Skip to content

So... How are you spending your Bye-Sunday?

The Browns Board
73 30 1.7k
  • man your list made me feel really lazy. Love the recipe for that jam. JCam

    **************************************************

    I take it that you are familiar with ground cherries, they are also called "husk tomatoes".

    It's actually a tomato, kin to the family of tomatillos.

    They come in a wrapper that is brown when they fall off the vine to the ground.

    You get about 300 of them or so, from one plant.

    Here's two recipes, I used the jam one. The pectin jam recipe makes more of a spread,

    I haven't done the preserves - I guess that makes more of a solid paste with whole chunks.

    I made jam with pectin, and used my food processor to blend them into mash.

    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/7/Ground-Cherry-Jam100879.shtml

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @calfoxwc said:

    I take it that you are familiar with ground cherries, they are also called "husk tomatoes".

    Same as or similar to a tomatillo?

  • @canton-mike said:

    It's a little early for steelies. I was catching some big bluegill on the 3 & 4wt fly rods.

    Mike

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that. I am not a fisherman, but I am going on a fly fishing trip to Montana with my son next week. But I figure they will be going for trout. My job will be to take photos....and use the net if necessary.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #62

    @the-gipper said:

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that. I am not a fisherman, but I am going on a fly fishing trip to Montana with my son next week. But I figure they will be going for trout. My job will be to take photos....and use the net if necessary.

    No, your job will be to stand by with a .300 Winchester magnum in case any pesky bears think you were rounding up dinner for them. Actually I'd prefer you use a .375 H&H, but that's a little hard on the shoulder when you touch one off. 🙂

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #63

    Better to be safe then Grizzly chow.

  • @the-gipper said:

    You go fly fishing for blue gill? Hadn't heard of that. I am not a fisherman, but I am going on a fly fishing trip to Montana with my son next week. But I figure they will be going for trout. My job will be to take photos....and use the net if necessary.

    No, your job will be to stand by with a .300 Winchester magnum in case any pesky bears think you were rounding up dinner for them. Actually I'd prefer you use a .375 H&H, but that's a little hard on the shoulder when you touch one off. 🙂

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @hoorta said:

    No, your job will be to stand by with a .300 Winchester magnum in case any pesky bears think you were rounding up dinner for them. Actually I'd prefer you use a .375 H&H, but that's a little hard on the shoulder when you touch one off. 🙂

    No, I won't have a gun. Though my one nephew is a gun freak, so maybe he will have one. That will be his job.

  • @hoorta said:

    No, your job will be to stand by with a .300 Winchester magnum in case any pesky bears think you were rounding up dinner for them. Actually I'd prefer you use a .375 H&H, but that's a little hard on the shoulder when you touch one off. 🙂

    No, I won't have a gun. Though my one nephew is a gun freak, so maybe he will have one. That will be his job.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @the-gipper said:

    No, I won't have a gun. Though my one nephew is a gun freak, so maybe he will have one. That will be his job.

    Gip I was only 1\2 joking. Plenty of guys who were fishing in bear country have been accosted- or flat out attacked- by bears on the lookout for a cheap lunch. So be safe.

    There's areas in Alaska where it's illegal to fish off the banks- for exactly that reason.

  • @the-gipper said:

    No, I won't have a gun. Though my one nephew is a gun freak, so maybe he will have one. That will be his job.

    Gip I was only 1\2 joking. Plenty of guys who were fishing in bear country have been accosted- or flat out attacked- by bears on the lookout for a cheap lunch. So be safe.

    There's areas in Alaska where it's illegal to fish off the banks- for exactly that reason.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #66

    @hoorta said:

    Gip I was only 1\2 joking. Plenty of guys who were fishing in bear country have been accosted- or flat out attacked- by bears on the lookout for a cheap lunch. So be safe.

    There's areas in Alaska where it's illegal to fish off the banks- for exactly that reason.

    Well, if the bear wants my fish, he can have it. I guess we will just have to make a lot of noise to scare the bears away. Maybe take a radio.

  • @hoorta said:

    Gip I was only 1\2 joking. Plenty of guys who were fishing in bear country have been accosted- or flat out attacked- by bears on the lookout for a cheap lunch. So be safe.

    There's areas in Alaska where it's illegal to fish off the banks- for exactly that reason.

    Well, if the bear wants my fish, he can have it. I guess we will just have to make a lot of noise to scare the bears away. Maybe take a radio.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, if the bear wants my fish, he can have it. I guess we will just have to make a lot of noise to scare the bears away. Maybe take a radio.

    As someone who's done a ton of hiking and camping in bear country- here's some advice. Yes, making noise is a good idea- a lot of attacks happen when the bear gets startled. My Alaska pal puts bells on his dogs- and bears generally don't like dogs much anyway.

    Bears go through three phases encountering humans- and take into account, bears are pretty smart critters.

    1) In their natural state, bears will avoid humans

    2) People bring food. A bear that's gotten into a Coleman cooler full of food just once will rip a never used new one apart, if you set it out.

    3) People ARE food, sorry about your luck.

    Depending on your level of paranoia, this stuff is pretty effective http://counterassault.com/ And don't wait until you see the whites of their eyes- the stuff has a range of around 30'.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, if the bear wants my fish, he can have it. I guess we will just have to make a lot of noise to scare the bears away. Maybe take a radio.

    As someone who's done a ton of hiking and camping in bear country- here's some advice. Yes, making noise is a good idea- a lot of attacks happen when the bear gets startled. My Alaska pal puts bells on his dogs- and bears generally don't like dogs much anyway.

    Bears go through three phases encountering humans- and take into account, bears are pretty smart critters.

    1) In their natural state, bears will avoid humans

    2) People bring food. A bear that's gotten into a Coleman cooler full of food just once will rip a never used new one apart, if you set it out.

    3) People ARE food, sorry about your luck.

    Depending on your level of paranoia, this stuff is pretty effective http://counterassault.com/ And don't wait until you see the whites of their eyes- the stuff has a range of around 30'.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @hoorta said:

    As someone who's done a ton of hiking and camping in bear country- here's some advice. Yes, making noise is a good idea- a lot of attacks happen when the bear gets startled. My Alaska pal puts bells on his dogs- and bears generally don't like dogs much anyway.

    Bears go through three phases encountering humans- and take into account, bears are pretty smart critters.

    1) In their natural state, bears will avoid humans

    2) People bring food. A bear that's gotten into a Coleman cooler full of food just once will rip a never used new one apart, if you set it out.

    3) People ARE food, sorry about your luck.

    Depending on your level of paranoia, this stuff is pretty effective http://counterassault.com/ And don't wait until you see the whites of their eyes- the stuff has a range of around 30'.

    Should I also be on alert for Graboids?

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #69

    Same as or similar to a tomatillo? Tour

    ********************************

    No, very different. In the same group as tomatillos,

    except husk tomatoes are in the same kind of "wrapper" leaf,

    and only about 1/2 " big, and half a 1/3 " golden berry inside'

    that tastes like pineapple/plum/exotic fruit flavor.

    They're strange, but sweet and good. Most of the time, at the

    farmer's market, people who try the free samples go wide-eyed and

    say that those are weird, but really excellent.

    Unlike a tomatillo, you don't eat them when they are green - they are sour, funky,

    and I believe a tiny, tiny bit not good for ya.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #70

    The best thing to avoid being bear dinner, is to go out

    and buy a skunk outfit.

    No bear would eat a skunk, so you'd be fine,

    unless the bear had no sense of smell....

    Although, bear spray would also be a good idea, attached

    to your butt under the tail.

    When you go out into the wilderness, you gotta know this stuff....

    adult-skunk-costume.jpg

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #71

    Begs the question... What would eat a skunk?

  • Begs the question... What would eat a skunk?

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @tour2ma said:

    Begs the question... What would eat a skunk?

    hahaha.....tough question......I dont know if he'd actually eat one if he caught it, but my dog Ludwig sure tries.....pee ewe

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #73

    cal has a definitive hatred towards varmints.

    there's a thread on here where he's posted at least 5 vids of a guy dressed as a squirrel.

    meanwhile when i was a kid growing up in sandusky i always wanted to have one as a pet.

    then i learned about rabies.

    raccoons are a bitch around here. very populated area and you'll see one once in awhile go from the street into the drainage ditches. the rich people that live up in the hill over looking the hudson bring their kids down on the weekends to feed them.

    uh................

    best commercial: