Skip to content

Greatest Guitar Riffs

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
152 16 6.3k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Robert Johnson, to my knowledge, never played an electic guitar. While I am sure RJ did wonders with an acoustic, you can't claim that he could make the same sounds come out of his Martin...or whatever as come out of a Les Paul

    The guys today are still playing the same electric guitars as Clapton/Townshend etc. And sure, the newer players have added some stuff.....but by no means have they "eclipsed" the legends.

    (but fyi, I have never been on who was all that impressed with merely guitar gymnastics. I always did prefer a good melody).

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

  • jeff beck

    joe bonamasso

    robin trower

    david gilmour

    stevie ray

    derek trucks

    buckethead

    steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

    steve lukather

    neil schonn

    i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

    a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

    @miktoxic said:

    jeff beck

    joe bonamasso

    robin trower

    david gilmour

    stevie ray

    derek trucks

    buckethead

    steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

    steve lukather

    neil schonn

    i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

    a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

    Steve Vai was 18

  • @westside-steve said:

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

    @nickers said:

    Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

    Oh well I guess I just don't agree with you.

    That's a weird thing about art as opposed to politics. Anybody's opinion can be right.

    And art usually doesn't fuck up our lives one way or the other. 😉

    WSS

  • How could I forget maybe the most iconic riff?

  • @miktoxic said:

    jeff beck

    joe bonamasso

    robin trower

    david gilmour

    stevie ray

    derek trucks

    buckethead

    steve vai (played w/zappa when he was like 16)

    steve lukather

    neil schonn

    i could go on and on. all guitar players who could do both. create a hook and rip a solo.

    a riff, really? i guess the 'commercial' bullshit song will win out. in that case the stones 'satisfaction'. richards couldn't play a solo to save his 25th life.

    Steve Vai was 18

    @nickers said:

    Steve Vai was 18

    and neil schonn started with santana when he was 'like 15'. lol.

  • @nickers said:

    Steve Vai was 18

    and neil schonn started with santana when he was 'like 15'. lol.

    @miktoxic said:

    and neil schonn started with santana when he was 'like 15'. lol.

    like wow. Like.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I think the players who have the ability to do a combination of the two are the real masters. Personally I don't think anyone is better than Steve Vai. But there are a lot of greats.

    We older guys seemed to be entrenched with older guitar players, but face it kids. Eddie Van Halen could run rings around Les Paul.

    WSS

    Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

    @nickers said:

    Eddie Van Halen wishes he was Les Paul..Ive been playing since I was 11 years...Eddie isnt anywhere harmonically on the same planet as LP was.

    Eddie Van Halen could play rings around Les Paul

  • George Harrison getting no love? The guy has so many classic riffs and I personally think he's right up there with clapton and above the likes of page.

  • George Harrison getting no love? The guy has so many classic riffs and I personally think he's right up there with clapton and above the likes of page.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    George Harrison getting no love? The guy has so many classic riffs and I personally think he's right up there with clapton and above the likes of page.

    I guess his playing was always more subtle and understated, plus he was, after all "The Quiet Beatle". But, yes, it seems odd that the lead guitarist of the greatest band that ever was or ever will be is underrated.

  • day tripper, and your bird can sing, ticket to ride...

    WSS

  • For my money "my sweet lord", "while my guitar gently weeps" and "something" are among my top George tunes

  • For my money "my sweet lord", "while my guitar gently weeps" and "something" are among my top George tunes

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    For my money "my sweet lord", "while my guitar gently weeps" and "something" are among my top George tunes

    FYI, I believe it was actually Eric Clapton who did the guitar solo on My guitar gently weeps, wasn't it?

  • Might have been. I've heard he was a frequent stand in for George when things weren't going well for the Beatles

  • actually mostly because he and George were close friends.

    WSS

  • actually mostly because he and George were close friends.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    actually mostly because he and George were close friends.

    WSS

    It was Clapton who headed up the Memorial concert for George after he died.

    And, beyond that, didnt they actually like share a wife?

    Wasn't Patty Boyd married to both of them at one time?

    Apparently so:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattie_Boyd

    According to this she also was screwing Ronnie Wood at some point.

    (and naturally, the article implies that the blame should be placed on both George and Eric for her breakup with them.... yea, sure, I am sure she was totally innocent)

  • Yeah pattie boyd although she apparently left both of them for cheating. She was a hot piece too in her day

  • This is a great thread, keep it going 😁

  • Great

    WSS