What about Jabaal?
-
Jabaal Sheard has been a player I've really liked since we drafted him, but I have to admit Im a bit confused on how the Browns have been using him. I thought he had a great rookie year at DE and looked like he would develop into a wicked pass rusher......Then, they decided to make him a linebacker.....hmmmmm
I was surprised by this, as he seems bit large and slow for OLB and really looked good with his hand on the ground. Now, with Mingo settling into the outside position, Im wondering if we are playing Sheard out of position and not really using him where he is best???.....He just seems too good to be a 2nd string situational player....or is he a tweener? Too big for LB and too small for DE(dont think so)?......
Mingo gets there faster, but isnt really a bell ringer......and Sheard is a step slower, but definitely will make the tackle(and ring the bell)....
Mingo vs Sheard.....curious on opinions.....
-
I've always thought the guys we have in the front 7 were better suited for the 4-3, and Sheard seemed to shine on the end. But I will defer to Pettine, he knows a little more about it than I do
-
I've always thought the guys we have in the front 7 were better suited for the 4-3, and Sheard seemed to shine on the end. But I will defer to Pettine, he knows a little more about it than I do
I've always thought the guys we have in the front 7 were better suited for the 4-3, and Sheard seemed to shine on the end. But I will defer to Pettine, he knows a little more about it than I do
Im with you on that 100%. We def have the personnel for a 4-3. Though the coaches seem to be saying they wont necessarily play a 3-4 or a 4-3, but will mix it up and show a lot of fronts and sets. ...Still, with Mingo developing and stepping into a starters role, I thought Pettine might move him back to the line......or put him in Krugers spot.....so, Im still hoping to see Sheard move up and attack from the end .....
As an aside, does anyone else think Kruger sorta looks like the creepy Burger King guy????
-
In a 3-4 he doesn't fit the line. We have great depth with both Bryant's @ RDE. Rubin Hughes and Wynn at LDE. and Taylor and kitchen holding the nose tackle. Plus you can plug Rubin and or Hughes at nose tackle. If you ask me that is one deep line. Or switch to the 4-3 you still have great depth.
I like sheard but his numbers dropped the second year he was in the 4-3. Then switching last year he had relatively the same numbers. Nothing flashy but steady. As much as I like him he gives us good depth but would love to get a speed rusher on the LOLB position.
-
Everything I've read points to Sheard, Mingo and Kruger splitting time pretty evenly.
-
I do hope he gets a lot of time with those other 2. Should be a wicked 1-2-3 punch and I love sacks!
I do have to disagree with him having the same numbers though....his first 2 years at DE were almost identical and he averaged 55 tackles and almost 8 sacks......last year, at LB, he dropped to 36 tackles and 5.5 sacks......and, really, a linebacker should have more tackles than an end, meaning he under performed for the position.....and, conversely, 55 tackles seems like a lot for a DE, meaning he excelled more at DE.....
In fairness, he did miss a few games last year, but it still projects as a drop off......
-
I think Sheard will be a valuable contributor in our defensive line rotation. He will spell other guys. Other guys will spell him. They will all be productive and keep this d-line fresh for the ends of games.
-
If the Lions preseason game was any indicator, it looks like it will be rare on any given snap to have just 3 down linemen. There were plays l saw Kruger start in a 3 point stance, and a couple other linebackers if l recall.
I think the Browns are emphasizing LBs that can cover, so those that can will see more playing time.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login