Greatest Guitar Riffs
-
actually mostly because he and George were close friends.
WSS
-
actually mostly because he and George were close friends.
WSS
actually mostly because he and George were close friends.
WSS
It was Clapton who headed up the Memorial concert for George after he died.
And, beyond that, didnt they actually like share a wife?
Wasn't Patty Boyd married to both of them at one time?
Apparently so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattie_Boyd
According to this she also was screwing Ronnie Wood at some point.
(and naturally, the article implies that the blame should be placed on both George and Eric for her breakup with them.... yea, sure, I am sure she was totally innocent)
-
Yeah pattie boyd although she apparently left both of them for cheating. She was a hot piece too in her day
-
This is a great thread, keep it going

-
Great
WSS
-
Eddie Van Halen could play rings around Les Paul
Dont even get Me started on this..Les Paul had a full understanding of Jazz,Harmony and Theory that Eddie cant ever touch.. And Les Paul was every bit as technically gifted and even more so. Les Paul was a real picker. Eddies a dynomite player..But Eddie relies more on tricks...Les Paul invented 90% of the gear that is used in the recording studio and spawned the recording industry into the future and beyond. Hers a clip of LP..a middle aged Les Paul but Les could still play right till the day he died. Les was a genius.
-
pretty funny there are no songs from anyone people would consider a guitar virtuoso besides page from zeppelin.
what they should have asked specifically is the top 100 guitar solos.
-
-
Musical masturbation. Who wants to hear a 15 minute long solo.
i don't either but i betcha everyone can air guitar the gilmour solo on comfortably numb.
-
I can't even think of the solo of comfortably numb off the top of my head and even if I could it's not really a song that inspires me to air guitar. Note like take a bunch of xanax and stare at the wall.
-
Eddie Van Halen could play rings around Les Paul
Dont even get Me started on this..Les Paul had a full understanding of Jazz,Harmony and Theory that Eddie cant ever touch.. And Les Paul was every bit as technically gifted and even more so. Les Paul was a real picker. Eddies a dynomite player..But Eddie relies more on tricks...Les Paul invented 90% of the gear that is used in the recording studio and spawned the recording industry into the future and beyond. Hers a clip of LP..a middle aged Les Paul but Les could still play right till the day he died. Les was a genius.
Dont even get Me started on this..Les Paul had a full understanding of Jazz,Harmony and Theory that Eddie cant ever touch.. And Les Paul was every bit as technically gifted and even more so. Les Paul was a real picker. Eddies a dynomite player..But Eddie relies more on tricks...Les Paul invented 90% of the gear that is used in the recording studio and spawned the recording industry into the future and beyond. Hers a clip of LP..a middle aged Les Paul but Les could still play right till the day he died. Les was a genius.
Well I can't deny that was some pretty impressive playing
-
Beatles came up with a musical blueprint unmatched in modern pop/rock n roll history
It changed, for many of us, how we listen and understand
-
the guys listed so far (and there are many more) are all demigods ln thier own rights for sure...
but talk about riffs? my favorite is Phil Keaggy....
-
A riff, by definition is a short repeated phrase.. It doesn't necessarily have to be complicated.. It can be "Smoke on the Water" simple. Zepplin's "Immigrant Song" simple Or "Crazy Train" semi complicated.. The best ones imo are always really simple.
Two relatively recent examples..
I don't know, I've done radio shows for a few different outlets and I try, despite my age, to stay riff current.. But I do believe "Smoke on the Water" is regularly voted as the greatest guitar riff of all time..

-
like i said in an earlier post if you want to know what a riff is it can be a collection of chords that make up the structure of the song or it can be a collection of notes that is the hook of the song...perfect example is the repeated guitar in 'satisfaction' by the stones. i don't know how the voting in the OPs original contest is going but i would think that riff would be in the top 5 by the end.
-
I can't even think of the solo of comfortably numb off the top of my head and even if I could it's not really a song that inspires me to air guitar. Note like take a bunch of xanax and stare at the wall.
I can't even think of the solo of comfortably numb off the top of my head and even if I could it's not really a song that inspires me to air guitar. Note like take a bunch of xanax and stare at the wall.
different era or influences i guess because 'the wall' to us HS kids when it came out was as iconic as the 'frampton comes alive' or the original 'kiss-alive'. might not like the music but they were HUGE sellers and big influences as far as concept albums and live recordings go.
i can hear every note of that solo as if it were playing in the background right now. wait?
-
Well it is most certainly generational as to what music creeps into your soul and stays there throughout your life.
Those of us who came of age during the Beatles reign were fortunate, I believe, because the Beatles were exceptional talents and societal icons for a good long time.
Lots of artists can't sustain that level of influence.
Later things got more fragmented, more fraction alized as the availability of media provided a venue for so many different types of music for kids to grab onto.
WSS
-
I know some of my favourite tunes, the ones I really put on to either kick back or get pumped, are from right around the time I was at high school/early university, like 2003-2006. Things like American Idiot, Mr Brightside etc. can't hold a candle to great guitar songs from Clapton, Hendrix, the Beatles and the rest, but because it's associated with such a fun partying time, those songs will always hold a special place in my heart.
I can listen to Day Tripper now (obviously I wasn't born when it was released), and admire the music, but it's not something I have any emotional attachment to. the nearest from those generations (because I'm a metal/punk kinda person) would be things like the kinks, breaking the law from Judas Priest, anything by Iron Maiden, and odd songs here and there from others, like a few black sabbath, pleasant valley sunday (outlier), Led Zep, things like that.
-
Musical masturbation. Who wants to hear a 15 minute long solo.
Not quite 15 minutes....but essentially this fits the bill....and yes, I want to hear it:
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login