Skip to content

The Drop Review

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
8 5 627
  • The Drop

    Fox Searchlight

    R 147 min

    It's been something of a bittersweet time at the theaters what with the posthumous release of a couple films from two good actors, Philip Seymour Hoffman and now James Gandolfini.

    So why was I worried? You know I love organized crime east coast tough guy kind of films. I love Gandolfini and Hardy. I love film noir, even though this one's in color. I'm a fan of everything I've seen from Dennis Lehane.

    To be honest I was afraid this would be a half-baked production quickly slapped together after Gandolfinis death. Well apparently that wasn't the case.

    Thinking about Hoffman's last film, a subtle and understated spy movie, this one is a gangster movie in the same vein. It is a quiet dark and suspenseful but without the periodic explosion of gunfire and street violence.

    Cousin Marv (Gandolfini) is a two-bit loan shark, unscrupulous even by the relaxed standards of loan sharking, who operates a seedy Brooklyn bar that he once owned but lost due to, let's say, some ill-advised business practices.

    Mary's loyal bartender and right hand man is Bob (Hardy) a lonely character who seems to have just a touch of THE USUAL SUSPECTS Verbal and a dash of SLING BLADE's Karl.

    Bob's fortunes seem to have taken a turn for the better when he finds cute puppy and an equally lonely girl (Noomi Rapace) all on the same day. Things turn sour quickly with the appearance of Eric Deeds (Mathias Schoenaerts), an abusive and quite possibly crazy mug, who feels he has a claim to both.

    These are the main players in a situation of intrigue centered on what's commonly called the drop.

    According to the story each week a different mob related bar is selected and the local under bosses will bring their weekly take to that randomly selected establishment for collection.

    Robbing that bar would definitely yield a big jackpot but would most certainly pit the crooks against some very dangerous people.

    This it is a well-acted and complex tale set against the harsh backdrop Brooklyn's organized crime community.

    Two excellent actors (as well as an excellent supporting cast) of completely different styles lead the pack; Hardy, the chameleon who seems to be able to blend into any role and Gandolfini who always seems to be a version of the beloved Tony Soprano.

    One of the year's best so far.

    A-

    WSS

  • I miss gandolfini. Truly. Hoffman was good but went out like such a selfish pick I can't help but say fuck him.

  • Did you see 'enough said'?

  • Did you see 'enough said'?

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Did you see 'enough said'?

    no I didn't. I didn't prioritize it so it got by me. Chick flick for middle aged people?

    WSS

  • Not really a chick flick, but it shows gandolfini has some range beyond gangster

  • The ending of the Soprano's was disappointing though. At least to me.

  • The Drop

    Fox Searchlight

    R 147 min

    It's been something of a bittersweet time at the theaters what with the posthumous release of a couple films from two good actors, Philip Seymour Hoffman and now James Gandolfini.

    So why was I worried? You know I love organized crime east coast tough guy kind of films. I love Gandolfini and Hardy. I love film noir, even though this one's in color. I'm a fan of everything I've seen from Dennis Lehane.

    To be honest I was afraid this would be a half-baked production quickly slapped together after Gandolfinis death. Well apparently that wasn't the case.

    Thinking about Hoffman's last film, a subtle and understated spy movie, this one is a gangster movie in the same vein. It is a quiet dark and suspenseful but without the periodic explosion of gunfire and street violence.

    Cousin Marv (Gandolfini) is a two-bit loan shark, unscrupulous even by the relaxed standards of loan sharking, who operates a seedy Brooklyn bar that he once owned but lost due to, let's say, some ill-advised business practices.

    Mary's loyal bartender and right hand man is Bob (Hardy) a lonely character who seems to have just a touch of THE USUAL SUSPECTS Verbal and a dash of SLING BLADE's Karl.

    Bob's fortunes seem to have taken a turn for the better when he finds cute puppy and an equally lonely girl (Noomi Rapace) all on the same day. Things turn sour quickly with the appearance of Eric Deeds (Mathias Schoenaerts), an abusive and quite possibly crazy mug, who feels he has a claim to both.

    These are the main players in a situation of intrigue centered on what's commonly called the drop.

    According to the story each week a different mob related bar is selected and the local under bosses will bring their weekly take to that randomly selected establishment for collection.

    Robbing that bar would definitely yield a big jackpot but would most certainly pit the crooks against some very dangerous people.

    This it is a well-acted and complex tale set against the harsh backdrop Brooklyn's organized crime community.

    Two excellent actors (as well as an excellent supporting cast) of completely different styles lead the pack; Hardy, the chameleon who seems to be able to blend into any role and Gandolfini who always seems to be a version of the beloved Tony Soprano.

    One of the year's best so far.

    A-

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    One of the year's best so far.

    A-

    I freakin' loved this movie and Tom Hardy, who was rivetingly understated as Bob. Remembered him from Inception, but nothing else.

    Main reason I searched this review out was that I cannot wait to see him in his double starring-roll as the Crays in the newly released Legend.

  • @westside-steve said:

    One of the year's best so far.

    A-

    I freakin' loved this movie and Tom Hardy, who was rivetingly understated as Bob. Remembered him from Inception, but nothing else.

    Main reason I searched this review out was that I cannot wait to see him in his double starring-roll as the Crays in the newly released Legend.

    @tour2ma said:

    I freakin' loved this movie and Tom Hardy, who was rivetingly understated as Bob. Remembered him from Inception, but nothing else.

    Main reason I searched this review out was that I cannot wait to see him in his double starring-roll as the Crays in the newly released Legend.

    Of course, Tom Hardy plays the new Mad Max.