might move back to Ohio
-
How is east Cleveland?
-
I was in LA for 5 years and moved back in 2013.
I do miss the weather, the sushi, Santa Monica, the hiking, the mexican food, and being on set.
What I don't miss: the phonies, the high rent, the traffic, the scumbags, and the fact that downtown LA is a shit storm and the fabricated entertainment industry.
If you don't mind me asking, what restaurant does your wife manage?
-
How is east Cleveland?
The city of East Cleveland is a total toilet. It looks like a bomb hit it. If you have ever been to Detroit, it looks about the same but on a smaller scale. Lots of crime and vacant stores/houses.
If you mean the east suburbs of Cleveland, that area is nice. Lots of old money over there.
I live in the west suburbs and love it over here. There is a lot more space and it seems that everything is open and spread out, compared to the east suburbs.
I drive a truck around town for my job and I have been in every neighborhood. I personally would never live on the eastside. To crowded and the traffis is AWEFUL. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are people, that live over there, that would not live on the westside.
-
the wife and I have been discussing leaving this shit hole state. California. she has no problems moving to Ohio. I grew up in Akron and Kent. We will probably have 200k in equity from our house here.
She is executive chef at a top rated restaurant in LA. Would like to put down on a okay house with money left over to start something for her.
Any suggestions of areas?**************************************
I grew up in the same area, for the most part. I don't know much about capital gains, but you want
to make sure you check it out, if you don't either...
Locatiions? My dumb guess is, N of Columbus, maybe, in a suburb outside of a larger city, to live.
Work in the suburbs there, commute into the city... I'm not much help on your question.....
The fancy restaurants I wouldn't know. The folks who own the Hartville Kitchen restaurant, near us, could afford her salary...
-
I'd look to the western burbs like rocky river, Westlake, Strongsville, Brunswick or Medina. Despite what people may tell you downtown still has no amenities and places like Tremont are hipster paradises but real people probably want to live somewhere that is actually nice.
-
we have a four year old and don't want her to grow up in a concrete jungle.
-
the wife and I have been discussing leaving this shit hole state. California. she has no problems moving to Ohio. I grew up in Akron and Kent. We will probably have 200k in equity from our house here.
She is executive chef at a top rated restaurant in LA. Would like to put down on a okay house with money left over to start something for her.
Any suggestions of areas?
the wife and I have been discussing leaving this shit hole state. California. she has no problems moving to Ohio. I grew up in Akron and Kent. We will probably have 200k in equity from our house here.
She is executive chef at a top rated restaurant in LA. Would like to put down on a okay house with money left over to start something for her.
Any suggestions of areas?
200K will get you a very nice house here, compared to Cal. Can I assume that your wife will still want to be an executive chef? In the Akron area there are high end restaurants that she could seek employment at. There is a Flemings, plus either Ken Stewart's Grille or Ken Stewart's Lodge. Lannings. Oaks Lodge.
As far as area's to relocate, it would depend on if you want to find something in that 200K range and have no mortgage, or if you would want to go a little higher and have to do some financing.
"High End" Summit County area neighborhoods/cities include Hudson, Silver Lake, Bath, plus parts of West Akron and Fairlawn and parts of the Portage Lakes (high dollar lakefront property near small cottages....and biker types).
Of course you could always go back to Kent if you like the surrounding college atmosphere.
I would be remiss if I didn't recommend Wadsworth, which is where I live. It is a nice solid community. Good schools, good parks, nice neigborhoods, nice traditions, nice downtown area.. And you could get a very nice home for 200K.
-
-
I'd look to the western burbs like rocky river, Westlake, Strongsville, Brunswick or Medina. Despite what people may tell you downtown still has no amenities and places like Tremont are hipster paradises but real people probably want to live somewhere that is actually nice.
I'd look to the western burbs like rocky river, Westlake, Strongsville, Brunswick or Medina. Despite what people may tell you downtown still has no amenities and places like Tremont are hipster paradises but real people probably want to live somewhere that is actually nice.
If I wanted Cleveland area I would be more prone to look on the East side. Shaker Hts, Cleveland Hts. in close ....somewhere along the Shaker Rapid line which is excellent for commuting. Further out is Beachwood, University Hts. Pepper Pike...and even out to the Chagrin Valley communities of Moreland Hills/Gates Mills....but that is big bucks territory.
Of course there is also Chagrin Falls, which is one of the nicest smaller communities in America....though close to a major city.
-
How is east Cleveland?
East Cleveland is the hood. There are some nice suburbs east like Beachwood, Lyndhurst, etc. I wouldn't move to the city. Brecksville is nice. Broadview Heights. North Royalton. Depends on how much you want to spend. Brecksville/Broadview Heights and North Royalton also have very good schools.
-
Stay out of East cleveland and sadly cleveland heights
-
If you have a girl I'd stay out of shaker as well
-
We are planning this out. We are looking at relocating in about a year.
-
If you have a girl I'd stay out of shaker as well
If you have a girl I'd stay out of shaker as well
Both Cleveland Hts and Shaker Hts. were premier areas when I lived up that way....35 years ago. The big mansions are still there.
Why would those communities now be places to stay away from? Or is that just west side bias. Sorry, but, to me, the west side suburbs were no where near as interesting as the east side suburbs.
-
They're going to hell Gipper. Have you not been there in 35 years?
-
The east side sucks big time. Beachwood and pepper pike are still alright I guess.
-
I'll throw in with Gipper about Wadsworth (also Medina). For families, not only great schools, but the Medina County Parks are among the finest I have seen
Mike
-
I like fishing and hunting and green trees. Lol thanks for all the insight guys
-
If you have a girl I'd stay out of shaker as well
Both Cleveland Hts and Shaker Hts. were premier areas when I lived up that way....35 years ago. The big mansions are still there.
Why would those communities now be places to stay away from? Or is that just west side bias. Sorry, but, to me, the west side suburbs were no where near as interesting as the east side suburbs.
Both Cleveland Hts and Shaker Hts. were premier areas when I lived up that way....35 years ago. The big mansions are still there.
Why would those communities now be places to stay away from? Or is that just west side bias. Sorry, but, to me, the west side suburbs were no where near as interesting as the east side suburbs.
Shaker and Cleveland heights are right on the border of the hood. Lot has changed in 35 years.
-
if I may add a good word for the city of Norton Ohio. Conveniently located to route 76 east and west 77 north route 21 and around 10 miles from the somewhat upscale areas of Fair Lawn West Akron and Bath Township which have a few better restaurants.
Summit county taxes are somewhat better than Medina County, for what it's worth and Norton schools are very good, if not flashy.
Fairlawn or Bath themselves would be fine places to live.
From there you can easily get to Cleveland or its south west suburbs or 15 minutes to Medina.
of course one thing to be said for East Cleveland with your 200 K equity you could probably buy an entire city block...

WSS
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login