Skip to content

What does Jim O'Neil bring to the party

The Browns Board
13 10 504
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Another thread discussed "This Organization". And I noted that the main men in this organization were Haslam, GM Farmer,HC Pettine, OC Kyle Shanahan......and then I had to stop and think....and then actually look up the name of the Browns DC. That being Jim O'Neil. And it struck me that this guy is a complete unknown quantity...at least to me. Yet he is one of the top 3 coaches on this team.

    So, what does the very much unknown Jim O'Neil bring to this party? Does anyone have any dope on him? (maybe I should not use that term....how about what's the scoop with this guy?)

    In the past there has been all kinds of hullabaloo about our DCs, Horton, etc. No hullabaloo so far for O'Neil.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I cant say I know much about him or have any inside info, but I'll speculate that he brings us Mike Pettines defense, while allowing MP to focus on just being the HC .....

    I think he'll be a real good fit as he and Pettine share the same philosophy.....hard nosed, black and blue football....

    Shanahan....hmmm....not so sure he will be a good fit with these 2. He likes complex gimmicks and trickery, while they would rather just play straight ahead smash mouth football.....only time will tell how well they can co-exist.......

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    He was one of Pettine's assistants in Buffalo and back in New York. He played D-line at Towson and coached there for a year... maybe influenced our T.West pick.

    I know with the Bills he was the linebackers coach, last season.

    He is most likely a smart guy with a good attitude who Pettine wants to groom for a couple years so he can hand over play-calling duties to somebody he taught directly. O'neil brings no specific philosophy, so he is a "blank slate" for Pettine to mold into the guy he wants.

  • He was one of Pettine's assistants in Buffalo and back in New York. He played D-line at Towson and coached there for a year... maybe influenced our T.West pick.

    I know with the Bills he was the linebackers coach, last season.

    He is most likely a smart guy with a good attitude who Pettine wants to groom for a couple years so he can hand over play-calling duties to somebody he taught directly. O'neil brings no specific philosophy, so he is a "blank slate" for Pettine to mold into the guy he wants.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @thenew23 said:

    I know with the Bills he was the linebackers coach, last season.

    He is most likely a smart guy with a good attitude who Pettine wants to groom for a couple years so he can hand over play-calling duties to somebody he taught directly.

    That's key... Pettine is still calling the D, but undoubtedly with O'Neil in his ear.

    Only thing I'd add is that along the way O'Neil must have impressed Pettine with his scheme input and ability to break down an opponent.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #5

    He is Pettine's protégée as Pettine was Rex Ryan's protégée who is the son of Buddy Ryan who created the great 46 defense. So we should go 15-1.

    Or, 4-12/5-11 like Rob Ryan did in Cleveland.

    Z

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #6

    With Pettine still calling the D, I would guess Jim brings the pizza and coke.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #7

    He was the DL or LB coach in Buffalo with Pettine. Pettine is installing the D, and needs a guy who already knows it to help him. He's doing the same with O'Neil as Rex did with Pettine, making him DC while still calling the plays, grooming him to take over.

    He also like Mingo, a lot, apparently.

  • He was the DL or LB coach in Buffalo with Pettine. Pettine is installing the D, and needs a guy who already knows it to help him. He's doing the same with O'Neil as Rex did with Pettine, making him DC while still calling the plays, grooming him to take over.

    He also like Mingo, a lot, apparently.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @gftchris said:

    He also like Mingo, a lot, apparently.

    He has to... only 3-down OLB on the roster...

    Sorry... can't help myself...

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #9

    How has Mingo done pre-season, I still have high hopes for him.

  • How has Mingo done pre-season, I still have high hopes for him.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @londonbrown said:

    How has Mingo done pre-season, I still have high hopes for him.

    Seems to have done pretty good. Fitting well into the rotation.

  • With Pettine still calling the D, I would guess Jim brings the pizza and coke.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #11

    @d-bone said:

    With Pettine still calling the D, I would guess Jim brings the pizza and coke.

    HA!

    yeah i mean pettine is obviously calling the D plays.

    maybe o'brien is competing with manziel now for the starting ball washer position.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I still like MIngo but he's in there precisely for games where we face mobile qb's. Yes I know RG is the best of the best right now...but Mingo looked lost in the tall weeds trying to contain RG. I honestly thought MIngo was athletic enough to at least make RG have to exert himself a little bit to get away from.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #13

    i saw mingo getting held on almost every play, which wasn't called unlike the umpteen defensive holding calls on our D.

    sure i think he could've/should've been able to break the hold if was a little stronger up top. but he looked way better than that over priced schlub kruger.