Skip to content

defensively the Browns are not where we thought they were

The Browns Board
36 19 2.0k
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #27

    It isn't just learning the defense, it's learning all the adjustments in the defense,

    that teams make from week to week, to counter the attacks

    by offenses, imho.

    I'm bettin that we see a huge improvement after the bye.

    These arm tackles, etc, are just players out of position, trying to

    make up ground. That's fixable.

  • It isn't just learning the defense, it's learning all the adjustments in the defense,

    that teams make from week to week, to counter the attacks

    by offenses, imho.

    I'm bettin that we see a huge improvement after the bye.

    These arm tackles, etc, are just players out of position, trying to

    make up ground. That's fixable.

    CaliBrownsC CaliBrowns wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @calfoxwc said:

    It isn't just learning the defense, it's learning all the adjustments in the defense,

    that teams make from week to week, to counter the attacks

    by offenses, imho.

    I'm bettin that we see a huge improvement after the bye.

    These arm tackles, etc, are just players out of position, trying to

    make up ground. That's fixable.

    I agree.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #29

    I'd say the Team lost the game.

  • We need a badass at ILB like Kuechly or Burfict and his name is Denzel Perryman

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #30

    def gonna watch that kid this year. I hope actually that he doesn't have that great of a year stats wise so he doesn't go very high in the draft, but that Miami defense looks to be pretty good so likely is he'll have a monster year. But I agree with the sentiment. I want someone that takes personally when a RB runs over his defense like we've been getting run on. Haven't seen anything like that from Dansby, Robertson or Kirksey. I don't know how Dansby, who considers himself a top 3 LB in the NFL....can sit and take a 3rd and 4th string RB combining for over 150yds on his defense. Not a word out of our big offseason acquisition on accountability.

    @walterwhite said:

    We need a badass at ILB like Kuechly or Burfict and his name is Denzel Perryman

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    I totally agree. Where is our defensive coordinator? Why did they let Jackson, and TJ Ward go? This unit can't stop anyone and the offense is going to be forced to score a ton of points. These first round picks who would otherwise be third or fourth aren't doing the job. Is Mingo living up to his first round status? Did the Browns need to use a precious first round pick on Justin Gilbert when even the pundits thought there were better corners in this draft who were NFL ready. Kyle Fuller is doing an exceptional job for a rookie and the Browns could have had him.

    I don't get this organization at all! Are we as Browns fans doomed to be basement dwellers every year? The fact is, even new ownership hasn't changed poor decision making in the draft and the hiring of coaches etc. Football is a business; I get that. But the Browns organization doesn't seem to be good businessmen. I have a hunch that even the Manziel pick was to sell tickets. Why else would they announce right off the bat that Hoyer was way ahead of him in training camp. Hoyer at that point had started all of four games in his NFL career. By not giving Manziel first team reps no way he could progress at the position. I don't know any player who became better by sitting on the bench.

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
    #32

    The problem is we BLOW our first round picks.

    2011- Phil Taylor - Dude sucks and never does anything. (could have had JJ Watt or Julio Jones)

    2012 - Richardson & Weeden - both awful picks and could of had better

    2013 - Mingo - he was an athletic prospect being moved to a different position and he's a bust.

    2014 - Gilburnt - he's an athletic prospect and terrible football player taken off of measurables

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #33

    Ah... Walter's post of the day is making the rounds. Two appearances and counting...

    As I watched the replay while O-line grading I was struck by how many stops our D made vs. the Ravens. At the time it seemed like we did much worse heading towards the agonizing end.

    In 2nd half the Ravens had 6 series for:

    1 TD;

    2 FG;

    1 - 3 & Out;

    1 - 6 & Out; and

    1 - 5 & Out (turnover on downs).

    Not going to claim we were great or even good, but that's not a terribly bad half.

  • Ah... Walter's post of the day is making the rounds. Two appearances and counting...

    As I watched the replay while O-line grading I was struck by how many stops our D made vs. the Ravens. At the time it seemed like we did much worse heading towards the agonizing end.

    In 2nd half the Ravens had 6 series for:

    1 TD;

    2 FG;

    1 - 3 & Out;

    1 - 6 & Out; and

    1 - 5 & Out (turnover on downs).

    Not going to claim we were great or even good, but that's not a terribly bad half.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @tour2ma said:

    Ah... Walter's post of the day is making the rounds. Two appearances and counting...

    As I watched the replay while O-line grading I was struck by how many stops our D made vs. the Ravens. At the time it seemed like we did much worse heading towards the agonizing end.

    In 2nd half the Ravens had 6 series for:

    1 TD;

    2 FG;

    1 - 3 & Out;

    1 - 6 & Out; and

    1 - 5 & Out (turnover on downs).

    Not going to claim we were great or even good, but that's not a terribly bad half.

    13 points per half? 26 Points per game is not really that good. I'd have higher standards than that. Anything less than 20 is good for me.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Ah... Walter's post of the day is making the rounds. Two appearances and counting...

    As I watched the replay while O-line grading I was struck by how many stops our D made vs. the Ravens. At the time it seemed like we did much worse heading towards the agonizing end.

    In 2nd half the Ravens had 6 series for:

    1 TD;

    2 FG;

    1 - 3 & Out;

    1 - 6 & Out; and

    1 - 5 & Out (turnover on downs).

    Not going to claim we were great or even good, but that's not a terribly bad half.

    13 points per half? 26 Points per game is not really that good. I'd have higher standards than that. Anything less than 20 is good for me.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Article with D-Line Coach defending Big Phil and "the scheme"...

    Browns try to maximize Phil Taylor's production

    Weaver said he understands the defense is struggling, but he’s coached in the system before and seen it work. He said the biggest issue is players trying too hard, which takes them out of position.

    “What you have to understand is you can’t come out of the scheme in order to do that,” Weaver said.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/8293/browns-try-to-maximize-phil-taylors-production

    @gftchris said:

    13 points per half? 26 Points per game is not really that good. I'd have higher standards than that. Anything less than 20 is good for me.

    Less would be better...

  • Article with D-Line Coach defending Big Phil and "the scheme"...

    Browns try to maximize Phil Taylor's production

    Weaver said he understands the defense is struggling, but he’s coached in the system before and seen it work. He said the biggest issue is players trying too hard, which takes them out of position.

    “What you have to understand is you can’t come out of the scheme in order to do that,” Weaver said.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/8293/browns-try-to-maximize-phil-taylors-production

    @gftchris said:

    13 points per half? 26 Points per game is not really that good. I'd have higher standards than that. Anything less than 20 is good for me.

    Less would be better...

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @tour2ma said:

    Article with D-Line Coach defending Big Phil and "the scheme"...

    Browns try to maximize Phil Taylor's production

    Weaver said he understands the defense is struggling, but he’s coached in the system before and seen it work. He said the biggest issue is players trying too hard, which takes them out of position.

    “What you have to understand is you can’t come out of the scheme in order to do that,” Weaver said.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/8293/browns-try-to-maximize-phil-taylors-production

    Less would be better...

    If we hold our opponents under 20 points, we should be winning the game.