Skip to content

QB ranking 2014

The Browns Board
7 2 506
  • Here is myrankings for the best to worst Quarterback situations for the coming season.

    Top 5:

    1. Tom Brady, Pats

    2. Peyton Manning, Broncos

    3. Aaron Rodgers, Packers

    4. Drew Brees, Saints

    5. Andrew Luck, Colts

    6-10:

    6. Colin Kaepernick, 49ers

    7. Russell Wilson, Seahawks

    8. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers

    9. Cam Newton, Panthers

    10. Joe Flacco, Ravens

    11-15:

    11. Eli Manning

    12. Matt Stafford

    13. Phillip Rivers

    14. Matt Ryan

    15. Robert Griffin III (if healthy)

    16-20:

    16. Jay Cutler, Bears

    17. Andy Dalton, Bengals

    18. Tony Romo, Cowboys

    19. Carson Palmer, Cardinals

    20. Nick Foles, Eagles

    21-25:

    21. Alex Smith, Chiefs

    22. Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins

    23. Jake Locker, Titans

    24. Sam Bradford, Rams

    25. Matt Schaub, Raiders

    26-28:

    26. EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills

    27. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay

    28. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Texans

    The following are given the lowest rank merely because the QB situations are in flux....i.e. we don't really know who will be starting when the first game comes.

    29-32

    29. Jacksonville, will it be Chad Henne, or Blake Bortles (it will eventually be #3 overall Bortles..but when?)

    30. NY Jets: will it be Geno Smith or Michael Vick?

    31. Cleveland Browns: Will it be Brian Hoyer or Johnny Manziel?

    32. Minnesota Vikings: Will it be Matt Cassell, or Bridgewater, or someone else?

    FYI, this is Gospel, there can be no argument with these rankings. If you do so you will incurr the Wrath of the Gods, or Khan...or you will be whipped with a wet noodle...or, if you disagree you may be right and I may change my mind.

  • Here may be the area that is more debatable: Here are the backup QBs for each team, per Ourlads NFL Depth Charts. Which teams have the best/worst situations here:

    (alphabetical)

    Arizona: Drew Stanton

    Atlanta: TJ Yates

    Baltimore: Tyrod Taylor

    Buffalo: Thad Lewis

    Carolina: Derek Anderson

    Chicago: Jimmy Clausen

    Cincy: Jason Campbell

    Cleveland: List Hoyer as starter, Manziel backup

    Dallas: Brandon Weeden

    Denver: Brock Osweiler

    Detroit: Kellen Moore

    Green Bay: Matt Flynn

    Houston: Case Keesum

    Indy: Matt Hasselbeck

    JAX: List Henne as starter, Bortles as backup

    Kansas City: Chase Daniel

    Miami: Matt Moore

    Minnesota: List Cassell as starter, Ponder as backup, Bridgewater #3

    New England: Ryan Mallett

    New Orleans: Luke McCown

    NY Giants: Curtis Painter

    NY Jets: List Smith as Starter, Vick as backup

    Oakland: Derek Carr

    Philly: Mark Sanchez

    Pittsburgh: Bruce Gradkowski

    San Diego: Kellen Clemens

    Seattle: Tavaris Jackson

    San Francisco: Blaine Gabbert

    St. Louis: Shaun Hill

    Tampa Bay: List Josh McCown as starter, Glennon as backup

    Tennessee: Charlie Whitehurst

    Washington: Kirk Cousins.

    Oddly, some of the ones I listed as having the worst QB situation may be in good shape as far as backup is concerned. McCown/Glennon in TB, Henne/Bortles in Jax, Smith/Vick in NYJ, even the Browns.

  • @everlastingxxx said:

    Nice list, not too bad. Maybe move Newton down, Romo up and id put Jax at 32.

    Jacksonville's situation will be resolved probably before any of the other "up for grabs" spots. They didn't draft Bortles #3 to sit.

    At most I would only move Newton down 1-2 slots, and the same for moving Romo up.

  • Not bad. I do question your placement of Stafford, Cutler and Foles though. All I think will outperform those ranks

  • Not bad. I do question your placement of Stafford, Cutler and Foles though. All I think will outperform those ranks

    @jcam222 said:

    Not bad. I do question your placement of Stafford, Cutler and Foles though. All I think will outperform those ranks

    Who do you drop down if you raise them up?

  • @jcam222 said:

    Not bad. I do question your placement of Stafford, Cutler and Foles though. All I think will outperform those ranks

    Who do you drop down if you raise them up?

    @the-gipper said:

    Who do you drop down if you raise them up?

    Here is spin on the rankings. Probably take some crap about Russel Wilson but I see him a a game manager which is adequate with their defense.

    Top 5:

    1. Tom Brady, Pats

    2. Peyton Manning, Broncos

    3. Aaron Rodgers, Packers

    4. Drew Brees, Saints

    5. Andrew Luck, Colts

    6-10:

    6. Colin Kaepernick, 49ers

    7. Matt Stafford - Lions

    8. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers

    9. Nick Foles - Eagles

    10. Cam Newton

    11-15:

    11. Russel Wilson

    12. Jay Cutler

    13. Phillip Rivers

    14. Matt Ryan

    15. Robert Griffin III (if healthy)

    16-20:

    16.Joe Flacco - Ravens

    17. Andy Dalton, Bengals

    18. Tony Romo, Cowboys

    19. Carson Palmer, Cardinals

    20.Eli Manning

    21-25:

    21. Alex Smith, Chiefs

    22. Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins

    23. Jake Locker, Titans

    24. Sam Bradford, Rams

    25. Matt Schaub, Raiders

    26-28:

    26. EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills

    27. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay

    28. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Texans

    The following are given the lowest rank merely because the QB situations are in flux....i.e. we don't really know who will be starting when the first game comes.

    29-32

    29. Jacksonville, will it be Chad Henne, or Blake Bortles (it will eventually be #3 overall Bortles..but when?)

    30. NY Jets: will it be Geno Smith or Michael Vick?

    31. Cleveland Browns: Will it be Brian Hoyer or Johnny Manziel?

    32. Minnesota Vikings: Will it be Matt Cassell, or Bridgewater, or someone else?

  • You have Stafford at #7. While I think he may have #7 talent, I don't think he has #7 accomplishment, and I think he has had adequate opportunity to reach that level but has fallen short.

    I would not put Foles at #9....yet. Maybe by the end of this season, sure. He is the guy I wanted the Browns to take in lieu of Brandon Weeden in the same draft.