Skip to content

PlaygroundLegends Browns 2009 Draft

The Browns Board
12 6 938
  • Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Maybe Chung instead of Moore. I also don't like Maiava as a 3-4 LB. It is interesting, but with the extra picks I would love to find a center we can plug in this year.

    If Greene is there do you take Jennings or Greene? Personally I take a center with the #37 pick and Chung if he is there with the other second pick.

    I think we need to wait until the combine and also see what we do in FA. FA should better shape our draft stratagy.

    I believe ILB and Safety are must fill slots. I think Center is a very big need followed by OLB, RB, WR, OT and DL.

    I've always thought that rounds 4 thru 7 are crap shoots and you should take the best player available regardless of position. These are guys you are basically drafting for depth and special teams with enough potential to grow.

  • ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Word is that if we don't re-sign Sean Jones, we're expected to pursue Saints FS Josh Bullocks. I guess we'd then move Pool to strong safety.

  • Word is that if we don't re-sign Sean Jones, we're expected to pursue Saints FS Josh Bullocks. I guess we'd then move Pool to strong safety.

    Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Aloysius said:

    Word is that if we don't re-sign Sean Jones, we're expected to pursue Saints FS Josh Bullocks. I guess we'd then move Pool to strong safety.

    Bullocks would be ok, but never Pool at SS.

  • Word is that if we don't re-sign Sean Jones, we're expected to pursue Saints FS Josh Bullocks. I guess we'd then move Pool to strong safety.

    R Roy.E.Munson wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Aloysius said:

    Word is that if we don't re-sign Sean Jones, we're expected to pursue Saints FS Josh Bullocks. I guess we'd then move Pool to strong safety.

    Dont forget about Cribbs at this Safety.... the boy can tackle and is not scared to hit!

  • J JewDago wrote on last edited by
    #7

    gotta agree with alo on william moore. his senoir bowl week and actual bowl game were awful. dude covers like terry cousin.

    signing bullocks and moving pool to the strong side will give us two very fast safeties who are dumb, aren't big hitters and don't make plays.

    while playing in all sixteen games this year, bullocks amassed an incredible 41 tackles (34 solo), six pass breakups, one forced fumble, one pick and zero sacks. that's exactly the kind of overwhelming we can expect if we sign him.

    there's a reason he's got a ton of physical talent but has had the same rating (either 76 or 78) in madden for the past few years: he's not improving and isn't an impact player, and we already have enough shitty players on this team.

    atogwe or bust.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #8

    I'd go with Rey Maualuga - he says himself he has really matured.

    But Jennings has been said to "only" run a 4.65... just too early.

    I'm going to figure Clay Mathews, Jr and Sean Smith the cb/s both go in the first round...

    or he trumps out Meredith as the first pick...

    I'd be much happier to go with:

    *******************************************

    SECOND ROUND:

    First pick in the second:

    Jamon Meredith, OL, South Carolina (there are scouts who think RT is a huge priority,

    and I'm an oline first guy)

    Position: OL

    School & Year/Status: South Carolina - Senior

    Height & Weight: 6'5 - 298 lbs.

    Ranked #37 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

    2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

    If NFL teams are looking for an offensive lineman to come in and contribute immediately, they can look no further than this South Carolina Gamecock. To say Meredith is high on the experience factor would be an understatement. He redshirted as a freshman after playing in one game, and coming into 2008 he had started 28 consecutive games; 29 in total dating back to his freshman season. Meredith started 18 straight at left tackle protecting his quarterback's blind side, but recently he has been forced to show his versatility. He had to sit out two games at the start of this season due to having played during his 2005 redshirt year, and coach Steve Spurrier moved him to guard upon his return. In addition to his football skills (which include running under 5.0 in the 40-yard-dash despite his size), Meredith is outstanding in the classroom and will bring no off-the-field concerns with him into the next level. Right now he looks like a second-rounder in the 2009 draft. Meredith has the frame to get even bigger and he needs to show he can truly dominate a game up front before NFL brass will be convinced to go for him in round one.

    ****************************************

    Second pick in the second:

    Connor Barwin

    Defensive End

    Cincinnati

    Senior

    6' 4" 252 lbs.

    Strengths: Athletic ability, explosiveness, hands, character, size

    Weakness: Experience, competition level, straight line speed

    Barwin’s first love in high school besides football was basketball. Barwin would finish high school rated as the 17th best football player in Michigan by The Detroit Free Press. After he got recruited to play tight end by the Cincinnati Bearcats football team, the Bearcat basketball team needed some help due to injuries and Barwin “walked on” and made the team.

    “I thought I was going to be a (college) basketball player,” said Barwin. “I had played all my life all the time. I was pretty skilled, but I wasn’t tall enough or fast enough. I definitely didn’t have a good enough jump shot to be a wing guy at a big conference and play division one basketball, and I could see that getting towards the end of high school.”

    No longer a “walk on” with the basketball team, Barwin focused on football and at 6’ 4” 252 pounds, that is his future. As a junior he was a standout on special teams as well as a key player in the tight end rotation. He played in 12 games and recorded 31 receptions for 399 yards and two touchdowns.

    His senior year (2008), the super athletic, multi-talented Barwin was asked to try something different. He was put at defensive end and the coaches were amazed at how natural he looked at that position. Barwin seems to have finally found his true calling. He has a relentless, never quit mentality (high motor) and never gives up on a play.

    His instincts are amazing and he has a lightening quick first step. He has excellent chase down speed and a surprisingly powerful bull rush and being a former tight end and basketball player he is very fluid and instinctive dropping back in pass coverage. If he can’t get to the quarterback, he times his jumps perfectly and with his great hands will probably get a lot of interceptions in the NFL

    Barwin seems to get better each game at defensive end, this season (2008) after 11 games he has recorded 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. He also has 6 pass break-ups, 4 QB hurries and 3 blocked punts/kicks. Against Pitt on 22 November 2008, in a crucial 21-28 win, he had a monster game recording 3 sacks and 3 tackles for loss.

    Being new to the position he is a little raw and needs to develop better technique and learn a few more moves, but that will come with time and some excellent NFL coaching. That’s right, I did mention NFL and the scouts have already taken notice, with a good post season and workout out at the NFL Scouting Combine he could emerge as a 2nd or 3rd round selection in the 2009 NFL Draft. He will be a gem in the NFL because he can do so much, he can play special teams, defensive end or outside linebacker, heck he could probably even play tight end in a pinch.

    ***************************************************

    ROUND THREE

    Walter's has Jennings going at the 19th pick in the third round... he'd make a grrreat pick for the Browns

    here.

    I thought this was funny:

    "Philadelphia Eagles: Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty

    The Eagles probably have a better shot at converting fourth-and-11 than they do fourth-and-one. That's because Andy Reid is a moronic play-caller, and always decides to go with a run toward the right guard or right tackle with his small running backs. Or sometimes he mixes it up and calls for a Hail Mary. Big Red needs a big back. At 6-1, 232, Rashad Jennings qualifies. "

    ******************************************************************

    ROUND FOUR

    Sammie Lee Hill, 4

    Position: DT

    School: Stillman

    Height: 6-4 Weight: 328

    Sammie Lee Hill for his size has been described as having tremendous quickness and athletic ability to move laterally as well as hold the point of attack against the run. He is a I-AA and Division II player. Sammie Lee is a high character individual. He and teammates were involved in saving a man from a burning building.

    Sammie Lee is a small school prospect, so playing at a higher level will definitely be a challenge. He is playing in the East West Shrine Game this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how he performs at that level. He could play the nose in a 3-4 or 4-3 over the guard.

    I say, he can play DE in the Browns 3-4 rotation til Rodgers retires and then be the NT after he's a couple years older and bigger...

  • PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
    #9

    I disagree people, I think Moore will be a definite somebody in this league. I mean, the guy is just an athlete, he is a gamer. He has one bad week and everyone thinks he sucks...

    Seriously, look at this defense....

    _______________________Jones_____

    ___________Moore_________________

    _________________________________

    _________D'Qwell___Maualuga________

    ______Wimbley_____________Hall_____

    Bmac____Smith_Rogers_Williams___Wright

    That looks dangerous to me

    especially when you add in Frantz Joseph in the mix

  • J JewDago wrote on last edited by
    #10

    despite moore's athletic ability, he has a glaring flaw in his game. it wasn't just for one week that we saw he couldn't cover people, it was for much of the season. here are four scouting reports on him that all say he's not good in coverage or that he's better suited to play in the box by the LOS, which would make him more of a LB than a DB. he's often listed as a tweener project, a distinction that reflects his coverage issues, because he has the speed to play safety.

    http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profil...9/William-Moore

    http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingrepo...lliam-Moore.php

    http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=...69&Itemid=1

    http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2009wmoore.php

    i'd include new era scouting's report, but no one's updated it since september.

    he's more likely to have a great impact as a WOLB on a tampa 2 team who eventually moves into the MLB role.

    and if we have moore and jones as our safeties, we have no one to cover center field and play deep. they're both in the box guys.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #11

    Sean Smith, cb/s is rated here as the #37th player, William Moore is rated #61. A high second rounder is

    way too high for Moore... he is a fine player, though...

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospec...amp;start_row=1

  • PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Then could we franchise Jones, trade him for picks then draft moore!

    Now im getting a little crazy.

    BTW what do you think about Frantz Joseph.... he's way better than Bell right?