeff beck

    joe bonamasso

    robin trower

    david gilmour

    stevie ray

    derek trucks

    buckethead

    steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

    steve lukather

    neil schonn

    i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

    a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

  • How about these guys:

    Andrs Segovia

    Julian Bream

    John Williams (not the composer)

    Christoper Parkening

    David Russell

  • Here is your riff:

  • I collect show dvds. Probably closing in on 200 now.

    Joe Bonamassa Live at Rockpalast is one of the best I own 😎

  • @the-gipper said:

    Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

    The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

    (but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

  • jeff beck

    joe bonamasso

    robin trower

    david gilmour

    stevie ray

    derek trucks

    buckethead

    steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

    steve lukather

    neil schonn

    i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

    a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

    @miktoxic said:

    jeff beck

    joe bonamasso

    robin trower

    david gilmour

    stevie ray

    derek trucks

    buckethead

    steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

    steve lukather

    neil schonn

    i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

    a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

    Steve Vai was 18

  • @westside-steve said:

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

    @nickers said:

    Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

    Oh well I guess I just don't agree with you.

    That's a weird thing about art as opposed to politics. Anybody's opinion can be right.

    And art usually doesn't fuck up our lives one way or the other. 😉

    WSS

  • How could I forget maybe the most iconic riff?

  • @miktoxic said:

    jeff beck

    joe bonamasso

    robin trower

    david gilmour

    stevie ray

    derek trucks

    buckethead

    steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

    steve lukather

    neil schonn

    i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

    a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

    Steve Vai was 18

    @nickers said:

    Steve Vai was 18

    and neil schonn started with santana when he was 'like 15'. lol.

  • @nickers said:

    Steve Vai was 18

    and neil schonn started with santana when he was 'like 15'. lol.

    @miktoxic said:

    and neil schonn started with santana when he was 'like 15'. lol.

    like wow. Like.