Skip to content

Ravens Week: 2014 Part 1

The Browns Board
58 27 2.3k
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #6

    If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens. Flacco is good but no Brees, their receivers don't come close to Colston/Cooks/Graham and they have no Ray Rice or run game to speak of.

    Over 6 quarters, we have 44 points of offense, without our top WR, TE and RB, and our TE should be back at the weekend.

    I'm feeling quite confident, for once.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I love that this game is at home before the bye. You know the crowd is going to be in full force after the win on Sunday.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #8

    The ratbirds, like the squeelers, have been able to take advantage

    of some major weaknesses in the Browns' personnel and systems.

    I don't see that now. Not one bit. The Browns are a young team

    overall, and they are still learning their new systems, and flat out,

    they BELIEVE in themselves, and know they can win now.

    Should be a great game ! I'm looking for a WIN.

  • htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #9

    28-17 Browns victorious!!

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Im thinking the we match up well too....2 fairly solid(equal?) defenses......and 2 offenses that need to work for it.....making it(in my mind) a very even game.....

    Browns have the momentum from Sunday and home field, which I think will be a big boost......hopefully the Ravens are a little sluggish from the extra time off and NOT too well rested or fired up......no matter, I still look for a solid win by 10+.....

    Browns 24

    Ravens 13

  • If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens. Flacco is good but no Brees, their receivers don't come close to Colston/Cooks/Graham and they have no Ray Rice or run game to speak of.

    Over 6 quarters, we have 44 points of offense, without our top WR, TE and RB, and our TE should be back at the weekend.

    I'm feeling quite confident, for once.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @gftchris said:

    If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Haden needs to return to form in this game. The x factor for the ratbirds is smitty. I actually expect Haden to be on him most of the day.

    I like how Gilbert matches up with Torrey, both tall and great straight line speed. The birds will commit to running the ball, the defense needs to be ready.

    On offense, just don't turn the damn thing over and win the early down. Pittsburgh had a decent showing from Bell, I wouldn't expect anything less from West/Crow.

    If I predict a win, it will be something along the lines of 24-20 Brownies.

  • If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens. Flacco is good but no Brees, their receivers don't come close to Colston/Cooks/Graham and they have no Ray Rice or run game to speak of.

    Over 6 quarters, we have 44 points of offense, without our top WR, TE and RB, and our TE should be back at the weekend.

    I'm feeling quite confident, for once.

    Mr. Make-BelieveM Mr. Make-Believe wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @gftchris said:

    If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens.

    By this rationale, the Browns can beat almost any team in the league. I love what they've shown so far, but I still think there is going to be a learning curve before we can expect to see the same competitive team every game.

    That said, this is the most confident I've been in a Browns club since any in recent memory. And I think they match up pretty well against Baltimore. I'm more excited for this game than is reasonable.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Pettine needs to have at least one of our OLB'ers with his hand in the ground on every play. It's obvious to anyone that if we wave the same giant cock in Flacco's face that we waved for a quarter or so in Brees's face...than we win. Last year our OLB'ers actually had a good game against the Ravens even if they didn't net any sacks. Kruger bull rushed Oher into Flacco's lap every single play almost. Kruger set a low timer but for some reason our secondary was not able to press the short routes, Flacco dinked us the whole game. With no Ray Rice I want to see our pass rush pin the ears back. If some other dude comes in and gets 100 yds so what, let's see what Dansby and Kirk's got. And that's not unfair. All those years that the Ravens were elite Ray and Bart said the run game is "OUR" responsibility...funnel everything inside and we got it. But we all know that even when things broke to the outside those guys cleaned that up too. If Dansby's who he says he is, than let him prove it. Get after Flacco and let Dansby handle some 2nd string no name carrying the ball.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I feel better, but am still concerned... Especially concerned about the Ravens' physical Defensive play. Aside from a brief, failed Steeler effort to get physical, it is not something we've faced. Ngata is still the NT/DT I fear the most. A physically aggressive D will be a new test for our Zone blocking O-line.

    I'll feel even better if we can get back a couple of our nicked front 7 so we can rotate in fresh bodies.

    Otherwise:

    Their line has been together a while now. No more Oher weak link.

    We are outrushing them, but Pierce and Forsett are capable.

    Sacks are about even.

    Smith and Smith are better than any WR tandem we've seen.

    While they have no Graham-like TE, Pitta and Owen Daniels are a strong pair.

    and then there's Suggs/Dumervil vs. our RT...

    Still need more hopium here...

    This is going to be a war...

  • If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens. Flacco is good but no Brees, their receivers don't come close to Colston/Cooks/Graham and they have no Ray Rice or run game to speak of.

    Over 6 quarters, we have 44 points of offense, without our top WR, TE and RB, and our TE should be back at the weekend.

    I'm feeling quite confident, for once.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @gftchris said:

    If we can beat the Saints, we can damn sure beat the Ravens. Flacco is good but no Brees, their receivers don't come close to Colston/Cooks/Graham and they have no Ray Rice or run game to speak of.

    Over 6 quarters, we have 44 points of offense, without our top WR, TE and RB, and our TE should be back at the weekend.

    I'm feeling quite confident, for once.

    Well, San Diego beat the all mighty Seahawks. And Da Bears beat SF.

  • I feel better, but am still concerned... Especially concerned about the Ravens' physical Defensive play. Aside from a brief, failed Steeler effort to get physical, it is not something we've faced. Ngata is still the NT/DT I fear the most. A physically aggressive D will be a new test for our Zone blocking O-line.

    I'll feel even better if we can get back a couple of our nicked front 7 so we can rotate in fresh bodies.

    Otherwise:

    Their line has been together a while now. No more Oher weak link.

    We are outrushing them, but Pierce and Forsett are capable.

    Sacks are about even.

    Smith and Smith are better than any WR tandem we've seen.

    While they have no Graham-like TE, Pitta and Owen Daniels are a strong pair.

    and then there's Suggs/Dumervil vs. our RT...

    Still need more hopium here...

    This is going to be a war...

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tour2ma said:

    .

    and then there's Suggs/Dumervil vs. our RT...

    ahh fuck I forgot about that. Suggs and Dumer are probably gonna play rock paper scissors sometime this week for who gets the stats windfall privilege to line up opposite Mitchell the sleeping doorman Schwartz.

  • @tour2ma said:

    .

    and then there's Suggs/Dumervil vs. our RT...

    ahh fuck I forgot about that. Suggs and Dumer are probably gonna play rock paper scissors sometime this week for who gets the stats windfall privilege to line up opposite Mitchell the sleeping doorman Schwartz.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @clevfan4life said:

    ahh fuck I forgot about that. Suggs and Dumer are probably gonna play rock paper scissors sometime this week for who gets the stats windfall privilege to line up opposite Mitchell the sleeping doorman Schwartz.

    LOL... sorry man... you're supposed to be pumping me up. Not trying for a Debbie Downer badge here... I think we can win... but I'm having trouble feeling it so far.

    Suggs has given JT fits in the past as I recall. We can game plan TE/RB help for our RT, but it costs us elsewhere... and they can game plan for our game plan.

  • darkside5D darkside5 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    If Flacco throws the ball 62 times like he did in Cincy we could have 9 picks. (Bit of and exaggeration.)Browns win a defensive battle 17-13

  • @clevfan4life said:

    ahh fuck I forgot about that. Suggs and Dumer are probably gonna play rock paper scissors sometime this week for who gets the stats windfall privilege to line up opposite Mitchell the sleeping doorman Schwartz.

    LOL... sorry man... you're supposed to be pumping me up. Not trying for a Debbie Downer badge here... I think we can win... but I'm having trouble feeling it so far.

    Suggs has given JT fits in the past as I recall. We can game plan TE/RB help for our RT, but it costs us elsewhere... and they can game plan for our game plan.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Suggs says JT is the toughest tackle for him in the entire league, so there's some respect there. Don't think he gives JT "fits" but he does get in every so often. Suggs has fallen off some though, he wasn't what he used to be. Dumer has also fallen off a bit, kind of glad now we didn't go after him. At the time I was like oh please fucking god no don't let him end up in Blt cause Denver shuffled some papers wrong. But it is what it is. If our defense is in Flacco's face we win. Period. Without Ray Rice to fall back on they have to throw. Which is fine if we can get around their tackles. This is a bigger game though than I originally thought it was going to be cause of that bye week. This game could very well set the tone for the rest of the season. For sure the Browns need this game to prove something to the North. This would be a huge win at home and tell the Steelers what they're in for in October. And also it tells Cincy that they have a fight coming up too in case they thought the North was theirs.

    @tour2ma said:

    LOL... sorry man... you're supposed to be pumping me up. Not trying for a Debbie Downer badge here... I think we can win... but I'm having trouble feeling it so far.

    Suggs has given JT fits in the past as I recall. We can game plan TE/RB help for our RT, but it costs us elsewhere... and they can game plan for our game plan.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    On Defense:

    Make Flacco beat us with his arm. We HAVE to be better against the run this week, while also staying back and respecting the screen pass. Haden/Gilbert will equalize Smith/Smith. What's left is going to be safeties and LBs covering their 2 very capable TEs. I expect to see more base 3-4 defense this week with A.Bryant, Rubin, and Taylor on the field along with 4 LBs. If we can stop the run and get a lead, our guys A.Bryant, Kruger, Mingo, and Sheard can pin their ears back and tee off on Flacco...

    On Offense:

    Run the ball to set up play action, to move the chains. Just keep the same stuff going that we've been doing the past 6 quarters. Mix in some hurry-up to keep their big guys on the field early in the game, so they're worn out later in the game. Run the ball. Run the ball. Run the ball. It wouldn't hurt to see Cameron out there too.

    I think Flacco will have 2 TOs. Their run game will be shut down. Our offense will remain balanced. We will hold them to FGs, while we'll get a few necessary TDs to win a close one at home... I'll predict a score in a few days...

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #22

    3-4? Depending on how you count Kruger we can either be in it all the time or not at all...

    Kruger is going to want to play just that little bit harder this week...

    Agree.... make Flacco move and you diminish him. He's not the run threat Brees was (or Ben for that matter), so I expect more aggression this week.

    I feel like Skrine is the better match up for Smith Sr's quicks... Haden draws Tory.

    Save Gilbert for Marlon (6'5) Brown or Jacoby (6'2) Jones... or even Pitta if they go 2 TE/ 2 WR sets.

    Offense... sure our approach has to be the same, but I do not expect the passive defensive approach that dominated the Saints and Steeler games. More screens may be in order... we almost popped a TE screen last week. Vacarro made a great play to stop it, but a quicker TE named JordCam just might have...

  • Suggs says JT is the toughest tackle for him in the entire league, so there's some respect there. Don't think he gives JT "fits" but he does get in every so often. Suggs has fallen off some though, he wasn't what he used to be. Dumer has also fallen off a bit, kind of glad now we didn't go after him. At the time I was like oh please fucking god no don't let him end up in Blt cause Denver shuffled some papers wrong. But it is what it is. If our defense is in Flacco's face we win. Period. Without Ray Rice to fall back on they have to throw. Which is fine if we can get around their tackles. This is a bigger game though than I originally thought it was going to be cause of that bye week. This game could very well set the tone for the rest of the season. For sure the Browns need this game to prove something to the North. This would be a huge win at home and tell the Steelers what they're in for in October. And also it tells Cincy that they have a fight coming up too in case they thought the North was theirs.

    @tour2ma said:

    LOL... sorry man... you're supposed to be pumping me up. Not trying for a Debbie Downer badge here... I think we can win... but I'm having trouble feeling it so far.

    Suggs has given JT fits in the past as I recall. We can game plan TE/RB help for our RT, but it costs us elsewhere... and they can game plan for our game plan.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @clevfan4life said:

    Suggs says JT is the toughest tackle for him in the entire league, so there's some respect there. Don't think he gives JT "fits" but he does get in every so often. Suggs has fallen off some though, he wasn't what he used to be. Dumer has also fallen off a bit... If our defense is in Flacco's face we win. Period. Without Ray Rice to fall back on they have to throw.

    Mutual respect... just like around here... πŸ˜‰

    Suggs seems healthier than he's been in a while... early season energy perhaps. He's still one of those "have to account for" guys.

    I've never been a Dumervil guy... He was an undersized DE, pass rush specialist in DNV that the Ravs stood up... right?

    Make Flacco move... knock him down... yup. Like I said above, he's no run threat, so dial up some blitzin'...

    Pierce looked decent last week (not so much week 1... hardly played after an early fumble), but don't sleep on Forsett. The dude looks positively reborn this year...

  • D Dste Ace wrote on last edited by
    #24

    For us to win this game, our tackling HAS to improve.

    Allowing a receiver to gain 15-20 yards after the catch because we're not wrapping up and

    bringing the runner down is eventually going to catch up to us.

    I watched the Steeler/Ravens game last Thursday, and the one thing that got my

    attention was that when Antonio Brown or Heath Miller caught a pass, they were

    immediately hit hard and brought down on the spot. It doesn't stop with our DB's--

    I've seen the front seven allow several 2 or 3 yard losses become 1 or 2 yard or no gains.

    It's worrisome to me because poor tackling isn't something that normally suddenly improves

    in the middle of the season.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Both Suggs and Dumervil are one trick ponies at this stage in their careers. Dumervil absued Gilbert with the bullrush, because...well that fuckin' guy can't maintain his leverage.

    Here's some words for hope. The Ravens had zero sacks and zero turnovers against the Bungles. While I will concede that Cincy has a fine team this year, their Oline isn't much better than ours.

    On defense, stop the early down runs, watch the play action to Pitta and Daniels. I think our CB's match up well with the dirty birds.