Skip to content

Dorsey, Peek, Cousin cut

The Browns Board
41 23 3.3k
  • Nobody ever accused Phil of being savvy with his late-round picks.

  • It's slightly ironic that we got rid of Dorsey & Gradkowski on the same day that Luke McCown got a new 2 year deal from the Bucs that could be worth up to $14 mil.

    I'm not convinced that McCown can be the guy, but he probably is worth more than the wasted late 6th Round pick we got for him. You just can't get rid of a developmental QB until you're absolutely convinced he sucks - there's just too much of a risk that some other team will end up fleecing you or getting a starting QB for free (i.e. Derek Anderson, Tyler Thigpen).

    And to say something positive about Mangini, he understands this. Despite trading for Brett Favre and having Brett Ratliff emerge during last year's preseason, he kept 5th Round pick Erik Ainge as a fourth QB on the opening day roster, then stashed him on IR a few weeks into the season.

    Aloysius said:

    It's slightly ironic that we got rid of Dorsey & Gradkowski on the same day that Luke McCown got a new 2 year deal from the Bucs that could be worth up to $14 mil.

    I'm not convinced that McCown can be the guy, but he probably is worth more than the wasted late 6th Round pick we got for him. You just can't get rid of a developmental QB until you're absolutely convinced he sucks - there's just too much of a risk that some other team will end up fleecing you or getting a starting QB for free (i.e. Derek Anderson, Tyler Thigpen).

    And to say something positive about Mangini, he understands this. Despite trading for Brett Favre and having Brett Ratliff emerge during last year's preseason, he kept 5th Round pick Erik Ainge as a fourth QB on the opening day roster, then stashed him on IR a few weeks into the season.

    I disagree. The Ravens couldve spent last year letting Anderson, Boller, and Smith take turns disappointing. Instead, they found a new franchise QB. The Bucs couldve had Quinn if they wouldve given up on the McCown, Griese, Simms, every other backup QB in the league approach. The Browns came this close to wasting 2007 on Charlie Frye. I just dont see a perennial QB competition as a good thing.

  • Oh, I don't mean you have to start the guy or hold off on drafting a 1st Round QB. I'm just talking about retaining a rookie or second year developmental guy as your 3rd QB.

    The Ravens and Vikings made a mistake in putting DA & Thigpen on waivers, and I think we made a similar mistake in trading McCown.

  • Gee, our new leaders aren't looking at the roster & saying, "Um, well, uh...".

    Glad to see that they are hitting the ground running.

    Mike

  • Yeah. Absolutely love it. Cousins is exactly the type of halfassed player Mangini won't put up with.

  • As they watch more film, more turds will get flushed. I fully anticipate Shaffer, Shaun Smith and Andra Davis to be next.

  • I don't know about Shaffer, he played okay last year. In 2007 he was above average. Put a good RG between him and Fraley and both look a lot better. Duke Robinson in the second?

  • It may come as a surprise to Bradies Ladies, but Shaun Smith DID NOT get cut.

    All the shep bullshit guarantees in the world still couldn't make that one happen.

  • It may come as a surprise to Derek's fluffer, but today wasn't the only day to make cuts.

  • It may come as a surprise to Bradies Ladies, but Shaun Smith DID NOT get cut.

    All the shep bullshit guarantees in the world still couldn't make that one happen.

    @lumbergh said:

    It may come as a surprise to Bradies Ladies, but Shaun Smith DID NOT get cut.

    Final cut was today?

    Your ignorance continues to astound me.

  • P PBJ

    I don't know about Shaffer, he played okay last year. In 2007 he was above average. Put a good RG between him and Fraley and both look a lot better. Duke Robinson in the second?

    @pbj said:

    I don't know about Shaffer, he played okay last year. In 2007 he was above average. Put a good RG between him and Fraley and both look a lot better. Duke Robinson in the second?

    Hmmm. Interesting. I'd argue that Fraley ma de Hadnot look worse than he is. But, that's just what I saw.

    The most pressure we saw was up the middle (again, I think that is Fraley just being out-sized, not out played). Domino effect. JT got beat when he had to cheat inside to help McKinney (or when Steinbach was ailing but playing anyway).

    Also odd to see Dorsey go, unless he needed to get chopped so that Luke Skywalker's Brady Quinn's training can be complete and order is restored to the force.

  • It's slightly ironic that we got rid of Dorsey & Gradkowski on the same day that Luke McCown got a new 2 year deal from the Bucs that could be worth up to $14 mil.

    I'm not convinced that McCown can be the guy, but he probably is worth more than the wasted late 6th Round pick we got for him. You just can't get rid of a developmental QB until you're absolutely convinced he sucks - there's just too much of a risk that some other team will end up fleecing you or getting a starting QB for free (i.e. Derek Anderson, Tyler Thigpen).

    And to say something positive about Mangini, he understands this. Despite trading for Brett Favre and having Brett Ratliff emerge during last year's preseason, he kept 5th Round pick Erik Ainge as a fourth QB on the opening day roster, then stashed him on IR a few weeks into the season.

    Aloysius said:

    It's slightly ironic that we got rid of Dorsey & Gradkowski on the same day that Luke McCown got a new 2 year deal from the Bucs that could be worth up to $14 mil.

    All I have to say is suckers... the guy only has 1,600 career passing yards. Most QB's have that by week 6.

  • does this mean that they are keeping brady and da?

  • does this mean that they are keeping brady and da?

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    does this mean that they are keeping brady and da?

    I still think DA will be traded. If you look at the free agent listing, there are a number available that won't cost a bunch & would hurt you far less than DA. It was pretty much a certainty that Dorsey would go.

    Mike

  • Today's cuts mean absolutely nothing about the rest of the roster. What they mean is that those players got cut, and nothing else. More cuts are to come, and more trades are to come.

    I don't think Gradkowski or Dorsey were cut from our backup position...they were our 3rd/4th stringers. So it doesn't mean that this means ManKok plans on keeping DA as #2.

  • As they watch more film, more turds will get flushed. I fully anticipate Shaffer, Shaun Smith and Andra Davis to be next.

    @pl4tinum said:

    As they watch more film, more turds will get flushed. I fully anticipate Shaffer, Shaun Smith and Andra Davis to be next.

    Andra Davis is a UFA, as are about 8 other guys, so he isn't even ours to cut.

  • @pbj said:

    I don't know about Shaffer, he played okay last year. In 2007 he was above average. Put a good RG between him and Fraley and both look a lot better. Duke Robinson in the second?

    Hmmm. Interesting. I'd argue that Fraley ma de Hadnot look worse than he is. But, that's just what I saw.

    The most pressure we saw was up the middle (again, I think that is Fraley just being out-sized, not out played). Domino effect. JT got beat when he had to cheat inside to help McKinney (or when Steinbach was ailing but playing anyway).

    Also odd to see Dorsey go, unless he needed to get chopped so that Luke Skywalker's Brady Quinn's training can be complete and order is restored to the force.

    @legacy-fan said:

    Hmmm. Interesting. I'd argue that Fraley ma de Hadnot look worse than he is. But, that's just what I saw.

    The most pressure we saw was up the middle (again, I think that is Fraley just being out-sized, not out played). Domino effect. JT got beat when he had to cheat inside to help McKinney (or when Steinbach was ailing but playing anyway).

    Also odd to see Dorsey go, unless he needed to get chopped so that Luke Skywalker's Brady Quinn's training can be complete and order is restored to the force.

    I'm not a big Shaffer fan, but he was on an island quite a bit. Hadnot or whomever was playing RG had to help Fraley quite a bit. Fraley was a very servicable stop gap for awhile but time really caught up to him last year. I definately think Hadnot or a FA or draft pick will be at center next year. I don't think Fraley will get cut until after someone is secured or he may come into camp to insure against injuries.

  • @inspecta said:

    Son, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life....

    I could be wrong but isn't it, "fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life..." ?

    It's been a loooong time since I've seen that classic.

    -Al

  • @legacy-fan said:

    Hmmm. Interesting. I'd argue that Fraley ma de Hadnot look worse than he is. But, that's just what I saw.

    The most pressure we saw was up the middle (again, I think that is Fraley just being out-sized, not out played). Domino effect. JT got beat when he had to cheat inside to help McKinney (or when Steinbach was ailing but playing anyway).

    Also odd to see Dorsey go, unless he needed to get chopped so that Luke Skywalker's Brady Quinn's training can be complete and order is restored to the force.

    I'm not a big Shaffer fan, but he was on an island quite a bit. Hadnot or whomever was playing RG had to help Fraley quite a bit. Fraley was a very servicable stop gap for awhile but time really caught up to him last year. I definately think Hadnot or a FA or draft pick will be at center next year. I don't think Fraley will get cut until after someone is secured or he may come into camp to insure against injuries.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I'm not a big Shaffer fan, but he was on an island quite a bit. Hadnot or whomever was playing RG had to help Fraley quite a bit. Fraley was a very servicable stop gap for awhile but time really caught up to him last year. I definately think Hadnot or a FA or draft pick will be at center next year. I don't think Fraley will get cut until after someone is secured or he may come into camp to insure against injuries.

    Yeah, I wonder whether we'll actually cut Fraley. His base salary for 2009 is $1.3M - more than you'd like a backup center to make, but - like you said - he could be an okay insurance policy. His body may be beaten down to the point where you can't pencil him in as your starter, but he can gut out a good performance or two if your starting guy's injured.

    And I wonder if Hadnot could be a guy Mangini axes because of character concerns. Reports were that Hadnot was so focused on getting a new contract from the old Dolphins regime that it affected his play in '07. Apparently, that was part of the reason why Parcells didn't attempt to re-sign him.

    Hadnot's again in a contract year. If Mangini thinks he's going to start crowing about a new deal once he's named the starter, it's possible that he'll just get rid of him.

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I'm not a big Shaffer fan, but he was on an island quite a bit. Hadnot or whomever was playing RG had to help Fraley quite a bit. Fraley was a very servicable stop gap for awhile but time really caught up to him last year. I definately think Hadnot or a FA or draft pick will be at center next year. I don't think Fraley will get cut until after someone is secured or he may come into camp to insure against injuries.

    Yeah, I wonder whether we'll actually cut Fraley. His base salary for 2009 is $1.3M - more than you'd like a backup center to make, but - like you said - he could be an okay insurance policy. His body may be beaten down to the point where you can't pencil him in as your starter, but he can gut out a good performance or two if your starting guy's injured.

    And I wonder if Hadnot could be a guy Mangini axes because of character concerns. Reports were that Hadnot was so focused on getting a new contract from the old Dolphins regime that it affected his play in '07. Apparently, that was part of the reason why Parcells didn't attempt to re-sign him.

    Hadnot's again in a contract year. If Mangini thinks he's going to start crowing about a new deal once he's named the starter, it's possible that he'll just get rid of him.

    Aloysius said:

    Yeah, I wonder whether we'll actually cut Fraley. His base salary for 2009 is $1.3M - more than you'd like a backup center to make, but - like you said - he could be an okay insurance policy. His body may be beaten down to the point where you can't pencil him in as your starter, but he can gut out a good performance or two if your starting guy's injured.

    And I wonder if Hadnot could be a guy Mangini axes because of character concerns. Reports were that Hadnot was so focused on getting a new contract from the old Dolphins regime that it affected his play in '07. Apparently, that was part of the reason why Parcells didn't attempt to re-sign him.

    Hadnot's again in a contract year. If Mangini thinks he's going to start crowing about a new deal once he's named the starter, it's possible that he'll just get rid of him.

    would it be possible to move Fraley to somewhere else on the line, say RG? and you still have him in a backup capacity