we got seriously lucky today...
-
A wins a win but honestly the way the Browns started playing towards the end of the 2nd quarter into the 3rd and most of the 4th.....they were lucky to win. Here's my impressions of the game.
1) First and foremost....1st quarter out OLB'ers were getting home. Kruger and Sheard were allowed to put their hands in the dirt. Both had good pressure and we obviously saw Kruger dip his nutsack on Brees forehead. Sometime toward the end of the 2nd quarter they started standing up entirely and did so for the rest of the game. Coincidence that we never really got pressure on Brees again till we started blitzing LB'ers in the 4th? We were getting pressure on Brees with our front 4 which allowed us to drop LB'ers in coverage...coincidence Graham wasn't gashing us in the 1st half? Only thing I can think of is that the defensive coaches got so skurred by the saints runs that they stood up the OLB'ers in response. Problem is that it's not the Saints running game in the end that's gonna win them games, especially when they are playing from behind. If you can put a nutsack in Drew Brees face the entire game, well than let the run game get what it can get. Honestly it was our ILB'ers missing tackles, again, that sprung a lot of long runs.....nothing to do with our edge containment.
2) I'm a Hoyer fan but he kind of almost cost us that game despite making some plays to win it. Dude was off on a lot of easy throws today. Like cringy Weeds type of throws. He missed some big completions today which would have kept our defense off the field.
3) Like somebody said here earlier in the week....Mack and Byner are back, nuff said. Love the run game.
4) Thank god we have no lefty qb's otherwise Scwartz would be protecting the blind side.
5) I didn't like the talk about Manziel coming in on special packages......but my mind might be changed. I think it has potential. Giving JF a handful or more of snaps a game might not be such a bad idea. It gives him real time reps plus it puts a lot in the minds of the defense to see him out there sporadically. They can't completely game plan for him cause he's not the starter. If he's fixed whatever yip that caused him to flutter his deep passes in preseason, I can see his packages potentially opening some very deep routes over the top.
All in all a wins a win, but it shouldn't have been made that easy on the Saints to come back. Why you scheme away from something that was getting pressure on the qb with your front 4 I have no idea. Especially when you're up on a team which forces them to throw more...why back off a qb? Protect the ILB'ers? Bullshit, if they can't do their job than they shouldn't be there. Dansby's supposed to in the top 2 or 3 ILB in the game right? He himself thinks he's the best period....so he should be lighting up some little scat back that comes down hill through the A or B gap.
-
ok.
-
Lol. Think he is a ravens fan
-
at this point I am just enjoying the win and it feels sooooo good
sometimes simple is the best
the ice-cold, bottled Labatt Blue taste especially smooth this evening and I've some diesel I've been saving for a rainy day
-
Not a ravens fan. Just a fickle little bitch.
I didn't make it past 7 words of the post before I knew the schtick.
-
pls explain what of my post came off like a "ravens" fan? Like seriously what on earth screams Ravens? All of you would be calling for Pettines job if we lost that game....I know that cause a decent number of you were calling for it approx. 1 game into the preseason. I had some valid observations about the game today. Especially the part about backing off of Brees who we were knucklefucking for a good part of the 1st half. The interception and return, which was a good job out of Gipson.....was the result of Kruger groping Brees like a drunk pgh qb in an underage nightclub.
Lol. Think he is a ravens fan
-
And what "schtick" was that nancy?
You're loser mentality. Bitching about everything bad, ignoring the good.
-
but I didn't ignore the good, or can you not read? do we need to read a page of harry potter on youtube to prove our literacy?
-
I think this was a very deserved win.
-
Hey Clevfan4life, excuse the boys chasing butterflies and shooting rainbows out of their ass, I enjoy raeding full reporst of the game (the Good with the Bad). We are far from an elite team yet and there will ALWAYS be room for improvement.
I agree on Hoyer tossing some pretty wild wounded ducks out there today. He's actually lucky that he didn't have one or even a couple picked.
I don't agree that we were "lucky". I think we played a well coached game. It's Drew Freaking Brees and Company in town, I don't think running the same look at him, no matter what the early success, would have cut it either. Our DB's had as much to do with the pressure on Brees as our rush from the edge. Our DB's scheme might have changed, going to more zone especially in the prevent defense before the half. Then we got caught up in mis-matches (height). At that point we finished off with a huge play by Dansby up the middle for the sack that actually had as much to do with winning the game as any play did this afternoon. Give the coaching some credit to use nearly every phase of our defense to counter a pretty darn potent offense.
I agree with you that I wasn't a big Manziel fan until most of the way through preseason when i started to realize that this kid will put balls-to-the-wall for us and do everything he can to make plays. I thought our offense became stale at mid-game and called for us to put in Manziel to give a different look, or at least a running threat on roll-outs. I was happy to see us trot him out there, but didn't think we aligned the plays necessary for the situation. I like that we at least attempted to use every tool in the wood shed.
After the win, I'm most worried about Hoyer. His passes weren't commanding enough. Floated too many, then whizzed one past a receiver on a slant in front of the LB's. I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to stretch a defense long. Any pass over intermediate depth today was a dying quail.
Love the run game. Still wish West would duck his head at times to gain another critical yard or two here or there, but the upright running will bust more long runs in his future. reminds me a bit of Leroy Hoard.
-
The has never been a game played without something to bicker about.
Its when the bickering overshadows the win.
The interior DL got handled the entire game. We had not kitchen though....guys were likely tired.
Run D needs work. Perfection is unattainable in this league. Even the worst teams are going to make plays.
-
Hey Clevfan4life, excuse the boys chasing butterflies and shooting rainbows out of their ass, I enjoy raeding full reporst of the game (the Good with the Bad). We are far from an elite team yet and there will ALWAYS be room for improvement.
I agree on Hoyer tossing some pretty wild wounded ducks out there today. He's actually lucky that he didn't have one or even a couple picked.
I don't agree that we were "lucky". I think we played a well coached game. It's Drew Freaking Brees and Company in town, I don't think running the same look at him, no matter what the early success, would have cut it either. Our DB's had as much to do with the pressure on Brees as our rush from the edge. Our DB's scheme might have changed, going to more zone especially in the prevent defense before the half. Then we got caught up in mis-matches (height). At that point we finished off with a huge play by Dansby up the middle for the sack that actually had as much to do with winning the game as any play did this afternoon. Give the coaching some credit to use nearly every phase of our defense to counter a pretty darn potent offense.
I agree with you that I wasn't a big Manziel fan until most of the way through preseason when i started to realize that this kid will put balls-to-the-wall for us and do everything he can to make plays. I thought our offense became stale at mid-game and called for us to put in Manziel to give a different look, or at least a running threat on roll-outs. I was happy to see us trot him out there, but didn't think we aligned the plays necessary for the situation. I like that we at least attempted to use every tool in the wood shed.
After the win, I'm most worried about Hoyer. His passes weren't commanding enough. Floated too many, then whizzed one past a receiver on a slant in front of the LB's. I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to stretch a defense long. Any pass over intermediate depth today was a dying quail.
Love the run game. Still wish West would duck his head at times to gain another critical yard or two here or there, but the upright running will bust more long runs in his future. reminds me a bit of Leroy Hoard.
Hey Clevfan4life, excuse the boys chasing butterflies and shooting rainbows out of their ass, I enjoy raeding full reporst of the game (the Good with the Bad). We are far from an elite team yet and there will ALWAYS be room for improvement.
I agree on Hoyer tossing some pretty wild wounded ducks out there today. He's actually lucky that he didn't have one or even a couple picked.
I don't agree that we were "lucky". I think we played a well coached game. It's Drew Freaking Brees and Company in town, I don't think running the same look at him, no matter what the early success, would have cut it either. Our DB's had as much to do with the pressure on Brees as our rush from the edge. Our DB's scheme might have changed, going to more zone especially in the prevent defense before the half. Then we got caught up in mis-matches (height). At that point we finished off with a huge play by Dansby up the middle for the sack that actually had as much to do with winning the game as any play did this afternoon. Give the coaching some credit to use nearly every phase of our defense to counter a pretty darn potent offense.
I agree with you that I wasn't a big Manziel fan until most of the way through preseason when i started to realize that this kid will put balls-to-the-wall for us and do everything he can to make plays. I thought our offense became stale at mid-game and called for us to put in Manziel to give a different look, or at least a running threat on roll-outs. I was happy to see us trot him out there, but didn't think we aligned the plays necessary for the situation. I like that we at least attempted to use every tool in the wood shed.
After the win, I'm most worried about Hoyer. His passes were commanding enough. Floated too many, then whizzed one past a receive on a slant in front of the LB's. I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to stretch a defense long. Any pass over intermediate depth today was a dying quail.
Love the run game. Still wish West would duck his head at times to gain another critical yard or two here or there, but the upright running will bust more long runs in his future. reminds me a bit of Leroy Hoard.
I don't think Hoyer is going to last long. Think Manziel will be in before game 6 or seven. Two hand offs and a pass that should have been caught.
-
Hey Clevfan4life, excuse the boys chasing butterflies and shooting rainbows out of their ass, I enjoy raeding full reporst of the game (the Good with the Bad). We are far from an elite team yet and there will ALWAYS be room for improvement.
I agree on Hoyer tossing some pretty wild wounded ducks out there today. He's actually lucky that he didn't have one or even a couple picked.
I don't agree that we were "lucky". I think we played a well coached game. It's Drew Freaking Brees and Company in town, I don't think running the same look at him, no matter what the early success, would have cut it either. Our DB's had as much to do with the pressure on Brees as our rush from the edge. Our DB's scheme might have changed, going to more zone especially in the prevent defense before the half. Then we got caught up in mis-matches (height). At that point we finished off with a huge play by Dansby up the middle for the sack that actually had as much to do with winning the game as any play did this afternoon. Give the coaching some credit to use nearly every phase of our defense to counter a pretty darn potent offense.
I agree with you that I wasn't a big Manziel fan until most of the way through preseason when i started to realize that this kid will put balls-to-the-wall for us and do everything he can to make plays. I thought our offense became stale at mid-game and called for us to put in Manziel to give a different look, or at least a running threat on roll-outs. I was happy to see us trot him out there, but didn't think we aligned the plays necessary for the situation. I like that we at least attempted to use every tool in the wood shed.
After the win, I'm most worried about Hoyer. His passes weren't commanding enough. Floated too many, then whizzed one past a receiver on a slant in front of the LB's. I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to stretch a defense long. Any pass over intermediate depth today was a dying quail.
Love the run game. Still wish West would duck his head at times to gain another critical yard or two here or there, but the upright running will bust more long runs in his future. reminds me a bit of Leroy Hoard.
a most sensible post. Only think I disagree with is backing off Brees. You force the team to adjust to what you're doing. They countered our pressure with the run game. I obviously didn't like how "yet again" our LB'ers were missing some easy tackles but I still put my OLB'ers hands in the dirt on obvious passing downs..which we didn't do. I wanted to see Kruger and Sheard with at least 2 sacks this game each because those sacks were out there had we pressed. We had Brees rattled, you take his head out of the game and we don't need a FG in the closing seconds to win it. Nobody can honestly see what Brees and Graham were able to do in the 2nd half and say our defensive scheme was properly adjusted. We got all over that ass in the 1st half, no half empty or half full or whatever cup....it was awesome to see. The energy was palpable, the crowd was utterly pumped to see how were were pressing.
Hey Clevfan4life, excuse the boys chasing butterflies and shooting rainbows out of their ass, I enjoy raeding full reporst of the game (the Good with the Bad). We are far from an elite team yet and there will ALWAYS be room for improvement.
I agree on Hoyer tossing some pretty wild wounded ducks out there today. He's actually lucky that he didn't have one or even a couple picked.
I don't agree that we were "lucky". I think we played a well coached game. It's Drew Freaking Brees and Company in town, I don't think running the same look at him, no matter what the early success, would have cut it either. Our DB's had as much to do with the pressure on Brees as our rush from the edge. Our DB's scheme might have changed, going to more zone especially in the prevent defense before the half. Then we got caught up in mis-matches (height). At that point we finished off with a huge play by Dansby up the middle for the sack that actually had as much to do with winning the game as any play did this afternoon. Give the coaching some credit to use nearly every phase of our defense to counter a pretty darn potent offense.
I agree with you that I wasn't a big Manziel fan until most of the way through preseason when i started to realize that this kid will put balls-to-the-wall for us and do everything he can to make plays. I thought our offense became stale at mid-game and called for us to put in Manziel to give a different look, or at least a running threat on roll-outs. I was happy to see us trot him out there, but didn't think we aligned the plays necessary for the situation. I like that we at least attempted to use every tool in the wood shed.
After the win, I'm most worried about Hoyer. His passes were commanding enough. Floated too many, then whizzed one past a receive on a slant in front of the LB's. I'm worried that he isn't going to be able to stretch a defense long. Any pass over intermediate depth today was a dying quail.
Love the run game. Still wish West would duck his head at times to gain another critical yard or two here or there, but the upright running will bust more long runs in his future. reminds me a bit of Leroy Hoard.
-
you guys got understand my position. best friends are gints/steelers/cowboy and redskin's fans (1 friend =3 teams).
to actually have 4 phone calls after the game from everybody i've known since living here congratulating me for the brown's win was craaaazy!
i was on delay without video and my friends int the tavern were better than bernie, bert or oscar.
-
no doubt, they earned it
most significant home victory since 11/12 against pisspuke
-
The has never been a game played without something to bicker about.
Its when the bickering overshadows the win.
The interior DL got handled the entire game. We had not kitchen though....guys were likely tired.
Run D needs work. Perfection is unattainable in this league. Even the worst teams are going to make plays.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
