Time to Choose...
-
I say Hoyer.
But l'm losing sleep.
-
JF is just not ready, so I would start Hoyer and hope he gets his act together. I agree we need to reevaluate at the bye. Right now my concern is that we don't have an NFL caliber quarterback for 2014. I hope I'm proven wrong. After all Hoyer hit a receiver in the numbers and threw a TD pass - both of which were dropped.
-
Honestly I would give Shaw some first reps this week at camp and two or three series with the first team in the third game to see what he truely has.
Stranger things have happened.
Leave it to us browns fans to grasp at the third string undrafted rookie QB who illuminated what was otherwise a horrific performance from the incumbent and the supposed "future".
GuNNerGatSKy said:
Honestly I would give Shaw some first reps this week at camp and two or three series with the first team in the third game to see what he truely has.
Stranger things have happened.
Leave it to us browns fans to grasp at the third string undrafted rookie QB who illuminated what was otherwise a horrific performance from the incumbent and the supposed "future".
One more performance like that from Shaw, and he's on the regular roster, if not already. Make Grossman assistant qb coach. Rex has no upside. Shaw might have plenty.
All jokes about Connor Shaw aside, we are in serious trouble. If you have watched all 8 quarters and don't have that feeling in the pit of your stomach, then you are a better fan than I.
Win with defense, don't make mistakes on offense. Looks like what Pettine is planing.
Could be Shannahan's system is so complex, players are befuddled.
-
Dear Coach Pettine,
I know you hoped the decision would be obvious after tonite. But sometimes things just do not work out as well as we'd like them.
The one thing that was obvious is that you need to name a starting QB.
It's time to chose.
Sincerely,
Tour2ma
P.S. I do like your defense.
Dear Coach Pettine,
I know you hoped the decision would be obvious after tonite. But sometimes things just do not work out as well as we'd like them.
The one thing that was obvious is that you need to name a starting QB.
It's time to chose.
Sincerely,
Tour2ma
P.S. I do like your defense.
Pressure might have gotten to both of them tonight.
-
The dumbest decision was playing two series and switching out qb's. How is anyone going to get into any rhythm like that, especially with all the hype surrounding Johnny Football. Neither looked comfortable, and both were pressing, which showed Pettine absolutely nothing ,but showed me he's still a high school coach. He has until Sept. 6th to name a starting QB as far as I'm concerned.
-
The dumbest decision was playing two series and switching out qb's. How is anyone going to get into any rhythm like that, especially with all the hype surrounding Johnny Football. Neither looked comfortable, and both were pressing, which showed Pettine absolutely nothing ,but showed me he's still a high school coach. He has until Sept. 6th to name a starting QB as far as I'm concerned.
The dumbest decision was playing two series and switching out qb's. How is anyone going to get into any rhythm like that, especially with all the hype surrounding Johnny Football. Neither looked comfortable, and both were pressing, which showed Pettine absolutely nothing ,but showed me he's still a high school coach. He has until Sept. 6th to name a starting QB as far as I'm concerned.
exactly. You have two guys that arent familiar with what is supposedly an extremely complicated system and neither one has gotten enough reps in practice or preseason to get used to it. Doesn't sound like ia very good plan to me.
It isn't good for either of them.
We
-
choose huh?
if Tom Brady was our QB last night he would of flipped off his own coaches.....
-
4 observations:
1. The R side of the O line is in big time trouble especially at T. Feet are just not there.
2. I agree with those above who say Pettine screwed this up with the 2 possession rotation. He should have honestly given JM all 1st team reps the whole week and given him all the 1st team reps in the game just as he did for Hoyer the 1st game. This was unfair to all concerned and doomed to utter failure for both QBs.
3. The Browns D will have to carry the season until the O line is fixed. Watch the waiver wire very carefully for a RT. otherwise that is the first person to draft next year.
4. Goes without saying the WRs once again did not help the QBs. However that is only secondary to a better O line.
-
We're so desperate at QB, that people are calling for Shaw? Really? Did these people watch the game or just look at the stats?
Yes, we're already splitting time with the ones for twoQBs, lets split it into thirds now!
Start Hoyer. Johnny panics too much. He needs time to learn.
-
We're so desperate at QB, that people are calling for Shaw? Really? Did these people watch the game or just look at the stats?
Yes, we're already splitting time with the ones for twoQBs, lets split it into thirds now!
Start Hoyer. Johnny panics too much. He needs time to learn.
Hopefully no one is serious about him. Name your starter and be done with it, although judging from last night that will be hardWe're so desperate at QB, that people are calling for Shaw? Really? Did these people watch the game or just look at the stats?
Yes, we're already splitting time with the ones for twoQBs, lets split it into thirds now!
Start Hoyer. Johnny panics too much. He needs time to learn.
-
Johnny is not quite there yet, he's going to be the better QB, but it is time to think about the 2104 season which starts in less than three weeks. Tell Hoyer he's the man, tell 21 yo old Johnny to "be ready", install Hoyer as your leader and be done with it.
Steelers, Saints and Ravens to start the season ... those teams do not fuck around ... so it is time for us to stop fucking around and get ready for them.
Zombo
-
For Johnny Manziel sake, he might not survive the year.
-
btw, Where the fuck was Johnny Manziel's "IMPROVISE" skill set that folks rave about?!?!
I saw NONE of that yesterday.
What i did see is a 3rd string DE chasing Manziel from behind and a QB that still don't understand how to SLIDE.
-
Yep...I think they should just name Hoyer the starter too. Clearly Johnny isnt ready....It's time to get on with preparing the team to play a real game, working on offensive timing, game planning, etc......wasting anymore time hoping for one of the QB's to flash would be, well, a waste of time....and burning the last of quality practice time to figure out the final few roster spots will not make this team better...
Im just praying our defense shows up every week, because they will be the difference between winning and losing this year......
-
Really eye-opening to see the veteran Hoyer struggle like that. Manziel needs time and probably should have stayed in school another year.
The offensive line didn't seem to play well at all, which helped neither QB.
Recievers did not look good overall.
Defense looks good, but not great.
Best thing would probably be start Hoyer and see how it goes. Get Manziel in if its a blowout game (which I dont expect).
If it's not going well, perhaps make a QB change during the bye week IF you think Mamziel is progressing satisfactorily. Otherwise, sit him until needed. Because if the Oline doesnt start playing better, he and perhaps Grossman will be needed.
I expect Shaw to be on the scout team.
-
Zombo-I agree. And it is obvious now that Shanny is no Chip Kelly. He does not know how to run a full time no huddle offense and seems unwilling to learn. When did it work? When Shaw had to run it. Shanny needs to either go to school on that O or the Browns need to trade JM to a team that uses his no huddle skills. Maybe for a quality RT?!
-
With what we saw from Shaw, I say we let him start getting some first team reps this week. I would even add Grossman to the mix (dont want him to feel left out!). Fuck....we might as well get some 'Invincible' action going on and hold some try outs in the Cleveland area, whoever wins gets added to the mix.
Then we'll have 5 QBs competing. Each QB gets 30 mins with the 1s each day, and then the fans can vote one QB off the island each week.
On a serious note, I would just start Manziel. It just makes the most sense at this point. I don't like saying that. I don't like JM. I think he looks more like a Muskrat than a professional QB, but I digress. Hoyer had a PERFECT opportunity to solidify the starting job, and he's done absolutley nothing with it. If the competition is going to be this close, then you give the tiebreaker to the rookie you just spent a 1st round pick on.
If Manziel crashes and burns, our record should be bad enough to get a very high pick next year. Don't trade down, and just take the best QB left.
-
Dear Coach Pettine,
I know you hoped the decision would be obvious after tonite. But sometimes things just do not work out as well as we'd like them.
The one thing that was obvious is that you need to name a starting QB.
It's time to chose.
Sincerely,
Tour2ma
P.S. I do like your defense.
Pressure might have gotten to both of them tonight.
Pressure might have gotten to both of them tonight.
Certainly in Hoyer's case...
1. The R side of the O line is in big time trouble especially at T. Feet are just not there.
Been saying that since draft day 2012. Schwartz cannot handle a speed rush and focuses on it so hard that he becomes susceptible to the bull rush.
Have not broken down the tape yet, but Wallace (LT2) has shown the feet in the past.
-
Pressure might have gotten to both of them tonight.
Certainly in Hoyer's case...
1. The R side of the O line is in big time trouble especially at T. Feet are just not there.
Been saying that since draft day 2012. Schwartz cannot handle a speed rush and focuses on it so hard that he becomes susceptible to the bull rush.
Have not broken down the tape yet, but Wallace (LT2) has shown the feet in the past.
Been saying that since draft day 2012. Schwartz cannot handle a speed rush and focuses on it so hard that he becomes susceptible to the bull rush.
Have not broken down the tape yet, but Wallace (LT2) has shown the feet in the past.
Tour-well at least the browns have 2 first rounders next year to fix that problem. I'd give Wallace a chance to move up because Schwartz is clearly not the answer. He got both QB's sacked in the first three possessions. Not good.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login