Skip to content

Changes / Improvements during the Bye-Week

The Browns Board
91 32 2.9k
  • @tour2ma said:

    More back on topic...

    Apparently those of us looking for Pettine to be more hands-on in calling the D in-game will not have our wish granted.

    "The Browns will devote part of the bye week to improving their surprisingly porous defense.

    Just about all options are under consideration except for who makes the defensive calls and how they arrive at them."

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/09/cleveland_browns_coach_mike_pe_6.html

    "I think that the crowd noise affected us adversely there a little bit being down at the far end," Pettine said.

    Oops. We were just trying to complicate it for Flacco like we did with Brees the week before. 🙂

    @mudfly said:

    My bye week adjustments would be:

    * Come out featuring Crowell for one game and see if he explodes. 20 plus carries. Just once. Please.

    Hmmm. But isn't Tate slated to return after the Bye? I'm curious to know how that will work when he's back. Wonder what the status is on his injury...

    @tml1138 said:

    Hmmm. But isn't Tate slated to return after the Bye? I'm curious to know how that will work when he's back. Wonder what the status is on his injury...

    ..Yeah, I think Tate will play.....as much as I want Crowell, I expect Pettine to keep him as the #3.....just WISH he would give him a game....

  • @tour2ma said:

    More back on topic...

    Apparently those of us looking for Pettine to be more hands-on in calling the D in-game will not have our wish granted.

    "The Browns will devote part of the bye week to improving their surprisingly porous defense.

    Just about all options are under consideration except for who makes the defensive calls and how they arrive at them."

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/09/cleveland_browns_coach_mike_pe_6.html

    "I think that the crowd noise affected us adversely there a little bit being down at the far end," Pettine said.

    Oops. We were just trying to complicate it for Flacco like we did with Brees the week before. 🙂

    @mudfly said:

    My bye week adjustments would be:

    * Come out featuring Crowell for one game and see if he explodes. 20 plus carries. Just once. Please.

    Hmmm. But isn't Tate slated to return after the Bye? I'm curious to know how that will work when he's back. Wonder what the status is on his injury...

    @tml1138 said:

    Hmmm. But isn't Tate slated to return after the Bye? I'm curious to know how that will work when he's back. Wonder what the status is on his injury...

    Official injury list is not out yet (required by Thursday?).

    FWIW... Yahoo fantasy still lists Tate as "Out".

    EDIT: Rotoworld just reported that Tate is practicing today and if medically cleared will start.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5742/ben-tate

  • it's a nice feeling having too many good backs...saw an interview with Wilbert Montgomery the other day and he was basically saying Tate is still #1, but they can and will rotate quickly and try to find the hot hand.....a nice option to have....

  • @tml1138 said:

    Hmmm. But isn't Tate slated to return after the Bye? I'm curious to know how that will work when he's back. Wonder what the status is on his injury...

    ..Yeah, I think Tate will play.....as much as I want Crowell, I expect Pettine to keep him as the #3.....just WISH he would give him a game....

    @mudfly said:

    ..Yeah, I think Tate will play.....as much as I want Crowell, I expect Pettine to keep him as the #3.....just WISH he would give him a game....

    @mudfly said:

    it's a nice feeling having too many good backs...saw an interview with Wilbert Montgomery the other day and he was basically saying Tate is still #1, but they can and will rotate quickly and try to find the hot hand.....a nice option to have....

    Yes indeed. Crowell at #3 in depth is a good problem.

  • @mark-o said:

    Yeah because it's the QB that is losing us games.

    Hoyer hasn't been the issue through 3 games but at the end of the year if Manziel hasn't played it will be a QB battle all over again and is that what this franchise needs?

    I see what the Jets are going through right now giving Geno Smith his chance and it has set them back 2 years.

    @baconhound said:

    Hoyer hasn't been the issue through 3 games but at the end of the year if Manziel hasn't played it will be a QB battle all over again and is that what this franchise needs?

    I see what the Jets are going through right now giving Geno Smith his chance and it has set them back 2 years.

    So what you're saying is let's start JM and get the 2-year setback over with sooner?

    @baconhound said:

    Do you think they drafted Manziel to sit him indefinitely? At some point he is going to play. I'd rather have him get his shot at 1-2 with obvious problems on this team then have Hoyer go 6-10 and then see Johnny start 1-3 next year.

    If the teams goes 6-10 because of offensive problems, he'll get a start this year. Right now as it stands, the only way we go 6-10 is if the D (and maybe ST) doesn't get their shit together.

  • @mudfly said:

    ..Yeah, I think Tate will play.....as much as I want Crowell, I expect Pettine to keep him as the #3.....just WISH he would give him a game....

    @mudfly said:

    it's a nice feeling having too many good backs...saw an interview with Wilbert Montgomery the other day and he was basically saying Tate is still #1, but they can and will rotate quickly and try to find the hot hand.....a nice option to have....

    Yes indeed. Crowell at #3 in depth is a good problem.

    @tml1138 said:

    Yes indeed. Crowell at #3 in depth is a good problem.

    You never know, we may see a monster this week(and not Crowell).....Tate just may come out blazing....seems there's a couple rooks getting all the play and talk and trying to take his job....maybe he'll be chomping to prove he's the best.......love the competition....

  • Looks like the Brownies signed a long snapper today...practice squad guy.....

    Not really normal to carry a "long snapper" on the practice squad......so they're at least working toward making the change....

  • Looks like the Brownies signed a long snapper today...practice squad guy.....

    Not really normal to carry a "long snapper" on the practice squad......so they're at least working toward making the change....

    @mudfly said:

    Looks like the Brownies signed a long snapper today...practice squad guy.....

    Not really normal to carry a "long snapper" on the practice squad......so they're at least working toward making the change....

    It would definitely appear so.

  • I think Billy is a good enough kicker for now. No need to get 1 in mid season. The blocked fg was not his fault and a missed 50 yarder in 22mph winds is tough. We just got spoiled having Dawson. It is what it is. The kicker is the least of our worries. I would get a long snapper asap. Get 2 and make them compete for a spot on the team. Woof Woof Browns. I love the team we have and they are comming together. Loud and proud. P.S I am making the trip to the Oakland and Cinci games and would like to hang out with some of you before the game.

  • Looks like the Brownies signed a long snapper today...practice squad guy.....

    Not really normal to carry a "long snapper" on the practice squad......so they're at least working toward making the change....

    Hellloooo. This,

    @mudfly said:

    Looks like the Brownies signed a long snapper today...practice squad guy.....

    ...so they're at least working toward making the change....

    Then this,

    @the-gipper said:

    It would definitely appear so.

    Then this?

    @medicineman said:

    The kicker is the least of our worries. I would get a long snapper asap.

    Reading is a good thing.

  • Looks like the Brownies signed a long snapper today...practice squad guy.....

    Not really normal to carry a "long snapper" on the practice squad......so they're at least working toward making the change....

    @mudfly said:

    Looks like the Brownies signed a long snapper today...practice squad guy.....

    Not really normal to carry a "long snapper" on the practice squad......so they're at least working toward making the change....

    What ever happened to Ryan Pontbriand? Could use a guy like him right about now, but I suppose he's up in the years and retired.

  • @mudfly said:

    Looks like the Brownies signed a long snapper today...practice squad guy.....

    Not really normal to carry a "long snapper" on the practice squad......so they're at least working toward making the change....

    What ever happened to Ryan Pontbriand? Could use a guy like him right about now, but I suppose he's up in the years and retired.

    @tml1138 said:

    What ever happened to Ryan Pontbriand? Could use a guy like him right about now, but I suppose he's up in the years and retired.

    Yeah...he's retired now.

  • @tml1138 said:

    What ever happened to Ryan Pontbriand? Could use a guy like him right about now, but I suppose he's up in the years and retired.

    Yeah...he's retired now.

    @mudfly said:

    Yeah...he's retired now.

    So was James Harrison. It does not mean he can't come off his porch rocker.