Skip to content

Greatest Guitar Riffs

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
152 16 6.3k
  • @miktoxic said:

    what they should have asked specifically is the top 100 guitar solos.

    Musical masturbation. Who wants to hear a 15 minute long solo.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Musical masturbation. Who wants to hear a 15 minute long solo.

    Not quite 15 minutes....but essentially this fits the bill....and yes, I want to hear it:

  • Maggot is a fun song but some really sloppy cheeseball guitar playing compared to other guys we've been talking about. Still I guess that opening riff food goes to route is pretty memorable!

    WSS

  • Maggot is a fun song but some really sloppy cheeseball guitar playing compared to other guys we've been talking about. Still I guess that opening riff food goes to route is pretty memorable!

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Maggot is a fun song but some really sloppy cheeseball guitar playing compared to other guys we've been talking about. Still I guess that opening riff food goes to route is pretty memorable!

    WSS

    Are we talking just technical eptitude.....or about stuff we like to hear?

    I mean I guess the likes of Hendrix and Page are wonderfully pure technical players.......but I might like to hear a song written by someone that can't match up, but yet writes better melodies.

    Maybe there are bands out there with a Steve Simmons like guitarists.....yea, OK, not the greatest....but I certainly like songs written by Steve Simmons better than those written by Hendrix overall.

    (do you write your stuff on a guitar, or on a keyboard, or both?)

  • @westside-steve said:

    Maggot is a fun song but some really sloppy cheeseball guitar playing compared to other guys we've been talking about. Still I guess that opening riff food goes to route is pretty memorable!

    WSS

    Are we talking just technical eptitude.....or about stuff we like to hear?

    I mean I guess the likes of Hendrix and Page are wonderfully pure technical players.......but I might like to hear a song written by someone that can't match up, but yet writes better melodies.

    Maybe there are bands out there with a Steve Simmons like guitarists.....yea, OK, not the greatest....but I certainly like songs written by Steve Simmons better than those written by Hendrix overall.

    (do you write your stuff on a guitar, or on a keyboard, or both?)

    @the-gipper said:

    Are we talking just technical eptitude.....or about stuff we like to hear?

    I mean I guess the likes of Hendrix and Page are wonderfully pure technical players.......but I might like to hear a song written by someone that can't match up, but yet writes better melodies.

    Maybe there are bands out there with a Steve Simmons like guitarists.....yea, OK, not the greatest....but I certainly like songs written by Steve Simmons better than those written by Hendrix overall.

    (do you write your stuff on a guitar, or on a keyboard, or both?)

    Page was very good until about 1972 and started pumping heroin in his veins then he became a very sloppy picker....He can barely play these days.. But make no mistake.. Page is one of the masters when it comes to chord choices harmonically and penning great music for guitar or otherwise. As a producer. He's 2nd to none.

    Heres a remake of Maggot brain I made back in 05..It's not without its recording flaws..I did it just for fun...

    https://soundcloud.com/#nick-costa-7/maggot-brain

  • @the-gipper said:

    Are we talking just technical eptitude.....or about stuff we like to hear?

    I mean I guess the likes of Hendrix and Page are wonderfully pure technical players.......but I might like to hear a song written by someone that can't match up, but yet writes better melodies.

    Maybe there are bands out there with a Steve Simmons like guitarists.....yea, OK, not the greatest....but I certainly like songs written by Steve Simmons better than those written by Hendrix overall.

    (do you write your stuff on a guitar, or on a keyboard, or both?)

    Page was very good until about 1972 and started pumping heroin in his veins then he became a very sloppy picker....He can barely play these days.. But make no mistake.. Page is one of the masters when it comes to chord choices harmonically and penning great music for guitar or otherwise. As a producer. He's 2nd to none.

    Heres a remake of Maggot brain I made back in 05..It's not without its recording flaws..I did it just for fun...

    https://soundcloud.com/#nick-costa-7/maggot-brain

    @nickers said:

    Page was very good until about 1972 and started pumping heroin in his veins then he became a very sloppy picker....He can barely play these days.. But make no mistake.. Page is one of the masters when it comes to chord choices harmonically and penning great music for guitar or otherwise. As a producer. He's 2nd to none.

    Heres a remake of Maggot brain I made back in 05..It's not without its recording flaws..I did it just for fun...

    https://soundcloud.com/#nick-costa-7/maggot-brain

    Let me just say this: I am not a musician, so, yes, I am not capable of evaluating the technical eptitude about picking or harmonic chord choices.

    But, I know what I like, and I really am not all that into Led Zeppelin. Certainly there are songs I like, and certainly there is some good music for guitar that he put out.

    But they just don't float my boat all that much.....so I am sitting low in the water with them.

    And "what I like" is all that counts in music.....it really is.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Maggot is a fun song but some really sloppy cheeseball guitar playing compared to other guys we've been talking about. Still I guess that opening riff food goes to route is pretty memorable!

    WSS

    Are we talking just technical eptitude.....or about stuff we like to hear?

    I mean I guess the likes of Hendrix and Page are wonderfully pure technical players.......but I might like to hear a song written by someone that can't match up, but yet writes better melodies.

    Maybe there are bands out there with a Steve Simmons like guitarists.....yea, OK, not the greatest....but I certainly like songs written by Steve Simmons better than those written by Hendrix overall.

    (do you write your stuff on a guitar, or on a keyboard, or both?)

    @the-gipper said:

    Are we talking just technical eptitude.....or about stuff we like to hear?

    I mean I guess the likes of Hendrix and Page are wonderfully pure technical players.......but I might like to hear a song written by someone that can't match up, but yet writes better melodies.

    Maybe there are bands out there with a Steve Simmons like guitarists.....yea, OK, not the greatest....but I certainly like songs written by Steve Simmons better than those written by Hendrix overall.

    (do you write your stuff on a guitar, or on a keyboard, or both?)

    technical aptitude. I'm personally not a very good guitar player. Lots better than guys that can't play at all but you understand.

    Nickers and Axe are well above average.

    But it's pretty apparent when a guitar solo is sloppy even if it kind of sounds cool. That's all I meant to say. And whether I enjoy something or not personally has very little as to the proficiency required to play or sing a particular piece. My favorite vocalists or guitar players are not the most technically skilled.

    Personal taste, like mentioning feel or touch or stuff like that, is an intangible often used like this:

    Charlie is my favorite weightlifter of all time but Sam can lift more weight.

    🙂

    WSS

  • and usually I write in my head then pick up the guitar since its handy and start putting the chords where I heard them.

    I don't have the piano in the living room anymore but 1 of these days I will have a digital with weighted keys to play while I'm upstairs. I do have one in the studio. Sometimes the song I hear in my head is a piano song so I go work on it there.

    but again I'm a vocalist who plays enough piano and guitar to hack through what needs to be done.

    WSS

  • and usually I write in my head then pick up the guitar since its handy and start putting the chords where I heard them.

    I don't have the piano in the living room anymore but 1 of these days I will have a digital with weighted keys to play while I'm upstairs. I do have one in the studio. Sometimes the song I hear in my head is a piano song so I go work on it there.

    but again I'm a vocalist who plays enough piano and guitar to hack through what needs to be done.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    and usually I write in my head then pick up the guitar since its handy and start putting the chords where I heard them.

    I don't have the piano in the living room anymore but 1 of these days I will have a digital with weighted keys to play while I'm upstairs. I do have one in the studio. Sometimes the song I hear in my head is a piano song so I go work on it there.

    but again I'm a vocalist who plays enough piano and guitar to hack through what needs to be done.

    WSS

    By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! 😁 See you then if not before.

  • @westside-steve said:

    and usually I write in my head then pick up the guitar since its handy and start putting the chords where I heard them.

    I don't have the piano in the living room anymore but 1 of these days I will have a digital with weighted keys to play while I'm upstairs. I do have one in the studio. Sometimes the song I hear in my head is a piano song so I go work on it there.

    but again I'm a vocalist who plays enough piano and guitar to hack through what needs to be done.

    WSS

    By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! 😁 See you then if not before.

    @the-gipper said:

    By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! 😁 See you then if not before.

    Great.

    Maybe the Philip Seymour Hoffman flick tomorrow?

  • @the-gipper said:

    By the way, I am coming to PIB on Friday with my wife and daughter. You can hack your way through a few songs in our presence! 😁 See you then if not before.

    Great.

    Maybe the Philip Seymour Hoffman flick tomorrow?

    @westside-steve said:

    Great.

    Maybe the Philip Seymour Hoffman flick tomorrow?

    It would have to be later in the day....4:00ish.

  • Page is no Malmsteen but he's written/co wrote more classics. John Paul Jones did almost all the arranging.

    There's an old joke in guitarist circles..

    How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

    Six, one to actually do it and five to stand around and say "PPPHHHTTT!!! I could've done that shit better" 😁

    As a guitarist,, I TRY to remember to NOT think in terms of impressing other guitarists when I write. If you do that i think you are fucking up. And that's probably why the BEST riffs of all time are extremely simple riffs that you don't have to be well versed in modal theory to understand and feel..

  • Jimmy Hendrix rocks! Nobody can play a guitar like him!

  • Meh on hendrix. I've never liked his stuff or been that impressed by him. I can't think of one hendrix tune that I hear and have to crank it up. Maybe "let me stand next to your fire"

  • Jimmy Hendrix rocks! Nobody can play a guitar like him!

    @jppt1974 said:

    Jimmy Hendrix rocks! Nobody can play a guitar like him!

    Agree!

  • To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

  • To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

    @nickers said:

    To Me..there really isnt a "Best" guitarist,per se'... There are alot of non houshold greats like Mike Landau and Carl Verheyen that get very little ink, but are no less inventive or inspirational. I like a lot of different players for different reasons. And you take a bit of each one and just try to make it your own. And thanks for the kind words,Steve..great job yourself.

    yes I think that's exactly right. I mean you can tell if somebody is sloppy and not very technically proficient from somebody who's precise but still there are a lot of guys who are fast and sharp. Hard to tell if one is better than the other. There's no real objective test. Kind of like who's the best athlete?

    WSS

  • i haven't even tapped into a umpteenth of music that is out there, meanwhile my collection of bands and musicians that 'no one' (my friends) have ever heard of scares most people.

    something about jeff beck that i always turn to when someone says technical....i mean it seems like the guitar is an extension of his natural body, maybe vai too.

    another great finger picker is/was mark knoppfler. when sultans of swing came out i was pretty floored.

    brian may used to play with a coin instead of a pick, which i guess gave the guitar a different sound.

    interesting stuff here.

  • They great thing about Jeff Beck is.. theres no gimmick.. It's all pure tone that comes from his fingers..If your a good player...It really doesnt matter what you play through (amp wise) . Your natural finger print will shine through.

  • How about Alvin Lee on I'm going home when he played at woodstock. Roy Clark was great too!

  • When I think of riffs i think of:

    Satisfaction

    Smoke on the Water

    Money for nothing

    Sweet child o mine.

    Thats a pretty good Mount Rushmore of Riffs.

    Z