Here are my rookie preseason grades.
-
Justin Gilbert: D+
I have to admit, CB is the hardest position to play in the NFL so I'l give him the benefit of the doubt he's been UGLY. He looked like he didn't belong on the field last week and tonight Santonio Holmes just played him. I know it's going to take time but I hope he can improve and play much better.
Johnny Manziel: B-
Johnny Football has been either boom or bust so far this preseason. He's showed us flashes of the A&M magic and shown us horrible sporadic passing. One thing is clear, he makes plays with his feet but has to throw much much much better. He's been very in accurate and tonight proved that he might not be ready to start for another year. I would literally give him a year to learn the ropes and let Hoyer ride this thing out as far as possible but holy shit he's exciting to watch.
Joel Bitonio: A
Amazing pick and so glad we drafted this guy. He's done everything right and wouldn't change this pick at all. He fits in so well here.
Christian Kirksey: A
Surprise of the draft for us. He has played amazing. He's all over the field making tackles, batting down balls, and making picks. He will see big playing time along side Dansby/Robertson. He's fast and quick and hits with some punch.
Terrance West: C
MEH. He's not special in anyone area. Reminds me of TR, just dances way too much, isn't real fast, and doesn't stand out to me. He's the one pick that I haven't really liked so far. Crowell is better.
Pierre Desir: Incomplete
I haven't seen enough to even make a fair assessment.
Crowell - Tonight he showed burst and hit the hole and earned himself a spot on the roster. I hope he's our #2 back behind West because he has burst and speed.
Gabriel - Will make a great shifty slot WR, glad we got this guy. He's starting material.
From around the league:
Borltes - Looks like the real deal and the best of the rookie QB bunch
Bridgewater - Looks very sharp and accurate
Carr - Looked great tonight
-
This is a pretty spot on assessment. It's going to be interesting to see what WRs we keep. Snead, Gabriel, and Johnson all show promise. I only see 2 making the cut though.
Also will be interesting to see if we keep Shaw or Grossman. Do we save the spot for a rookie who shows potential? Or a veteran backup who knows the system like the back of his hand?
-
VesnaKociper said:
Manziel a B-? Whadtafukyousmokinman?
Yes. Slightly above average for a 21 year old QB who is in his first year of running an NFL offense and no #1 receiver.
He has made some boneheaded throws and had some bad mechanics but he's also showed us what he can do with his wheels and that he can put some zip on the ball. It's just grasping control on that offense that will matter.
-
I think you are spot on with the exception of the Manziel rating. I also understand you are a fan of his so it would be natural to over grade him in my opinion. I think he is at best a C+ for someone drafted at 22 in the first round. He is going to be a much longer develpment project than someone should be when drafted at that position. I know that is not his fault , its us who again felt the need to reach at 22 in the first round.
-
I'd give a higher grade to Gilbert. Maybe in the C range. Holmes got the best of him on one play that l remember last night, but l remember a couple others that Gilbert won. And last week l think was partially the result of the Browns overemphasizing the defensive penalties, so l think he was in a mini adjustment period there, along with the rest of the defense.
Manziel gets a C as well, but improving.
Kirksey, A+. And the guy that scouted him gets a new company car.
West l might lay a D on. Just not feeling it from him right now.
A for Bitonio.
-
I put about as much stock into the preseason as I do into the actual stock market... none.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login