we got seriously lucky today...
-
no doubt, they earned it
most significant home victory since 11/12 against pisspuke
-
The has never been a game played without something to bicker about.
Its when the bickering overshadows the win.
The interior DL got handled the entire game. We had not kitchen though....guys were likely tired.
Run D needs work. Perfection is unattainable in this league. Even the worst teams are going to make plays.
-
you guys got understand my position. best friends are gints/steelers/cowboy and redskin's fans (1 friend =3 teams).
to actually have 4 phone calls after the game from everybody i've known since living here congratulating me for the brown's win was craaaazy!
i was on delay without video and my friends int the tavern were better than bernie, bert or oscar.
you guys got understand my position. best friends are gints/steelers/cowboy and redskin's fans (1 friend =3 teams).
to actually have 4 phone calls after the game from everybody i've known since living here congratulating me for the brown's win was craaaazy!
i was on delay without video and my friends int the tavern were better than bernie, bert or oscar.
I got the same calls from PA where I have family. It's great to win, especially a home opener...but there were problems. Anybody that paid attention to some of Hoyers easy throws he butchered that wasn't looking cockeyed at the screen...well I dunno. I'm giving credit where it's due though. Our OLB'ers are finally starting to get home, when they're turned loose...our running game is back, thank god. That's good shit to hang your hat on. The issue with me is that prior to the season starting I didn't think we had a chance in the North...after watching the Pgh game and then the Ravens/Pgh game...my opinion is changing. We might actually have a shot at the North, which means some of this stuff y'all are giving a pass on just cause we won...that won't cut it. We have to tackle, I mean this is football right? If you don't tackle you won't take a French schoolyard let alone the AFC north.
-
you guys got understand my position. best friends are gints/steelers/cowboy and redskin's fans (1 friend =3 teams).
to actually have 4 phone calls after the game from everybody i've known since living here congratulating me for the brown's win was craaaazy!
i was on delay without video and my friends int the tavern were better than bernie, bert or oscar.
you guys got understand my position. best friends are gints/steelers/cowboy and redskin's fans (1 friend =3 teams).
to actually have 4 phone calls after the game from everybody i've known since living here congratulating me for the brown's win was craaaazy!
i was on delay without video and my friends int the tavern were better than bernie, bert or oscar.
Bernie is still doing commentary?
-
I can't remember when our last home opener win was, 80's anybody?
-
I can't remember when our last home opener win was, 80's anybody?
We were 1 - 14 since 1999 before this.
It's either 10 or 12 years since that win
-
I can't remember when our last home opener win was, 80's anybody?
We were 1 - 14 since 1999 before this.
It's either 10 or 12 years since that win
-
I can't remember when our last home opener win was, 80's anybody?
Its been 10 years. 2004/
-
what was truly amazing was FE Stadium was full til the final whistle
Glad we've got the fans behind the Team, I've been seeing a few comments about how loud it was.
-
what was truly amazing was FE Stadium was full til the final whistle
Glad we've got the fans behind the Team, I've been seeing a few comments about how loud it was.
-
The quarterback situation is simple to me. We know the ceiling for Hoyer that we saw today, not going to make large mistakes and can make crisp short throws. He's also got skills on the rollout which is pivotal in this offense. There's no doubt the guy struggles on the 20+ passes, but you can win football games that way with a good running game and solid defense. Don't take this as I think in any way Manziel has shown he's at this level, but we very well might be in a Alex Smith/Colin K situation the 49er's had a while back.
-
Think it will be loud from now on?
-
Hey Clevfan4life, excuse the boys chasing butterflies and shooting rainbows out of their ass, I enjoy raeding full reporst of the game (the Good with the Bad). We are far from an elite team yet and there will ALWAYS be room for improvement.
I agree on Hoyer tossing some pretty wild wounded ducks out there today. He's actually lucky that he didn't have one or even a couple picked.
I don't agree that we were "lucky". I think we played a well coached game. It's Drew Freaking Brees and Company in town, I don't think running the same look at him, no matter what the early success, would have cut it either. Our DB's had as much to do with the pressure on Brees as our rush from the edge. Our DB's scheme might have changed, going to more zone especially in the prevent defense before the half. Then we got caught up in mis-matches (height). At that point we finished off with a huge play by Dansby up the middle for the sack that actually had as much to do with winning the game as any play did this afternoon. Give the coaching some credit to use nearly every phase of our defense to counter a pretty darn potent offense.
I agree with you that I wasn't a big Manziel fan until most of the way through preseason when i started to realize that this kid will put balls-to-the-wall for us and do everything he can to make plays. I thought our offense became stale at mid-game and called for us to put in Manziel to give a different look, or at least a running threat on roll-outs. I was happy to see us trot him out there, but didn't think we aligned the plays necessary for the situation. I like that we at least attempted to use every tool in the wood shed.
After the win, I'm most worried about Hoyer. His passes weren't commanding enough. Floated too many, then whizzed one past a receiver on a slant in front of the LB's. I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to stretch a defense long. Any pass over intermediate depth today was a dying quail.
Love the run game. Still wish West would duck his head at times to gain another critical yard or two here or there, but the upright running will bust more long runs in his future. reminds me a bit of Leroy Hoard.
I don't agree that we were "lucky".
After the win, I'm most worried about Hoyer. His passes weren't commanding enough. Floated too many, then whizzed one past a receiver on a slant in front of the LB's. I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to stretch a defense long. Any pass over intermediate depth today was a dying quail.
But please explain to me how Hoyer's pass to Austin at the sideline with 15 seconds left was not "commanding enough". Or the 4th down completion to Barnidge if you prefer...
Any issues BH had passing were not "depth" related. They were feet related. Back foot weak... step in strong. I believe the "whizzer" you cite was the one where Austin stopped a slant.
But I do agree that we were not lucky... so we have that...
I don't think Hoyer is going to last long. Think Manziel will be in before game 6 or seven. Two hand offs and a pass that should have been caught.
Caught? Because FBs are expected to hold onto passes that come to them late and weak allowing the defender to strip it before it can be tucked away?
Snap was at 8:14 of Q3. And BTW... Agnew was open before JM bailed unnecessarily out of the pocket.
But he was 2 for 2 handing off.
a most sensible post. Only think I disagree with is backing off Brees. You force the team to adjust to what you're doing.
... no half empty or half full or whatever cup....it was awesome to see. The energy was palpable, the crowd was utterly pumped to see how were were pressing.
First, it's a glass not a cup...
Second, I agree that defensively we seemed to start off very aggressive, but backed off. I'd like to know why so I hope Pettine is asked the question.
-
-
Hoyer was fine today.
There were two or three passes that should have been caught, a few he had to throw away because defenders were on him, and a few others where WR's shorted or ran the wrong route.
Even with this, he completed over 60% of his passes.
I can't complain about that.
-
don't cheer too loud. somebody will call the noise police
you'd think you were watching the game in a musuem
-
don't cheer too loud. somebody will call the noise police
you'd think you were watching the game in a musuem
-
I don't agree that we were "lucky".
After the win, I'm most worried about Hoyer. His passes weren't commanding enough. Floated too many, then whizzed one past a receiver on a slant in front of the LB's. I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to stretch a defense long. Any pass over intermediate depth today was a dying quail.
But please explain to me how Hoyer's pass to Austin at the sideline with 15 seconds left was not "commanding enough". Or the 4th down completion to Barnidge if you prefer...
Any issues BH had passing were not "depth" related. They were feet related. Back foot weak... step in strong. I believe the "whizzer" you cite was the one where Austin stopped a slant.
But I do agree that we were not lucky... so we have that...
I don't think Hoyer is going to last long. Think Manziel will be in before game 6 or seven. Two hand offs and a pass that should have been caught.
Caught? Because FBs are expected to hold onto passes that come to them late and weak allowing the defender to strip it before it can be tucked away?
Snap was at 8:14 of Q3. And BTW... Agnew was open before JM bailed unnecessarily out of the pocket.
But he was 2 for 2 handing off.
a most sensible post. Only think I disagree with is backing off Brees. You force the team to adjust to what you're doing.
... no half empty or half full or whatever cup....it was awesome to see. The energy was palpable, the crowd was utterly pumped to see how were were pressing.
First, it's a glass not a cup...
Second, I agree that defensively we seemed to start off very aggressive, but backed off. I'd like to know why so I hope Pettine is asked the question.
But please explain to me how Hoyer's pass to Austin at the sideline with 15 seconds left was not "commanding enough". Or the 4th down completion to Barnidge if you prefer...
Really? You do realize how close that reception to Austin was nearly ruled in-bounds, leaving us with 6-seconds and a desperation heave, chance short yardage play on the sideline, or mid 50+ fieldgoal try right? Lucky, maybe even ill advised, definitely not solidly "commanding".
The Barnidge 4th play was awesome, moreso on Barnidges part though no? Heck of a catch. Hoyer got it there but greater clutch catch.
You're not going to bring up the Hawkins pass that got us to the 11-yardline and in place for a 29-yrd Field Goal? Was that Commanding? Or was Hawkins open by the size of Rob Ryans girth and Hoyer nearly got the yippies and moused the throw? That should have been a TD pass.
You can't tell me that he didn't throw a couple of passes that were so butt ugly wobbly and floating that even the receivers and defenders couldn't judge'em to get in the same area code. Him and his receivers were not on the same page on other throws, and that's not all on Hoyer, but also doesn't spell "commanding" either.
Any issues BH had passing were not "depth" related. They were feet related. Back foot weak... step in strong.
Oh my bad ... he just never threw a great intermediate to deep ball because his shoelaces weren't tied by his Mom. Got it!
Thanks for the class, teach.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
