Skip to content

Please, for the love of God, Stay with the NO HUDDLE

The Browns Board
33 16 984
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    The issue isn't so much the athletes or the conditioning, but its a huge cause for injury concern. You have bigger, faster players and you're giving them warp speed reps on both sides of the ball. Its a terrible idea.

    Also, a giant negative for your defense. Lets say you go out and have a bad 1st half like the Brownies did, only you're running up tempo every series. There isn't a chance in hell your defense comes out in the 2nd half

    with their wind. It just isn't practical over the course of a season in the NFL. A full game? Yeah, maybe. However, much like anything else, up tempo has a time and a place. The Browns executed quite well, to their benefit on

    Sunday. I'd prefer that it not be the norm.

  • Anyone with a working brain could see how much better the offense looked, how much more in sync and in rhythm it was working out of the no huddle. If the Browns go back to the huddle I'm done with them for the rest of my life.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #23

    @soju said:

    Anyone with a working brain could see how much better the offense looked, how much more in sync and in rhythm it was working out of the no huddle. If the Browns go back to the huddle I'm done with them for the rest of my life.

    The offense the browns ran on Sunday is not sustainable exclusively for an entire season. I'd be curious to see how many seconds there were between plays. The eagles try and get cute and run a ton of plays in a small time frame and its blown up in their face. I read there were a few plays Sunday were the browns had snapped the ball before the steelers had the play call in. Sure they can run the wheels off their healthy running backs but a no huddle at that pace isn't sustainable AND the opposition adjusts week to week. It worked Sunday because it was a surprise. Edit: I see others have said the same.

  • The issue isn't so much the athletes or the conditioning, but its a huge cause for injury concern. You have bigger, faster players and you're giving them warp speed reps on both sides of the ball. Its a terrible idea.

    Also, a giant negative for your defense. Lets say you go out and have a bad 1st half like the Brownies did, only you're running up tempo every series. There isn't a chance in hell your defense comes out in the 2nd half

    with their wind. It just isn't practical over the course of a season in the NFL. A full game? Yeah, maybe. However, much like anything else, up tempo has a time and a place. The Browns executed quite well, to their benefit on

    Sunday. I'd prefer that it not be the norm.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @tiamat63 said:

    The issue isn't so much the athletes or the conditioning, but its a huge cause for injury concern. You have bigger, faster players and you're giving them warp speed reps on both sides of the ball. Its a terrible idea.

    Also, a giant negative for your defense. Lets say you go out and have a bad 1st half like the Brownies did, only you're running up tempo every series. There isn't a chance in hell your defense comes out in the 2nd half

    with their wind. It just isn't practical over the course of a season in the NFL. A full game? Yeah, maybe. However, much like anything else, up tempo has a time and a place. The Browns executed quite well, to their benefit on

    Sunday. I'd prefer that it not be the norm.

    I see you are buying into Nick Saban complaint about injuries. It's totally unfounded. A&M has kept track to see if there were increased injuries since they run their practices exactly the way they run their games. No difference whatsoever. Now Saban is experimenting with it since he obviously has a hard time stopping it with his "NFL" defenses.

    It's the future in the NFL so either ride the wave or get swallowed by it.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The issue isn't so much the athletes or the conditioning, but its a huge cause for injury concern. You have bigger, faster players and you're giving them warp speed reps on both sides of the ball. Its a terrible idea.

    Also, a giant negative for your defense. Lets say you go out and have a bad 1st half like the Brownies did, only you're running up tempo every series. There isn't a chance in hell your defense comes out in the 2nd half

    with their wind. It just isn't practical over the course of a season in the NFL. A full game? Yeah, maybe. However, much like anything else, up tempo has a time and a place. The Browns executed quite well, to their benefit on

    Sunday. I'd prefer that it not be the norm.

    I see you are buying into Nick Saban complaint about injuries. It's totally unfounded. A&M has kept track to see if there were increased injuries since they run their practices exactly the way they run their games. No difference whatsoever. Now Saban is experimenting with it since he obviously has a hard time stopping it with his "NFL" defenses.

    It's the future in the NFL so either ride the wave or get swallowed by it.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #25

    @texasag1969 said:

    I see you are buying into Nick Saban complaint about injuries. It's totally unfounded. A&M has kept track to see if there were increased injuries since they run their practices exactly the way they run their games. No difference whatsoever. Now Saban is experimenting with it since he obviously has a hard time stopping it with his "NFL" defenses.

    It's the future in the NFL so either ride the wave or get swallowed by it.

    12 games with 3/4 of your players never going to see the NFL vs the greatest athletes on the planet over the course of a minimum 16 game schedule, including the elements for many teams.

    I know you think everything at your precious College Station translates to the NFL, but it simply does not. I also noticed you conveniently left out the issue I raise of setting up your own defense for collapse.

    Unless you have the "fuck it, we'll outscore them" mentality of Chip Kelly. In which case, get back to me when that mode of thinking wins him a playoff game.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    They asked Hoyer about going with the no huddle a lot, and he said

    it wasn't practical - you can't keep up that pace throughout the game.

    So, there ya go.

    Yes you can. Texas A&M has a strength & conditioning coach whose sole job from spring through summer is get them in shape to run full speed all the time both on offense and defense.

    This is what the best O Lineman in the country looks like after Coach "Black Death" Jackson gets through with him. That's just a little bitty 220 lb. RB he's holding up here.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=cedric+ogbuehi&biw=1600&bih=763&tbm=isch&imgil=i5NwdCTprJ5ykM%253A%253Be49KqwxQiOS0kM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.nfl.com%25252Fnews%25252Fstory%25252F0ap2000000265446%25252Farticle%25252Ftexas-ams-cedric-ogbuehi-plans-to-return-for-senior-season&source=iu&fir=i5NwdCTprJ5ykM%253A%252Ce49KqwxQiOS0kM%252C_&usg=__AlnNdv9OUagl7_wQU63PB6RTWG8%3D&sa=X&ei=BiQPVKuGEqbW8AHhvYC4Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CIMBEP4dMAw#facrc=_&imgdii=i5NwdCTprJ5ykM%3A%3Beyl4egonYXBpBM%3Bi5NwdCTprJ5ykM%3A&imgrc=i5NwdCTprJ5ykM%253A%3Be49KqwxQiOS0kM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fstatic.nfl.com%252Fstatic%252Fcontent%252Fpublic%252Fphoto%252F2013%252F10%252F19%252F0ap2000000265442.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.nfl.com%252Fnews%252Fstory%252F0ap2000000265446%252Farticle%252Ftexas-ams-cedric-ogbuehi-plans-to-return-for-senior-season%3B640%3B350

    Well it switches pictures but you can click on it.

    Against SC he wasn't even winded when their defense was exhausted by the 4th quarter. Nor were any of their O linemen winded despite over 60o yds of offense.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @texasag1969 said:

    This is what the best O Lineman in the country looks like after Coach "Black Death" Jackson gets through with him.

    What's that kid's name again? I don't think you've mentioned it yet... today... 🙂

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    That will work in College, but pros I doubt it.

    Really-please tell Manning to stop breaking all those offensive records at Denver in that case. He apparently is not a Browns Board member or he would have taken advice here.

    Tour-I'm only good for one memory cell a day, so I use it wisely to help save the Browns from their next drafting mistake. LOL 😆

  • @soju said:

    Anyone with a working brain could see how much better the offense looked, how much more in sync and in rhythm it was working out of the no huddle. If the Browns go back to the huddle I'm done with them for the rest of my life.

    The offense the browns ran on Sunday is not sustainable exclusively for an entire season. I'd be curious to see how many seconds there were between plays. The eagles try and get cute and run a ton of plays in a small time frame and its blown up in their face. I read there were a few plays Sunday were the browns had snapped the ball before the steelers had the play call in. Sure they can run the wheels off their healthy running backs but a no huddle at that pace isn't sustainable AND the opposition adjusts week to week. It worked Sunday because it was a surprise. Edit: I see others have said the same.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @vagitron said:

    The offense the browns ran on Sunday is not sustainable exclusively for an entire season. I'd be curious to see how many seconds there were between plays. The eagles try and get cute and run a ton of plays in a small time frame and its blown up in their face.

    Blown up???

    I too thought Philly's extreme take on it to be a "cute" gimmick at first. But it's an interesting experiment that is not yet complete. Year one of it was more successful than I would have thought possible at the NFL level. And the way the Eagles poured it on in the second half of their opener would seem to indicate that it might be an even greater asset in year two.

    The hurry up is no panacea, but the number of teams now employing it as their predominate, offensive pace is growing.

    I have come to accept that... just so long as NFL QBs don't start looking to the sidelines for audible guidance...

  • tml1138T tml1138 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    The Ben and the Steelers have predicted more no-huddle offense for themselves. I don't watch them closely, but I heard that's what got them to 8-8 last year and out of having a losing season? Once Ben convinced Todd Haley he wanted to run no-huddle (meaning he called the plays instead of Haley).

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I see you are buying into Nick Saban complaint about injuries. It's totally unfounded. A&M has kept track to see if there were increased injuries since they run their practices exactly the way they run their games. No difference whatsoever. Now Saban is experimenting with it since he obviously has a hard time stopping it with his "NFL" defenses.

    It's the future in the NFL so either ride the wave or get swallowed by it.

    12 games with 3/4 of your players never going to see the NFL vs the greatest athletes on the planet over the course of a minimum 16 game schedule, including the elements for many teams.

    I know you think everything at your precious College Station translates to the NFL, but it simply does not. I also noticed you conveniently left out the issue I raise of setting up your own defense for collapse.

    Unless you have the "fuck it, we'll outscore them" mentality of Chip Kelly. In which case, get back to me when that mode of thinking wins him a playoff game.

    jim_brownJ jim_brown wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @tiamat63 said:

    12 games with 3/4 of your players never going to see the NFL vs the greatest athletes on the planet over the course of a minimum 16 game schedule, including the elements for many teams.

    I know you think everything at your precious College Station translates to the NFL, but it simply does not. I also noticed you conveniently left out the issue I raise of setting up your own defense for collapse.

    Unless you have the "fuck it, we'll outscore them" mentality of Chip Kelly. In which case, get back to me when that mode of thinking wins him a playoff game.

    in my experience, outscoring the other team almost always results in a win.....in fact...that's the fucking objective, last time i checked.....

  • OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #31

    The no-huddle worked for the Browns because it requires simpler play-calling. Shanahan's 15 word play calls (which were getting cut off by the helmet speaker timer) get trimmed down and become easier to execute. So we don't need to run the no-huddle all the time, we just need simpler play calls.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    That will work in College, but pros I doubt it.

    Really-please tell Manning to stop breaking all those offensive records at Denver in that case. He apparently is not a Browns Board member or he would have taken advice here.

    Tour-I'm only good for one memory cell a day, so I use it wisely to help save the Browns from their next drafting mistake. LOL 😆

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @texasag1969 said:

    Really-please tell Manning to stop breaking all those offensive records at Denver in that case. He apparently is not a Browns Board member or he would have taken advice here.

    Tour-I'm only good for one memory cell a day, so I use it wisely to help save the Browns from their next drafting mistake. LOL 😆

    Manning has a bit more experience then JFF or Hoyer.

  • The no-huddle worked for the Browns because it requires simpler play-calling. Shanahan's 15 word play calls (which were getting cut off by the helmet speaker timer) get trimmed down and become easier to execute. So we don't need to run the no-huddle all the time, we just need simpler play calls.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @osiris said:

    The no-huddle worked for the Browns because it requires simpler play-calling. Shanahan's 15 word play calls (which were getting cut off by the helmet speaker timer) get trimmed down and become easier to execute. So we don't need to run the no-huddle all the time, we just need simpler play calls.

    Is that the case? I thought Pettine's original explanation was that the plays are the same. That the reduced verbiage of the hurry-up just packed more meaning into fewer words.

    Kinda like a zip file... less delivered to the ear, but more unpacked in the brain.

    (Do people still use Zip files?)