Skip to content

"White Privilege"

Political Discussion
40 13 1.8k
  • I think this is just another guilt complex that PC types dump on themselves. Male/white/etc. privilege (guilt).

  • There's a classic example of this if you care to look it up. A study was ran where two resumes were turned in to an office, one with a "white" sounding name and one with a "black" sounding name. It was nothing overt like Quantavious, but it's clear when you read it that one name was perceived as white. The "black" candidate was given much better credentials than the "white" candidate, yet the "white" candidate was chosen almost a significant more amount of the time. When asked why, most recruiters noted the "white" candidate sounded more reliable and responsible. Mind you these people knew nothing about the candidates. Again, things you are pointing to are overt. Both white and black men and women are born into crappy situations, but I am playing with loaded dice.

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    Black citizens are still coming out of the ghetto and poverty situations. I laugh when people throw out the American Dream nonsense and like it's some amazingly easy thing to just leave that life when it includes family and friends. White poverty is seen as people trying to make ends meet while black poverty is seen as a bunch of thugs who can't do better for themselves. It's a double standard that if you don't believe I can't really prove over the internet.

    Lastly, look at the positions of power and influence and see the disparity. If you have kids, how many of their teachers are black or another minority? How many top level executives are a minority? Barack Obama is black sure but what he actually does is limited by, you guessed it, a group of white men. It's a subconscious realization that the people in power are white and look out for the interest of their own. The only thing other thing I'll say is I'm not suggesting we're still in slave times and on the whole society is getting better. BUT, white men still hold the keys to the car. It's a hard wall to break down but I hope you consider it. I'm not gonna keep going with it all but I won't squash your beliefs either. Have a good day.

  • There's a classic example of this if you care to look it up. A study was ran where two resumes were turned in to an office, one with a "white" sounding name and one with a "black" sounding name. It was nothing overt like Quantavious, but it's clear when you read it that one name was perceived as white. The "black" candidate was given much better credentials than the "white" candidate, yet the "white" candidate was chosen almost a significant more amount of the time. When asked why, most recruiters noted the "white" candidate sounded more reliable and responsible. Mind you these people knew nothing about the candidates. Again, things you are pointing to are overt. Both white and black men and women are born into crappy situations, but I am playing with loaded dice.

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    Black citizens are still coming out of the ghetto and poverty situations. I laugh when people throw out the American Dream nonsense and like it's some amazingly easy thing to just leave that life when it includes family and friends. White poverty is seen as people trying to make ends meet while black poverty is seen as a bunch of thugs who can't do better for themselves. It's a double standard that if you don't believe I can't really prove over the internet.

    Lastly, look at the positions of power and influence and see the disparity. If you have kids, how many of their teachers are black or another minority? How many top level executives are a minority? Barack Obama is black sure but what he actually does is limited by, you guessed it, a group of white men. It's a subconscious realization that the people in power are white and look out for the interest of their own. The only thing other thing I'll say is I'm not suggesting we're still in slave times and on the whole society is getting better. BUT, white men still hold the keys to the car. It's a hard wall to break down but I hope you consider it. I'm not gonna keep going with it all but I won't squash your beliefs either. Have a good day.

    @jrb12711 said:

    There's a classic example of this if you care to look it up. A study was ran where two resumes were turned in to an office, one with a "white" sounding name and one with a "black" sounding name. It was nothing overt like Quantavious, but it's clear when you read it that one name was perceived as white. The "black" candidate was given much better credentials than the "white" candidate, yet the "white" candidate was chosen almost a significant more amount of the time. When asked why, most recruiters noted the "white" candidate sounded more reliable and responsible. Mind you these people knew nothing about the candidates. Again, things you are pointing to are overt. Both white and black men and women are born into crappy situations, but I am playing with loaded dice.

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    Black citizens are still coming out of the ghetto and poverty situations. I laugh when people throw out the American Dream nonsense and like it's some amazingly easy thing to just leave that life when it includes family and friends. White poverty is seen as people trying to make ends meet while black poverty is seen as a bunch of thugs who can't do better for themselves. It's a double standard that if you don't believe I can't really prove over the internet.

    Lastly, look at the positions of power and influence and see the disparity. If you have kids, how many of their teachers are black or another minority? How many top level executives are a minority? Barack Obama is black sure but what he actually does is limited by, you guessed it, a group of white men. It's a subconscious realization that the people in power are white and look out for the interest of their own. The only thing other thing I'll say is I'm not suggesting we're still in slave times and on the whole society is getting better. BUT, white men still hold the keys to the car. It's a hard wall to break down but I hope you consider it. I'm not gonna keep going with it all but I won't squash your beliefs either. Have a good day.

    Ah, you're 24. That explains it. It's what you were taught in school.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    There's a classic example of this if you care to look it up. A study was ran where two resumes were turned in to an office, one with a "white" sounding name and one with a "black" sounding name. It was nothing overt like Quantavious, but it's clear when you read it that one name was perceived as white. The "black" candidate was given much better credentials than the "white" candidate, yet the "white" candidate was chosen almost a significant more amount of the time. When asked why, most recruiters noted the "white" candidate sounded more reliable and responsible. Mind you these people knew nothing about the candidates. Again, things you are pointing to are overt. Both white and black men and women are born into crappy situations, but I am playing with loaded dice.

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    Black citizens are still coming out of the ghetto and poverty situations. I laugh when people throw out the American Dream nonsense and like it's some amazingly easy thing to just leave that life when it includes family and friends. White poverty is seen as people trying to make ends meet while black poverty is seen as a bunch of thugs who can't do better for themselves. It's a double standard that if you don't believe I can't really prove over the internet.

    Lastly, look at the positions of power and influence and see the disparity. If you have kids, how many of their teachers are black or another minority? How many top level executives are a minority? Barack Obama is black sure but what he actually does is limited by, you guessed it, a group of white men. It's a subconscious realization that the people in power are white and look out for the interest of their own. The only thing other thing I'll say is I'm not suggesting we're still in slave times and on the whole society is getting better. BUT, white men still hold the keys to the car. It's a hard wall to break down but I hope you consider it. I'm not gonna keep going with it all but I won't squash your beliefs either. Have a good day.

    Ah, you're 24. That explains it. It's what you were taught in school.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Ah, you're 24. That explains it. It's what you were taught in school.

    I'm confused how that changes the objective information I posted above.

  • Why is it amazingly hard to leave that life when it includes family and friends? Is that not what every member of the military white or black do? Leave their friends and families behind to pursue new opportunities?

  • What do you consider top level executives? Almost every city in the country has top level black executives. If you mean Apple and Microsoft and Boeing etc...well...you have to be qualified to get there.

  • If we're so racist why do Indians and Asians not seem to have the same employment issues black people do? Why is it blacks are the only ones who seem to have mass troubles in finding gainful employment? Is it partially, I don't know, their fault?

  • Good luck jrb

  • I thought you were done with this board. Stick to your guns.

  • Good luck jrb

    @mld-woody said:

    Good luck jrb

    You're a guilt ridden elitist and should turn in your man card, ya fucking pussy

  • There's a classic example of this if you care to look it up. A study was ran where two resumes were turned in to an office, one with a "white" sounding name and one with a "black" sounding name. It was nothing overt like Quantavious, but it's clear when you read it that one name was perceived as white. The "black" candidate was given much better credentials than the "white" candidate, yet the "white" candidate was chosen almost a significant more amount of the time. When asked why, most recruiters noted the "white" candidate sounded more reliable and responsible. Mind you these people knew nothing about the candidates. Again, things you are pointing to are overt. Both white and black men and women are born into crappy situations, but I am playing with loaded dice.

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    Black citizens are still coming out of the ghetto and poverty situations. I laugh when people throw out the American Dream nonsense and like it's some amazingly easy thing to just leave that life when it includes family and friends. White poverty is seen as people trying to make ends meet while black poverty is seen as a bunch of thugs who can't do better for themselves. It's a double standard that if you don't believe I can't really prove over the internet.

    Lastly, look at the positions of power and influence and see the disparity. If you have kids, how many of their teachers are black or another minority? How many top level executives are a minority? Barack Obama is black sure but what he actually does is limited by, you guessed it, a group of white men. It's a subconscious realization that the people in power are white and look out for the interest of their own. The only thing other thing I'll say is I'm not suggesting we're still in slave times and on the whole society is getting better. BUT, white men still hold the keys to the car. It's a hard wall to break down but I hope you consider it. I'm not gonna keep going with it all but I won't squash your beliefs either. Have a good day.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    And they say its the white man I should fear, but its my own kind doin' all the killin here.

  • There's a classic example of this if you care to look it up. A study was ran where two resumes were turned in to an office, one with a "white" sounding name and one with a "black" sounding name. It was nothing overt like Quantavious, but it's clear when you read it that one name was perceived as white. The "black" candidate was given much better credentials than the "white" candidate, yet the "white" candidate was chosen almost a significant more amount of the time. When asked why, most recruiters noted the "white" candidate sounded more reliable and responsible. Mind you these people knew nothing about the candidates. Again, things you are pointing to are overt. Both white and black men and women are born into crappy situations, but I am playing with loaded dice.

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    Black citizens are still coming out of the ghetto and poverty situations. I laugh when people throw out the American Dream nonsense and like it's some amazingly easy thing to just leave that life when it includes family and friends. White poverty is seen as people trying to make ends meet while black poverty is seen as a bunch of thugs who can't do better for themselves. It's a double standard that if you don't believe I can't really prove over the internet.

    Lastly, look at the positions of power and influence and see the disparity. If you have kids, how many of their teachers are black or another minority? How many top level executives are a minority? Barack Obama is black sure but what he actually does is limited by, you guessed it, a group of white men. It's a subconscious realization that the people in power are white and look out for the interest of their own. The only thing other thing I'll say is I'm not suggesting we're still in slave times and on the whole society is getting better. BUT, white men still hold the keys to the car. It's a hard wall to break down but I hope you consider it. I'm not gonna keep going with it all but I won't squash your beliefs either. Have a good day.

    @jrb12711 said:

    There's a classic example of this if you care to look it up. A study was ran where two resumes were turned in to an office, one with a "white" sounding name and one with a "black" sounding name. It was nothing overt like Quantavious, but it's clear when you read it that one name was perceived as white. The "black" candidate was given much better credentials than the "white" candidate, yet the "white" candidate was chosen almost a significant more amount of the time. When asked why, most recruiters noted the "white" candidate sounded more reliable and responsible. Mind you these people knew nothing about the candidates. Again, things you are pointing to are overt. Both white and black men and women are born into crappy situations, but I am playing with loaded dice.

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    Black citizens are still coming out of the ghetto and poverty situations. I laugh when people throw out the American Dream nonsense and like it's some amazingly easy thing to just leave that life when it includes family and friends. White poverty is seen as people trying to make ends meet while black poverty is seen as a bunch of thugs who can't do better for themselves. It's a double standard that if you don't believe I can't really prove over the internet.

    Lastly, look at the positions of power and influence and see the disparity. If you have kids, how many of their teachers are black or another minority? How many top level executives are a minority? Barack Obama is black sure but what he actually does is limited by, you guessed it, a group of white men. It's a subconscious realization that the people in power are white and look out for the interest of their own. The only thing other thing I'll say is I'm not suggesting we're still in slave times and on the whole society is getting better. BUT, white men still hold the keys to the car. It's a hard wall to break down but I hope you consider it. I'm not gonna keep going with it all but I won't squash your beliefs either. Have a good day.

    For some perspective, I recommend a drive into an Appalachian "holler" say in Kentucky or West Virginia. Then inform your peer group of how you spent your weekend. See if their responses aren't bigoted and narrow-minded
  • I'm a white man and I have never heard of "White Privilege"

    I do however feel privileged that I have a mother and father that have been together for all 44 of my years.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    There's a classic example of this if you care to look it up. A study was ran where two resumes were turned in to an office, one with a "white" sounding name and one with a "black" sounding name. It was nothing overt like Quantavious, but it's clear when you read it that one name was perceived as white. The "black" candidate was given much better credentials than the "white" candidate, yet the "white" candidate was chosen almost a significant more amount of the time. When asked why, most recruiters noted the "white" candidate sounded more reliable and responsible. Mind you these people knew nothing about the candidates. Again, things you are pointing to are overt. Both white and black men and women are born into crappy situations, but I am playing with loaded dice.

    Cops have reported that by in large they trust white people to be safer and easier to trust. the common response to that is to show those statistics of who is committing crimes which always has black men at the top, yada yada. But for the one gang-banging black man there's 10 who are just normal people. However, it's a subconscious belief that they more dangerous when most are law-abiding citizens just like you and me.

    Black citizens are still coming out of the ghetto and poverty situations. I laugh when people throw out the American Dream nonsense and like it's some amazingly easy thing to just leave that life when it includes family and friends. White poverty is seen as people trying to make ends meet while black poverty is seen as a bunch of thugs who can't do better for themselves. It's a double standard that if you don't believe I can't really prove over the internet.

    Lastly, look at the positions of power and influence and see the disparity. If you have kids, how many of their teachers are black or another minority? How many top level executives are a minority? Barack Obama is black sure but what he actually does is limited by, you guessed it, a group of white men. It's a subconscious realization that the people in power are white and look out for the interest of their own. The only thing other thing I'll say is I'm not suggesting we're still in slave times and on the whole society is getting better. BUT, white men still hold the keys to the car. It's a hard wall to break down but I hope you consider it. I'm not gonna keep going with it all but I won't squash your beliefs either. Have a good day.

    For some perspective, I recommend a drive into an Appalachian "holler" say in Kentucky or West Virginia. Then inform your peer group of how you spent your weekend. See if their responses aren't bigoted and narrow-minded

    @legacy-fan said:

    For some perspective, I recommend a drive into an Appalachian "holler" say in Kentucky or West Virginia. Then inform your peer group of how you spent your weekend. See if their responses aren't bigoted and narrow-minded

    I could drive an hour into a "holler" in Logan Co., WV. I am sure they are beating themselves up over how privileged they are.

  • I'm a white man and I have never heard of "White Privilege"

    I do however feel privileged that I have a mother and father that have been together for all 44 of my years.

    @browns149 said:

    I'm a white man and I have never heard of "White Privilege"

    I do however feel privileged that I have a mother and father that have been together for all 44 of my years.

    Well I was going to post something similar to that.

    However even more important than an intact family I would suggest the important part is that whatever family you have is supportive and encouraging you to succeed and learn. That could be a single parent, a grandparent an aunt and uncle, one of the above...

    Also that encouragement should come from example. You know, like working for whatever it is you have and not blaming your lack of success on someone else.

    Every American human being with at least average intelligence has the capacity for success no matter what their race or locale.

    WSS

  • Last Post: Honestly, I respect everyone's opinion because this whole thing is a tough nut to crack. And frankly typing this over the internet doesn't work in helping me point my feelings towards it all. I will say this: every time you look at this situation as "feeling guilty" or "being racist" you're missing the true point of it all. The media (looking at you CNN) paints an entirely different picture of this concept when things like Ferguson come up. I don't, and have never, felt guilty. I've never felt like a racist or that I should hand things to minorities because I as a white man should feel bad.

    I choose to believe through empirical data and looking at the world around me that as of 2014 people like me (white men) have the decked stacked in their favor. That doesn't mean I'm devoid of conditions or get a pass on life. If you see things differently, to quote the Big Lebowski. "well that's like uh, your opinion man". I'm not going to try and bleed a turnip because your life experiences play a huge factor in all this.

    P.S. If by Indians you meant Native Americans, I just want to point out that outside the Cherokee (the casino guys) Native Americans are by in large the most oppressed, undereducated and poverty stricken group of citizens in the United States. I would encourage you to look up some documentaries on the subject because it's quite eye opening.

    Also, Go Browns?!

  • I think he meant Indians from India who outperform the average here in America on a regular basis.

    In my opinion the Native Americans have been destroyed by the practice of Balkanization, setting them apart from the rest of society, and treating them more like pets than human beings.

    WSS

  • I am indeed talking about indians. If I were talking about "Native Americans". I'd have said "American Indians".

    American Indians are doing poorly. They lost their war and their lands but I can't help them with that. What's done is done. Like the blacks it's time to throw away their old resentments and move forward. Nothing is PREVENTING them from being successful except their own attitudes about life. Nobody has a hiring policy where blacks and American Indians need not apply. Those days are over.

  • Ned Beatty was "privileged" to receive that unsolicited butt plug.