Skip to content

Have we given up on special teams?

The Browns Board
13 12 715
  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Benji, 1 muff, lost step with knee? To many penalties? Great change not to run ball out deep in endzone and playing the better field position. We have quicker people than Jim Leonard?? Are we being to conservative??

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Yeah I don't like it, Benji needs to man up or why not try Gilbert or Gabriel?

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #3

    They probably dont want to risk anyone getting hurt at shallow positions.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I think we have like 3 punt return yards. It's not the Josh Cribbs days ... But those teams sucked. Right now I'm ok with "just don't fumble" ... Hoyer the Scorer will take care of the rest.

    Z

  • They probably dont want to risk anyone getting hurt at shallow positions.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    They probably dont want to risk anyone getting hurt at shallow positions.

    Yeah, I can understand Gilbert because that is a somewhat shallow position. I'd like to see what Gabriel can do though, Benjamin is doing good things for us but not returning punts.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    1 - Kick returns are pointless nowadays, which is sad.

    2 - Punt Returns are becoming very difficult. How many punts are right next to the sidelines or out of bounds? Teams have figured it out, kick it high and toward a line and play max cover. We haven't seen many returns in the NFL this season. That is still no excuse for the fact that we have a holding penalty on literally every return we do try. I say just fair catch it, don't fumble, and let the offense take over. I'm fine with that.

  • 1 - Kick returns are pointless nowadays, which is sad.

    2 - Punt Returns are becoming very difficult. How many punts are right next to the sidelines or out of bounds? Teams have figured it out, kick it high and toward a line and play max cover. We haven't seen many returns in the NFL this season. That is still no excuse for the fact that we have a holding penalty on literally every return we do try. I say just fair catch it, don't fumble, and let the offense take over. I'm fine with that.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @thenew23 said:

    1 - Kick returns are pointless nowadays, which is sad.

    2 - Punt Returns are becoming very difficult. How many punts are right next to the sidelines or out of bounds? Teams have figured it out, kick it high and toward a line and play max cover. We haven't seen many returns in the NFL this season. That is still no excuse for the fact that we have a holding penalty on literally every return we do try. I say just fair catch it, don't fumble, and let the offense take over. I'm fine with that.

    THIS. Tell your players to fair catch and not touch ANYONE. I've never seen a team get a flag on every single fucking PR
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    I agree. They just need to let the SP players know we are fair catching everything and do a minimum on blocking AT THE LINE ONLY with hands closed so they don't grab.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #9

    The NFL kickoff rule change has pussified what used to be an exciting component of the game. The league's goal, I think, is to reduce the rate of high-impact collisions and

    player lawsuits. I'd guess the touchback percentage is near fifty percent. It would not surprise me if the league scuttles the kickoff altogether. Are we not men?

  • The NFL kickoff rule change has pussified what used to be an exciting component of the game. The league's goal, I think, is to reduce the rate of high-impact collisions and

    player lawsuits. I'd guess the touchback percentage is near fifty percent. It would not surprise me if the league scuttles the kickoff altogether. Are we not men?

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @slowburn said:

    The NFL kickoff rule change has pussified what used to be an exciting component of the game. The league's goal, I think, is to reduce the rate of high-impact collisions and

    player lawsuits. I'd guess the touchback percentage is near fifty percent. It would not surprise me if the league scuttles the kickoff altogether. Are we not men?

    If by "we" you mean Roger Goodell, then no we are not men
  • The NFL kickoff rule change has pussified what used to be an exciting component of the game. The league's goal, I think, is to reduce the rate of high-impact collisions and

    player lawsuits. I'd guess the touchback percentage is near fifty percent. It would not surprise me if the league scuttles the kickoff altogether. Are we not men?

    R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @slowburn said:

    Are we not men?

    We are Devo

  • 1 - Kick returns are pointless nowadays, which is sad.

    2 - Punt Returns are becoming very difficult. How many punts are right next to the sidelines or out of bounds? Teams have figured it out, kick it high and toward a line and play max cover. We haven't seen many returns in the NFL this season. That is still no excuse for the fact that we have a holding penalty on literally every return we do try. I say just fair catch it, don't fumble, and let the offense take over. I'm fine with that.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @thenew23 said:

    1 - Kick returns are pointless nowadays, which is sad.

    2 - Punt Returns are becoming very difficult. How many punts are right next to the sidelines or out of bounds? Teams have figured it out, kick it high and toward a line and play max cover. We haven't seen many returns in the NFL this season. That is still no excuse for the fact that we have a holding penalty on literally every return we do try. I say just fair catch it, don't fumble, and let the offense take over. I'm fine with that.

    Yup... not to mention the "block in the back" flags.

  • 1 - Kick returns are pointless nowadays, which is sad.

    2 - Punt Returns are becoming very difficult. How many punts are right next to the sidelines or out of bounds? Teams have figured it out, kick it high and toward a line and play max cover. We haven't seen many returns in the NFL this season. That is still no excuse for the fact that we have a holding penalty on literally every return we do try. I say just fair catch it, don't fumble, and let the offense take over. I'm fine with that.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @thenew23 said:

    2 - Punt Returns are becoming very difficult. How many punts are right next to the sidelines or out of bounds? Teams have figured it out, kick it high and toward a line and play max cover. We haven't seen many returns in the NFL this season. That is still no excuse for the fact that we have a holding penalty on literally every return we do try. I say just fair catch it, don't fumble, and let the offense take over. I'm fine with that.

    Hence the reason we see Leonard back there on a lot of punts. He's not running the thing anywhere....all he's back there for is to fair catch the sucker...