Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Is the defensive scheme the problem? Or is it the players?

Is the defensive scheme the problem? Or is it the players?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
41 Posts 18 Posters 1.3k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Suomi SuomiS
    • 466 Posts
    • 88 Reputation
    SuomiS Suomi wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Is it the new scheme the cause of the Browns' less-than-stellar defensive performance to-date? Is this scheme very difficult to learn - or is it not intuitive? Last week I kept reading that both Pettine and the players claimed that they just need to play their role and stop trying to make plays. Sounds like they haven't grasped the system yet, and their performance on the field is evidence of that.

    Does this scheme require different players to operate effectively? Players that are more disciplined who will learn and play their "role"? I can't recall a stretch of 4 games where the Browns' tackling was as poor as this - is that a function of players abandoning their "role" and trying to make plays?

    ???

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
      • 24k Posts
      • 1k Reputation
      C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
      #2

      It's a good question. I'm just not sure if what I'm seeing is scheme related or not. If it is, teams have def solved it the scheme. It's just hard to imagine a defense struggling with a scheme to still look that bad. I know people are going to say they pitched a shutout in the 2nd half...but I think that had a lot to do with the Titans offense getting away from the run because Hoyer was starting to score. Our defense will always look ok as long as it isn't faced with a strong running attack. I shudder to think what that 49'ers run master O line would do to the browns right now. I think Gore and Hyde would both go for over 100.

      bbedwardB 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • miktoxic miktoxicM
        • 13k Posts
        • 1k Reputation
        miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
        #3

        dudes. savor the win.

        stop it pleez.

        enough said.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • TypicalBrowns TypicalBrownsT
          • 1k Posts
          • 98 Reputation
          TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Its scheme, man coverage these days in the NFL, with the new DB rules, just not a consistent way to stop an NFL defense, need to play zone more, our dbs (even Haden) just aren't good enough at just man coverage.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • TypicalBrowns TypicalBrownsT
            • 1k Posts
            • 98 Reputation
            TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Officiating has changed the game unfortunately.

            The GipperT jrb12711J 2 Replies Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
              #6

              I think the talent is there. It just has to mesh with the system. Not that we couldn't use more talent....always can do that...but for now we can only hope this group improves in this system. It seemed to work for the second half yesterday...and in game 1 vs. Squibs. It now has to go for a full game.

              Two more first round picks next year may help with some talent.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns

                Officiating has changed the game unfortunately.

                The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                • 57k Posts
                • 4k Reputation
                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @typicalbrowns said:

                Officiating has changed the game unfortunately.

                Somewhat, yes. I don't think DBs can be as aggressive. I think that has hurt Haden.

                ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns

                  Officiating has changed the game unfortunately.

                  jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 5k Posts
                  • 1k Reputation
                  jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @typicalbrowns said:

                  Officiating has changed the game unfortunately.

                  Watching the late game last night they noted that through week 5 last year there were 38 illegal contact/holding penalties on the defense. Halfway through the late game last night, there have been 90 such calls this year. When it's all said and done after tonight's game, we're looking at roughly 250% increase in that penalty being called. That stuff changes the game man.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • C Clevfan4life

                    It's a good question. I'm just not sure if what I'm seeing is scheme related or not. If it is, teams have def solved it the scheme. It's just hard to imagine a defense struggling with a scheme to still look that bad. I know people are going to say they pitched a shutout in the 2nd half...but I think that had a lot to do with the Titans offense getting away from the run because Hoyer was starting to score. Our defense will always look ok as long as it isn't faced with a strong running attack. I shudder to think what that 49'ers run master O line would do to the browns right now. I think Gore and Hyde would both go for over 100.

                    bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 9k Posts
                    • 1k Reputation
                    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @clevfan4life said:

                    It's a good question. I'm just not sure if what I'm seeing is scheme related or not. If it is, teams have def solved it the scheme. It's just hard to imagine a defense struggling with a scheme to still look that bad. I know people are going to say they pitched a shutout in the 2nd half...but I think that had a lot to do with the Titans offense getting away from the run because Hoyer was starting to score. Our defense will always look ok as long as it isn't faced with a strong running attack. I shudder to think what that 49'ers run master O line would do to the browns right now. I think Gore and Hyde would both go for over 100.

                    I do agree I think the titans got away from the run too early for some reason. What did they average, 7YPC in the first half?

                    C 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • bbedwardB bbedward

                      @clevfan4life said:

                      It's a good question. I'm just not sure if what I'm seeing is scheme related or not. If it is, teams have def solved it the scheme. It's just hard to imagine a defense struggling with a scheme to still look that bad. I know people are going to say they pitched a shutout in the 2nd half...but I think that had a lot to do with the Titans offense getting away from the run because Hoyer was starting to score. Our defense will always look ok as long as it isn't faced with a strong running attack. I shudder to think what that 49'ers run master O line would do to the browns right now. I think Gore and Hyde would both go for over 100.

                      I do agree I think the titans got away from the run too early for some reason. What did they average, 7YPC in the first half?

                      Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                      • 24k Posts
                      • 1k Reputation
                      C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      yeah something like that. Why they brought in Whitehurst and put the game in his arm is beyond me. Fuggin run the ball and maybe we don't make that comeback cause our defense wouldn't have gotten off the field for the entire 2nd half.

                      @bbedward said:

                      I do agree I think the titans got away from the run too early for some reason. What did they average, 7YPC in the first half?

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                        • 30k Posts
                        • 6k Reputation
                        Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        First, my answer to the OP's question is both.

                        Players:

                        Our assembled D personnel were not "all that" last year; they had issues. This year 9 of 11 starters are back and at least in my estimation the two "new guys" are a net wash with the departed.

                        Scheme:

                        Going from a 3-4 with Kruger as a beefed-up, stand-up, rushing OLB to a "hybrid" with Kruger as a slimmed-down, stand-up, rushing OLB/DE is not as earth shatteringly different as I thought it would be.

                        Best I can see the biggest difference between last and this year's D is that last year I held out; this year I bought in.

                        "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • D Bone D BoneD Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 8k Posts
                          • 3k Reputation
                          D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
                          #12

                          I had been thinking scheme was the issue since pre-season, but man, now I'm starting to wonder if it isn't more of a talent issue. When we drafted Gilbert, most, if not all of us assumed we would have 2 'shut down corners' which would allow us to do all sorts of aggressive packages, especially with the additions of Whitner and Dansby. Now, it's safe to declare we barley have just 1 above avg NFL CB, and the other guys just look, well, not very good. Yes, they do have their moments like yesterday's 4th and 1 stuffage, but they also stink it up for more plays than they don't.

                          Seems to me, there is only so much 'magic' in any particular scheme, and you simply have to have talent on the field to play well, no matter what magical scheme is being run.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • jcam222 jcam222J Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 3k Posts
                            • 873 Reputation
                            jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            It may be a mixed bag of a lot of things but I am starting to believe in many cases its on the players lack of focus and execution. We miss so many tackles I can't believe my TV isnt broken. I don't think for most of the players its a talent issue either I simply think they come out flat and need a fire under their ass. The only place my opinion differs on that is with Haden and Skrine. The focus on playing man uncovers significant weaknesses on the part of both of them. This is an area that I think the coaches should fix by abandoning their obsession with man coverage and better utilizing the talent we have.

                            slimdawgS 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • LBC mike LBC mikeL Reacting Well Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Dedicated One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                              • 3k Posts
                              • 297 Reputation
                              LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              the offenses are changing to more of a spread. with the new rules it neuters the db. this opens for allot of qb scramble.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • miktoxic miktoxicM
                                • 13k Posts
                                • 1k Reputation
                                miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                that's why nowadays as a DC DON"T put a stamp on your scheme. 4-3, 3-4. how about being a fluid changing thing depending on your opponent you are facing?

                                sheard mingo and kruger should have at least 2 sacks by now.

                                step up to the plate pettine and bring the gloves out of your panty drawer. sure you look tough but i'm still waiting for a knockout.

                                C 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • The GipperT The Gipper

                                  @typicalbrowns said:

                                  Officiating has changed the game unfortunately.

                                  Somewhat, yes. I don't think DBs can be as aggressive. I think that has hurt Haden.

                                  ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 9k Posts
                                  • 2k Reputation
                                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @the-gipper said:

                                  Somewhat, yes. I don't think DBs can be as aggressive. I think that has hurt Haden.

                                  Not just Haden. This is playing out all over the league, so this isn't just a Joe Haden sucks type of deal as some think.

                                  The NFL brass doesn't want tough, low scoring defensive battles. They want arena league type scoring. First it was no touching the QB. Now you really can't cover the receivers. The most the DBs can do is run and chase and hope for a bad pass to fall incomplete or be underthrown where they might have a chance to defend it.

                                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                                  miktoxicM Tour2maT 2 Replies Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • ballpeenB ballpeen

                                    @the-gipper said:

                                    Somewhat, yes. I don't think DBs can be as aggressive. I think that has hurt Haden.

                                    Not just Haden. This is playing out all over the league, so this isn't just a Joe Haden sucks type of deal as some think.

                                    The NFL brass doesn't want tough, low scoring defensive battles. They want arena league type scoring. First it was no touching the QB. Now you really can't cover the receivers. The most the DBs can do is run and chase and hope for a bad pass to fall incomplete or be underthrown where they might have a chance to defend it.

                                    miktoxic miktoxicM
                                    • 13k Posts
                                    • 1k Reputation
                                    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @ballpeen said:

                                    Not just Haden. This is playing out all over the league, so this isn't just a Joe Haden sucks type of deal as some think.

                                    The NFL brass doesn't want tough, low scoring defensive battles. They want arena league type scoring. First it was no touching the QB. Now you really can't cover the receivers. The most the DBs can do is run and chase and hope for a bad pass to fall incomplete or be underthrown where they might have a chance to defend it.

                                    from your lips to god's ears.

                                    100% correct.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • ballpeenB ballpeen

                                      @the-gipper said:

                                      Somewhat, yes. I don't think DBs can be as aggressive. I think that has hurt Haden.

                                      Not just Haden. This is playing out all over the league, so this isn't just a Joe Haden sucks type of deal as some think.

                                      The NFL brass doesn't want tough, low scoring defensive battles. They want arena league type scoring. First it was no touching the QB. Now you really can't cover the receivers. The most the DBs can do is run and chase and hope for a bad pass to fall incomplete or be underthrown where they might have a chance to defend it.

                                      Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                                      • 30k Posts
                                      • 6k Reputation
                                      Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @ballpeen said:

                                      Not just Haden. This is playing out all over the league, so this isn't just a Joe Haden sucks type of deal as some think.

                                      True... even Sherman has looked human. Makes it even more important to play tough in those first 5-yards where you can contact them.

                                      "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                                      ManzierM 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • Tour2maT Tour2ma

                                        @ballpeen said:

                                        Not just Haden. This is playing out all over the league, so this isn't just a Joe Haden sucks type of deal as some think.

                                        True... even Sherman has looked human. Makes it even more important to play tough in those first 5-yards where you can contact them.

                                        Manzier ManzierM
                                        • 853 Posts
                                        • 125 Reputation
                                        ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @tour2ma said:

                                        True... even Sherman has looked human. Makes it even more important to play tough in those first 5-yards where you can contact them.

                                        Right now it seems like the best pass defense is a pass rush. Gotta knock the QB down before the receiver gets loose.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 2k Posts
                                          • 390 Reputation
                                          CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          Sherman got "beat" on a zone play like the one where Joe was slow or late in his reading of the play.

                                          I think as the year goes on the players will adapt. It can't get any worse for our secondary..

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate