Skip to content

Schwartz..

The Browns Board
140 36 6.2k
  • @thenew23 said:

    I get it... you've never watched the Browns until the last 3 preseason games. I hope you don't mind if I value your opinion about as highly as I value used toilet paper...

    He has started rough and finished well the past 2 seasons. Hopefully his rough start is out of his system. It's not easy to upgrade Schwartz, unless you want to use a 1st round pick on a RT...

    Actually that is exactly what I would do. If someone is going to cost 2-3 games a year because he starts slow, then trade him off AFTER upgrading with a 1st rounder. No real contender can afford slow starters with slow feet.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Actually that is exactly what I would do. If someone is going to cost 2-3 games a year because he starts slow, then trade him off AFTER upgrading with a 1st rounder. No real contender can afford slow starters with slow feet.

    It's close to time for that move. Joe Thomas still has a few good years, but at some point drafting his heir to play RT for a couple years will be the move to make.

    That or actually use a late round draft pick to take a chance on a problem child... say like Seantrel Henderson.

    @manzier said:

    Schwartz WAS a high draft choice, has started from day one and is only starting his third season now. O lines take time to gel. O linemen take time to develop. Give him a chance to grow. I think he'll be fine.

    Yup... and a wasted choice IMO... said so at the time... been saying so ever since.

    It's not a learning disability or a "gel" issue... it's lack of quicks... and you can't teach "quick".

    We game planned help for him last year. It's the reason his numbers improved. When you have to compensate for one OL's deficiencies, it exposes the rest of your line unnecessarily... This year it's why Greco, our best OG, was moved to the right side. You simply could not put a rookie OG next to "the Schwartz"...

    If Bito continues to improve and plays well we may get away with it, but it has cost us a dominant side we can go to...

    BTW... I called Greco's move before it was announced...

  • I hope he proves to be as good as you think. I just have huge doubts. One of us will be wrong and I really hope for Hoyers' sake it proves to be me. We'll certainly find out during those first 3 games. One hellofatest that's one thing for sure.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I hope he proves to be as good as you think. I just have huge doubts. One of us will be wrong and I really hope for Hoyers' sake it proves to be me. We'll certainly find out during those first 3 games. One hellofatest that's one thing for sure.

    I dont think I said "how good" I think he would be. Not dumb enough to say what I dont know. I said he hasn't proven to be bad and there is no good reason to burn a first round pick next year on a position with a 2 year solid starter whose numbers are good AND another good prospect already in waiting.

    Im not making predictions on his play, esp while we're in preseason, but most people would expect a 3 rd year player to improve and he's already middle of the pack. Sure dont remember this discussion from last season.

    In fact, at this time last year, the word was he killed it his rookie year and rated out in the top 1/2 of the league for tackles. he had only 5 sacks in 16 games as a rookie and 2 came in the first game. Do the math. Thats 1 sack every 3 games, not 3 sacks every 1 game. And its also proof that he started rough but also fixed it right away.

    This whole overreaction is all based on a few bad plays during some practice games. People need to get over it and find someone new to hate.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I hope he proves to be as good as you think. I just have huge doubts. One of us will be wrong and I really hope for Hoyers' sake it proves to be me. We'll certainly find out during those first 3 games. One hellofatest that's one thing for sure.

    I dont think I said "how good" I think he would be. Not dumb enough to say what I dont know. I said he hasn't proven to be bad and there is no good reason to burn a first round pick next year on a position with a 2 year solid starter whose numbers are good AND another good prospect already in waiting.

    Im not making predictions on his play, esp while we're in preseason, but most people would expect a 3 rd year player to improve and he's already middle of the pack. Sure dont remember this discussion from last season.

    In fact, at this time last year, the word was he killed it his rookie year and rated out in the top 1/2 of the league for tackles. he had only 5 sacks in 16 games as a rookie and 2 came in the first game. Do the math. Thats 1 sack every 3 games, not 3 sacks every 1 game. And its also proof that he started rough but also fixed it right away.

    This whole overreaction is all based on a few bad plays during some practice games. People need to get over it and find someone new to hate.

    @manzier said:

    This whole overreaction is all based on a few bad plays during some practice games. People need to get over it and find someone new to hate.

    Either that or actually recording the games and grading the linemen for the past two years... at least that is what one of us did.

  • I don't hate him. I just don't think he is a top level RT which the Browns really need if they want to remain a power controlled offense. They need another Joe Thomas there and that player is not on the team. Like I said I think he could be a pretty decent RG, just not the answer at RT. I think the season will show that to be correct. Sorry but I believe you build great teams with great linemen, not just good or solid players who are just above the middle of the pack.

  • I don't hate him. I just don't think he is a top level RT which the Browns really need if they want to remain a power controlled offense. They need another Joe Thomas there and that player is not on the team. Like I said I think he could be a pretty decent RG, just not the answer at RT. I think the season will show that to be correct. Sorry but I believe you build great teams with great linemen, not just good or solid players who are just above the middle of the pack.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I don't hate him. I just don't think he is a top level RT which the Browns really need if they want to remain a power controlled offense. They need another Joe Thomas there and that player is not on the team. Like I said I think he could be a pretty decent RG, just not the answer at RT. I think the season will show that to be correct. Sorry but I believe you build great teams with great linemen, not just good or solid players who are just above the middle of the pack.

    On this we agree. I still think we should have taken a stud tackle and a receiver in the first round of the 2014 draft , that said I know opinions are like a-holes lol, we all have one

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I don't hate him. I just don't think he is a top level RT which the Browns really need if they want to remain a power controlled offense. They need another Joe Thomas there and that player is not on the team. Like I said I think he could be a pretty decent RG, just not the answer at RT. I think the season will show that to be correct. Sorry but I believe you build great teams with great linemen, not just good or solid players who are just above the middle of the pack.

    On this we agree. I still think we should have taken a stud tackle and a receiver in the first round of the 2014 draft , that said I know opinions are like a-holes lol, we all have one

    @jcam222 said:

    On this we agree. I still think we should have taken a stud tackle and a receiver in the first round of the 2014 draft , that said I know opinions are like a-holes lol, we all have one

    And most of them stink.

    🙂

    WSS

  • dear god did any of you notice how bad mcquistan is? His butt was in JF's lap every single play. That was ridiculous. God help us if our starting LG goes down.

  • Can't have all pros at every position. He's notoriously a slow starter but picks up as the season goes on. We got other more pressing issues than replacing an average RT.

  • dear god did any of you notice how bad mcquistan is? His butt was in JF's lap every single play. That was ridiculous. God help us if our starting LG goes down.

    @clevfan4life said:

    dear god did any of you notice how bad mcquistan is? His butt was in JF's lap every single play. That was ridiculous. God help us if our starting LG goes down.

    They shuffled everything around last nite... had Wallace inside at LG next to McQ...

    Looking for two things I'd guess. Second stringer O-line candidates at any position and who has the versatility to help them stick.

    Aside from Gilkey, and maybe Parsons, our backups have not shown well this pre-season.

  • I told you he would cost this team a game.

  • He didn't. Don't attempt to pin it on him. I can point to the myriad of missed holding calls and the obvious fucked up spot on the punt that should have put Pittsburgh inside their own 1.

  • I don't think Schwartz cost us the game either, but will be a day or so before I grade the line.

    Now about that punt... player + ball + (player's shoulder on goal line) = touchback

  • I told you he would cost this team a game.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I told you he would cost this team a game.

    Nah- the defense playing like it was still preseason in the first half cost us the game. Add the offense into that equation.

    Dully noted Schwartz got blown up on a couple of plays. If I saw it, the coaches saw it.

  • I don't think Schwartz cost us the game either, but will be a day or so before I grade the line.

    Now about that punt... player + ball + (player's shoulder on goal line) = touchback

    @tour2ma said:

    I don't think Schwartz cost us the game either, but will be a day or so before I grade the line.

    Now about that punt... player + ball + (player's shoulder on goal line) = touchback

    Said player hit the ground with possession then his shoulder touched the goal line as he rolled a little. Should have been down at the half yard line.

    Let's not get into the missed holding calls along that Steelers Oline. It was bad.

  • Not that I noticed Schwartz beasting or anything on his side, but relatively speaking to past performances of his and the o line in general..he/they didn't do a terrible job. How is someone saying Scwartz cost us this game?

  • I guess none of you saw him blown back into Hoyer at the key point in the game so we had to kick out of the endzone and give pukesburg a short field to move in for the winning fg.

    Go back and watch the last possession. He did cost it in crunch time as I predicted would happen some time ago.

  • He'll be fine. Preseason is for making mistakes. The entire offense is gobbling down a new system, they'll get in sync for Pittsburgh.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    He'll be fine. Preseason is for making mistakes. The entire offense is gobbling down a new system, they'll get in sync for Pittsburgh.

    Zombo

    Fuckin lol. You watch the game today? It was a regular season game. Schwartz graded out as an F. Cost us time and time again. Replace him this is a good OL.

    What's your BS excuse now?

  • STFU. i don't like schwartz either but the line seemed to hold in the second half......correct?

    how about the pussy run the ball up the snout calls in the first half? sure establish a run game but can we have hoyer throw the ball on 1st or 2nd and not just telegraph a run the rest of the way?

  • I guess none of you saw him blown back into Hoyer at the key point in the game so we had to kick out of the endzone and give pukesburg a short field to move in for the winning fg.

    Go back and watch the last possession. He did cost it in crunch time as I predicted would happen some time ago.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I guess none of you saw him blown back into Hoyer at the key point in the game so we had to kick out of the endzone and give pukesburg a short field to move in for the winning fg.

    Go back and watch the last possession. He did cost it in crunch time as I predicted would happen some time ago.

    But didn't he hop backwards on one leg nicely? At least until Hoyer got in his way! That was sad.

    I find it hard to believe we don't have better than Schwartz at RT. I just don't see any FIGHT in him.

    Mike

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I guess none of you saw him blown back into Hoyer at the key point in the game so we had to kick out of the endzone and give pukesburg a short field to move in for the winning fg.

    Go back and watch the last possession. He did cost it in crunch time as I predicted would happen some time ago.

    But didn't he hop backwards on one leg nicely? At least until Hoyer got in his way! That was sad.

    I find it hard to believe we don't have better than Schwartz at RT. I just don't see any FIGHT in him.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    But didn't he hop backwards on one leg nicely? At least until Hoyer got in his way! That was sad.

    I find it hard to believe we don't have better than Schwartz at RT. I just don't see any FIGHT in him.

    Mike

    Yes, I scored him a 9 on the hop, but a 2 for form. 😆