Skip to content

So... How are you spending your Bye-Sunday?

The Browns Board
73 30 1.7k
  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #49

    I slept most of the day away.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #50

    Beautiful weekend for a bye.....fixed the roof on the cabin, burned a tree down and drowned a few worms.....twas splendid!

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #51

    Watched a little bit of both games, then did yard work, came back in, saw a little of the later games, then watched some Endeavour.

  • @miktoxic said:

    indian summer weekend here in NY. in the 80s right now (feels like 90s after weeks of 60s).

    watching jets/lions. baking buttermilk banana blueberry bread for the week. plan on making chicken gumbo for dinner.

    eating left over chinese food right now sippin on my 2nd bud.

    looking forward to SF vs. PHI next.

    oh yeah pryor got burned (cut him) and geno smith still sucks.

    Indian Summer is considered after the first FROST. So no Indian Summer yet.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Indian Summer is considered after the first FROST. So no Indian Summer yet.

    Yes, Indian Summer is like in December.

  • @jcam222 said:

    man your list made me feel really lazy. Love the recipe for that jam. Mik recipe for that bread too! I see a couple of you were fishing. Were you after steelhead? I used to kill them in Vermillion. I had a bit of sore throat today so my treatment was $50 worth of Fanduel then some shopping while Sirius radio told me how much my rosters sucked lol!!

    It's a little early for steelies. I was catching some big bluegill on the 3 & 4wt fly rods.

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @canton-mike said:

    It's a little early for steelies. I was catching some big bluegill on the 3 & 4wt fly rods.

    Mike

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that. I am not a fisherman, but I am going on a fly fishing trip to Montana with my son next week. But I figure they will be going for trout. My job will be to take photos....and use the net if necessary.

  • @canton-mike said:

    It's a little early for steelies. I was catching some big bluegill on the 3 & 4wt fly rods.

    Mike

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that. I am not a fisherman, but I am going on a fly fishing trip to Montana with my son next week. But I figure they will be going for trout. My job will be to take photos....and use the net if necessary.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #54

    @the-gipper said:

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that.

    Never heard of that either.....blue gills drive me crazy....annoying little nubs they are....but they are GREAT food for my bass and blue cats....

    I do like to shoot them with a 22 though..... they make great moving targets....and it's a good way to cull the herd, while making fish food for the big boys.....

    Here's my standard fishin set up....rods, tackle box, cooler, radio.......and 22..... 🙂

    post-28424-0-70592000-1412008981_thumb.jpg

  • @the-gipper said:

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that.

    Never heard of that either.....blue gills drive me crazy....annoying little nubs they are....but they are GREAT food for my bass and blue cats....

    I do like to shoot them with a 22 though..... they make great moving targets....and it's a good way to cull the herd, while making fish food for the big boys.....

    Here's my standard fishin set up....rods, tackle box, cooler, radio.......and 22..... 🙂

    post-28424-0-70592000-1412008981_thumb.jpg

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @mudfly said:

    Never heard of that either.....blue gills drive me crazy....annoying little nubs they are....but they are GREAT food for my bass and blue cats....

    I do like to shoot them with a 22 though..... they make great moving targets....and it's a good way to cull the herd, while making fish food for the big boys.....

    Here's my standard fishin set up....rods, tackle box, cooler, radio.......and 22..... 🙂

    What? No dynamite? 😮

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #56
  • Kennel ClubK Kennel Club wrote on last edited by
    #57

    I went to Wembley and saw the Raiders take a beating!

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #58

    man your list made me feel really lazy. Love the recipe for that jam. JCam

    **************************************************

    I take it that you are familiar with ground cherries, they are also called "husk tomatoes".

    It's actually a tomato, kin to the family of tomatillos.

    They come in a wrapper that is brown when they fall off the vine to the ground.

    You get about 300 of them or so, from one plant.

    Here's two recipes, I used the jam one. The pectin jam recipe makes more of a spread,

    I haven't done the preserves - I guess that makes more of a solid paste with whole chunks.

    I made jam with pectin, and used my food processor to blend them into mash.

    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/7/Ground-Cherry-Jam100879.shtml

  • @mudfly said:

    Never heard of that either.....blue gills drive me crazy....annoying little nubs they are....but they are GREAT food for my bass and blue cats....

    I do like to shoot them with a 22 though..... they make great moving targets....and it's a good way to cull the herd, while making fish food for the big boys.....

    Here's my standard fishin set up....rods, tackle box, cooler, radio.......and 22..... 🙂

    What? No dynamite? 😮

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @the-gipper said:

    What? No dynamite? 😮

    hahaha.......no dynamite for fishin.......dont want to kill the whole pond.....just a few pesky ones....😉

    BUT, I would LOVE to use dynamite for cutting down a few trees..... fast.......after all, it is time to stock up on firewood

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Making a new log rack, split more wood, bale hay, make

    some more ground cherry/husk tomato jam, and some vidalia onion

    relish, and salsa, all canned, while I watch the last quarter of the squeeler

    and ratbird games while hoping some squeeler players get injured,

    and the squeeler fans get flat tires on the way home.

    Oh, and taking a walk out in our woods. Lunch time is almost over,

    and I want to watch the rest of Tailgate 19 with Kosar and Golic.

    And ignoring the chatter from "Chuck", the guy on the far left.

    man your list made me feel really lazy. Love the recipe for that jam. Mik recipe for that bread too! I see a couple of you were fishing. Were you after steelhead? I used to kill them in Vermillion. I had a bit of sore throat today so my treatment was $50 worth of Fanduel then some shopping while Sirius radio told me how much my rosters sucked lol!!
    SuomiS Suomi wrote on last edited by Suomi
    #60

    @jcam222 said:

    I see a couple of you were fishing. Were you after steelhead? I used to kill them in Vermillion.

    Slayed some chunky bass on tube jigs and watermelon-black flake Yamamoto cut tail worms.

  • man your list made me feel really lazy. Love the recipe for that jam. JCam

    **************************************************

    I take it that you are familiar with ground cherries, they are also called "husk tomatoes".

    It's actually a tomato, kin to the family of tomatillos.

    They come in a wrapper that is brown when they fall off the vine to the ground.

    You get about 300 of them or so, from one plant.

    Here's two recipes, I used the jam one. The pectin jam recipe makes more of a spread,

    I haven't done the preserves - I guess that makes more of a solid paste with whole chunks.

    I made jam with pectin, and used my food processor to blend them into mash.

    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/7/Ground-Cherry-Jam100879.shtml

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @calfoxwc said:

    I take it that you are familiar with ground cherries, they are also called "husk tomatoes".

    Same as or similar to a tomatillo?

  • @canton-mike said:

    It's a little early for steelies. I was catching some big bluegill on the 3 & 4wt fly rods.

    Mike

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that. I am not a fisherman, but I am going on a fly fishing trip to Montana with my son next week. But I figure they will be going for trout. My job will be to take photos....and use the net if necessary.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #62

    @the-gipper said:

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that. I am not a fisherman, but I am going on a fly fishing trip to Montana with my son next week. But I figure they will be going for trout. My job will be to take photos....and use the net if necessary.

    No, your job will be to stand by with a .300 Winchester magnum in case any pesky bears think you were rounding up dinner for them. Actually I'd prefer you use a .375 H&H, but that's a little hard on the shoulder when you touch one off. 🙂

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #63

    Better to be safe then Grizzly chow.

  • @the-gipper said:

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that. I am not a fisherman, but I am going on a fly fishing trip to Montana with my son next week. But I figure they will be going for trout. My job will be to take photos....and use the net if necessary.

    No, your job will be to stand by with a .300 Winchester magnum in case any pesky bears think you were rounding up dinner for them. Actually I'd prefer you use a .375 H&H, but that's a little hard on the shoulder when you touch one off. 🙂

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @hoorta said:

    No, your job will be to stand by with a .300 Winchester magnum in case any pesky bears think you were rounding up dinner for them. Actually I'd prefer you use a .375 H&H, but that's a little hard on the shoulder when you touch one off. 🙂

    No, I won't have a gun. Though my one nephew is a gun freak, so maybe he will have one. That will be his job.

  • @hoorta said:

    No, your job will be to stand by with a .300 Winchester magnum in case any pesky bears think you were rounding up dinner for them. Actually I'd prefer you use a .375 H&H, but that's a little hard on the shoulder when you touch one off. 🙂

    No, I won't have a gun. Though my one nephew is a gun freak, so maybe he will have one. That will be his job.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @the-gipper said:

    No, I won't have a gun. Though my one nephew is a gun freak, so maybe he will have one. That will be his job.

    Gip I was only 1\2 joking. Plenty of guys who were fishing in bear country have been accosted- or flat out attacked- by bears on the lookout for a cheap lunch. So be safe.

    There's areas in Alaska where it's illegal to fish off the banks- for exactly that reason.

  • @the-gipper said:

    No, I won't have a gun. Though my one nephew is a gun freak, so maybe he will have one. That will be his job.

    Gip I was only 1\2 joking. Plenty of guys who were fishing in bear country have been accosted- or flat out attacked- by bears on the lookout for a cheap lunch. So be safe.

    There's areas in Alaska where it's illegal to fish off the banks- for exactly that reason.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #66

    @hoorta said:

    Gip I was only 1\2 joking. Plenty of guys who were fishing in bear country have been accosted- or flat out attacked- by bears on the lookout for a cheap lunch. So be safe.

    There's areas in Alaska where it's illegal to fish off the banks- for exactly that reason.

    Well, if the bear wants my fish, he can have it. I guess we will just have to make a lot of noise to scare the bears away. Maybe take a radio.

  • @hoorta said:

    Gip I was only 1\2 joking. Plenty of guys who were fishing in bear country have been accosted- or flat out attacked- by bears on the lookout for a cheap lunch. So be safe.

    There's areas in Alaska where it's illegal to fish off the banks- for exactly that reason.

    Well, if the bear wants my fish, he can have it. I guess we will just have to make a lot of noise to scare the bears away. Maybe take a radio.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, if the bear wants my fish, he can have it. I guess we will just have to make a lot of noise to scare the bears away. Maybe take a radio.

    As someone who's done a ton of hiking and camping in bear country- here's some advice. Yes, making noise is a good idea- a lot of attacks happen when the bear gets startled. My Alaska pal puts bells on his dogs- and bears generally don't like dogs much anyway.

    Bears go through three phases encountering humans- and take into account, bears are pretty smart critters.

    1) In their natural state, bears will avoid humans

    2) People bring food. A bear that's gotten into a Coleman cooler full of food just once will rip a never used new one apart, if you set it out.

    3) People ARE food, sorry about your luck.

    Depending on your level of paranoia, this stuff is pretty effective http://counterassault.com/ And don't wait until you see the whites of their eyes- the stuff has a range of around 30'.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, if the bear wants my fish, he can have it. I guess we will just have to make a lot of noise to scare the bears away. Maybe take a radio.

    As someone who's done a ton of hiking and camping in bear country- here's some advice. Yes, making noise is a good idea- a lot of attacks happen when the bear gets startled. My Alaska pal puts bells on his dogs- and bears generally don't like dogs much anyway.

    Bears go through three phases encountering humans- and take into account, bears are pretty smart critters.

    1) In their natural state, bears will avoid humans

    2) People bring food. A bear that's gotten into a Coleman cooler full of food just once will rip a never used new one apart, if you set it out.

    3) People ARE food, sorry about your luck.

    Depending on your level of paranoia, this stuff is pretty effective http://counterassault.com/ And don't wait until you see the whites of their eyes- the stuff has a range of around 30'.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @hoorta said:

    As someone who's done a ton of hiking and camping in bear country- here's some advice. Yes, making noise is a good idea- a lot of attacks happen when the bear gets startled. My Alaska pal puts bells on his dogs- and bears generally don't like dogs much anyway.

    Bears go through three phases encountering humans- and take into account, bears are pretty smart critters.

    1) In their natural state, bears will avoid humans

    2) People bring food. A bear that's gotten into a Coleman cooler full of food just once will rip a never used new one apart, if you set it out.

    3) People ARE food, sorry about your luck.

    Depending on your level of paranoia, this stuff is pretty effective http://counterassault.com/ And don't wait until you see the whites of their eyes- the stuff has a range of around 30'.

    Should I also be on alert for Graboids?