Skip to content

Next up.....Jags

The Browns Board
26 20 1.5k
  • Ok....time to stop basking in the glow of last weeks win and start to look forward to the next game in Jacksonville. I know a LOT of people already have this one(and the next few, ftm) in the bag, but Im more of a "one game at a time" type....so, let's have it....

    Cliches: Let's get THESE out of the way first.....this is a trap game....on any given Sunday blah blah blah.....the most dangerous animal is blah blah blah......the difference between good teams and bad teams is blah blah blah.....

    Ok, now onto the DEEP analysis...

    Quick Analysis: After reviewing game tape and all the nuances of both Jacksonvilles offensive game and defensive, I have concluded beyond a shadow of doubt that they completely suck. Plain and simple.

    Team strengths: None. ....but IF we're gonna pick something, it's their D line, which plays into our strength at O line and running. I dont see them stopping us. I do see the Browns rushing for 200+ yards though.

    Team Weaknesses: Offense(32nd) & Defense(30th).....the D allowed 31- 41- 44- 33 points in the first 4 games. They did hold the Squealer Offense to 10 pts(hahaha) and Tenn to 14, but all the 'good' teams they played crushed them.

    Bortles: Blakey Boy is playing well and moving the ball. Not so much scoring though. Lots of dink and dunk short stuff and lots of interceptions & sacks. His lack of experience will REALLY show when the Browns start throwing up confusing fronts and crazy blitzes. If we confused Brees and Rapistburger, then Blake shouldn't be able to figure it out either. Look for him to throw some pics and eat sod.

    They are giving up a massive amount of sacks.....Washington had 10 against them and Tenn had 6.....WOW!....With Bortles throwing pics and getting sacked at a high rate, I expect MASSIVE blitzing and lots of fun. Looking for our pics and sack #'s to go up this week!!!

    Intangibles: I didn't spend any real time on the X's and O's, as we are a stronger team across the board. On paper, we "should" win all phases of this game. So comparing all positions would be a mute point. But, looking at the cliches, we could meet a difficult challenge if these guys decide to win a game. I think the Browns will show up in the right frame of mind.....and not over confident. The Jags could be broken spirits OR they could be mad. Not sure what their character is yet. But, I suspect if we knock them in the teeth FAST, they will go down easy. But, If we allow them to get into the game, then they may try to win. Can't let that happen.

    Prediction: I say we go down there and enjoy the benefit of another stadium loaded with Browns fans.....and win with authority.....and the D scores too.....Browns 41 - Jags 13

  • I was surprised we are only for 4 point favorites ... which means Vegas thinks were are 7 points better. We should win by ten or more. I thought Jax would be an improved team this year, after the way they ended the season last year, bu the run game has been bad, Bortles is learning on the job and the defense is a disappointment.

    Then again, I thought we would wax them last there ... but we weren't a real team then.

    Zombo

  • If the staff gets any sense that the team has a hangover or is taking JAX too lightly, the TN game is still a recent memory...

    Add in the injury situation...

    Should be more than enough to remind the team that they are not that good...

    ... yet...

  • The Browns move up 8 spots in the BSPN power rankings this week with Jacksonville dead last.

    I hope they put their foot on the Jags throat early, and don't let up.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/7

  • Thanks for the analysis. I was just starting to think about the game this weekend and I realized that outside of MAYBE 4 players (fantasy football guys) I knew nothing about the Jags. I know it's cliche, but I do have some concern about playing down to their level after a huge rivalry win. It's seemingly good though to have lost the guys last week we did as we have a chance to build chemistry against a weaker team. I really hope the defense continues building momentum off of last week's win as well as these next three weeks could REALLY boost moral in that group.

    I see this game being closer than what it should be early, but foresee a win 31-17 win.

  • I don't expect the browns to take them lightly. I expect something along the lines of 38-10.

    Browns should be beaming with confidence, and play like it.

  • 4 point favorites? Think I'm gonna bet that.

    Jacksonville sucks. We should have smashed them last year. We are much better (we no longer have Weeden) they are not. We should win easy.

    I hope we throttle them and build on our confidence and don't get too confident. I don't see that happening but until we throw more complete games together (and not just great halves) I'll be cautious.

    I'll take 31-13

  • I have actually watched two Jaguars games in their entirety this season (the only AFC game on in this area and the wife refuses to have a sat dish on the house). They are without question the worst NFL team I have ever watched. The have no one who is an offensive threat outside of Bortles and if you can name half the guys that start for them on defense off the top of your head (no Google, no rosters) I'd buy you a steak. The O-line is unbelievably bad... I actually thought that they might hold Bortles out this season just to save him from getting his ass kicked every week. The craziest part of this week's game is on the local radio down here before the season started, there were people legitimately talking about the Jags making the playoffs. And not just drunk call-ins... there were dudes who are paid to work at radio stations who actually believed the Jags could make the playoffs this year.

  • I have actually watched two Jaguars games in their entirety this season (the only AFC game on in this area and the wife refuses to have a sat dish on the house). They are without question the worst NFL team I have ever watched. The have no one who is an offensive threat outside of Bortles and if you can name half the guys that start for them on defense off the top of your head (no Google, no rosters) I'd buy you a steak. The O-line is unbelievably bad... I actually thought that they might hold Bortles out this season just to save him from getting his ass kicked every week. The craziest part of this week's game is on the local radio down here before the season started, there were people legitimately talking about the Jags making the playoffs. And not just drunk call-ins... there were dudes who are paid to work at radio stations who actually believed the Jags could make the playoffs this year.

    @northfloridadawg said:

    I have actually watched two Jaguars games in their entirety this season (the only AFC game on in this area and the wife refuses to have a sat dish on the house). They are without question the worst NFL team I have ever watched. The have no one who is an offensive threat outside of Bortles and if you can name half the guys that start for them on defense off the top of your head (no Google, no rosters) I'd buy you a steak. The O-line is unbelievably bad... I actually thought that they might hold Bortles out this season just to save him from getting his ass kicked every week. The craziest part of this week's game is on the local radio down here before the season started, there were people legitimately talking about the Jags making the playoffs. And not just drunk call-ins... there were dudes who are paid to work at radio stations who actually believed the Jags could make the playoffs this year.

    Still possible, just win out after the Browns beat them 27-17
  • I was surprised we are only for 4 point favorites ... which means Vegas thinks were are 7 points better. We should win by ten or more. I thought Jax would be an improved team this year, after the way they ended the season last year, bu the run game has been bad, Bortles is learning on the job and the defense is a disappointment.

    Then again, I thought we would wax them last there ... but we weren't a real team then.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I was surprised we are only for 4 point favorites ... which means Vegas thinks were are 7 points better.

    Zombo

    @downsouthkc said:

    4 point favorites? Think I'm gonna bet that.

    It's creeping up.... should be 7 by the end of week....right now betting is strong on the Browns, so many odds are at 5 to 6 and climbing....

  • I've seen the Brown play in Florida on multiple occasions but have yet to see them win. I'm looking forward to my first time watching the boys win a game here in Florida. Don't let me down!!!

  • Zombo said:

    I was surprised we are only for 4 point favorites ... which means Vegas thinks were are 7 points better.

    Zombo

    @downsouthkc said:

    4 point favorites? Think I'm gonna bet that.

    It's creeping up.... should be 7 by the end of week....right now betting is strong on the Browns, so many odds are at 5 to 6 and climbing....

    @mudfly said:

    It's creeping up.... should be 7 by the end of week....right now betting is strong on the Browns, so many odds are at 5 to 6 and climbing....

    The experienced gamblers will throw down $$ early and that will force that line up a fair bit very soon.

    Edit: this game worries me from an offensive stand point. We won't miss Mack so much in the run game, but pass protection will suffer. Last I checked, the Jags have a pretty good pass rush as well.

  • I guess the result of this game goes hand in hand with Mike Pettine and this staff's coaching this week.

    If these coaches are as good as we think, this game shouldn't be close.

  • I guess the result of this game goes hand in hand with Mike Pettine and this staff's coaching this week.

    If these coaches are as good as we think, this game shouldn't be close.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I guess the result of this game goes hand in hand with Mike Pettine and this staff's coaching this week.

    If these coaches are as good as we think, this game shouldn't be close.

    I believe that the coach's success is already showing in spades...

    The fact that we got our asses handed to us in the first half at Pitts and Tenn, then came out and kicked their asses, SHOWS me that this team has character...and I think it's the coaching......last year we kicked ass in the first 1/2, then lost....over and over again...

    And after that record setting come back in Tenn, you'd almost expect a let down. But, no....We came home, worked hard, showed improvement and had our best game yet...kicking the crap out of pitts

    So...all this, plus the home opener - Pitts losing streaks broken.....tells me Pettine looks like the man...

  • Would require you guys falling asleep at the wheel and us playing a near perfect game to see anything other then a blow out Sunday.

  • Everything on paper says we should win...and that's exactly what scares me.

  • The jags always seem to have the browns number too

  • Just read that Williams is probably a no go with his concussion.

    Time for Gilbert to step up. Big game for him.

    Hurns has elite speed and Shorts showed us last year he can give Haden fits.

    Better score early and often

  • Gilbert will have an interception and step up this game. Rookie learning curve, that's all, he'll be fine.

  • As all Browns fans know, we can never make these type of games look easy. Bortles not good with pressure in his face, but were not getting enough from our D either. Lots of screens, Shorts lll, Hurns good 2nd WR. Cover clean and must tackle. Bortles 3 turnovers BROWNS 24 Rags 16. Go Dawgs!!