Skip to content

Marcus Mariota is nothing special.

The Browns Board
17 12 687
  • Just watched this OREGON ZONA game and I have to say, it seems Matiota just steamrolls lower level competition. He doesn't seem elite by any means and isn't special at anyone thing. He's good but really does hold onto the ball way too long. Dude doesn't have the Manziel 6th sense of eyes in the back of the head. Anyways, draft gurus and many Browns fans have been salivating over this guy. I just don't see it.

    @walterwhite said:

    Just watched this OREGON ZONA game and I have to say, it seems Matiota just steamrolls lower level competition. He doesn't seem elite by any means and isn't special at anyone thing. He's good but really does hold onto the ball way too long. Dude doesn't have the Manziel 6th sense of eyes in the back of the head. Anyways, draft gurus and many Browns fans have been salivating over this guy. I just don't see it.

    Recent article is SI had Mariotta as the #1 overall. I'd certainly take a chance on him ahead of Winston. Academic for the Browns, as it's nearly impossible they will draft a qb in the first round in 2015.

  • I think he's good but I didn't see anything "elite" or Heisman worthy out of him, I don't know maybe it's just Oregon's wacky offenses.

    But damn he holds onto that ball forever.

    I'd love to see the Heisman go to a guy like Gurley or Cooper instead of a QB again.

  • Perilously close to agreeing with Walter here....

    Fortunately for me the thread is in the wrong forum.

  • Just wait until JFF starts.....

  • I hate too toot my own horn here but I remember posting about how Mariota is not a franchise QB back in the thread about having two top 5 picks.

    I won't take any kid from Oregon as my QB. The scheme is simplified. The coaches make all the checks and calls at the line. You're never under center and the reads are nothing like the pro level.

  • I hate to say it, but if I had to choose between him and Winston, it has been and probably always will be Winston

  • Just watched this OREGON ZONA game and I have to say, it seems Matiota just steamrolls lower level competition. He doesn't seem elite by any means and isn't special at anyone thing. He's good but really does hold onto the ball way too long. Dude doesn't have the Manziel 6th sense of eyes in the back of the head. Anyways, draft gurus and many Browns fans have been salivating over this guy. I just don't see it.

    @walterwhite said:

    Just watched this OREGON ZONA game and I have to say, it seems Matiota just steamrolls lower level competition. He doesn't seem elite by any means and isn't special at anyone thing. He's good but really does hold onto the ball way too long. Dude doesn't have the Manziel 6th sense of eyes in the back of the head. Anyways, draft gurus and many Browns fans have been salivating over this guy. I just don't see it.

    Thanks Mel. Where does he stand on your Big Board?

  • He's got the tools though and with the right coaching could be a caepernick type prospect. Just gotta learn to read D's

  • He's got the tools though and with the right coaching could be a caepernick type prospect. Just gotta learn to read D's

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    He's got the tools though and with the right coaching could be a caepernick type prospect. Just gotta learn to read D's

    I honestly wouldn't want a Kaep type prospect on this team. If it wasn't for that kids elite arm strength, the San Fran offense would be in a hell of a lot of trouble.

  • I hate too toot my own horn here but I remember posting about how Mariota is not a franchise QB back in the thread about having two top 5 picks.

    I won't take any kid from Oregon as my QB. The scheme is simplified. The coaches make all the checks and calls at the line. You're never under center and the reads are nothing like the pro level.

    @tiamat63 said:

    I hate too toot my own horn here but I remember posting about how Mariota is not a franchise QB back in the thread about having two top 5 picks.

    I won't take any kid from Oregon as my QB. The scheme is simplified. The coaches make all the checks and calls at the line. You're never under center and the reads are nothing like the pro level.

    Past performance is no guarantee of future results- but Oregon Quarterbacks have sucked in the NFL- led by notables Akilli Smith and Joey Harrington.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I hate too toot my own horn here but I remember posting about how Mariota is not a franchise QB back in the thread about having two top 5 picks.

    I won't take any kid from Oregon as my QB. The scheme is simplified. The coaches make all the checks and calls at the line. You're never under center and the reads are nothing like the pro level.

    Past performance is no guarantee of future results- but Oregon Quarterbacks have sucked in the NFL- led by notables Akilli Smith and Joey Harrington.

    @hoorta said:

    Past performance is no guarantee of future results- but Oregon Quarterbacks have sucked in the NFL- led by notables Akilli Smith and Joey Harrington.

    For me its again, not so much the school - but the offense. None of it is conducive to the NFL and you have kids that will be running it near 4+ years.

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    He's got the tools though and with the right coaching could be a caepernick type prospect. Just gotta learn to read D's

    I honestly wouldn't want a Kaep type prospect on this team. If it wasn't for that kids elite arm strength, the San Fran offense would be in a hell of a lot of trouble.

    @tiamat63 said:

    I honestly wouldn't want a Kaep type prospect on this team.

    Agree... The verdict is still not even in as to whether Kaepernick is a "caepernick type prospect".

    @tiamat63 said:

    I hate too toot my own horn...

    Sure you do... 😉

  • i toot my own horn at least 3 times a day.

    now i look like a dried prune.

  • Personally I think he will have more success in the nfl than any qb taken in the last 2 drafts.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I hate too toot my own horn here but I remember posting about how Mariota is not a franchise QB back in the thread about having two top 5 picks.

    I won't take any kid from Oregon as my QB. The scheme is simplified. The coaches make all the checks and calls at the line. You're never under center and the reads are nothing like the pro level.

    Past performance is no guarantee of future results- but Oregon Quarterbacks have sucked in the NFL- led by notables Akilli Smith and Joey Harrington.

    @hoorta said:

    Past performance is no guarantee of future results- but Oregon Quarterbacks have sucked in the NFL- led by notables Akilli Smith and Joey Harrington.

    What about HOFer Dan Fouts?

  • The browns are nothing special