Skip to content

Today's NFL - is it just me ?

The Browns Board
28 15 1.5k
  • I watched some bits and pieces of a few Pre-Season games last night and one primary thought came to me :

    Damn, there are going to be a LOT of Defensive penalty flags being thrown this year.

    This new rule change is really neutering the DB's, they're sissifying the game and turning it into a modified version a Volley Ball.

    Yeah, I understand they're doing this to open up the Passing game - what are they looking for, Basketball game type scores?

    Some of the best games I've watched are good Defensive battles, now they essentially don't allow you to even touch the Receivers - really going to change things.

    How about the Extra Point being kicked from the 15 now (yeah, this is a test just for Pre-Season)?

    What about going for Two Points, have they done away this, since from the 15 it's going to be pretty darn rare?

    Maybe I'm just getting too old, but a lot of these changes don't just seem right.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @jafbf said:

    Damn, there are going to be a LOT of Defensive penalty flags being thrown this year.

    How about the Extra Point being kicked from the 15 now (yeah, this is a test just for Pre-Season)?

    What about going for Two Points, have they done away this, since from the 15 it's going to be pretty darn rare?

    Maybe I'm just getting too old, but a lot of these changes don't just seem right.

    I, too, am a "tradionalist"... at least when it comes to my game... My hope is that they are overemphasizing early and will allow more play come the regular season.

    As for the 2 point... I was thinking that if a team elected to go for 2, then the ball would be placed at the 2.

    @kvoethe said:

    As far as the PAT is concerned i have a simple solution. Widen the hashmarks. That would make fgs and pats more of a challenge imho and increase more action on the field.

    I also have been in a favor of a return to the original NFL hash marks width, but as the rule now stands that change would not impact PATs as the ball was always placed in the middle.

  • @jafbf said:

    Damn, there are going to be a LOT of Defensive penalty flags being thrown this year.

    How about the Extra Point being kicked from the 15 now (yeah, this is a test just for Pre-Season)?

    What about going for Two Points, have they done away this, since from the 15 it's going to be pretty darn rare?

    Maybe I'm just getting too old, but a lot of these changes don't just seem right.

    I, too, am a "tradionalist"... at least when it comes to my game... My hope is that they are overemphasizing early and will allow more play come the regular season.

    As for the 2 point... I was thinking that if a team elected to go for 2, then the ball would be placed at the 2.

    @kvoethe said:

    As far as the PAT is concerned i have a simple solution. Widen the hashmarks. That would make fgs and pats more of a challenge imho and increase more action on the field.

    I also have been in a favor of a return to the original NFL hash marks width, but as the rule now stands that change would not impact PATs as the ball was always placed in the middle.

    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @tour2ma said:

    I, too, am a "tradionalist"... at least when it comes to my game... My hope is that they are overemphasizing early and will allow more play come the regular season.

    As for the 2 point... I was thinking that if a team elected to go for 2, then the ball would be placed at the 2.

    Not that it happens a lot, but what if they want to run a fake?

    Pretty much wipes that play out for the most part.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #5

    why they have to tinker and try to fix something that isn't broken has always been confusing to me whether it be football or anything else.

    i mean mcdonalds had the best french fries and they had to fuckin change them cuz people's hearts were exploding? c'mon man.

  • C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
    #6

    If you watched any of the Denver/Seahawks game, you saw 2 QB's with crap arms be effective. Today's QB has to have more talent between his ears then in his arm. Partly rules and partly the evolution of the game. The running game will evolve eventually, but right now it's a set up tool.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I, too, am a "tradionalist"... at least when it comes to my game... My hope is that they are overemphasizing early and will allow more play come the regular season.

    As for the 2 point... I was thinking that if a team elected to go for 2, then the ball would be placed at the 2.

    Not that it happens a lot, but what if they want to run a fake?

    Pretty much wipes that play out for the most part.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @jafbf said:

    Not that it happens a lot, but what if they want to run a fake?

    Pretty much wipes that play out for the most part.

    lol... not to mention the bobbled snap.

    Just what I thought they were doing these first two games... could be wrong...

  • StocktonShortsS StocktonShorts wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Usually when they're trying to enforce some kind of rule change they will over emphasize it during the preseason and throw flags constantly, and then by mid season it's pretty much back to how it used to be. They just want the players to not use their hands on each other down the field on a pass.

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Those penalties will slow the game down to a crawl. Its still going to be onesided during the game though.I know Haden and Skrine use that little jersey pull a lot.

  • Those penalties will slow the game down to a crawl. Its still going to be onesided during the game though.I know Haden and Skrine use that little jersey pull a lot.

    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by JAFBF
    #10

    @cambridgeho said:

    Those penalties will slow the game down to a crawl. Its still going to be onesided during the game though.I know Haden and Skrine use that little jersey pull a lot.

    Yeah, that's something else I was thinking, and may well validate what StocktonShorts saying about them easing up on the call as the Season progresses.

    The big problem is that it'll probably get heavily enforced at the worst possible time . . . looking at the N.E. game last year.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Well, jeez, if we go by the attitude of FIFA and these soccer suckers, then we should be changing the rules to make defense be predominate because, after all, 0-0 ties are just so darn exciting.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Not the best place to put but there's something I wanted to say about the NFL. Did anyone else see how the redzone is now advertised? The preseason Ravens 49ers game had a gigantic Verizon logo stuck right in the entire redzone.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #13

    cowboys need a new coaching staff.

  • cowboys need a new coaching staff.

    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @miktoxic said:

    cowboys need a new coaching staff.

    As per the Pre-Season norm, Weeden looked decent in the game.

    Still think we should have kept him as our 3rd/4th string QB, definitely seems like he'd be better than what we've got at the position currently.

    'Course there's the new "play like a Brown" mentality - which likely he doesn't have anyway . . .

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #15

    and mccoy looked like an all-star for the skins last night..........not kidding.

  • and mccoy looked like an all-star for the skins last night..........not kidding.

    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @miktoxic said:

    and mccoy looked like an all-star for the skins last night..........not kidding.

    Yeah, he had like a 150 QBR.

    I liked McCoy though, never thought he had the talent around him to fairly evaluate him though.

  • why they have to tinker and try to fix something that isn't broken has always been confusing to me whether it be football or anything else.

    i mean mcdonalds had the best french fries and they had to fuckin change them cuz people's hearts were exploding? c'mon man.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @miktoxic said:

    why they have to tinker and try to fix something that isn't broken has always been confusing to me whether it be football or anything else.

    i mean mcdonalds had the best french fries and they had to fuckin change them cuz people's hearts were exploding? c'mon man.

    My thoughts exactly. The changes they continue to make are for the worse
  • @miktoxic said:

    and mccoy looked like an all-star for the skins last night..........not kidding.

    Yeah, he had like a 150 QBR.

    I liked McCoy though, never thought he had the talent around him to fairly evaluate him though.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @jafbf said:

    Yeah, he had like a 150 QBR.

    I liked McCoy though, never thought he had the talent around him to fairly evaluate him though.

    Why do mediocre QBs (especially ours) look so much better in preseason I wonder. Are the opposing defenses just not playing hard?
  • @jafbf said:

    Yeah, he had like a 150 QBR.

    I liked McCoy though, never thought he had the talent around him to fairly evaluate him though.

    Why do mediocre QBs (especially ours) look so much better in preseason I wonder. Are the opposing defenses just not playing hard?
    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @comeonman said:

    Why do mediocre QBs (especially ours) look so much better in preseason I wonder. Are the opposing defenses just not playing hard?

    Yeah, they're playing against generic Defenses.

    Teams don't want to show too much of what they're going to do during the regular Season, so they pretty much play a generic Defense - primarily to have a base line for evaluating players for cuts.

  • why they have to tinker and try to fix something that isn't broken has always been confusing to me whether it be football or anything else.

    i mean mcdonalds had the best french fries and they had to fuckin change them cuz people's hearts were exploding? c'mon man.

    T Taco918 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @miktoxic said:

    why they have to tinker and try to fix something that isn't broken has always been confusing to me whether it be football or anything else.

    i mean mcdonalds had the best french fries and they had to fuckin change them cuz people's hearts were exploding? c'mon man.

    I can't tell if that's a subtle shot at the NFL for not doing more about concussions or a legit opinion but I laughed regardless.

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Every ex brown turns into a hall of famer

  • Every ex brown turns into a hall of famer

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @kvoethe said:

    Every ex brown turns into a hall of famer

    except Tim Couch, Willie Green, Charlie Frye, Courtney Brown,

    And let's not forget about the GREATEST QB EVER Brady Quinn